Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hippies - Where have they all gone?

Options
  • 18-10-2008 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I remember growing up there used to be loads of hippies around most were English and actually quite well educated and they seemed to rebel against the stiff British upper lip. Most would live in cheap houses or in some sort mobile homes or caravans.

I remember one crowd living in a hut built out sticks with a grass roof. They generally were pretty harmless and lived off dole and loved to have a small patch of weed growing somewhere. Hippies flocked to Kerry and West Cork and the place was full of them in the late 80's and 90's. Occasionally you'd see a few around now but most seem to have disappeared.

I wonder did they return to normal life and abandon the whole hippy counter-culture.

Did the collapse of Communism cause them to lose faith I wonder or was it the Celtic Tiger (deceased)? Growing up I was friends with several hippys and they were unusual as they often travelled alot compared to normal spud people.

Anyone know? Do we have hippys here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

They disappeared in a puff of 'smoke'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I think they all moved to a hippy colony or farm or whatever you want to call it, in west cork. Nice place i hear. Lots of tents...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

And rainbows l heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

They are all ex bank employees feeling the pinch .You will find them on London underground system reading the Financial times ,situations vacant pages .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

They came from UK after the Brits paid them money to come off the UK dole.

Read about it on here recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

They got jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I thought they all joined the Green Party!
    Now there's a bunch who plans are going up in smoke too!

They are in Rossport starving thmselves!\o/

They are all in sangate france pretending to be refugees trying to enter uk/ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

gone? no no, they're right here above my leggies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I thought they were still in the place they always were - they just moved the elephants and giraffes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The hippies from the 80s and 90s were bogus hippies. They've all now got homeopathic surgeries, mobiles and big mansions in the country. Us proper hippies from an earlier decade all became lawyers and accountants, losing both our appeal and balance at the same time.

The rest of the proper hippies died, leaping out of windows on acid thinking that they could fly. Happy days. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Maybe there was some sort of personal hygiene act introduced in 1970's that made all those hippies start taking proper showers and baths, and shaving their heads, cos there was a whole ecosystem of life-forms on their bodies by that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Still around here and there.

I think the Commercial Celtic tiger showed the new generation that the community could go to hell if there was a bit of cash in it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

And some of the remaining real hippies are bitter old men because their vision of Eutopia never happened .Look at Ringo Starr , a real hippy ,peace and love and all that but fcuk dont ask me for any more authographs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

They all went to Rosport or to live in trees/sustainble communities(or whatever you call trees thes days).

No one ever told them what anrchy was and why it was one of the bloodies times in history.

Hippy-i-aye
    Hippy-i-Ooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Have you tried Galway? Or are they bohemians rather than hippys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Have you tried Galway? Or are they bohemians rather than hippys?

Can someone explin the difference between
    bohemian
    Hippie
    Krusty

Or Bozo the clown ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

Can someone explin the difference between
    bohemian
    Hippie
    Krusty

bohemian- always wash themselves
    Hippie -sometimes wash themselves
    Krusty- NEVER wash themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Their all in Galway. There is a commune near kinvara if I remember, correctly.

syklops wrote: »
    Their all in Galway. There is a commune near kinvara if I remember, correctly.
    So Cromwell was right , to hell or to counaght

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would have thought all they hippies ended up in California.

Overheal wrote: »
    I would have thought all they hippies ended up in California.
    Some of them were born there to ,like the mamas and the papas,the byrds,dennis wilson , jim morrrison etc .Cant get more califorian hippe than that except they were famous hippies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

latchyco wrote: »
    Some of them were born there to ,like the mamas and the papas,the byrds,dennis wilson , jim morrrison etc .Cant get more califorian hippe than that except they were famous hippies

Aren't they all dead?

Is that what happened to the hippies? They're all...dead? Was there a holocaust nobody told me about?

One of my friend's brothers still lives in a VW camper, going here and there. Hunting magic mushrooms etc.....

Aren't they all dead?

Is that what happened to the hippies? They're all...dead? Was there a holocaust nobody told me about?
    No , they are Under the boards.ie walk down by the seaee, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

sharpshooter, you so ker-azy!

• Advertisement

sharpshooter, you so ker-azy[/quote]

Ker-azy , Ker-azy for feeling so blue.

Advertisement