Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Heating Oil - buy now or wait?

Options
  • 15-10-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has an inside track as to where home heating oil prices - kerosene - is going? I'm thinking there is a little more to go. I recently got a quote of 0.67c per 1000 litres. In Jan of this year, I paid 0.65c per 1000. In 2007, I paid 0.60c.....

Any views?

Thanks,
    S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

if your cold i think its a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭sthealy

:D Thanks Jimmy, but I've still got a few more weeks of oil in the tank....!

Just wondering what others are thinking?????????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

I heard an economist talking on the radio the other morning and your question came up.His opinion was not to buy now.Leave it for 6 weeks or so and you'll see big savings.

Hmmm, that's a help - thanks. found this site with a 3 month price trend chart - may be of interest http://www.cheapestoil.ie/articles/trend.aspx

I think I have another month or so in the tank (weather dependant), then its back to price comparisons.

Also, has anyone noticed any offers (€20 off etc) ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ChaladhMor

sthealy wrote: »
    Hmmm, that's a help - thanks. found this site with a 3 month price trend chart - may be of interest http://www.cheapestoil.ie/articles/trend.aspx

I think I have another month or so in the tank (weather dependant), then its back to price comparisons.

Also, has anyone noticed any offers (€20 off etc) ??
    Hi

I need to order oil but does anyone know which supplier in Galway has the best price? I got a voucher from Esso Sweeney Oil with €50 off home heating oil in my letterbox and they appear to delivery in Galway but has anyone every used them? Are they reliable?

Also does anyone know is there is a way to check the oil in your tank without having to always dip the tank. I'm always running out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ChaladhMor wrote: »
    I need to order oil but does anyone know which supplier in Galway has the best price?
    Galway is that direction
    >>

€50 off is a nice incentive.... be sure to get a competitive quote as oil is still falling on the stock markets....

any other experiences/suggestions out there?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

ChaladhMor wrote: »
    Hi

I need to order oil but does anyone know which supplier in Galway has the best price? I got a voucher from Esso Sweeney Oil with €50 off home heating oil in my letterbox and they appear to delivery in Galway but has anyone every used them? Are they reliable?

Also does anyone know is there is a way to check the oil in your tank without having to always dip the tank. I'm always running out.
    I got vouchers from Sweeney Oil in Donegal also (buy it thru an agent, E&J I think). But it was 2 seperate €25 vouchers, for two seperate fills of oil. Minimum fill was 800l IIRC.

I'm getting quotes around the 0,62c per litre mark now....Since I paid 0,65c in January its not a bad price. Having said that, oil has fallen back to $70 a barrel now, so there may be more to go.....

Anyone get any better than that?

0,60 cent per litre quoted for a fill today....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

sthealy wrote: »
    0,60 cent per litre quoted for a fill today....

Got a price today of 59c a litre for 1000 litres. Had to haggle, but not too much before he buckled. Hold off for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 risk

after a bit of haggling got corrib oil down from €320 to €300 for 500l.

59c (above) is the best so far. I'm still getting quotes around the 60c mark. Anyone else broken the 60c "barrier" ????

who did you get that price from arra?

Bastards :mad:.

74c/litre when I bought it just over a month ago

ouch! at least you didnt buy it at 92c during the summer muffler!!

Yeah, I suppose it could have been worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

€310 for 500l yesterday in Letterkenny. Cheaper than it was last winter or the winter before.

Good price. Its been a while since it was last going at €600 per 1000L.

Just a wee bump on this. I dont need heating oil obviously but it would be nice if anyone could post up what the kerosene or whatever is priced at this week.

• Advertisement

It seems to be levelling out around the 0,60c mark. I hear that some distributors are running low or out of stock as they are hedging their own purchases. I've ordered today at 60c ......

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

just ordered my own today from www.emo.ie

Fuel KERO
    No. Of Litres 1000

Online Payment Cost
    Cost Per Litre 51.99 cents
    Cost Per Litre + VAT 59.01 cents
    Total inc. VAT 590.19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Check boilerjuice for prices.

Squiggle wrote: »
    Check boilerjuice for prices.

€620 on that site

Quantity: 1000 litres of Kerosene (paraffin)
    Price: 54.63 cents/litre
    Subtotal: 546.30 EUR
    VAT @ 13.50%: 73.75 EUR
    Total: 620.05 EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tdavfc

ON Boilerjuice in Louth its 51 cent... Looks like it could still go down more..

Price: 51.54 cents/litre
    Subtotal: 515.40 EUR
    VAT @ 13.50%: 69.58 EUR
    Total: 584.98 EUR
    Delivery info: Estimated delivery time to your region is 1 to 2 working days.
    Please note this price includes delivery.

Quantity: 500 litres of Kerosene (paraffin)
    Price: 52.86 cents/litre
    Subtotal: 264.30 EUR
    VAT @ 13.50%: 35.68 EUR
    Total: 299.98 EUR

tdavfc wrote: »
    ON Boilerjuice in Louth its 51 cent... Looks like it could still go down more..

Price: 51.54 cents/litre
    Subtotal: 515.40 EUR
    VAT @ 13.50%: 69.58 EUR
    Total: 584.98 EUR

Quantity: 500 litres of Kerosene (paraffin)
    Price: 52.86 cents/litre
    Subtotal: 264.30 EUR
    VAT @ 13.50%: 35.68 EUR
    Total: 299.98 EUR

now getting the same on that site, maybe they just update prices every so often or after this thread yesterday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I only discovered boilerjuice recently on the web. I have no idea how many suppliers they have signed up for in any particular area but at least it's another quote and the bottom line for me is the only way to ensure that you are not being screwed is to check as many prices as you can. I haven't used them yet but I will if they have the best price.

Would agree with checking a few before buying (the websites are handy) but also just before you buy, as I just had a look at emo again and its dropped again from yesterday. Boilerjuice is same as earlier, probably not their time to update yet.

This info could be useful when waiting until the price bottoms out, then when the price rises on one website buy on the other.

Also just noticed this is thread in the North West, i'm in dublin :):o, it was the thread title that caught my attention when searching. But it appears the prices on the websites anyway are the same across the country if they deliver there.

Fuel KERO
    No. Of Litres 1000
    Online Payment Cost
    Cost Per Litre 49.98 cents
    Cost Per Litre + VAT 56.73 cents
    Total inc. VAT 567.47

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Paid 560 euro per 1000 liters last friday in Buncrana from McGonigles oil, my tank was all but empty and 600 euro left it filled to the brim:D...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

texoil--550euro per 1000l
    285euro per 500l

Advertisement