Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish women have NO MANNERS

Options
  • 16-10-2008 3:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

O.K first of all i probably should not be posting at 3.16 am while the issue is still raw in my mind but i feel the need to share.

I also feel bad and wrong to generalise Irish women in to this categoy but presently i feel as if i have no other choice.

Tonight after having a few and in few i literally mean three drinks, whilst out, I encountered the most UNMANNERLY and nasty female indivuals whilst in a queue to get food after te club.
    Now these two "females" in question behind me were shrieking quite loudly in my ear and i polietely turned to them and asked them to lower their tone and i was greeted with hateful and nasty replies, to the manner of where i had been tonight and if i was wearing a hearing aid.

I have no words for how i feel at the moment except despair. I feel sorry for our future generations with thesepeople for mothers out there. Had i not left the queue i am certain i would have been engaged in a physical altercation as i heard one of them as i left the qeue stating how she could 'defend her corner' against me.

What is our coutry coming to i ask you?
    Seriously, i am really worried.
    and i know i will probably recieve alot of backalsh for this post but i do truly believe that manners are slowly being forgotten in out country.,the country known widely as the land of 1,000 welcomes and known for our hospilatilty. I have seen men post in boards here before about the behaviour of irish women whilst out in clubs and when they reject the advances of another and tonight, i can clearly see why they are so upset.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Stop lad, hanging is too good for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

funkycat83 wrote: »

We're turning into a pack of whiney little bitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    bitches!
    Noooooooo!!! not that word!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭funkycat83

oh i know! right now i KNOW! i actually have no words! and what sickens me the most is -I too- am an Irish Female, thankfully I can thank my parents for raising me properly with manners and decency.

I truly do feel for the Irish men out there I really do, no wonder one of my friends has given up completely on Irish females. and after tonight I dont blame him one bit. He is clearly better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Take no offence here please,
    These sound like (slighly) Drunken ramblings, and I would know I am the king of them!!!

You really need to lighten up, they were out clubbin, out for a laugh and probably more than a few drinks!!! It's what happens. Almost every girl I know who drinks does it on occasion!!!

You said "Irish women have NO MANNERS", thats a bit sweeping isn't it?

"thankfully I can thank my parents for raising me properly with manners and decency."

Are you insinuating from your previous statement as well that you are one of the only mannerly and decent people in Ireland?

Some Irish women have no manners, especially when Drunk. would be a more appropriate title.

Oh and how you are raised doesn't always have an effect on your manners.

You seemingly have been raised with a sense of superiority.

Again no offence, considering they are probably half steamed posts, which I have more than my fair share of, just pointing out some errors in your logic,

and I am kinda annoyed I didn't go out tonight!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I feel sorry for our future generations with these people for mothers out there.

HelenLovejoy.jpg

Will someone please think of the children.

O.K first of all i probably should not be posting at 3.16 am while the issue is still raw in my mind but i feel the need to share.

I also feel bad and wrong to generalise Irish women in to this categoy but presently i feel as if i have no other choice.

Tonight after having a few and in few i literally mean three drinks, whilst out, I encountered the most UNMANNERLY and nasty female indivuals whilst in a queue to get food after te club.
    Now these two "females" in question behind me were shrieking quite loudly in my ear and i polietely turned to them and asked them to lower their tone and i was greeted with hateful and nasty replies, to the manner of where i had been tonight and if i was wearing a hearing aid.

I have no words for how i feel at the moment except despair. I feel sorry for our future generations with thesepeople for mothers out there. Had i not left the queue i am certain i would have been engaged in a physical altercation as i heard one of them as i left the qeue stating how she could 'defend her corner' against me.

and i know i will probably recieve alot of backalsh for this post but i do truly believe that manners are slowly being forgotten in out country.,the country known widely as the land of 1,000 welcomes and known for our hospilatilty. I have seen men post in boards here before about the behaviour of irish women whilst out in clubs and when they reject the advances of another and tonight, i can clearly see why they are so upset.

so let me get this straight. you are comparing the entire female population of ireland to two drunks you met in a chippy at 2am on a wednesday night? GET A GRIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Irish WOMEN have no manners?? Check out Irish men sometime. :rolleyes:

/sweeping generalisation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

/me picks up a bucket of popcorn and leaves this thread open.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That's a mighty big tar brush you have there OP :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

/me picks up a bucket of popcorn and leaves this thread open.
    Do you fancy sharing that popcorn? This could get interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I think that where ever you go, to whatever country, you will find people that lack basic manners.

It's not a recent thing, there have always been people with no manners, especially after a few pints. The thread title implies that all Irish women lack manners, I was raised to have manners and respect others as were the majority of other people (not just girls) I know.

