Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imetec Dreamland Kingsize Underblanket Controller Problem

Options
  • 23-10-2008 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Bought two of these underblankets in Argos about 15 months ago one for me and one for my parents.
    The blanket itself I could notfault, the problem I had with the first one was that the controller malfunctioned on one side after about 6 months,

"The cut off mechanism that switches the blanket off after 75 minutes or 12 hours fails to reset when switched on or off therefore wont heat the blanket." Tried all the unplugging, etc but no go.

I am getting by with using the second controller on my side at present.
    Yesterday my mum told me to have a look at her blanket, same problem.
    My feeling that this is a very common problem that occurs with normal usage. I dont keep receipts for all electrical good below €100 so i dont have any guarentee. What i would like is to buy get replacement.
    controllers.
    The website address for Imetec www.imetec.co.uk is a blank page plus the phone number gives an automated service which doesent answer my questions
    I would not recommend Imetec Dreamland or their products.
    Anyone else experience the same problem

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Why not try this crowd and see if they can advise you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 wtk2007

Thanks Oryx,

I Tried Dimpco but it lead to the Imetec Italian Site which then lead me back to the Automated UK number again. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

wtk2007 wrote: »
    Thanks Oryx,

I Tried Dimpco but it lead to the Imetec Italian Site which then lead me back to the Automated UK number again. :(
    When you say you tried, did you phone them? Dimpco Dublin, I mean. I know we live in an online age, but theres nothing beats a real conversation in order to get somewhere. :)

And is this the UK number you tried? Note theres an address also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mooky

I am having problems. MY blanket stopped working ten months after I bought it. I had it tested, it was the heat controller. Not goo after paying quite a bit for it. I could not find anywhere just to get a new contol from. I brought a new blanket, cheaper one, and use control with older blanket.
    I would love to buy a new heat control only, for my other blanket;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

mooky wrote: »

Unfortunately we do not supply any spare parts on electric blankets.
    It is actually against EU regulations to repair a blanket or supply and parts on them due to health and safety reasons, the only solution we could offer is providing the blanket is within warranty and you are in possession of a valid receipt for the item we could offer a full exchange.

I apologise fro any inconvenience or dissatisfaction this matter may have caused you but trust that the above information has helped clarify the situation.

What a rip off. There must be somewhere to get one from;

They are offering you a full replacement if you still have the reciept and its still in waranty. So do you? Beats looking for a spare part.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately most people like myself do no keep reciepts for all electrical items. Look around your house and and think what percentage of your electricals do you have receipts for.
    The Key issue here is that the controller problem is fairly common and imetec are dodging the issue.

Just one question, what happens if the controller breaks down after the guarantee expires.

I have tried all the option and i just wind up with the automated number

3 Aston Way
    Middlewich
    CW10 0HS
    Tel: 01606837222
    this automated service does not address my issue and i dont get an option to talk to a customer service rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Unfortunately most people like myself do no keep reciepts for all electrical items. Look around your house and and think what percentage of your electricals do you have receipts for.
    The Key issue here is that the controller problem is fairly common and imetec are dodging the issue.

Just one question, what happens if the controller breaks down after the guarantee expires.

I have tried all the option and i just wind up with the automated number

3 Aston Way
    Middlewich
    CW10 0HS
    Tel: 01606837222
    this automated service does not address my issue and i dont get an option to talk to a customer service rep.

I must be a rare breed then I keep all my reciepts for everything electrical at least for the period of their warranty. In this day and age there are too many companies who dodge the bullet when you say you dont have the reciept. If the item is still under warranty and you have the reciept they are willing to give you a full replcement.

And you say its fairly common then the only thing to do is keep at them other than that what can you do. If the reason they cant replace this said part on its own is actually for safety reasons is actually true then you need to force the issue on a full replacement on the same grounds i.e faulty controller = unsafe. If it is a really common problem have you searched the net to find more folk who had the same problem to see if they got any joy? I know I sound negative but just trying to see if you have covered every ground ye know. Hopefully you get some joy from them.

That phone number does it give any options to talk to anyone? I called it there and there are no options at all as its after hours.

Lesson learned on the receipt keeping issue, i'll be keeping them from now on.:D

Time will tell if more people have experienced the same controller issue, if i've had a problem with 2 out of the two blankets purchased, and "mooky" seems to have had the same problem, i would say we'll have a few more additions to this post over time.

The health and safety issue should be highlighted and i'm sure that some infringes on my right as a consumer someway, i'll have to find more info on it. I definately does not spell it out when you are buy the blanket anyway.

