Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis, yuk.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Good God, there is some amount of trip being spouted in this thread:

Toyota, most reliable, best built cars in the world, end of....
    Vectra better than Avensis...
    Avensis owners with low testosterone levels resulting in poor health...
    Toyota owners having low standards...

Maybe us motors forum posters have low standards and are just as easily pleased when we lower ourselves with these type of comments...:rolleyes:

Puts on my flame retardant jacket and runs for cover...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Funny you should say that, the door slam sound is actually the only thing I like about it. But you are right, sit in one and there are zero surprise and delight features. Anyway, it is an old car at this stage and things have moved on. Car makers now know that people expect more, the question is whether Avensis 2 delivers, and judging by what I have seen so far, especially the interior shots, it does not.

Avensis 2 came out in 2003, we're moving on to Avensis 3 at this stage:p;):D!

Seriously though, I don't get the hysteria about the Avensis, it's a fine, if old car that has now been outclassed. The 02-07 Corolla was a lovely car too. The Auris on the other hand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

E92 wrote: »

I stand corrected. Third generation, that is grim news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Seriously though, I don't get the hysteria about the Avensis, it's a fine, if old car that has now been outclassed. The 02-07 Corolla was a lovely car too. The Auris on the other hand....

I'd agree. There's nothing specifically wrong with an Avensis, it doesn't do anything very badly.
    The Auris is Toyota's low point though.
    And I hate when people judge a car by the sound a door makes. Would you do that with your house too? "Hang on there, before we sign the deeds I want to hear the front door shut..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Do ye think its fair to say that, in general toyota dealers have it among the worst at the current time?? They have absolutely MASSIVE numbers of say, up to 4 year old avensis' as well as corolla's.These, coupled with absurd numbers of 08 hire-drives.This should give you an idea of just how much.All this used stock, coupled with the poor market situation, and the imminent lanch of a new avensis, after which no-one will want those hire-drives, makes me wonder if we'll see a few big dealers go??

Looking at those staggering hire-drive figures, though.Opel with over 3000 and Nissan with over 2300!!!No wonder why the tiida has such high sales figures:rolleyes::rolleyes:.They'll never sell!!

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    And I hate when people judge a car by the sound a door makes. "

I am not judging it by that, I'm judging it by everything else being so mediocre, the door slam is a redeeming feature. The door slam is like putting 'lipstick on a pig' as the current saying goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'd agree. There's nothing specifically wrong with an Avensis, it doesn't do anything very badly.

Like most cars, you have to get the right version.

The Aura/Strata spec feels cheap and tacky inside. The 1.6 I'd imiagine is tepid performance wise.

The Luna and higher spec models feel nice and upmarket, with the aluminium look centre console and the titanium effect trim strips.

The 1.8 VVT-i lacks torque and in general is weak at low revs(in fairness most petrols are gutless at low revs) but is perfectly ok for a 4 cylinder engine, it is smooth enough and sounds perfectly ok for a 4 cylinder family saloon, and in true Japanese style, delivers plenty of performance when it is given plenty of revs.

The 2.0 D-4D is remarkably good for a 126 bhp diesel, quiet by diesel standards and as I've subsequently found out, with a relatively good power band too. The diesel has proper hydraulic power steering as well compared to the less good electric power steering that the 1.6 and 1.8 petrols have.

What I don't like about Toyotas is the fact that they have this uncanny ability to remove any desirability out of their cars, it wasn't always this way when they had the Celica, MR-2 and especially the Supra, there's no feel good factor, there's nothing in them that makes you say "I want one" the way a Ford does because of the way a Ford drives though. And the fact that a lot of Irish people think they really are "the best built cars in the world" of course.

Like most cars, you have to get the right version.

The Aura/Strata spec feels cheap and tacky inside. The 1.6 I'd imiagine is tepid performance wise.

The Luna and higher spec models feel nice and upmarket, with the aluminium look centre console and the titanium effect trim strips.

