Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London marathon training log/blog

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Since I last posted I trained Friday and Saturday, nothing too hectic, light fartlek and an 8 mile slow run. Leg was still very sore but calf is nearly 100%. What worried me with these runs was I had to stop every 10 minutes or so to stretch which is obviously a problem.

I took Sunday and Monday off in an attempt to reduce any inflammation. I replaced my runs with stretching and massage.

Today I ran 6-7 handy miles with Stupid_Private today. Leg still a little sore but thankfully the pain is no where near as bad as last week. I also didn't need to stretch which was a massive positive. Plan on doing a very light fartlek tomorrow taking Thursday off and then doing a couple of miles Friday. I'm icing my leg continuously throughout the day and still taking the anti inflammatories.

I got a compression strap from Shels and a foam roller from Woddle and these seem to be helping also. I'm hoping I see the same improvement in the next few days as the last 4 days. Say a prayer to the running gods for TheRoadRunners leg :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Real boards.ie effort there to get you to the startline in one piece. One forumite acting as a training partner, and two others helping you out with equipment!

Great to see.

Peckham wrote: »
    Real boards.ie effort there to get you to the startline in one piece. One forumite acting as a training partner, and two others helping you out with equipment!

Great to see.

Yes very true and it's much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

The very best of luck on the 26th. The training is done. Fingers and the toes on my working foot are crossed for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fingers and toes crossed for you. I'm suffering with similar issues at the moment, and am going back for another physical therapy session, but was thinking of investing in a foam roller on the advice of a number of forumites (sounds almost religious). Do you think you're getting any benefit?

• Advertisement

Fingers and toes crossed for you. I'm suffering with similar issues at the moment, and am going back for another physical therapy session, but was thinking of investing in a foam roller on the advice of a number of forumites (sounds almost religious). Do you think you're getting any benefit?

Hey KC

Soory to hear about your woes. Yes the foam roller is brilliant. It allows you to really locate the problem spot. I can't say it has solved the problem as I'm still fecked but it is definitely not doing any harm.

Woddle gave me a list of exercises from the Irish runner. I could scan them and mail them to you if you like !

Cheers

5 very sore miles at this rate I'm not looking forward to Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

fingers crossed touch wood and anything else. Hope it clears up at least a little for sunday. When do you fly out?

Cheers. Flying Friday at 5pm. Back to the ice packs in the meantime !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Best of luck RoadRunner. Really look forward to hearing your race report, as hopefully it'll be me this time next year.

Won't be watching the race on Sunday morning, which is a shame as BBC do great coverage of the race.

• Advertisement

Woddle gave me a list of exercises from the Irish runner. I could scan them and mail them to you if you like !
    Cheers
    I picked one up from Irishfit this afternoon, and gave it a go (these exercises). Definitely feel it working on the sore spots. If you have any additional exercises, please pass them on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

good luck rr. (dont forget the painkillers!)

I picked one up from Irishfit this afternoon, and gave it a go (these exercises). Definitely feel it working on the sore spots. If you have any additional exercises, please pass them on!

good stuff, those set of 8 exercises basically cover what I have. Hope you feel an improvement soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Best of luck on Sunday RoadRunner. Yours has been an inspirational log, your times and schedule consistent and impressive, its been a fascinating read throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Yep, best of luck. I hope it all goes well. I was thinking a good pacing plan might be to run slightly behind Nell McAndrews, always keeping her in your sights and then maybe towards the end let it rip and by let it rip I don't mean that world record you were boasting about on the fart thread.
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Roadrunner may the running Gods be with you on Sunday.
    Hopefully conditions will be ok as Samuel Wanjiru is attempting to break the world record. Very exciting !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Best of luck Roadie. Bring her home.

Best of luck TheRoadRunner. I hope to gel to London some time too, but will probably have to wait until I hit the next age category.:rolleyes: I hope everything holds together, and you hit your target bang-on. Enjoy every moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Best of luck and most of all try enjoy it, hope the pain holds off enough for you to give it a proper go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

best of luck in london

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Very best of luck RR, hope you get a great day for it and everything goes to plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Go for it! Best of luck RR, have a great race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

same here roadrunner
    best of luck, hope it all goes according to plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭OBWON

Best of luck roadrunner

Picked up number earlier. Expo was great. Bought loads of gear but got inane out quickly as wanted to stay off feet. Leg is so so. A little sore today. Ran 4 miles yesterday and it was the best it has been in 3 weeks so hopefully I'll get the rub of the green.

Thanks for all the messages much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭chatoon

Very best of luck roadrunner - the weather for tomorrow is meant to be ideal so fingers crossed that all goes well for you - enjoy the race :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Best of luck tomorrow, enjoy!!.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck tomorrow. Hope it's not too warm for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Fingers and toes crossed....!

• Advertisement

News has just broken of your fantastic PB. Congrats on a great race and crossing the finish line in such a good time, with those threatening injuries. Looking forward to the race report!

Advertisement