Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying one of these cannondales

Options
  • 16-10-2008 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was a keen cyclist until a few years ago but I want to get back on the bike, I've just sold an mtb that I never used for 1500 so I'm thinking of buying one of these to ease back into cycling.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/g-star-raw-2008-hybrid-bike-ec000215

I'm going to use it to cycle to work, 1 mile each way :D and also just for getting some miles done in the evenings and weekends.

What are your opinions on the cannondale?

Thanks,
    Neil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Incredibly bad value for money, overpriced co-branding horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

It looks crap imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Morgan wrote: »
    Incredibly bad value for money, overpriced co-branding horror.

Any reason why you think that?

It has a bad boy alu frame, oil/air headshock with lockout, hydraulic discs, integrated 3watt rechargeable led light. I think it has a lot going for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

There's one in Cycleways. It looks like a tank, horrible thing.
    Pop down there had have a look at the Cannondale Bad Boy single speed. (sexy)
    Giant make a nice city bike too, with hub gears and discs etc.

studiorat wrote: »
    There's one in Cycleways. It looks like a tank, horrible thing.
    Pop down there had have a look at the Cannondale Bad Boy single speed. (sexy)
    Giant make a nice city bike too, with hub gears and discs etc.

Thanks for that, I'll go in cycleways today :)

I don't like giants, never liked the look of them. I know they make good bikes, I used to sell them but I just don't like the styling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Neilw wrote: »

It has a bad boy alu frame, oil/air headshock with lockout, hydraulic discs, integrated 3watt rechargeable led light. I think it has a lot going for it.

It's a nice bike but it's shockingly overpriced for the components that come with it.

penexpers wrote: »
    It's a nice bike but it's shockingly overpriced for the components that come with it.

Even with 200sterling off the price, free delivery to Ireland with evans cycles too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

eugh.
    //looks for vomiticon

OK, so what would you recommend? I have up to 1600euro's to spend.

The front suspension is completely superflous on a bike intended for road use. It adds weight, complexity and cost.

It comes with mudguards, but they're too short and will result in your legs and back being covered in road-spray.

I wouldn't be too influenced by the light - lights are cheap.

By comparision, here's a mtb with Alfine hub, discs and suspension for £250 less (£450 less than RRP)
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ridgeback/genesis-io-id-2009-mountain-bike-ec017147
    (I wouldn't recommend this one either - just to show the price)

On the positive side - the chain guard is handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Even with 200sterling off the price, free delivery to Ireland with evans cycles too?

It's 200 sterling off because it's last years model.

The components on it are mostly mid-to-lower range. If I was spending that much on a bike, I would expect slightly higher end components.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

tbh i'd rather do the one mile on my hands and knees, but...

underneath all that branding there is the semblance of a good(ish) commuter. you do not need suspension on the road (heavy and pointless), i have similar view about disc brakes. but if you really want a bad boy why not just get one and stick mudguards on it. it's still hugely overpriced though.

how secure is the area this bike would be parked at work? that's a very pricey commuter that anto would be very interested in. and all that branding screams "resale value" to me.

have you considered a road orientated hybrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I like the look of this
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/plug-racer-2008-road-bike-ec000243

Although Anto might like that one too.

niceonetom wrote: »
    tbh i'd rather do the one mile on my hands and knees, but...

underneath all that branding there is the semblance of a good(ish) commuter. you do not need suspension on the road (heavy and pointless), i have similar view about disc brakes. but if you really want a bad boy why not just get one and stick mudguards on it. it's still hugely overpriced though.

how secure is the area this bike would be parked at work? that's a very pricey commuter that anto would be very interested in. and all that branding screams "resale value" to me.

have you considered a road orientated hybrid?

Area I will leave the bike is secure, there a plenty of good bikes parked each day.

The cannondale fitted the bill as I could fit some semi knobby tyres and use it along the canal, suspension would help for that too.

Road based hybrid is not what I'm looking for, I would like the option of being able to use it on some light off road tracks.

Area I will leave the bike is secure, there a plenty of good bikes parked each day.

The cannondale fitted the bill as I could fit some semi knobby tyres and use it along the canal, suspension would help for that too.

Road based hybrid is not what I'm looking for, I would like the option of being able to use it on some light off road tracks.

I dunno about you, but I'd get two bikes :)
    One for the road, one for not on the road.

Yeah, your €1600 budget would get you a cheap commuter and something nicer for longer spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Neilw, I bet you wish you didn't come one here!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How about either of these?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Felt_F1X_2008/5360032885/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Focus_Mares_Expert_2009/5360037600/

Well within budget and would do "light off road tracks" no problem.

eta: the Felt is almost out of stock - only big ones left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Hi all,

I was a keen cyclist until a few years ago but I want to get back on the bike, I've just sold an mtb that I never used for 1500 so I'm thinking of buying one of these to ease back into cycling.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/g-star-raw-2008-hybrid-bike-ec000215

I'd say BikeSnob would go to town on that one ! (not literally)

He really wants a road bike. He just doesn't know it yet.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »

FWIW, my last bike (hybrid with drops) had 32 mm tyres and a suspension seatpost, and the comfort was great. It worked well enough on road to do 50+ mile weekend spins at a reasonable clip, too. Not very fashionable in this age of plastic race bikes though.

I'm still getting used to riding a proper road bike, i.e. having to dodge potholes rather than glide over them.

Those cyclocross bikes look a right laugh.

Lumen wrote: »
    How about either of these?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Felt_F1X_2008/5360032885/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Focus_Mares_Expert_2009/5360037600/

Well within budget and would do "light off road tracks" no problem.

eta: the Felt is almost out of stock - only big ones left.

I looked at a couple of cyclocross bikes in cycleways today, a specialized for 999 and a cannondale for 1250 I think, they appealed to me more then the g-star cannondale did. Didn't look great in the metal although I was looking at in in the window of debenhams :rolleyes:
    Raam wrote: »

Not a chance, not into road bikes at all.

So the g-star is out, a cyclocross with full mudguards may fit the bill, but the drop bars are putting me off.

Time to look at hybrids I think :confused:

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    Neilw, I bet you wish you didn't come one here!

Not really, would I redeem myself if I posted what my other two bike are I wonder :D

but the drop bars are putting me off.

What's wrong with 'em?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

niceonetom wrote: »

A few nice Kinesis cross bikes on there.

This one hits the budget.

CrosslightEvo3Bike08.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

Got one last xmas and never looked back. No suspension, decent disc brakes and frame strong enough to take the potholes and single tracks if you want.

Main reason I changed to it from a road bike (apart from the urban good looks :pac: ) was that it meant I could watch the traffic around me instead of trying to spot and avoid every pothole on the commute and particularly in town.

The 2009 model is here for €575.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

lovely planet x cyclocross build with flat bars that I have been considering for a while. Might fit the bill? £599GBP only large left though.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24233

24233.Jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

How about you get areal mountain bike then... and just ride it. That cannondale is like marrying your cousin -- its something you'll find okay but no one will every understand.

For the money, 1600 ish, I would buy a decent mountain bike and slip a pir of good slicks on it for your commute. Scott scale and that way you could do some real mountin biking if you so desire.

However, if yu have no desire to do ful on mountain biking, nor road racing, I suggest getting an ANNUAL BUS PASS...... failing that a cheap as chips (799) commuter after....... you wil use it for is getting to work and nothing else. It also sounds like ou should buy locally so you can take i in for servicng

Advertisement