Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmet or not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nipplenuts wrote: »
    If you do not wear a helmet you are more likely to end up posting rubbish like this.

"Do you wear one in a car?" Who cycles in a car?
    Yeah, I'm the one posting rubbish :rolleyes:

I find many of these helmet threads quite offensive, the "wearers" branding people idiots and stupid and refusing to see another's point of view or reasoning why not to wear one. I have yet to see a "non-wearer" branding them idiots, though much of the reasoning seems 50/50.

Growing up I never saw people wearing helmets though they were available, I suppose everybodys parents were simply stupid or idiots though...
    None. But you're missing the point. The issue is cyclists and helmet
    He is not missing the point, you just cannot come up with a reasonable reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Junior

There's a group of about 6 of us that go out, i'm normally the non helmet wearing one in the group, although of the group I'm the only one to have raced, if the group gets any bigger I normally stick a lid on.

I don't see it as a must have when I'm out training, however I'd never race without one, nor would I want to go back to those soft leather helmets I had to use racing when underage, they were terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Was just reading a paper carried out at the University of New England, Australia which concluded that a compulsory helmet law for motor vehicle occupants would save as much as 17 times more people from death by head injury (Head injuries and bicycle helmet laws
    Accident Analysis & Prevention, Volume 28, Issue 4, July 1996, Pages 463-475
    ).

I mean, you turn on top gear on a sunday and the "star in a reasonably priced car" segment they have full racing harness and helmet in a standard road car on a closed track!

I wear a helmet when out on the saturday spins, but I don't wear one when commuting. I don't really have a reason one way or the other and I don't understand the point of this thread. These kind of issues are like abortion debate or marmite, there are two distinct groups with polarised opinions, each equally valid. But at the end of the day all anyone ends up saying is "we shall agree to disagree"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    These kind of issues are like marmite, there are two distinct groups with polarised opinions, each equally valid.

Afraid it's nothing like this -Marmite is the fuel of the gods, and anyone who disagrees is simply wrong! :)

Here you go sir: I Love Marmite

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have a look at the cool stuff on www.goeco.ie The helmets are brill, look like regular hats & caps. Whilst your on there site look at the wire less lights with indicators

Spam you say?
    And by the way. That is THE WORST site i've seen in a long time!

Back on topic, personally, i wear one, have taken a few "head first" spills off the bike, and credit the helmet to saving me, whether that's true or not i dont know. I dont see what the big deal is, it's your head, do what you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Can I ask of the people who do NOT wear a helmet what's the main reason (negating safety or lack there of):

1) Price?
    2) Discomfort?
    3) Appearance?
    4) Convenience of not having to carry one when destination is reached?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

72hundred wrote: »
    Can I ask of the people who do NOT wear a helmet what's the main reason (negating safety or lack there of):

1) Price?
    2) Discomfort?
    3) Appearance?
    4) Convenience of not having to carry one when destination is reached?

A combination of 2,3 and 4.

Also a combination of 2,3 and 4.

I get terrible helmet hair!

Like I said, its personal preference like marmite (quiet tiny!). A friend of mine her PhD is to do with skull fractures (specifically titled "Traumatic Brain Injury Criteria for Blunt Head Impacts"). She went to do some work in belgium where all the researchers in that field cycled to work (tis belgium after all)and surprised at the fact that all these experts didn't wear helmets. I'm sure they were all aware of the benefits, but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It's a personal risk assessment. What annoys me is others criticising one's own assessment when they have not educated themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

marmite

Lets not get stupid now! Wearing marmite won't help you head. Vegemite however -- now thats the food of gods.

...what's the main reason...
    Sean_K wrote: »
    A combination of 2,3 and 4.
    Also a combination of 2,3 and 4.

I really was just looking for one reason! The opinions are all good reasons but I wanted to know the main one. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

A helmet is only one part of being safe on a bike. The elements that a cyclist has control over are(in no particular order):

1. obeying traffic lights,
    2. hand signals,
    3. lights,
    4. reflective clothing,
    5. bicycle maintenace,
    6. road position,
    7. handling skills,
    8. not cycling up the inside of a big frigging truck,
    9. helmet,
    10 experience.

I prefer to cycle for accident avoidance rather than dress for damage limitation. Sure I'd be marginally safer in certain types of accident with a helmet on, but then I take far less risks than every other cyclist I encounter on my commute. So I'm probably less likely to be in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blorg wrote: »
    Good article about cycling risk here.

blorg, that's a very interesting article, but (a) it's American; their roads are very different to ours (b) it totally fails to reconcile with the anecdotal evidence on boards.

