Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Like Apes

Options
  • 21-10-2008 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

.. Any other FLA fans? .. just recently been listening to their album and i went to see a gig at the weekend.. Pretty awesome band. Definatlely worth checking out!!:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's good, but it's definitely not the golden couric of a debut album that everyone is mouthing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got the album based on the recommendations. I really like the first half, but think it dips a bit in the second half. I'd say they're a fun band to see in concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭GSpoon

maybe its because i have seen them live that i like them so much. Without a doubt they were the most interactive bands i have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

GSpoon wrote: »
    maybe its because i have seen them live that i like them so much. Without a doubt they were the most interactive bands i have ever seen.

Agree. They are brilliant live and their album is pretty good nor overpriced which I thought was weird as I saw it in a record store for 11.99 the other day. Not sure if you can class Megameanie as a song though. I saw them at Castle Palozza and they were fab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

Love the new album. There's some really good new songs on it. Tie me up with jackets is a classic.

• Advertisement

Doozie wrote: »
    Agree. They are brilliant live and their album is pretty good nor overpriced which I thought was weird as I saw it in a record store for 11.99 the other day. Not sure if you can class Megameanie as a song though. I saw them at Castle Palozza and they were fab. If any of my friends had any kind of palette for good music I would drag them along to the gig.
    ... i have aleady bought tickets to Dec 6th gig, gona drag along three of my friends!! Not sure if it is their type of music but after seeing them live im sure they will be easily influenced:D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Chaps, its an MCD gig - I'd edit posts and remove any mention of the gig if you want this thread to stick around...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I LOVE FLApes, and have seen them loads, but honestly. I was real disappointed by the album cos it's so polished and sounds too tame. The gigs are magic, full of vibrancy but while the album has all the songs, I would have preferred if they put up the myspace versions instead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

FLA - meh

I LOVE FLApes, and have seen them loads, but honestly. I was real disappointed by the album cos it's so polished and sounds too tame. The gigs are magic, full of vibrancy but while the album has all the songs, I would have preferred if they put up the myspace versions instead

hmmm you might have a point there. But the live gigs are what they are all about!! Saw Alice Glass from Crystal Castles a few weeks ago, thought i had seen madness on stage until i saw mk @ FLA. Sad to think they are only supporting the ting tings when FLA are so much more talented than them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

yeah i love them! haven't seen them live yet, need to rectify that cos by all accounts their live shows are amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Jake Summers = all the reason I need to go see them. Loving this album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Meh I could take it or leave it. Angel Pier well better Irish abnd they are the ones we should be making a fuss about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

they are ok. There oone of those bands that you neither hate nor love. Meh as magicmarker so aptly put it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've only heard Jake Somers and that is fantastic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The first time I heard them I thought that it was refreshing to hear something different from a semi-popular band, but after hearing Jake Summers a few times and listening to the other tracks on their myspace, I realised that they're not really all that unique or interesting. I do like the vocals though.

So, I'm with the others on here who say they're "meh". They're different enough for me to respect them, but aren't interesting enough for me to get excited.

IMO Lightsaber Cocksucking Blues is their best song (on their myspace), however, Jake Summers is quite boring.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I know one of the guys in the band so technically I'm not supposed to say stuff like this, but I think they're pretty rubbish. Fair play for being a little bit different from other Irish acts but I reckon this album will be their one moment in the sun.

I just can't see them coming up with any better ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chris d

the independant gave the album 1 star when it came out. retards.

listened to it for the first time walking home from work, a bit pjssed up, last friday, sounded amazing.

Still gets the thumbs up now ive sobered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

exactly how are they retards for having a negative opinion on something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

they've just landed a support slot with the prodigy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

^ I know that's mad, I used to like them but I think they're lyrics are a bit ****, and they get a bit boring after a while. they're good by irish standards though! :pac:

they've just landed a support slot with the prodigy.

WHA???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

as well as signing to sony japan

am i the only one who has completely missed the ascent of Fight Like Apes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Missed the ascent in terms of you didnt notice their rising popularity over the last 18 months or so?

I knew they were popular, i just thought it was popular along the lines of mediocre to above average irish popularity. Then i hear of support slots with the Prodigy, and record deals with major labels. Just a bit shocked is all!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

^ I know that's mad, I used to like them but I think they're lyrics are a bit ****, and they get a bit boring after a while. they're good by irish standards though! :pac:

Lyrics are a bit **** but sure hey they can't all be as good as MGMT right?

Good by Irish standards? Who are you measuring them against for the laugh?!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Must have been hiding out like Bon Iver was on ya eh?

I love them, great fun band with a little bit of substance, energy wise they somehow remind me of Hadouken! lyricaly no where near them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    IMO Lightsaber Cocksucking Blues is their best song (on their myspace), however, Jake Summers is quite boring.

That would probably be because 'lightsabre cocksucking blues' is a cover. For the infinitely superior original, check out "Mclusky Do Dallas". Under-rated and sorely missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

lyrics? maykay's lyrics are savage!

"hey you, get some grace, your like kentucky fried chicken but without the taste"

classic! :pac:

Advertisement