Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Like Apes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

lordgoat wrote: »
    Must have been hiding out like Bon Iver was on ya eh?

I love them, great fun band with a little bit of substance, energy wise they somehow remind me of Hadouken! lyricaly no where near them though.

I get the feeling that music these days seems to be leaving me behind. Damn college, work and sleep. Im gonna have to turn over a new leaf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DavidLive

I don't really see the Hadouken! similarities, to be honest, but they are a great band.

I finally got my own copy of the album, as opposed to the copy in the radio station, so I'm chuffed!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Gotcha. :)
    I knew they were popular, i just thought it was popular along the lines of mediocre to above average irish popularity. Then i hear of support slots with the Prodigy, and record deals with major labels. Just a bit shocked is all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Ryaller wrote: »
    That would probably be because 'lightsabre cocksucking blues' is a cover. For the infinitely superior original, check out "Mclusky Do Dallas". Under-rated and sorely missed.
    Holy shít, these guys are class! And it appears Fight Like Apes are worse than I thought. Thank you!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

DavidLive wrote: »
    I don't really see the Hadouken! similarities, to be honest, but they are a great band.

I finally got my own copy of the album, as opposed to the copy in the radio station, so I'm chuffed!

:)

I wasn't comparing them musically, more so they both give off great energy and really get the crowd going an really involved in the gig. Sadly lacking in a lot of bands at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DavidLive

lordgoat wrote: »
    I wasn't comparing them musically, more so they both give off great energy and really get the crowd going an really involved in the gig. Sadly lacking in a lot of bands at the moment.
    I understand what you mean.

Yes, you're right. So many bands just don't give it back and get the crowd going.
    Both these bands do. Well Hadouken! anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭violetdream

they are doing well so fair play...but they are riding the wave of kitch 80's nme revivalism....but unfortunately their tunes are'nt as good as the irish press say they are...fairly mediocre......funny video's though!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

I love them, I've loved them for years but I can't remember how I first got into them. I preferred the older versions of some of the songs, lend me your face in particular but the new versions are growing on me. I love tie me up with jackets and I'm beginning to think you prefer beverley hills 90210 to me (weirdest name ever btw).

I recognise that they're lyrics make very little sense though so I can see why people don't like them, just makes me like them even more though :)

I've seen them a few times live (not MCD gigs), always put on a good show, the kinda gig where you need to jump around a bit. I wish knucklehead had made it onto the album

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Good ole' Cyprus Avenue. Gig Event List = more bands I love!

I'm really pissed I missed them. Bloody school.

I love this verse:
    (ah ah ah ah)

Hey you, whats-your-face
    I've got a pocket full of fists, you've got a stupid face
    Hey you, know your place!
    You're like Kentucky fried chicken but without the taste
    Hey you, get some grace!
    You know you're driving miss daisy all over the place
    Hey you, you're taking up space!
    And you're a fucking disappointment to the human race (oh!)

As everyone knows, singing louder = singing better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

FLA - meh

Same. I don't really mind them being around but I certainly wouldn't miss them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Is this really the sort of shite Ireland is producing nowadays?

I don't think I've ever heard such useless and nonsensical lyrics. The album is absolutely awful and fair play to whatever reviewer it was that gave it a one star rating, though even that was generous.

That bollox about nursery rhyme characters getting fired is absolutely ridiculous, though probably will have cult status on student nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭mada999

Xavi6 wrote: »

I don't think I've ever heard such useless and nonsensical lyrics. The album is absolutely awful and fair play to whatever reviewer it was that gave it a one star rating, though even that was generous.

That bollox about nursery rhyme characters getting fired is absolutely ridiculous, though probably will have cult status on student nights.

too true...I'm sick of all these gimmick bands spouting crap!! gimme the rope

Gloom wrote: »

(ah ah ah ah)

Hey you, whats-your-face
    I've got a pocket full of fists, you've got a stupid face
    Hey you, know your place!
    You're like Kentucky fried chicken but without the taste
    Hey you, get some grace!
    You know you're driving miss daisy all over the place
    Hey you, you're taking up space!
    And you're a fucking disappointment to the human race (oh!)

Are these actually their lyrics? Are they in transition year in school ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭GSpoon

oooohhh i have a solution if you dont like the music... dont listen to it!!!!:rolleyes: simple as.

GSpoon wrote: »
    oooohhh i have a solution if you dont like the music... dont listen to it!!!!:rolleyes: simple as.

I don't listen to it...but you have to laugh at the crap lyrics.... they are only a fad and they'll be gone soon anyways..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

When a thread is started in this forum about a band and gets rave reviews then people are going to listen to it to see what the hype is about.

If you want a love then go join their official fan club.

Thats a rather stupid statement in my opinion. He doesnt know if he will lie the music unless he listens, and now that he has listened, and realised, that they are in fact, quite crap, and that he wont be listening to them again. And now he is posting in a thread that you made for discussion regarding Fight Like Apes, discussing the ways in which he dislikes them as opposed to the general consensus of liking a bad within a band thread. Which, i might add, there are no rules against, as he is not trolling.

