Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmet or not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I don't wear one. Don't really see why it has to be so emotive. Anyway, I don't intend to have a crash that involves my head :)

Neither did I :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Raam wrote: »
    Neither did I :pac:

I can't help it if you're not as good as me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31,057 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Given the problems with population studies, and the limited availability of anecdotal evidence, it would be nice to have something like this public resource for accidents involving cyclists in Ireland, but widened to include all injurious incidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

As many have said already, I always wear one off-road or if I'm on a spin. When commuting I usually wear one, same with touring. I see plenty of better cyclists than me who don't wear them and plenty of worse cyclists who do wear them.

I've seen plenty of folk who wobble along with their tyres brushing the kerb and their helmet is bobbing along as they hit every bump at the edge of the road. I'm not sure what the point is of wearing a helmet if it's not strapped on properly. I suspect these folk look down on the bare skulled folk who zoom past them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

To me, not wearing a helmet is in many ways like not wearing a johnny, those who don't might have a lotta fun, save a bit of money on equipment while taking their chances and thinking they're invincible, those who do might feel a little restricted and perhaps a bit self conscious in public, but at least they've taken every preventative step available to them....

We're all riding our luck, in more ways than one, so the more protection the better!!

In other words, WEAR A FCUKING HELMET!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

To me, not wearing a helmet is in many ways like not wearing a johnny, those who don't might have a lotta fun, save a bit of money on equipment while taking their chances and thinking they're invincible, those who do might feel a little restricted and perhaps a bit self conscious in public, but at least they've taken every preventative step available to them....

We're all riding our luck, in more ways than one, so the more protection the better!!

Presumably you feel the exact same way about people driving cars then?

Sean_K wrote: »
    Presumably you feel the exact same way about people driving cars then?

What?!?!?!?!?!?

Too many bumps to the head for poor aul seaney boy, can only guess you're trying to apply my points to cars, which is strange, I think someone's in the wrong thread, try octane.ie for helmet tips.

Comparing the needs of a lycra-clad cyclist to a metal-encased motorist cushioned by a zillion airbags is as hilarious as it is stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

and why would i feel self-conscious about wearing a johnny in public?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

To me, not wearing a helmet is in many ways like not wearing a johnny.... those who do might feel a little restricted and perhaps a bit self conscious in public, but at least they've taken every preventative step available to them....

I don't know about you, but I never wear a johnny in public. Also, I have never risked getting someone pregnant by falling off my bike. Well, there was that one time.....

I think we have established that it is a case of "to each his own" so you might have to dismount from that high horse round these parts, 'pardner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

So you haven't read the conflicting reports on their effectiveness then?

• Advertisement

Comparing the needs of a lycra-clad cyclist to a metal-encased motorist cushioned by a zillion airbags is as hilarious as it is stupid

As myself and someone else mentioned earlier, wearing a helmet in a car reduces the risk of death by head injury by a factor of 17. You are the one advocating as many preventative measures as possible, why is it a different case for motorists. No difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

What?!?!?!?!?!?

Too many bumps to the head for poor aul seaney boy, can only guess you're trying to apply my points to cars, which is strange, I think someone's in the wrong thread, try octane.ie for helmet tips.

Read the thread next time sunshine
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57625068&postcount=27

Jaysus is there no room for a bit of jovial banter in the boards world, or is it all life and death chats about fixies and bus drivers, lighten up lads, Monday's depressing enough

Wow, is this the same guy?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Wow, is this the same guy?

"Wow" indeed, guess I was rude enough to think I could interject with some light hearted analogy, but in future I'll stick to statistics, numbers, research, blahdy blah....

Jaysus is there no room for a bit of jovial banter in the boards world, or is it all life and death chats about fixies and bus drivers, lighten up lads, Monday's depressing enough

yeah your post was hilarious. I was laughing on the inside. Honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

A helmet is only one part of being safe on a bike. The elements that a cyclist has control over are(in no particular order):

1. obeying traffic lights,
    2. hand signals,
    3. lights,
    4. reflective clothing,
    5. bicycle maintenace,
    6. road position,
    7. handling skills,
    8. not cycling up the inside of a big frigging truck,
    9. helmet,
    10 experience.