The 1.8 VVT-i lacks torque and in general is weak at low revs(in fairness most petrols are gutless at low revs) but is perfectly ok for a 4 cylinder engine, it is smooth enough and sounds perfectly ok for a 4 cylinder family saloon, and in true Japanese style, delivers plenty of performance when it is given plenty of revs.

The 2.0 D-4D is remarkably good for a 126 bhp diesel, quiet by diesel standards and as I've subsequently found out, with a relatively good power band too. The diesel has proper hydraulic power steering as well compared to the less good electric power steering that the 1.6 and 1.8 petrols have.

What I don't like about Toyotas is the fact that they have this uncanny ability to remove any desirability out of their cars, it wasn't always this way when they had the Celica, MR-2 and especially the Supra, there's no feel good factor, there's nothing in them that makes you say "I want one" the way a Ford does because of the way a Ford drives though. And the fact that a lot of Irish people think they really are "the best built cars in the world" of course.
    Looks suspiciously like a balanced Avensis arguement - it has no place on this thread! Burn you at the stake! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

That should clarify things

Actually no, you have just added even more generalities without no substantive argument. It is your opinion (which you are entitled to) but as useful information it is meaningless...

(now I'm heading out of my 3bed semi-d to start the avensis and head to lidl for dinner....)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The Auris is Toyota's low point though.
    And I hate when people judge a car by the sound a door makes. Would you do that with your house too? "Hang on there, before we sign the deeds I want to hear the front door shut..."

It only matters when it sounds bad;)

• Advertisement

kyote00 wrote: »
    Actually no, you have just added even more generalities without no substantive argument. It is your opinion (which you are entitled to) but as useful information it is meaningless...

(now I'm heading out of my 3bed semi-d to start the avensis and head to lidl for dinner....)

Ahh Kyote, you are too easy!

Look into your heart of hearts, if you mentioned to a friend that you needed a mid size family saloon, and he won the lotto and presented you with an Avensis as a surprise gift, don't you think you would be secretly disappointed?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

I have a 2003 Avensis and i like it, theres nothing overwelming about it i'll admit but at the end of the day its a safe reliable family car that i know will start every morning and it gets me from A to B with no fuss whatsoever. Mine is the 1.6 Strata, under powered, yes but in this day and age what can you do with a high powered motor, blast up to 60kph or if your lucky get up to 120kph on the Naas,won't say M50 as average speed is about 20kph there. I spend my time travelling to work like everyone else on the Naas, plodding along at 100kph, no need for blistering overtaking or taking off like Schumacker. I've had 5 years driving ol' reliable and not a thing gone wrong.Can't complain about that.

jaybee747 wrote: »
    I have a 2003 Avensis and i like it, theres nothing overwelming about it i'll admit but at the end of the day its a safe reliable family car that i know will start every morning and it gets me from A to B with no fuss whatsoever. Mine is the 1.6 Strata, under powered, yes but in this day and age what can you do with a high powered motor, blast up to 60kph or if your lucky get up to 120kph on the Naas,won't say M50 as average speed is about 20kph there. I spend my time travelling to work like everyone else on the Naas, plodding along at 100kph, no need for blistering overtaking or taking off like Schumacker. I've had 5 years driving ol' reliable and not a thing gone wrong.Can't complain about that.

Not everyone lives in Dublin though, so we like to have something more than a 1.6 out here in the shticks.

Not everyone lives in Dublin though, so we like to have something more than a 1.6 out here in the shticks.

Nothing like being able to overtake safely....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

jaybee747 wrote: »
    I've had 5 years driving ol' reliable and not a thing gone wrong.Can't complain about that.
    I wonder how many fellow motorists can boast the same feat?

Savman wrote: »

As I'd lay on my deathbed, I'd think fondly of the times I saved a marginal sum on car repair...

I say this always- if you're thinking of buying a Toyota- buy a Honda.

what has this got to do with whether the Avensis is any good or not ?

Ahh Kyote, you are too easy!

