Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis, yuk.

Options
  • 15-10-2008 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

I have one of these for a few days, 2008 1.6. It's rare that I get in car and cannot appreciate something about it, but I am struggling with this thing, it is SOOOOO bland, the interior is grim, there is absolutely no feelgood factor to be had. The bootlid flies open and feels like it is made of tin, the plastics inside are nasty to the touch, the centre console promises all sorts of features that are not there (NAV anyone?), the steering is horribly light and the gearchange feels 10 years old already. On the upside the engine is smooth (but feeble) and the doors make a nice sound when you slam them.

I cannot believe this thing sells.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I won't hear of it. I hear they're the best built cars in the world:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sounds a bit like how I felt when I had a 08, and then a 07 Focus for a few days.

Interior felt cheap. plasticy, steering column/wheel is overloaded with stalks and buttons, and the doors felt like tinfoil. Plus the rear-view mirror is dangerously small I felt as visibilility was woeful.

Couldn't believe how they sell either. Was really happy to get my Passat back I can tell you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like how I felt when I had a 08, and then a 07 Focus for a few days.

I was really underwhelmed by that model Focus myself.
    Didn't have any feeling of quality inside. My 98 Ibiza felt better!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

I just bought an avensis and couldnt be happier,top notch car.Maybe you lot are just gay

• Registered Users Posts: 64,886 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Don't get upset, OP. It's just a fridge :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

I have one of these for a few days, 2008 1.6. It's rare that I get in car and cannot appreciate something about it, but I am struggling with this thing, it is SOOOOO bland, the interior is grim, there is absolutely no feelgood factor to be had. The bootlid flies open and feels like it is made of tin, the plastics inside are nasty to the touch, the centre console promises all sorts of features that are not there (NAV anyone?), the steering is horribly light and the gearchange feels 10 years old already. On the upside the engine is smooth (but feeble) and the doors make a nice sound when you slam them.

Did you get the car as a gift?
    I do not know why did you buy it/take it if it is so bland?
    1.6 engine for such a heavy car means the car is underpowered. As for the interior, you could have gone for a higher spect trim and would have gotten a nicer inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

groomek wrote: »
    I just bought an avensis and couldnt be happier

imagination. limited. very :D

groomek wrote: »
    I just bought an avensis and couldnt be happier,top notch car.Maybe you lot are just gay

Maybe we just have greater aspirations

Do me a favour and learn to drive properly unlike most ford and toyota drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

regedit wrote: »
    Did you get the car as a gift?
    I do not know why did you buy it/take it if it is so bland?

It's a replacement while my car is in the shop.

Groomek, you are joking right, how could anyone buy this heap when the competition is so good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Because irish people are so cheap, we get the crappy spec.

Try an Avensis 2.0 petrol with top spec, much nicer finish and more driveable.

All the "all cars are reliable now" stuff is nonsense, if you want reliability, go japanese, if you want soul, perhaps euro is still top of the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya i hired one for a week or so. Heap of crap they are. I think it sells because people just buy one toyota after another and never sit in, much less drive anything else.
    The boot lid really did make me laugh, its so lite.
    The interior is dull poor plastic. I found the chassis was just above fit for the crap 1.6 engine. Another thing, I felt like I was sitting on it rather than in it as the none adjustable seat was a joke.
    I found its ride comfortable alright but thats about it. I jumped out of avensis and striaght into a passat and although harder on the road, it was a better car in everyway.
    The avensis gear change is so long and rubbery that I was inclined to abuse it.
    Overall, SH1TE car.
    I dont understand toyotas use of poor plastics in their cars. The Landcruiser is quite good inside, Better than the cars.

To annoy me further, I was interested in buying a new lexus IS220d but when I sat in it, I had flashbacks to the f**king avensis, even the steering wheel buttons had same layout & function.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Couldnt agree more.I really cant see why they sell. From what i've seen of the new model too, Its more of the same thing.As for what someone was saying about getting a better spec one, the better specced ones feel exactly the same, except the "NAV" might actually mean there is sat nav:rolleyes:.The leather in the top spec ones is horrid too.

