Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to know for sure if house is haunted

Options
  • 22-10-2008 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys,

very reluctantly posting here about a house a friend of mine who has recently moved into, it's a Georgian house, absolutely beautiful, though a bit dilapidated, but she believes it may be haunted, noises in rooms when no one else is there and a few cold spots.

To me it's just a creaky old house whose owner has an overactive imagination. Anyway, I told her to document all events and in that way, people might actually be able to offer a scientific explanation for the happenings.

She's actually going to keep a blog instead of any unexplained events, but I'd be interested if anyone had any advice on how to proceed in this situation. Should she call in an investigation team, or wait until something else has happened that maybe is more difficult to explain? Or should she just ignore things and get on with her life instead of freaking herself out?

Thanks

Ger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

ger

for the moment i wouldnt get a team in just yet ,,,the dairy is a good idea ,,

its a new house to her so everything for awhile will be a little freaky,,,but belive me she will get used to it,when you are in a diffrent home to the one you are used to you will hear every noise,,
    all she can do is the dairy for now,,no point in getting to the extreme an calling in teams or trying to record things etc,,,keep us posted in her findings

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

She should do exactly what she is doing. Calling in a team at this stage wouldnt achieve anything - and I'm speaking as a member of a team.

I'll be following her blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

To me it's just a creaky old house whose owner has an overactive imagination

thats probably correct.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It takes a while to settle into somewhere new and feel like its 'home'. There may be an aspect of that making your friend feel edgy and not part of the place. And yes, georgian houses would be creaky.:)

I actually think she should just get on with life. Id be afraid if shes waiting with pen poised, she may read paranormal events into normal stuff like settling roof tiles. By all means keep a record, but at this stage with a very open mind. It could be mice, draughts or plumbing. And Im saying that as someone who believes ALL houses carry echoes and a sense of whats gone on in them that can be felt.:) But we live in this world and theres no point in getting frightened or carried away by small events. Even if it is something mysterious, theres no need to get frightened by it. If you want to, you can look on a ghost in your house as a particularly tidy and cheap houseguest. And a lot less hassle than bad plumbing.:D

secretary, you friend deleted their blog ..... any update on this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The-Star

If your friend thinks there is something there suggest a house clearance. When I do work like this I am there to clear and not bring the energies in stronger so I don't encourage any communication when working. There may be nothing there but sometimes old buildings hold an old energy that playes over and over again like an old film. I am a firm believer that new homes all need clearance on moving in to clear out energy left behind from people there before us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭KieranKennedy

First you have to know for sure that ghosts actually exist. Get back to us when you crack that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The-Star

Hi Kieran, I did not mention 'ghosts' but I do know that spirits exist. It is part of being clairvoyant and where the information comes from.:)

First you have to know for sure that ghosts actually exist. Get back to us when you crack that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's not haunted. Ghosts do not exist. They have nothing to worry about.

The-Star wrote: »
    Hi Kieran, I did not mention 'ghosts' but I do know that spirits exist. It is part of being clairvoyant and where the information comes from.:)

What's the difference between a ghost and a spirit?

Secondly - What exactly is it that makes you a clairvoyant?

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    It's not haunted. Ghosts do not exist. They have nothing to worry about.

I'd love to see your research to back this claim up. You must have some definitive proof as you seem quite sure of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭KieranKennedy

iamhunted wrote: »
    I'd love to see your research to back this claim up. You must have some definitive proof as you seem quite sure of yourself.

Burden of proof would be on you guys, since you are making the extraordinary claims. Also it is a logical impossibility to prove a negative.

You cant really say ghosts dont exist. You can say something like "based on what we know at present there is no reason to believe that ghosts exist".

Can anyone say its not possible for ghosts to exist?

Burden of proof would be on you guys, since you are making the extraordinary claims. Also it is a logical impossibility to prove a negative.

what a cop out.

i feel I have to explain why I think so.

its an amazing cop out to say that things dont exist mainly because you say so. Thats the heel of the argument here. You (as in cynics in general, not any particular 'you') claim the paranormal is rubbish - a claim that is made out to be a certainty. When asked how this is known for certain we get answers like "Burden of proof would be on you guys, since you are making the extraordinary claims. Also it is a logical impossibility to prove a negative." - ie answers that just tell me that those who claim they know the paranormal doesnt exist in fact have no proof or research to back that up.

Words are cheap and very suited to armchair commentators when it comes to the paranormal.

6th wrote: »
    You cant really say ghosts dont exist. You can say something like "based on what we know at present there is no reason to believe that ghosts exist".

Can anyone say its not possible for ghosts to exist?

its a no-win discussion mark. the onus for some reason is on you to prove ghosts exist. one side does all the running the other side does all the complaining - not a game I fancy playing myself.

So based on the same premise, I must also prove that dragons and the easter bunny exist, right? I don't need to prove their non-existence, because there is no credible evidence to prove that they exist.

The onus is on you to prove that they exist, not on I. That's generally how it works.

its a no-win discussion mark. the onus for some reason is on you to prove ghosts exist. one side does all the running the other side does all the complaining - not a game I fancy playing myself.

You supply credible evidence, and I'll give the subject some thought. Until you do, it's up to you as you have said to prove it. There is no such thing as haunted houses, only hyper-active imaginations. The thought that we still believe in ghosts in these days and ages is silly.

dlofnep, is it possible for something such as ghosts (as some understand them) to exist despite there currently being no proof?

