Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying one of these cannondales

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

How about you get areal mountain bike then... and just ride it. That cannondale is like marrying your cousin -- its something you'll find okay but no one will every understand.

For the money, 1600 ish, I would buy a decent mountain bike and slip a pir of good slicks on it for your commute. Scott scale and that way you could do some real mountin biking if you so desire.

However, if yu have no desire to do ful on mountain biking, nor road racing, I suggest getting an ANNUAL BUS PASS...... failing that a cheap as chips (799) commuter after....... you wil use it for is getting to work and nothing else. It also sounds like ou should buy locally so you can take i in for servicng

I already have two "real" mountain bikes, a rocky mountain switch sl and a rocky mountain vertex built up with xtr, sram and dt swiss parts.

I have no intentions of buying a road bike, I don't like drop bars :)

No need to buy locally, I can service bikes, I built the rocky vertex myself and I have most of the specialized tools needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Seriously, don't buy that "thing". It looks like a cross between the hulk and patches O'hoolihan!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

How about you get areal mountain bike then... and just ride it. That cannondale is like marrying your cousin -- its something you'll find okay but no one will every understand.
    I don't normally do this but I genuinely LOLed :D

Riding a MTB on the road is going to be generally pretty frustrating and pointless IMHO.

If you want something that will do light track but don't plan crazy stuff a cyclocross bike is a very good option- get one with brakes on the flats if you are afraid of the drops (you will probably come around to them in time when the wind starts up.) Or get a flat bar cross bike if you really want.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Neilw wrote: »
    I have no intentions of buying a road bike, I don't like drop bars :)
    What is it about the road bike and drop bars, you seem to have something really visceral going on with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Buy the Cannondale!

It's a good safe bike for riding around the streets. In fact get a big luminous jersey and wear your helmet backwards while you're at it.

:D:D:D

hic! I'd better go to bed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Neilw wrote: »
    Road based hybrid is not what I'm looking for, I would like the option of being able to use it on some light off road tracks.

Not sure why you'd want to ride your commuter off-road since you already have two good mtbs. However, if that's what you want then a cyclocross bike is the way to go. With flat bars if you're so inclined. Drop bars are great though (IMO).

Either that or stick some 1" slicks on the Switch and put a rear carrier on it ;).

Right, the g-star is out, don't like the look of it having seen it in the metal.
    Was in cycleways and cyclogical yesterday, looked at specialized sirrus and kona hybrids which I didn't like the look of.
    I did like the all black cannondale bad boys, so I've narrowed it down to either of these two.
    They are 08 bikes which does not bother me at all.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/bad-boy-8-2008-hybrid-bike-ec000110

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/bad-boy-700-2007-hybrid-bike-ec014831

Fitted with full mudguards.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25793

And semi-knobby tyres like these.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20457

I know people are going to say cannondales are overpriced but I like the look of them compared to any of the other hybrid/city bikes I've seen.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Are you sure proper mudguards will fit a bad boy?

FWIW, you can get full chromoplastic mudguards in black (I have them), and they look much better than silver on a dark bike IMO.

Lumen wrote: »
    Are you sure proper mudguards will fit a bad boy?

FWIW, you can get full chromoplastic mudguards in black (I have them), and they look much better than silver on a dark bike IMO.

Not 100% sure they will fit, only going on what a guy in cycleways said.
    The mudguards are available in black, I wouldn't put silver on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Squinting at the picture - it doesn't look like there are mudguard eyelets on the disc fork (they're on the non-disc model). The disc caliper could also interfere with fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Morgan wrote: »
    Squinting at the picture - it doesn't look like there are mudguard eyelets on the disc fork (they're on the non-disc model). The disc caliper could also interfere with fitting.

they do support the guards like these though:

9VS8_BBQ.jpg

Advertisement