You ran into a couple of drunk girls in a fast food place after a nights drinking. They were mean to you, so you come on here saying the female population of this country and their children are doomed to a life without manners?? It's a bit much to be honest.
    :confused:
    Yes you do? Actions of 2 drunken muppets in a fast food que hardly leaves you backed into a corner with no other statement to make.

If even a quarter of the women in Ireland acted like this on a night out, any town would be 10 times more dangerous than they are now.

Fair play for walking away though. The right thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

so let me get this straight. you are comparing the entire female population of ireland to two drunks you met in a chippy at 2am on a wednesday night? GET A GRIP.

I agree, It's a rather ambiguous generalisation to throw all Irish women into the "unmannerdly pot", but you have to understand that it's just a specimen case in point.

Read between the lines of the OPs post if you can, he quite obviously is insinuating that these two girls are not the only ones of their type out there. He's using them as an example for his generalisation and I have to say I agree.

Although many Irish women are indeed quite well mannered, (so too are some Irish men), there is an increasing populus of Irish males and females who just lack entirely in the field of etiquette and decorum. Ireland as is, is already quite in informal culture compared to mainland Europe, but the level of the difference is becoming quite astounding! If I go back home to Ireland for a holiday from here in Germany, the difference in behaviour is very very notacible.

With a guy, both here in Germany and in Ireland; Interaction is similar enough albeit more formal at first introductions. With girls here however, theres alot more respect both ways. Guys here, yes are more polite, but so too are the Girls by a vast vast margin!

I know this counts for both men and women, but In my honest opinion....I notice a far larger difference in politness with girls than I do with guys.

So I agree, the behaviour of young women in Ireland is becoming egocentric and self-absorbed. Theres little consideration for guys feelings anymore..... (yes, surprise surprise...we have feelings)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Interesting article on the subject:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/1013/1223680465159.html
    PARENTS ARE growing increasingly concerned about the abusive and aggressive behaviour of their daughters, an analysis of calls to a parenting helpline has shown.

Last year, 20 per cent of the calls received by Parentline concerned abuse, and, where the abuse of a parent was involved, girls were the most culpable. In 52 per cent of those calls, the abuse was coming from a daughter - a rise of 6 per cent on 2006 figures.

The second most common call from parents concerned anger and aggression and again the behaviour of girls gave rise to the most calls. Some 51 per cent of calls about aggressive behaviour concerned girls.

Parentline chief executive Rita O'Reilly said problems with abusive children were not likely to be discussed with neighbours or friends, particularly if a daughter was being violent or aggressive. It was much easier to call a confidential helpline.

Anti-social behaviour would typically be associated with male teenagers, but last year girls accounted for 57 per cent of those calls.

Ms O'Reilly said troubled teenagers still accounted for the greatest number of calls to Parentline.

Last year, problems with children aged 13-18 accounted for more than 60 per cent of calls with 16-year-olds accounting for most calls.

The helpline received more than 6,000 calls last year from parents, grandparents, guardians, minders, concerned friends and siblings, health workers and doctors.

Volunteers have noticed an increasing number of calls about problems caused by marriage breakdown. Calls from people parenting alone rose from 28 per cent in 2006 to 34 per cent last year.

She said that marriage breakdown may not be given as the reason for the call, but it often emerged as the reason behind a problem such as challenging behaviour, unhappiness in school or bullying.

"Around Christmas last year, a remarkable number of calls we got were about issues such as custody, or childcare arrangements for the Christmas holidays."

In calls about child abuse, most calls - 41 per cent - were about verbal abuse, followed by emotional abuse. Concerns about sexual abuse accounted for 8 per cent of child abuse calls.

Ms O'Reilly also noted the continuing increase in the number of calls from men to the helpline, now accounting for more than 14 per cent of calls. "Men are more involved in parenting now. They are not asking how they can assist their wife with her parenting, they want to know what they can do."

Today marks the start of National Parents Week organised by Parentline and Nurofen. "The vast majority of parents are doing a really good job but like all jobs, they occasionally need support," Ms O'Reilly said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

In all fairness OP...If I was in a chipper some night after being out in a club and some whiney bitch asked me to "lower my tone" i would not be impressed!!
    And they way you would presume then that you would end up in a physical altercation..were you going to hit that girl cos she wouldnt lower her tone?? or were you just presuming that by " defending her corner" she was going to make a go for you?

Get over it...and yourself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

JaneyMc wrote: »
    I think that where ever you go, to whatever country, you will find people that lack basic manners.

Just to point out, this in my opinion is bullplop. manners in MOST other countries from all individuals draws no camparison to that in Ireland.

also, PASS THE POPCORN SMASHEY!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Just wait until the recession kicks in they lose their jobs and have no money to go out and get pissed. Great success! Isn't balance wonderful?