Look into your heart of hearts, if you mentioned to a friend that you needed a mid size family saloon, and he won the lotto and presented you with an Avensis as a surprise gift, don't you think you would be secretly disappointed?

what has this got to do with whether the Avensis is any good or not ?

All things considered it's a p*ss poor car overall, and it's only bought by people who nothing about cars but think reliability is the only thing to consider when chosing a new motor. These people are their target market. The car itself has no refinement and it's an expendible piece of utilitarian crap for people who couldn't care less.

What's not to like:D

all cars made in volume are "utilitarian" - i.e. designed to appeal to a segment of a mass market. As you know, cars are built on platforms , look basically the same, provide same options, engine types ....

I agree that most people buy cars as if it were a fridge - so cost, reliability and size are the key factors. People with money buy SMEG, the rest dont care once it works

Within a given class, there is very little difference between the three box shape, tuned in the wind tunnel, served up with petrol and diesel options, 2or3 suspension types, range of specs inside --- suddenly everyone thinks they are driving the ultimate driving machine....

there are exceptions, perhaps, the Mazda Rx-8 (or 7), Renault Avantime --- but most of these unique designs bomb in the market and withdrawn in time...
    cantdecide wrote: »
    All things considered it's a p*ss poor car overall, and it's only bought by people who nothing about cars but think reliability is the only thing to consider when chosing a new motor. These people are their target market. The car itself has no refinement and it's an expendible piece of utilitarian crap for people who couldn't care less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Avensis is a fine car if your standards are low as in terms of a ''drivers car''.

But as a tool to be driven day in day out it's top notch.

I've driven most of the Avensis's segment of cars.

Vectra, Mondeo, Sonata, Passat, Primera.

Vectra i found to be too cramped and drivers instruments were cheap and tacky and a bit aukward to use, indicators anyone?

Mondeo i really like, lots of choices in terms of trim and engine. And a nice all rounder.

Sonata is a lovely driver prob the best value for money out of the lot of them, but you do feel like a cheap ass driving one.

Passat, was a drain to drive and not relaxing at all, mikey mouse button brake is just annoying.

Primera, less said the better.

I like the Avensis, (Mk II) nice driver nippy enough for city driving, styling could be a little better, and one BIG annoyance with it is no centre arm rest as standard.

But if ya wanna see the best of the rest consult link in sig.:)

• Advertisement

Almost sounds like a Clarkson sound byte, word for word.

There is a car out there for everyone. For those who want transport and don't see a car other than that entended purpose these type of cars tick all the right boxes, this is their target market and they give their customers what they want. Toyota are the biggest producer of cars on the planet simply because of that ethos whether you like their products or not.

Are some so called motor enthusiasts on this forum so smug and narrow minded that they look down their noses at anyone who does not share their train of though when choosing a car? Is it really a sin to own an A to B car or have we started believing our own hype around here?

If that is the highlight of being a car enthusiast then it is sad really.

all cars made in volume are "utilitarian" - i.e. designed to appeal to a segment of a mass market. As you know, cars are built on platforms , look basically the same, provide same options, engine types ....

I agree that most people buy cars as if it were a fridge - so cost, reliability and size are the key factors. People with money buy SMEG, the rest dont care once it works

Within a given class, there is very little difference between the three box shape, tuned in the wind tunnel, served up with petrol and diesel options, 2or3 suspension types, range of specs inside --- suddenly everyone thinks they are driving the ultimate driving machine....

there are exceptions, perhaps, the Mazda Rx-8 (or 7), Renault Avantime --- but most of these unique designs bomb in the market and withdrawn in time...

My current car is the best car I've ever had by a long way. It's big, fast, it's comfortable, refined it's got it all and it makes me feel like a millionaire as I waft along in the lap of luxury. It's worth about €4k.

If I was spending 7 or 8 times that, I think I'd do my homework. Any objective person would feel pretty foolish if they came home with an Avensis when they could have had a Passat except for their own prejudices.

LOL.