It seems a decent fraction of the serious riders here have had multiple serious spills, often involving significant head impact. In fact, boards spins seem to have a risk profile akin to base jumping, going by the last few reports. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I really was just looking for one reason! The opinions are all good reasons but I wanted to know the main one. ;)
    Why just one reason? And, why did you decide to limit the choices?

Why just one reason? And, why did you decide to limit the choices?

I wondered what was the MAIN reason, so hence there could only be ONE. (Third time I've iterated that).

The limitation of the choices is what came to mind quickly. If there's more reasons not to wear a helmet I'd be interested in hearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I wear a helmet on the racer but not on the cruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

rubadub wrote: »
    skulls are a LOT stronger.
    This is a very general statement. The thickness of the skull varies hugely, and it is relatively thin around much of the crown. I've seen a close relative die from a fractured skull arising from a fall down a short flight of steps. It's hard to accept that similar injuries couldn't arise from many falls from a bike without a helmet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I wondered what was the MAIN reason, so hence there could only be ONE. (Third time I've iterated that).

The limitation of the choices is what came to mind quickly. If there's more reasons not to wear a helmet I'd be interested in hearing them.
    You've still not explained why you want people to state ONE MAIN reason (sic). Why is it important to you that people nominate ONE MAIN (sic) reason? Most well-thought out decisions are usually based on complex criteria.

Challenging people to offer reasons for not doing something and suggesting such trivial possible explanations gives the impression that you've already made your mind up.

I don't like your question and won't answer it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ok my one main reason is that helmets are unfashionable, uncomfortable and impractical contraptions :P

• Advertisement

You've still... ...won't answer it.

This has gone far enough OT. I'll PM you instead.

EDIT: Apparently I can't, "cyclopath2001 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages.". In any case I think its a redundant idea to reply in a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Sean_K wrote: »
    Ok my one main reason is that helmets are unfashionable, uncomfortable and impractical contraptions :P

thats 3 reasons:p the first is vanity, the second, yes, I can see where you got that from and the third is conjecture;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

No. Just no.

No. Just no.

Thats 2 reasons;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC it's one in 17 car fatalities could be avoided if car occupants wore helmets.

For bike helmets - get one with a blond wig attached !

IIRC it's one in 17 car fatalities could be avoided if car occupants wore helmets.

For bike helmets - get one with a blond wig attached !

Echo....echo....echo

I'm gonna hazard a guess here that MOST of the NO's have got a lot of years experience cycling, and Most of the YES's don't and the Sometimes have a lot of experience, but only wear helmets in large group rides or races.

I wear one, and have only been cycling "seriously" for about 6 months.

Helmets seem to be compulsary for "racing", and a lot of club spins "prefer" you to wear one, but not enforce you to wear one.
    As to the pros and cons of whether they protect you or not, is up to the individual to make up their own mind.
    Personally,I feel slightly safer wearing one. Whether I actually am safer is another story, will I take more risks, because I am wearing a helmet......who knows. But I do know this, when I come off the bike, whether I'm wearing a helmet or not, its more likely to be my elbows, hips, legs, or shoulders that take the brunt of the fall, before my head, and they are only protected by a thin layer of fabric

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

I wear one on large group rides. I think the perceived protection offered is greater than the actual protection. It is my understanding that many people feel that a helmet is "safe" and no helmet is "not safe". I think thats a bit simplistic.
    I don't like wearing one because it makes my head sweaty and i like the feel of the wind in my hair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I wear one when heading on the bike, no matter what the distance. Unless I'm just cycling down the campus concourse. They've not "saved my life" in the past but have saved me from some pretty nasty cuts and scars down the top and side of my head. In once accident I went over the handlebars after hitting a stone that I didnt spot in the road off my first road bike (a falcon corsa if you must know, subsequently was stolen when I moved to dublin) landed on my head, tumbled a few times - all on a main road that was going downhill. Got whacked buy a guy in bmw when crossing the portobello bridge heading northbound - accelerated till he was level with me then turned and braked - que hard breaking, cliping back of car and ending up smacking the ground again. Cracked the helmet that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't wear one. Don't really see why it has to be so emotive. Anyway, I don't intend to have a crash that involves my head :)

Advertisement