Keep telling you - bad times every now and again is a good thing!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 I_Love_Tomatoes

You said "Irish women have NO MANNERS", thats a bit sweeping isn't it?
    Some Irish women have no manners, especially when Drunk. would be a more appropriate title.

true true.... some of them have no manners. Just like some people in every country.

What is however unfortunate, is the inconceivably high proportion of them who have no manners that we blokes meet on your average night out... Funkycat is essentially saying what many of us blokes might chat about when reviewing our Saturday night escapades. Now don't get me wrong; I hate this irish-wimmin-bashing that goes on. But many a similar scene can be seen on any weekend night especially in Dublin. It's a bit sad really. Their kids will be F****D in the head and in many other ways if this is typical of the standards they are raised with. And God love their primary school teachers when they suggest that their behaviour might be wrong.

Again not singing our Irish-male praises or anything - far from it... It just tends to be something that I see quite often with a small but noticeable proportion our wimmin. Kind of unfortunate really... There just seems to be a clear "Eastenderisation-I-Know-Me-Bleedin-Rights" going on with a few of them. And it's these vociferous few that people will talk about in a generalising fashion.

Very unattractive.

Rant over. Exiting discussion.

Just to point out, this in my opinion is bullplop. manners in MOST other countries from all individuals draws no camparison to that in Ireland.

also, PASS THE POPCORN SMASHEY!:o

So you are saying that in most other countries you will have a hard time finding people that don't have manners?

Countries I have been to, where the locals have been rude to me without provocation:

Wales
    England
    France
    Thailand

I can kind of see what the op is saying, I know the type of girl she is speaking about, I've had dealings with the same type before. But as was said making a sweeping generalisation like that is uncalled for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

OP, reckon you should simply re-title your post to 'Drunk People Have No Manners'

I don't bother with the club scene in this country anymore because Irish people simply drink too much. It's just a case of running the odds. At least half of those drunks are going to be objectionable in some way. In fact a high percentage of drunks like to resort to violence when offended by your lack of amusement at their 'hilarious' antics. I no longer enjoy a night out in Dublin for many reasons. Most people seem to have one purpose - i.e. get completely twatted. And the loud, sh1te, repetitive music prevents any social contact other than leering or dancefloor fumbling. Then afterward there is the tension and imminent threat of danger involved in navigating your way home - drunk imbeciles wandering in your path, fights in Taxi rank queues, chip-shop comedians, etc etc

It's no wonder the Irish are stereotyped as a bunch of pissheads - the evidence is on the streets after midnight most of the week. Nothing will change until the pissheads that populate this country learn how to drink and learn how to have fun and socially engage without the need for an anesthetic. It's pathetic, most of the Irish would have to be dragged screaming and kicking from a pub to do anything remotely interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

JaneyMc wrote: »
    Countries I have been to, where the locals have been rude to me without provocation:

Wales
    England
    France
    Thailand
    I second France and raise you Spain, Norway and Australia.

Seriously, I'm the first in line to give out about Ireland where it's due but we seem to love bashing ourselves over the head about everything.

People, including women, are rude everywhere. The most rude and racist people I've ever met were in Norway, not Ireland. And if you want to go and see pissheads running around on the streets at 3am, I suggest you visit Oslo any time between now and Christmas. We are not the only ones with a drinking culture - far from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Now I have always supported equal treatment for all but for some reason, there's a growing sense of female superiority and male inferiority in Ireland. No matter where I go, be it work, the shops, public transport etc, some women are so "in your face" and always up to challenge males with covert and overt aggressive behaviour.

For instance, there's one woman in my office (at the bottom rung of the office ladder) and four males but she rules the roost, effectively does what she wants (comes in late, long lunches, hours on the phone to her friends etc) and slags everyone else off quite viciously. All my male colleagues are afraid to take her up on this. When I was given responsibility for her last year, I told her that she had to operate to the same practices as everyone else. She rounded on me with her foul language, and so I defended my corner and told her that she was not to shriek at me or use bad language. She then had the gall to run to my boss stating that I was bullying her. He told me to back off and when I said she was the one who was shouting and using foul language, he excused it because she "was a complex individual". She then went on to poison the waters about me with slanderous comments to the rest of the company (which I found out through friends) but when I went to Personnel to report this, the (female) personnel officer stated that it would be best if I didn't pursue this.

Now in everyday life, I'm sick of being pushed and shoved by women barging their way onto the Luas. Like if they'd only back off I'd have stood back and let them on ahead of me anyway (I'm the hold the door open for a woman type). But no, they have to act like they're the new prop forwards for the Irish rugby team. And if you give up a seat for them, they look at you as if you affronted them, never mind even mumble a thank you.