Anything is possible. It doesn't mean that it's reasonable however. There is no evidence to suggest that there is an afterlife or that ghosts exist. Don't get me wrong, where something seemed reasonable without any concrete evidence - i'm always willing to be open to the idea.

For example - I believe that life exists outside of Earth, in both primitive and intelligent forms. Now, there is no concrete evidence to confirm this - but it seems to me as a reasonable suggestion, given the vast size of the universe, with so many habitable planets.

Ghosts however are what I'd consider a product of an over-active imagination. There is nothing logically to suggest that ghosts are real, and no evidence to back up that they are real.

a tired and old argument. You can't dismiss the prospect of the discovery of something just because you deem it unlikely - unless of course you have research to back it up.

change the record.

• Advertisement

You can't dismiss the prospect of the discovery of something just because you deem it unlikely - unless of course you have research to back it up.

I have researched the issue. I can dismiss it all I like, just like I dismiss the existence of the easter-bunny and santa claus.
    change the record.

Is that how you usually debate? Can't find evidence to give substance to your claims, so instead - just try to take focus elsewhere?

what?

You think the paranormal doesnt exist. Fair enough. You believe you are correct on that. Fair enough. You think anyone with a differing view is a fool. Fair enough.

I still cant see where any of that says you know what you're talking about though. All you;re telling me is you say the paranormal is rubbish. As I say, fair enough, but why should i take your word against my own experiences?

Please - just understand this bit - no-one is going to bother bringing you proof and leaving it at your feet for you to mull over. There enough info out there - you can check out EVPs for a start at http://www.leinsterparnormal.com. As i already asked one of your comrades - explain the one with the laugh to me.

Basically, unless you go looking you wont find anything - I have this circular discussion every time with you (and its boring at this stage).

Ye cant seem to get it in yer head that no-one has to prove anything to you ... go find the proof for yourself. If you arent willing to do that then dont be bothering me with your stories of easter bunnies as if you havent been looking, then you cant say anything.

plus - why are you hijacking this persons thread? wouldnt it be better if you went to the 'ghost town' (pardon the pun) that is the skeptics forum and make a thread about your qualms there?

You think anyone with a differing view is a fool. Fair enough.

I never said anyone was a fool. Don't put words in my mouth.
    I still cant see where any of that says you know what you;re talking about though.

Because I don't believe in ghosts?
    Basically, unless you go looking you wont find anything - I have this circular discussion every time with you (and its boring at this stage).

What circular discussion? Outside of this thread, I don't think I've ever spoke to you before about the topic. Not sure what you're even referring to.
    Ye cant seem to get it in yer head that no-one has to prove anything to you

Of course they do. If someone wants to have a debate about a topic, in which they are claiming elements of paranormality - then logically, they would need proof or even a minute piece of evidence to validate their claims.
    ... go find the proof for yourself.

Find proof of what? That ghosts don't exist. That's easy. There's not solid evidence in the history of mankind for their existence. That's my proof.
    If you arent willing to do that then dont be bothering me with your stories of easter bunnies as if you havent been looking, then you cant say anything.

You obviously missed the symbolism.

I'll tell you what - You provide me with 3 cases of ghosts with evidence, just 3.. to what you feel are the strongest cases for ghosts in existence.. I will have a look at them, and give you an honest, unbiased evaluation. How about that?

plus - why are you hijacking this persons thread? wouldnt it be better if you went to the 'ghost town' (pardon the pun) that is the skeptics forum and make a thread about your qualms there?

I didn't hijack the thread. I advised them that the house wasn't haunted. Or are only fairy-tale opinions allowed in this thread? Anyone with a hint of reasoning isn't allowed to give their opinion?

So ive never bumped into you on the skeptics forum? If not my mistake.
    Anyone with a hint of reasoning isn't allowed to give their opinion?

ive been trying to work out your reasoning but you wont give me any outside that ghosts dont exist as the easter bunny doesnt. That seems to be it - you say ghosts cant exist therefore they dont. I say you;re some man if you have definitive proof that ghosts cant exist. You havent presented this proof though as blah blah blah cant prove negatives etc etc. handy excuse that alright.

Way to go there person with the hint of reasoning (like the rest of us dont?)

Im away to watch some paint dry - much more interesting and informative than this conversation

I see you avoided in giving me 3 credible examples of evidence. Could it be that perhaps, there isn't any? And instead of tackling the debate head on, you'd rather beat around the debate itself.

i see you ignored my request that you go away and find your own ... Im not here to educate you on the paranormal - i have neither the time nor the inclination. Go look for yourself. then again, sure dont you have the definitive proof that ghosts cant exist?

Jeezze - really. isnt there a kid somewhere you can argue with?

That's fine, I'll just take it that you do not have a shred of evidence. No probs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

theres a seroius lack of respect here for peoples views.i have to say im getting a right ole pain in my bum from how people slate each other when someone is looking for help.
    why folk feel they have to ram each others views down one anothers throats is beyond me. everyone is entitled to their own opinion,regardless of how it seems to another,it may be wrong or right but the lack of respect when its voiced is just not fair or right. if you dont believe in something then try offer a reply that doesnt make the questioner feel like a twat or else keep out of it.

Advertisement