I have only one option left to salvage the two Electric Blanket and that is to buy a 3rd identical blanket and switch the controller after a few month a then use the warranty for that one.
    Should nt have to resort to that, if there was a proper system in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ptguy

Yesterday I bought a dual heat setting Imetec underblanket, and after hours of having it turned on, it was still at room temperature. Took it back today and exchanged it for a variable heat setting, timer controlled blanket. Same problem - absolutely no heat! After reading this forum, I'm thinking it's best to replace it with a different brand! Good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Off topic but I can not understand for the life of me why anyone would use an electric blanket in the first place. All that tossing and turning would have to play havoc with the wiring,not to mention junior having a accident in the night. The thought of it sends shivers down my spine,ohh and I like a cold bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I love my electric blanket, had one for years and no faults with firing. I think they are much safer than they used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yamahdi345

Dear WTk 2007
    decided to trawl the internet to see how to fix my 2 Imetec electric blankets, when I noticed your posting.
    Very interesting I thought! It hadn't even occurred to me that the fault with the first "King sized dual control deluxe fitted blanket with extra foot warmth",- could have been with the controller.
    The fault occurred within the first year but, as I am a disorganised so and so- I didn't have the receipt. That was a few years ago and I put up with the fault as it was a blanket I had bought for my partner's house and it was his side that wasn't working. Heh heh heh!!!
    The next blanket was a present bought for me by a friend as she knows I am a cold tattie! It replaced my old fitted blanket which although still working was looking a bit grubby. Guess what? It was a Dreamland Imetec
    blanket- although a more standard, with ties- double bed-dual control one.
    Within the year, the controller on the left side- same side as the other one- has developed a fault. This time it flashes as if having timed itself for heating but will not allow itself to be reset. Obviously, I don't have the receipt as it was a gift. I'm sure that many more people will be having these problems.
    I noticed that someone was selling a controller on Ebay for these blankets so maybe they've decide to cut their losses and salvage something. (It's not you, is it!!!?)
    Hope you get the problem solved.
    All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 blueginbin

Bought two of these underblankets in Argos about 15 months ago one for me and one for my parents.
    The blanket itself I could notfault, the problem I had with the first one was that the controller malfunctioned on one side after about 6 months,

"The cut off mechanism that switches the blanket off after 75 minutes or 12 hours fails to reset when switched on or off therefore wont heat the blanket." Tried all the unplugging, etc but no go.

I am getting by with using the second controller on my side at present.
    Yesterday my mum told me to have a look at her blanket, same problem.
    My feeling that this is a very common problem that occurs with normal usage. I dont keep receipts for all electrical good below €100 so i dont have any guarentee. What i would like is to buy get replacement.
    controllers.
    The website address for Imetec www.imetec.co.uk is a blank page plus the phone number gives an automated service which doesent answer my questions
    I would not recommend Imetec Dreamland or their products.
    Anyone else experience the same problem

I have exactly the same problem, how on earth did you get them fixed?

I did nt get them fixed, had to shell out on a new on, the cold got the better of me :D they now have different controler which they assure me are better. I hope - Still very annoying. Imetec should have replaced the blankets. You just cant get to talk to anyone from Imetec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 canalchef

Yes me also. Bought a Dreamland electric overblanket from Argos last month and one of the two controllers has died. Can't find receipt. Can't get a person to talk with on the telephone and the imetec website is blank. Very expensive con.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

I'd offer to fix these (as i'm an electronics engineer) but then what happens if it blows up , burns down your house and generally ruins your day. A lot of things that i have seen like this are down to poor design and shoddy manufacturing practices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 canalchef

Further to my last, we got on to Argos and they obviously have had a good few of these blankets back because of the controllers. The lady explained that they have such a lot of health and safety devises inside them that it seems they can easily go wrong. Although I did not have the reciept they exchanged it and was told that as they do not issue a receipt for a replacement, if it went wrong again they would refund without question. In law it seems you don't actually need the receipt so long as you can show some proof of purchase. If all else fails - issue a summons for the cost and it is very unlikely it will be challenged because of the high number of known faulty controllers. hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 carpl

Hi my mother has Imetec Dreamland under blanket just over a year old interesting reading your problems. One controller failed swapped sides as suggested and now works ok being 89 years old she kept her receipt ! be interesting to see if they are as good as their word on the 3 year warranty I will let you know how we get on :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 md47

I've just received a replacement controller for my imetec underblanket which was no longer under guarantee but giving same problem as already mentioned - red light constantly flashing. I rang a number which was given as the last option when I rang the english service centre and spoke to a man who told me to send £18.50.
    The sterling draft cost me about €24, which I sent to :

Leda Service Centre
    P.O. Box 166
    Middlewich
    Cheshire
    CW10 0ZU.

It took about 2 weeks for the controller to arrive. No more bargaining over who gets the warm side of the bed!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mbertouche

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to add this phone number for Dreamland Electric Blankets. The Company is Imetec UK Ltd and the telephone number is 01606 837222.