Yes I'd agree that women have become very bloody aggressive in their dealings with men for some reason, 1,000's of years of "oppression" perhaps. The constant slagging off of the male sex is nauseating. The number of times I've heard a woman slag off her "useless" husband is too much to count. If he's so useless, why don't they just feck off and see how they cope without him.

Oh and btw, I'm a happily married man with a brilliant wife and four fantastic kids (3 of whom are girls) that I adore so I have no axe to grind with the female sex. I just wish they didn't have their own axe to grind with the male side of the species.

I could take all of your anecdotes and swap it around to put a male in, no problem. Taxi drivers, bus drivers, motorists, bouncers, guys smoking outside bars, guys inside bars, everywhere. But it would never get generalised into a "why are all men so rude" discussion with my friends.

Can I ask why you put the word oppression in inverted commas?

taconnol wrote: »
    I could take all of your anecdotes and swap it around to put a male in, no problem. Taxi drivers, bus drivers, motorists, bouncers, guys smoking outside bars, guys inside bars, everywhere. But it would never get generalised into a "why are all men so rude" discussion with my friends.

Can I ask why you put the word oppression in inverted commas?

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If I may suggest a few alterations to the title:
    Irish women Some people have NO MANNERS
    Now these two "females" in question behind me were shrieking quite loudly in my ear and i polietely turned to them and asked them to lower their tone
    You didn't actually say "Could you lower your tone please?" I'd piss myself if someone addressed that phrase to me. You're 25, it's 2008 and those words are like something a 60-year-old schoolteacher in 1950 would have used.
    In your defence, screaming into people's ears is utterly grating. I would have smiled and said "Girls, could you keep it down a bit? Thanks."
    :confused: - Bit OTT, no? You think it means the country is "coming to" something? Ill-mannered people have always existed...
    I have seen men post in boards here before about the behaviour of irish women whilst out in clubs and when they reject the advances of another and tonight, i can clearly see why they are so upset.
    Because of a handful of girls... I see. Wait a minute: YOU'RE an Irish woman, yet you feel you have manners. So is it really accurate to say "Irish women [implying all Irish women] have no manners"...?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

*reads post*

*searches for 100ft barge pole*

*backs away cause he can't find it*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I think this thread proves a lack of manners on the ops part.

In a chip shop at 2 am you know people are going to be drunk, if the worst thing they are is loud i don't see a problem. They're only trying to enjoy themselves and not causing harm. How long were you there for? About 5 mins waiting for your food?

On the other hand creating a thread on an irish site, in the ladies lounge about how all of us irish wimmens are so rude and have no manners, that screams ignorance. Especially when you point out how well your parents have raised you making you the only polite woman in ireland. Congratulations, that royal horse you're on must be mighty high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

LolaDub wrote: »
    I think this thread proves a lack of manners on the ops part.

In a chip shop at 2 am you know people are going to be drunk, if the worst thing they are is loud i don't see a problem. They're only trying to enjoy themselves and not causing harm. How long were you there for? About 5 mins waiting for your food?

On the other hand creating a thread on an irish site, in the ladies lounge about how all of us irish wimmens are so rude and have no manners, that screams ignorance. Especially when you point out how well your parents have raised you making you the only polite woman in ireland. Congratulations, that royal horse you're on must be mighty high
    Good post Lola - although I have to say I don't disbelieve the OP when she says the girls in question were obnoxious and loud. Unfortunately not all drunken behaviour is funny and endearing, it can be quite aggressive and in-your-face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sumire

Saying 'Irish women have NO MANNERS' is just looking for a row isn't it?
    I'd be annoyed at those girls in the chipper too, but face it, there's a lot of people (men & women) who drink too much & act like obnoxious idiots and unfortunately you either have to ignore it or not go to the chipper at 3am.
    I would agree though that in general women do seem to be less mannerly than they used to be, even 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Dudess wrote: »
    Good post Lola - although I have to say I don't disbelieve the OP when she says the girls in question were obnoxious and loud. Unfortunately not all drunken behaviour is funny and endearing, it can be quite aggressive and in-your-face.

Thanks dudess!

From the post all i got was they were drunk and loud. I know that a situation that makes people uncomfortable but you know you'll be confronted with that in a chipper at 2am. If they're not aggressive or engaging you in any way why would you bother speaking to them? You know you're going to get their attention and it sounds like the op is quite offended that the girls were talking about her. Drunken behaviour is what it is-different for everyone. Some things might be funny to you when you're drunk and annoying to others. I'm sure we're all guilty of annoying someone when we're drunkn on at least one occasion.

I cannot see how two drunk girls in a chipper who the op approached can justify all irish women, bar the well raised op having no manners.

Advertisement