Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home and Away [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Does anyone actually call him Alf?!!

I think John Palmer has called him Alf a few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

But these two (Sally & Marilyn) are like daughters to him, its weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Quiet Girl

I think Irene calls him Alf

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

toadfly wrote: »
    But these two (Sally & Marilyn) are like daughters to him, its weird!

Would you call your dad by his first name though? To me it makes sense they call him that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

How are Matt and Maddy going to pay for a place? He delivers a few pizzas, and the rest of their time is spent going from the diner, to the beach, to Angelo's, back to the beach, "hanging out", back to the diner, roaming in and out of each others houses. Does anyone close a door?
    It was funny last night when Chris cracked up and ran into the room to sulk and lay on the bed. When he lay down, the sun was shining on his face, a minute before, when sitting at the TV, the sun was shining in his face, and when he goes to the kitchen, the sun is also shining in the window. It's the same carry on in Pippa's house. A house full of strays, with the sun shining in every window.
    To make Sky seem goofy and innocent, they stick a pair of glasses on her.
    Has there ever been a black person in Home and Away? Or anyone who smokes, curses, has bad teeth, has a functioning family, doesn't have issues?

• Advertisement

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Has there ever been a black person in Home and Away? Or anyone who smokes, curses, has bad teeth, has a functioning family, doesn't have issues?

I remember they had an indigenous teacher once, way back when Hayley and Noah and all that mob were still on it. Hayley kept racially abusing him, calling him and "Abbo" and I think he might have hit her... can't remember exactly but I'm fairly sure he lost his temper and ended up losing his job or quitting.

I don't remember there ever being a non indigenous black person though. I'm not sure what the population mix there would be in Australia. There's definitely a huge Asian population in Australia though, not sure that's ever been represented on H&A either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,885 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I remember they had an indigenous teacher once, way back when Hayley and Noah and all that mob were still on it. Hayley kept racially abusing him, calling him and "Abbo" and I think he might have hit her... can't remember exactly but I'm fairly sure he lost his temper and ended up losing his job or quitting.

I don't remember there ever being a non indigenous black person though. I'm not sure what the population mix there would be in Australia. There's definitely a huge Asian population in Australia though, not sure that's ever been represented on H&A either.

There was a black girl which Ailsa brought back from Ethiopia once wasn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

All the teens arrive with no parents in the bay, its so unrealistic, if you want to run away from home go live in Summer Bay, there's always someone willing to take you in and "adopt you".

fin12 wrote: »
    All the teens arrive with no parents in the bay, its so unrealistic, if you want to run away from home go live in Summer Bay, there's always someone willing to take you in and "adopt you".

It's the whole basis of the show. The focus was originally on the Caravan Park and Pippa and her husband used to take in all the strays. It's a bit of a stretch that they've almost eliminated any "traditional" family set ups at this point but it's not that surprising that they stick with the adopting strays angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Quazzie wrote: »
    There was a black girl which Ailsa brought back from Ethiopia once wasn't there?

Elijah, think he was aboriginal, brought back some woman and her son from Africa and married her IIRC.
    Don't think there has been a gay character in it either, can't remember many Asian people in it either.

But most concerning is the complete lack of Android phones. 100% Apple iPhones in Summer bay,

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Elijah, think he was aboriginal, brought back some woman and her son from Africa and married her IIRC.
    Don't think there has been a gay character in it either, can't remember many Asian people in it either.

Elijah was a Pacific Islander, not really the same thing. He did bring back a wife from Africa though. Quite a pale wife....

article-1320167587004-0b462baa00000578-856570_568x378.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=620&h=0&crop=1

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that African and Aboriginal are same thing. more that be brought an African character briefly into the show.

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that African and Aboriginal are same thing. more that be brought an African character briefly into the show.

Yeah, I got that, I was just clarifying that Elijah himself was not an Aboriginal character. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

fin12 wrote: »

so how long do we think it will be before jet is dumped and his ex starts going out with oscar? all the while living with her ex's adoptive father

wawaman wrote: »
    so how long do we think it will be before jet is dumped and his ex starts going out with oscar? all the while living with her ex's adoptive father

Give it a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

But most concerning is the complete lack of Android phones. 100% Apple iPhones in Summer bay,

Pippa's son Christopher was gay. And Shannen (Isla Fisher) "became" a lesbian shortly before she left the show! There was also a kid with HIV years ago,before it became more tackled in these kinds of shows. His name was Edward and he was a goth and he lived in Irene's house (obvs!). Think his mother was the school principal. Then again who hasn't been?!