Sat into one of its new rivals there for the first time yesterday,. the new skoda superb.Twas a mid spec "ambition" version.I liked it even more than i though i would.Fabulous interior in terms of looks and quality.The space in the back was almost beyond belief too.Even in my seating position, and i'm over 6 foot, there really was limo space.Dont get me started about the boot either.The twindoor is a nice touch too.I know thats the one i'd have from that class

As for what someone else was saying about a 98 ibiza.I totally agree.My 99 1.0 still feels great, not a rattle in the thing.Put alloys on it yesterday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I really lament the fact that we get the sh*te here. The Camrys and Aurions you can get in Australia/USA are so much better built (Japan and Australia made), and are much better specced and engined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

mickdw wrote: »
    I dont understand toyotas use of poor plastics in their cars. The Landcruiser is quite good inside, Better than the cars.

The Avensis is made in England, the Land Cruiser, Japan.

Another thing, I felt like I was sitting on it rather than in it as the none adjustable seat was a joke.

Spot on, I thought the lever was bust, it feels like I'm sitting in a high chair. I resent having to feed the parking meter to keep her parked while at work, I'm hoping the will clamp it or better still take it away and crush it.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

drove a brand new one earlier this year also.

I can't think of a word to describe it - and that in itself says something. No wait, I've got one: UNDERWHELMING.

even my parents new sonata is like a go-kart by comparison...

Spread the word. Avensis is Sh1t! We wont convince the toyota lovers im sure.

We wont convince the toyota lovers im sure

Why would you want to:D

Well I would love to see people moving away from toyota in huge numbers. Maybe then they would build a nice quality car.

Oh yes, and the gearlever is made of some gross sticky rubber, I dread changing gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Let the public decide. See how the sales of the new Avensis will compare to Passats, Sonatas, etc. that ye have mentioned here. Maybe value for money and reliability comes into it for Irish customers. Maybe Irish customers don't want racing cars.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Let the public decide........Maybe Irish customers don't want racing cars.

Eh......we are the public ;)

Irish customers certainly dont want racing cars, but they could have a Mondeo/Accord/Passat instead of the Avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

See which will sell the most so.

finbarrk wrote: »
    See which will sell the most so.

Which sells the most does not answer the question as to which is the best. People have a tendency for buying crap cars, most people no nothing about cars and simply badge buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,143 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mr.David wrote: »
    Eh......we are the public ;)

Irish customers certainly dont want racing cars, but they could have a Mondeo/Accord/Passat instead of the Avensis.

But they already have that choice.

Avensis does exactly what it says on the tin. It does not pretend to be anything else. If you don't like or want one then don't buy one. It ticks alot of boxes for people. It is aimed at those who are more concerned about getting to their destination than the journey itself.

Similary people buy BMWs, VWs, etc for different reasons. Shall we ridcule them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Anyone who badmouths Toyota's build quality knows nothing about cars. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Mr.David wrote: »
    People have a tendency for buying crap cars, most people no nothing about cars and simply badge buy.

But everyone knows that anything other than a 1.6 Avensis will explode in a ball of flames every time you start it!

Toyota: The best-built non-exploding cars in the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,143 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anyone who badmouths Toyota's build quality knows nothing about cars. End of.

I had one or two but even I would not go that far. They don't build them as good as they used to.

bazz26 wrote: »

Similary people buy BMWs, VWs, etc for different reasons. Shall we ridcule them too?

Find me 1 comment where I have in any way ridiculed the Avensis!! Its a perfectly fine car, not my cup of tea but yes it does exactly what it says on the tin. Its reliable but uninspiring motoring. And thats fine I've no problem with that.

My point was simply that sales figures are not an accurate indication of which car is best!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Most people want nothing more than a car that goes from A to B and never goes wrong.

Toyota are devices that move people from A to B without going wrong, and as such they are the ideal choice for people with such disinterest and low expectations in cars.

Most Toyota owners never even bother test driving the competition, they just buy another "because I've always driven Toyota and shur why would I bother going for anything else".

"Shur they're great cars that never go wrong" don't you know:rolleyes:.

Advertisement