Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback requested "...bitch..."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Not offended and think it was quite obvious that the title was ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

If people are offended by stuff like that then AH is not the place for them quite frankly

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If people are offended by stuff like that then AH is not the place for them quite frankly

One of the arguments so far has been that the thread title appears on the front page, and is seen by those who would otherwise ignore the thread and AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I suppose some older lady members may be a bit put out by it. Although i never like any lady being addressed as a bitch, in the context of the post i think it is reasonable if a little crude.

But i think Karoma wont pay any heed of my opinion in light of my comments regarding a certain train trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

This really is a non-issue, it's After Hours ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I'm not offended by it,and see it as a joke. But if people are offended i can understand why. Its hard to decide whats allowed in AH i guess,i try to steer clear of it,because some of the responses there annoy me,and i wouldn't bother reporting them,due to the type of attitude displayed by ghost in the ruins. Screw that,telling people they should keep out of Ah discussions if they don't like those types of responses is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I didn't find it offensive. Title is a bit tongue in cheek IMO.

No offense intended.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I don't post in AH but i do browse when bored. The thread prob isn't offensive to regular posters but i think the OP went for a shock value title. That said the use of bitch in such fashion would probably result in a ban on any other fora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The interwebs burnses meh eyes!

It's a harmless and humorous title in the context. Some folk are just looking to be offended, imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Wow and the this thread title is not skewing the debate or feed back ?
    grow up.
    and there you were laughing at me saying that people don't report posts in AH due to the attitude of the mods, thank you for such a prime example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If the thread title had bastard in it, I'd doubt anyone would have complained.

For example I don't remember anyone complaining about the use of the word bastard in these threads.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055386291&highlight=bastard
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055381921&highlight=bastard

Used in a similar way to the way bitch was used on that thread yet no-one deemed it offensive. Double standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think Kevin Myers might have a story to tell you about a similar situation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

For example I don't remember anyone complaining about the use of the word bastard in these threads.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055386291&highlight=bastard
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055381921&highlight=bastard

Used in a similar way to the way bitch was used on that thread yet no-one deemed it offensive. Double standards.

:confused: again? If people don't report and complain, whats ve point bringing it up. Guys weren't offended,or didn't bring it up. But when someone is offended,how can you use 'well this didn't offend,double standards etc' as an excuse? :confused:

Diffference in thread title and thread content.

AlmightyCushion the context of those two threads are completely different to the one that this thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

If the thread title was in the animals and pet issues forum it wouldn't raise a hair. It is the title, subject and content together that makes it offensive to those offended. This means that they read some portion of the thread before reporting it. It is one of those occasions when a book should have been judged by its cover. I don't watch medical programs on tv because I don't find someone having their bits torn open entertaining....I am also a pussy. So any shows that fall into that category stay off my telly.....and I don't feel the need to complain that that I puked in my dinner at the sight of someone having fat sucked out of their stomach. I also don't watch Americas Next Top Model....but that's because it's dung.

Karoma wrote: »
    One of the arguments so far has been that the thread title appears on the front page, and is seen by those who would otherwise ignore the thread and AH.

There was a thread in AH recently entitled "Would you travel to peru to eat pussy". This was on the front page also.

A title like this could also offend someone not familiar with AH.

Any complaints about this? Or are people picking and choosing what they complain about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

So "bitch" is a bad word again? Good to be back in primary school.

The title on its own could be seen as offensive. However, given the context of the thread and the forum itself, you can see the OP was going for humour, albeit a little crude.

"YORE MA" could be seen as offensive too, but are there many reported posts about that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nerin wrote: »
    :confused: again? If people don't report and complain, whats ve point bringing it up. Guys weren't offended,or didn't bring it up. But when someone is offended,how can you use 'well this didn't offend,double standards etc' as an excuse? :confused:

Karoma isn't asking about offensiveness. He's asking about where we should draw the line with regards to language used. Bastard is pretty similar a word to bitch, yet the same people who don't like the use of the word bitch don't protest the use of the word bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Wow! 19 posts and no "political correctness gone mad" comments!

nummnutts wrote: »
    There was a thread in AH recently entitled "Would you travel to peru to eat pussy". This was on the front page also.

A title like this could also offend someone not familiar with AH.

Wow AH poster who can't tell the difference between bawdy humour with a double entendre and offensive and degoratory statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

Sorry i'm new to all this, but i was under the impression that After Hours was supposed to be tongue in cheek and not really meant for serious discussions.

As far as i can see if it's not taken seriously then it shouldnt be construed as offensive. It's not as if the guy who started this was being misogynistic, or trying to offend the fairer sex,

Storm in a teacup,

Karoma isn't asking about offensiveness. He's asking about where we should draw the line with regards to language used. Bastard is pretty similar a word to bitch, yet the same people who don't like the use of the word bitch don't protest the use of the word bastard.

You are stripping the context and connotation of the phrase by trying to make it a simple matter of bitch vs bastard.

It is the use of the term bitch in the context of the thread title which is derogatory.

Wow AH poster who can't tell the difference between bawdy humour with a double entendre and offensive and degoratory statement.

Before you go jumping to conclusions there, if you understood my post correctly, you'd see that yes I am an Ah poster. I get the joke. But regarding the argument about this thread title appearing on the front page, people who don't read AH might not get your little double entendre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

If people are offended by stuff like that then THE INTERNET is not the place for them quite frankly

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Fixed your post.

Dead on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Don't you just love the Politically-Correct Patrol...
    You're dammed if you do, and if you don't, then your not informing people of important sexual health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Dudess wrote: »
    Wow! 19 posts and no "political correctness gone mad" comments!
    OMG! You're so disable-ist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Stop linking threads and titles from threads from AH on the main page then ?
    You have to protect your business (boards.ie) and understand that there may well be some people who use the boards that would take offense at the thread title, without even reading the content.

I don't find the words nor the content offensive but I would understand how some others might, especially those that never ventured into AH before or those that might have a reserved or conservative view on this type of thing.

Thread could equally have been about female dogs though I know it wasn't but still. Seen plenty of other comments (mostly from trolls) in threads within AH that I have taken offense at. The word "bitch" is extremely mild when compared.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You are stripping the context and connotation of the phrase by trying to make it a simple matter of bitch vs bastard.

It is the use of the term bitch in the context of the thread title which is derogatory.
    Well as I have said numerous times before when things like this arise, if someone was to refer to men as bastards/cúnts/whatever I wouldn't remove it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Could also change the word "bitch" to "fag" and the contents of the story within to refer to gays instead of women - bet you wouldn't get as many complaints then.

Or maybe you would...

I dunno :o

Advertisement