Anyone who thinks a Passat is in anyway less of a piece of utilitarian crap for people who couldn't care less needs to seriously consider having their VAG blinkers removed.

Passat is as plain and average as any Avensis but like most VWs gets more praise for it around these parts.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If that is the highlight of being a car enthusiast then it is sad really.

There are far far better highlights, me bucko:D

There are far far better highlights, me bucko:D

Hopefully not the Passat then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would advise all avensis lovers to drive their avensis to the showroom of a rival manufacturer. Look for a model of equal cost and then be surprized by the difference.
    They are crap.
    I experienced an avensis for a week or two and never again.

Here is my experience:
    Pick up the not very nice key
    Hear low quality sound from central locking opening.
    Shut door, not bad. Nicely deadened.
    Sit in, try to lower seat to reasonable position. No can do. toyota must think I need to see the front number plate from the driver seat
    Start car, high idle from the days of automatic choke greets me and it starts hitting me in the face with cold air and fan on max.
    I look around at heater controls etc..... oh my god, what crap materials and design.
    Drive off, 1.6 engine is a joke.
    Car ride is good but so isolated from the road. Steering lifeless and gear change very poor.
    Arrive home, I look at it from the outside, christ its ugly.
    I go to put some stuff in the boot, nearly take bootlid with me by accident as it seems to be made of recycled coke cans. The boot is also so badly sprung.
    Decide to check out the bonnet and engine bay, No gas strut to raise bonnet and no engine undertray either.
    I then drove it like the hire car it was for the time I had it and it proved quite heavy on petrol.
    So overall, its a heap with cost cutting evident everywhere. Now this would be ok if it was considerably cheaper than than the competition but its not so why buy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

The Rover 75 WAS the only desirable car in the Avensis class size/price.
    I have been in my mates avensis, and it was a dull dull place to be.

mickdw wrote: »
    I would advise all avensis lovers to drive their avensis to the showroom of a rival manufacturer. Look for a model of equal cost and then be surprized by the difference.
    They are crap.
    I experienced an avensis for a week or two and never again.

Here is my experience:
    Pick up the not very nice key
    Hear low quality sound from central locking opening.
    Shut door, not bad. Nicely deadened.
    Sit in, try to lower seat to reasonable position. No can do. toyota must think I need to see the front number plate from the driver seat
    Start car, high idle from the days of automatic choke greets me and it starts hitting me in the face with cold air and fan on max.
    I look around at heater controls etc..... oh my god, what crap materials and design.
    Drive off, 1.6 engine is a joke.
    Car ride is good but so isolated from the road. Steering lifeless and gear change very poor.
    Arrive home, I look at it from the outside, christ its ugly.
    I go to put some stuff in the boot, nearly take bootlid with me by accident as it seems to be made of recycled coke cans. The boot is also so badly sprung.
    Decide to check out the bonnet and engine bay, No gas strut to raise bonnet and no engine undertray either.
    I then drove it like the hire car it was for the time I had it and it proved quite heavy on petrol.
    So overall, its a heap with cost cutting evident everywhere. Now this would be ok if it was considerably cheaper than than the competition but its not so why buy it?

My experience, word for word, couldn't believe the high idle either. It feels like a Korean car of a generation ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

mcwhirter wrote: »
    The Rover 75 WAS the only desirable car in the Avensis class size/price.

Ya, cos it had a holder for your dentures and slippers :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Savman wrote: »

For crying out loud, I owned an 1996 Alfa 155 2.0 for 5 and a half years from new, and nothing ever went wrong. Stick some oil in it between services, and no trouble whatsoever.

And guess what: I had fun for 5 years!

I owned a Fiat Multipla for 7 years from new, and nothing went wrong with it bar pot-hole damage. For Avensis money, I got a super-practical and quirky interesting family car.

I'm driving a six year old Kangoo for the last couple of years: no issues.

All you Avensis drivers out there: really and truly, just because it's not a Toyota does not mean it will explode while you are driving it! No matter what your brother in law's mate down the pub said.

Advertisement