I prefer to cycle for accident avoidance rather than dress for damage limitation. Sure I'd be marginally safer in certain types of accident with a helmet on, but then I take far less risks than every other cyclist I encounter on my commute. So I'm probably less likely to be in an accident.

Consider also, that by wearing a helmet while cycling in traffic, you may be increasing the likelihood of getting in an accident in the first place.
    Regarding accident avoidance, it may be best not to wear one.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/somerset/5334208.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Always wear one! Never leave the house without it!

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Consider also, that by wearing a helmet while cycling in traffic, you may be increasing the likelihood of getting in an accident in the first place.
    Regarding accident avoidance, it may be best not to wear one.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/somerset/5334208.stm

Its hard for some people to grasp that what appears to be the right thing to do may not actually be the safest. Its similar to the argument some people make for SUVs keeping their kids safe. Yes its safer to be in an SUV if you're involved in a crash, but you're far more likely to be in a crash if you drive an SUV than if you drive a car.

I generally don't wear a helmet. But if I was ever to race or be in a large group of riders cycling at close quarters, I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Bruce Schneier writes about this sort of thng, actual risk versus perceived risk, making logical assessments etc. He writes in the context of security, but it's applicable.

http://www.schneier.com/essay-155.html

(It's a long enough read)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Verb wrote: »
    (It's a long enough read)

You weren't kidding! It over 13,000 words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

what's a helmet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Some kind of magic amulet you wear around your neck, said to protect its wearers from all kinds of evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Some kind of magic amulet you wear around your neck, said to protect its wearers from all kinds of evil.

does it repel mingers in coppers on a friday night?

If it does, I need one of 'em badly.

There are mingers in coppers? You should never enter that place without a pair of beer goggles.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    coppers? You should never enter that place.
    fixed that for you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Its hard for some people to grasp that what appears to be the right thing to do may not actually be the safest. Its similar to the argument some people make for SUVs keeping their kids safe. Yes its safer to be in an SUV if you're involved in a crash, but you're far more likely to be in a crash if you drive an SUV than if you drive a car.
    50 kids a year get killed in the US because SUV's are too high to see them in the rear view mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 31,057 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

50 kids a year get killed in the US because SUV's are too high to see them in the rear view mirror

I'm not sure that's an "SUV" issue. You could have the same rear visibility problem with a van or MPV, or a loaded up Prius.

IMO the kids are not killed because the SUVs are too high, they're killed because (a) the drivers are not driving with due care and attention as required by their vehicle type (b) the kids are not paying attention to their environment (but yes, I have kids and know this is difficult to fix).

A toddler got killed in our Clonsilla estate a couple of years back when his Dad reversed over him (Dad left for work, toddler went out after him and behind the car). I can't quite remember what car he was driving, but ISTR it was an ordinary saloon or hatch. Very, very tragic.

FWIW, I don't own an SUV but I do have an MPV with limited rear view; however I do have rear parking sensors which seem foolproof (although I still use my mirrors).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

IMHO -- To not wear one is stupidity... I grew up in NZ and its an enforced law. Forget about being cool if you head hits the pavement, or a car, at 30mph you'd really wished you were wearing one.
    ...and of course I always wear one if I'm walking and driving, as it provides the same protection for those activities, and I wouldn't want to be seen as inconsistent or uninformed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Just found this thread and my first reaction was not this old chestnut again and was going to stop reading but found the non-helmet posts very entertaining!

I can't see why you guys are getting so hot and bothered! If you want to wear a helmet then wear one, if you don't then don't! It is totally up to the individual, just leave them be, why does either side try force their opinions on others?. I personally wear a helmet, thats my choice. I don't give a flying **** if other people do or don't!

It's a never ending debate thats always goes nowhere, lets have a decent deabate on some real issues like Marmite or vegimite, (imo; no contest, no aussie stuff for me!:D) or better still which is best Campag or Shimano, doh! thats done it I'm off.........!

Advertisement