I spoke to a lady in Customer Service today and she was excellent. She talked me through how to possibly rectify controller problems I am having and also gave me the number for their technical guy - George - which is 01606 837751.

Hope this is of help.

If anyone wants to know what they told me to do just let me know.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 md47

I'd be interested to know what advice you were given. I find both controllers are a bit erratic and don't always heat up without switching on and off a few times.
    Martina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 blueginbin

I would be really glad to know what they said to you, as only last night I was thinking of trying to buy another electric blanket as this one is so unreliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mbertouche

This is how I have re-set the controllers on my Slumberland fitted electric blankets that have been playing up:-
    • Turn off power at wall socket and disconnect plug from mains supply;

• Make sure blanket is turned off at controller and then un-plug cable from blanket and leave unplugged for 15 minutes or so;

• Re-connect cable plug to blanket;

• Turn controller to 9 (max setting)

• Plug cable back into mains and switch on at socket;

• Switch blanket on at slider controll (to 12 hrs or 75 minutes – it doesn’t matter which);

• Turn controller down from 9 to 1 and then back up to 9;

• Controller should have re-set and blanket should start to warm up. Once this is confirmed you can set to what temperature you want;

• When you go to bed and want to turn the blanket off, turn it down to number 1 first then turn off at controller;

• Finally, turn off at wall socket (if you are really safety conscious).

This has worked for me on an older double bed 2 x controller and a newer single bed controller.

Best of luck, I hope it works for you.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oldish man

I suffered a controller failure on a single blanket about a year ago. I returned it to Argos with days left on my guarentee, they didn't have one in stock so they refunded me the cost. I had kept the receipt. They then arranged to get a replacement from an ajacent store the next day. I bought it and was given a "new" 3 year guarentee.

Today my daughter has had a fault on her two year old King size bed controller, flashing lights no heat. She has swopped the controllers and her side of the bed is now warm !!

I shall try the fix suggested.

If it works great, otherwise it will go back to Argos ---KEEP RECEIPTS.

Clearly these controllers are not of adequate quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oldish man

Thanks for the advice Mbertouche

Sadly the reset did not work on my daughter's controller.

She will now ring the number(s) you gave and retry the reset procedure.

She didn't allow any dwell time between steps, she will next try otherwise its back to the guarentee - KEEP RECEIPTS .

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ronmac58

I bought 2 of these blankets in Belgium ( double bed, dual controls) and within a year both of them had developed the same defect mentioned by others: one of the IMETEC controllors simply refused to work. I have failed to find anyone who can help find replacements. The only solution seems to be to transfer the controller that is working to the other blanket ..and then hope that they last a while before it needs replacing. In the meantime, you have to buy another blanket... but not dreamland!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

On the issue of receipts which had cropped up alot here...if you lose your receipt from the shop remember that a credit card or laser card statement or a cheque stub showing you bought the item in the store also constitutes proof of purchase.You can often chase these up with your bank or cc company even if they're from months in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stevezzqq

I'm new, this is my first post, so please forgive anything you dislike!

I had the same situation as the rest of you, but I had a different outcome...

I checked the Italian website, got the UK number, phoned it, got it answered, spoke to a guy called George who explained the reason for the problem. He asked me to give him a number from the unit, he then agreed to replace the unit. I have no receipt and do not remember when it was bought. It was at least two years old, if not longer.

This is his number: 01606 837751.

Good luck.

PS. maybe I wass just lucky.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Danspeed

I have bought several of these electric blankets over the last 3 years. (Dreamland, Silentnight, Sleepwell). Controllers - Model numbers C98A1 and 927A1 fail regularly, blankets themselves are fine but of no use whatever when the controllers fail. Reset tactic described elswhere on this board works occasionally but not always, and won't fix the problems permanently. I would suggest that you buy from another manufacturer. Its about time that Dreamland sorted this out and offered a free replacement service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 msurcombe

OK - here's the official story on what to do if your Imetec controller is just flashing and not heating.

Firstly, don't get angry! The problem is caused by deterioration of the circuity through use of the blanket on a high setting when in bed.

Secondly, ring Imetec. They are EXCELLENT.
    Initially call 01606 837751 where you'll probably get George. He knows his stuff, and will probably offer a replacement controller at £18. HOWEVER, he'll probably also offer a replacement blanket (£32 for the kingsize in my case, which is a very good price indeed).
    You then need to speak to the SUPERB Lesley in Customer Services on 01606 837222 to process the order. Don't let blood pressure rise at the recorded messages, just key 2879 when the first announcement starts. Lesley is truly lovely, will give you a run-down on the local weather conditions, and probably give you spiritual and medical advice if you ask too.

And that's it. Wasn't so hard after all.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement