Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to know for sure if house is haunted

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I have to agree, please get back to the original topic and do not let this, or other, threads turn into the same old "proof" argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

dlofnep wrote: »
    That's fine, I'll just take it that you do not have a shred of evidence. No probs.

Good for you - though it makes absolutely no difference to me what you think.

Now, can we get back on topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭KieranKennedy

iamhunted wrote: »
    what a cop out.

i feel I have to explain why I think so.

its an amazing cop out to say that things dont exist mainly because you say so. Thats the heel of the argument here. You (as in cynics in general, not any particular 'you') claim the paranormal is rubbish - a claim that is made out to be a certainty. When asked how this is known for certain we get answers like "Burden of proof would be on you guys, since you are making the extraordinary claims. Also it is a logical impossibility to prove a negative." - ie answers that just tell me that those who claim they know the paranormal doesnt exist in fact have no proof or research to back that up.

Words are cheap and very suited to armchair commentators when it comes to the paranormal.

Many things wrong with your post

I am a sceptic not a cynic, don't misrepresent my position. As a sceptic I don't deny that there is a possibility that the paranormal exists, but I am as yet entirely unconvinced as I have not encountered any evidence which I would consider credible.

At no point did I make any statement which could be interpreted as meaning ghosts don't exist because I say they don't. That is a complete straw man argument, and it is pathetic.

Your entire post is based on a false premise, that I claim to know that the paranormal doesn't exist. The claim I am making is that I don't believe that there is convincing evidence of the paranormal, but I am open to the possibility. I am not postulating the existence of the paranormal, therefore the burden of proof is not on me, it is on those who make the claim. The whole idea of proving a negative is always a stumbling point for believers in the paranormal, bigfoot, aliens etc. It is not possible within the laws of formal logic to prove a negative. That isn't some evasive hand waving answer, it is a statement of fact. It is simply not logically possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Did we reach a verdict on weither this house is haunted or not :D

I wanna know when to book me tickets for the movie premier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

Many things wrong with your post

I am a sceptic not a cynic, don't misrepresent my position. As a sceptic I don't deny that there is a possibility that the paranormal exists, but I am as yet entirely unconvinced as I have not encountered any evidence which I would consider credible.

At no point did I make any statement which could be interpreted as meaning ghosts don't exist because I say they don't. That is a complete straw man argument, and it is pathetic.

Your entire post is based on a false premise, that I claim to know that the paranormal doesn't exist. The claim I am making is that I don't believe that there is convincing evidence of the paranormal, but I am open to the possibility. I am not postulating the existence of the paranormal, therefore the burden of proof is not on me, it is on those who make the claim. The whole idea of proving a negative is always a stumbling point for believers in the paranormal, bigfoot, aliens etc. It is not possible within the laws of formal logic to prove a negative. That isn't some evasive hand waving answer, it is a statement of fact. It is simply not logically possible.

In that case then I'd stop sitting on the fence if i were you, call a spade a spade and admit that like the rest of us you dont really know if ghosts exist or not instead of this 'ghosts dont exist but im a skeptic so im open to the fact they might - but they dont' lark'. Too many use the 'you cant prove a negative' argument as a reason to back up the fact they dont think ghosts exist - hence the 'cop out' as basically all such people are doing is avoiding making their stance clear.

If you are a true skeptic who is open to what may/maynot exist then fair enough but "Burden of proof would be on you guys, since you are making the extraordinary claims" doesnt sound like you are open to much.

Back to the OP - did secretary ever try setting up recorders to see if anything could be captured on audio or video?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Pamela111

secretary wrote: »
    Hi guys,

very reluctantly posting here about a house a friend of mine who has recently moved into, it's a Georgian house, absolutely beautiful, though a bit dilapidated, but she believes it may be haunted, noises in rooms when no one else is there and a few cold spots.

To me it's just a creaky old house whose owner has an overactive imagination. Anyway, I told her to document all events and in that way, people might actually be able to offer a scientific explanation for the happenings.

She's actually going to keep a blog instead of any unexplained events, but I'd be interested if anyone had any advice on how to proceed in this situation. Should she call in an investigation team, or wait until something else has happened that maybe is more difficult to explain? Or should she just ignore things and get on with her life instead of freaking herself out?

Thanks

Ger

Hi Ger,

You may see my other thread on excorisms. IMO, speaking as a Catholic, the importance of a sincere confession followed by Mass and daily prayer will remove all evil influences on her mind.

Here is an interesting article from Father Amorath:
    http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features/framorth_excerpt1_aug04.asp

God Bless All :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭KieranKennedy

iamhunted wrote: »
    In that case then I'd stop sitting on the fence if i were you, call a spade a spade and admit that like the rest of us you dont really know if ghosts exist or not instead of this 'ghosts dont exist but im a skeptic so im open to the fact they might - but they dont' lark'. Too many use the 'you cant prove a negative' argument as a reason to back up the fact they dont think ghosts exist - hence the 'cop out' as basically all such people are doing is avoiding making their stance clear.

If you are a true skeptic who is open to what may/maynot exist then fair enough but "Burden of proof would be on you guys, since you are making the extraordinary claims" doesnt sound like you are open to much.

Back to the OP - did secretary ever try setting up recorders to see if anything could be captured on audio or video?

I am quickly getting the feeling that even if I were 2 inches away from your face screaming an explanation of my position on the paranormal you would still come up with some ridiculous straw man argument so I won't bother attempting to explain it again. What I will say is that the hallmark if an idiot is that they attempt to argue against somebody without knowing exactly what they are arguing against. Say what you will but you are guilty of this.

Advertisement