/rant. Sorry im a little cranky, but i reckon i made some valid points :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

In fairness it's fairly hard not to listen to Fight Like Apes. And yeah, they're fúcking shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Saw them last new year in the Village. Thought it was great fun so bought the CD and wasn't disappointed. Not every song is great but most of it is pretty damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

Saw them in bud rising, they're brilliant live !!! Love the new album. Missed out on the dublin gig... it's sold out. :mad: Might check into the roisin Dubh gig. New years in Galway mmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

And definitely don't moan about it!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

i loved them at the start, but since their album sounded so overly processed and their recent gigs have been pretty dull I'm drifting away form them...altho they are playing Galway on NYs eve and no doubt I'll head along..they better be good!!

They are playing in UCC on dec 1st. I think im gonna go see 'em just to see what all the hype is about. I better not be wasting my tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

I think the point that the album dips in the second isn't entirely true, imo. Firstly, Do You Karate? is the seventh track of 12, and that's a pretty great song. I also think that Lumpy Dough is one of the tracks of the album. I'll agree Recyclable Ass only decent and Snore Bore Whore doesn't have the FLA energy, thus rendering it pointless. But Megameanie is hardly a song. It's an easy criticism to level at an album.

Overall though, I think the one or two very mediocre tracks are over-shadowed by the absolute class of Battlestations, Lumpy Dough and Jake Summers, as well as a few more.

Btw, I can't bloody stand mclusky. God knows I've tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I really like FLA. Saw em in January (not MCD) and they were class, loved the myspace tracks and way prefer em to the album versions (for god's sake MayKay, I've heard you talk and you sound like a north soide fish wife, wtf is up with the american accent???). That said I still love the album. The lyrics are nonsense, but ****it, so are Floyd, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, and at least these lyrics are sometimes FUNNAY. They can't be bet for energy and enthusiasm, and it's refreshing to see a band not taking the whole thing as seriously as waaaaay less talented people-Johnny Borrel springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Xavi6 wrote: »

Have to agree with this tbh. Got the album yesterday and gave it a listen, the first two songs are ok but after that they lost me. Outrageously overhyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Have to agree with this tbh. Got the album yesterday and gave it a listen, the first two songs are ok but after that they lost me. Outrageously overhyped.

I dont get it? Whats with the overhyped? Because there is a thread on boards? I have seen no posters, one interview with MayKay which was tiny, but no real advertising campaign at all unless you consider playing them on phantom and doing a few gigs means overhyped.

They are playing in UCC on dec 1st. I think im gonna go see 'em just to see what all the hype is about. I better not be wasting my tenner

its been postponed to rag week.

@doozie. I think the hype being referred to is the word of mouth, which i dont know about you, but i have gotten a lot of. And that during the space of like a week, they were signed and announced a support slot with the prodigy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

mada999 wrote: »
    Are these actually their lyrics? Are they in transition year in school ??

I think you are taking the lyrics a bit too seriously.

Any band that cuts dialog from Plan 9 From Outer Space into their songs isn't expecting people to take their lyrics as a Bob Dylan style social commentary or work of art ...

I've been noticing how obsessed people seem to be with lyrics these days.

There is certainly a good reason to focus on the lyrics with bands that do expect you to take their lyrics seriously but who actually have stupid lyrics (stand up Kings of Leon) I can understand people going "meh" ...

But the point seems to have been lost along the way that it is perfectly possible to have a great song with lyrics that appear silly or juvenile, if that is supposed to be the point. Having listened to Fight Like Apes' album a bit it seems to me that they are playing on the child like rhyming of their lyrics, and having a lot of fun at the same time.

They lyrics (hip hop, belly flop!) are silly but they are supposed to be silly. They are supposed to be bubble gum. That is the point.

This isn't a reflection on whether FLA are any good, you can still do the above badly and a lot of bands have done it better than FLA. I'm still making my mind up about FLA

It is more an annoyance at music intellectuals rolling their eyes at bands for not having "proper" lyrics. It is perfectly fine not to have proper lyrics if you aren't trying to have "proper" lyrics. This criticism seems to be all the rage these days, sort of like dismissing a film for being too Hollywood, as if that automatically means a movie is bad.

I often wonder what would happens if the Ramones came on the scene in 2008 ...
    Well the kids are all hopped up and ready to go
    They're ready to go now
    They've got their surfboards
    And they're going to the discotheque a go go
    But she just couldn't stay
    She had to break away
    Well New York City really has it all
    Oh yeah, oh yeah
    Sheena is a punk rocker
    Sheena is a punk rocker
    Sheena is a punk rocker now
    She's a punk punk, a punk rocker
    Punk punk, a punk rocker
    Punk punk, a punk rocker

meh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

And how are you supposed to find out if you like it or not if you don't listen to it.....DUUUUUHHHH

Advertisement