Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Heating Oil - buy now or wait?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,833 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Unfortunately you're posting in the North West forum - might be better to try the Dublin forum.

In any vent you could try Lucan Oil on (01)6219545 or North City Oil on (01)6281547. A quick glance through the yellow/golden pages will get you a few extra numbers and if all else fails try the shops/garage forecourts for the 25l drums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

:rolleyes: LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

If it hasn't been posted before, home heating oil prices will rise in May this year as part of the Carbon Tax stated in Decembers budget. So there's a few months left, but I wouldn't leave it until the last few days because I'm sure there will be a mad rush from everybody to fill up before it rises.
    Best to do it a few weeks before.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joctcl

I work in an industry depedant on oil and track crude pricing.
    In spite of global recession oil is unusually high and going to soften in the coming months

"There are some concerns about demand recovery as reflected in the equity markets and the big supply overhang especially in the US indicates that the outlook for the crude markets is a bit weak."

My recommendation would be to go for it in late March early April. The cynic in me says the Irish distribution network will crank prices in April in anticipation of the demand.

I have a 2,000 litre tank at home, when I first moved in in 2000 it cost €700 at the height of the oil price 2 years ago €2,500, last year 1,400.
    My advice is if you have a standard 1000 litre tank fill 500 rather than a thousand at a time and wear a wooly jumper!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Got €300(500ltrs) of oil in November and ordered another €300 today and was told that the price for 500ltrs was down to €280.
    This was McDermott oils in Letterkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭sthealy

It's that time of the year again - would be good if we can share quotes again. I was quoted 66c a litre per 1000L last week. Any recent experiences or views on where oil prices are going? Thanks, S

nobody in the market for oil?!

I'll be in the market for it within a couple of months and I'll post up any prices I get then.

Cheers Muffler, I'll do the same...

Not too sure as to the accuracy of or how up to date they are but the following to price comparison sites are always worth a visit.

www.boilerjuice.ie

www.cheapestoil.ie

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I just paid €400 for 600 litres of kerosene with Stewards Oil in Boyle. Works out around 66.5c per litre... A far cry from the 41c I paid in March 2009 - ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I paid today €250 for 315 litres, works out at .79 per litre:eek: (.69 before vat)
    Jones Oil Kilkenny

Got 785 litres today and it worked out at 66.5c/litre or 665 per 1000 litres. They quoted me €685 for the 1000 litres but I did a wee bit of haggling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,099 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have to buy some oil in the next couple of days and the prices are just shocking at the minute - damn you Gaddafi !!

€425 for 500lit. I am tempted to buy 1000l in case it gets any worse, but wouldnt have that sort of money readily available at the minute, plus with us coming into the summer I am thinking that maybe get 500lit and hope the price falls towards the summertime?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Have to buy some oil in the next couple of days and the prices are just shocking at the minute - damn you Gaddafi !!

€425 for 500lit. I am tempted to buy 1000l in case it gets any worse, but wouldnt have that sort of money readily available at the minute, plus with us coming into the summer I am thinking that maybe get 500lit and hope the price falls towards the summertime?
    I had enough oil to last another couple of months but I got the tank filled today as I think the prices will increase over the coming months. 706 litres cost me €600 exactly so that works out about the same price as yours.

500l today cost me €430. Disaster.

I have the same dilemma at the moment. To put it in perspective, I paid 41c per litre in March 2009 & 66.5c in November this year. Last week, I was quoted 87c...!

The higher prices is certainly being driven by the Libyan crisis at the moment, and when the ceasefire was announced oil dropped €3 on the markets. It has since climbed back... I think however that this will be temporary (personal view) and as world demand reduces in the coming weeks, oil will hopefully come back in cost.

In the meantime, you can get a minimum delivery (ca. 250 litres) although you'll paid close to €1.00 for the privilege. Alternatively, light the fire and use electric oil heaters in the main rooms you use to get you over the next 4-6 weeks...

If your boiler is getting on in years, Calor Gas has a very attractive package for converting with grants available both from Calor (in the form of a discount) and from SEI.

Hope that's of some help....

On a slightly positive note, there is a local petrol station who actually dropped the price of their diesel yesterday. Yes you read that right, dropped:D

Only a couple of cents, but good all the same.

Advertisement