I think H&A is pretty good at tackling all these issues to be honest,credit where its due.

There was another guy Hassan that Leah went out with ages ago too? Remember him being in a coma (again,who hasn't been?) but don't know what happened him after that.

MelanieC wrote: »
    There was also a kid with HIV years ago,before it became more tackled in these kinds of shows.

Cassie got HIV as well while on the show didnt she?

Cassie got HIV as well while on the show didnt she?

Yeah you're right plus Nicole had a scare from a needle on the beach too,its just that this Edward kid was years before it was as acceptable as it is now,so it was a huge deal back then. Must've been in the 90's coz I remember having a bit of a crush on him when I was a teenager! :-)

oh ya I remember him. I think Leah went out with him didn't she?

MelanieC wrote: »
    Yeah you're right plus Nicole had a scare from a needle on the beach too,its just that this Edward kid was years before it was as acceptable as it is now,so it was a huge deal back then. Must've been in the 90's coz I remember having a bit of a crush on him when I was a teenager! :-)

Edward had Huntington's Disease, not HIV.

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Charlie Buckton, the cop who I think was Ruby's older sister, was gay. As was her girlfriend Joey :D

dee_mc wrote: »
    Charlie Buckton, the cop who I think was Ruby's older sister, was gay. As was her girlfriend Joey :D

Rubys sister turned mother. Was she gay? She was with Brax for a long time though?

Rubys sister turned mother. Was she gay? She was with Brax for a long time though?

She had a relationship with this Joey wan anyway, she was living in Leah's house at the time. I'd forgotten about her being Ruby's mother!

Yeah, H&A doesn't do gay, they do temporarily bi and then swiftly back to hetero once the viewers have a whinge. Pretty sure the Charlie/Joey thing got all sorts of negative reaction from angry little tools.

Neighbours, for all it's faults and failings, has been much better as far as sexuality is concerned.

well I think she was bisexual really, she went out with Brax after that.

Edward had Huntington's Disease, not HIV.

hqdefault.jpg

Ah yeah that was it. I'm getting my illnesses mixed up! I remember that they had a big story about Joey Rainbow (also lived at Irene's! Lol!) suffering from schizophrenia and his girlfriend Miranda had HIV. Don't know if that was before or after. Aww,Edward was a cutie alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,712 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Joey reminds me of Billie

I think Joey fancied Charlie and they kissed that was it, don't think they had a relationship

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Joey reminds me of Billie

I think Joey fancied Charlie and they kissed that was it, don't think they had a relationship

Nah I remember it, it may have been brief but they had a relationship, then she cheated on Joey with a man and Joey left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

She had a relationship with this Joey wan anyway, she was living in Leah's house at the time. I'd forgotten about her being Ruby's mother!

It lasted about a week and was the most feeble attempt to broach their backward stance on homosexuality. I recall show producers even apologising to the conservative fanbase , for the kiss. It was literally just a peck on the lips for 2 seconds! Also because she was gay, Joey was portrayed as this outsider, almost wierd individual. Re Christopher it was just heavily implied that he had an interest in Seb but I dont recall any revelations as to his sexuality. Shannon and Mandy may as well have been just friends or sisters with what we seen onscreen! Even when she stayed in Mandys caravan she slept in a different bed!!! I think there may have been a kiss but it was cut out after contreversy and the story just seemed to have lots of gaps missing.
    Mandy was a writer and bthats why Shannon admired her so much.

H & A is touted as extremely homophobic by gay rights lobbys in Australia which are an extremely minute minority. People say Ireland was conservative up to 2 decades ago, Australia is twenty times worse.

I think the gay kiss in 2006 was Matilda seeing a guy she had a crush on have a kiss with a guy from a long distance away on the beach

• Advertisement

Nah I remember it, it may have been brief but they had a relationship, then she cheated on Joey with a man and Joey left.

They definitely had a brief relationship, I remember it lead to my all time favourite Home and Away line by Ruby ""That's still cheating!! Even in pretend lesbian land, or wherever it is that you are living at the moment!!"

Advertisement