Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalu home projector €299, half-price

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭shnaek

I had been resisting, until I read the reviews here:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3564529&CatId=3145
    Then I cracked and bought it.
    Yes - impulse buy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭podge3

Mine has been dispatched :).

May have it by Friday after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

It is an impulse buy, but a fun one. You would have to be a serious snob to deny that it is well worth the misco price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Onikage wrote: »
    It is an impulse buy, but a fun one. You would have to be a serious snob to deny that it is well worth the misco price.

Are they new units or refurbished ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

podge3 wrote: »
    Mine has been dispatched :).

May have it by Friday after all.
    Dam mine is still being processed.

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    Dam mine is still being processed.
    What time did you order at?

I did mine at about 11.30 this morning.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Dispatched now! :D

Now on route to delivery branch so I might just get it by Friday.

It would bloody well want to for 30 F**king euro delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Hmm, I really don't think I'd go for that projector - it looks like a pig, I doubt if the sound is up to much, has no digital inputs and will be worthless in 6 month's time. Waste of money if you ask me.

I would advise going for a HD700X, just over €500, well worth it:http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/projectors/Optoma_HD700X.html. Plenty of info on avforums.com on cheap projectors, this scores very well (also it's big brother the HD65). It's on Amazon too if you have someone in the UK to ship it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Hmm, I really don't think I'd go for that projector - it looks like a pig, I doubt if the sound is up to much, has no digital inputs and will be worthless in 6 month's time. Waste of money if you ask me.

I would advise going for a HD700X, just over €500, well worth it:http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/projectors/Optoma_HD700X.html. Plenty of info on avforums.com on cheap projectors, this scores very well (also it's big brother the HD65). It's on Amazon too if you have someone in the UK to ship it to.

It has digital component input and takes input from 720p, 1080i..

It is a low spec'd projector compared to most but look at the price tbh.. I know I said above it may not be great but Ive been drawn in and I just bought one!

Your one for just over 500 is probably way better but in reality there is a huge difference between 500 and 150..

As for the sound.. most projectors don't even have that much.. and it has an audio out port so you can use your own speakers anyway..

This will be perfect for me I think as a cheap starter projector, just for showing pics, watching movies and maybe using the 360.

I just put the name into youtube and the projector actually dosen't look half bad with the 360 either..

The reviews in general are pretty positive.
    One of our own posters gave a review a while back,very positive.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055329517&highlight=infocus

• Advertisement

Don't forget you get a screen as well for the €150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Most people tend not to use projectors that much at home anyway, you need a fair bit of space for the screen and you need the lights out / curtains drawn, so unless your lucky enough to have a spare room its probably going to sit in cornor most of the time id say.

Id be suspicious of a projector that cheap, and big/blue, but for the price I guess its perfect for somebody who`ll use it the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Are they new units or refurbished ?

Most likely an ex-display model. Refurb models are usually marked as such.

Ok I only just saw now that this projector is not suitable to use with a laptop, as it does not have a VGA Connection

However you can use either S-Video, Component, or Composite Video

Which is best? I have to buy some cables now...

Ok I only just saw now that this projector is not suitable to use with a laptop, as it does not have a VGA Connection

You could use a laptop with tv out though.
    There are vga to s video adapters around but I'm not sure how well they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Just ordered one on misco.ie. Thanks for all your help guys!

It looks to have RGBHV connections so you could use this to connect your PC: http://www.sourcingmap.com/vga-rgbhv-converter-cable-p-10764.html?currency=GBP

Tbh I don't think there is any point connecting a computer to this.

It's only 640x480 and it would look terrible.
    For example take a look at this picture
    Thats from this review down the bottom of the page.
    That's the kind of text you would see if you connect this to a pc I'd imagine
    (although I could be wrong)

Im going to use this to watch videos fed from either a dvd player or my mp3 player (zen vision m 30gb with rca outputs).
    The other thing I was thinking of is getting an old xbox and setting up this projector as a (very cheap) media center. Install XBMC on the xbox, get a component cable to connect to projector (better than the standard connectors, hd output) and stream media from my pc..

And I may also try the 360 on it. I don't think il bother trying to connect the laptop.. although if I did want to s-video would definetly be the easiest way

Ok I only meant laptop for playing movies - divx etc. would that work ok?

How about a DVD player?

Ok I only meant laptop for playing movies - divx etc. would that work ok?

How about a DVD player?

Oh yeah, it would probably be fine ( again Im just guessing)
    I just mean it wouldn't be very suited to presentations or web browsing. While playing video I don't think it would be noticed.

Chances are your laptop has an s-video port? Most of em do.. definitely the easiest option.
    Id imagine a dvd player would work fine too.. you could again use an svideo cable for that (most dvd players have these) or somethng like this.

The review does state that the colour on it isn't great for movies (Shallow red's) but I don't think that would stop me using it for such..

• Advertisement

Redisle wrote: »
    Id imagine a dvd player would work fine too.. you could again use an svideo cable for that
    Better to use the component input if your player has component out.

Wohoo it just arrived! 48 hour delivery - not bad - but then for €30 it would want to!

Don't know what they are saying about "Box Shabby" its perfect! Looks great well impressed, I'll give it a go when i get home tonight and let you know. I just have to go and buy the right cable.

So aparently there is a mirror thing you can buy to project onto the ceiling for watching movies in bed! Anyone know where you can get this accessory, I can't find it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Wohoo it just arrived! 48 hour delivery - not bad - but then for €30 it would want to!

Don't know what they are saying about "Box Shabby" its perfect! Looks great well impressed, I'll give it a go when i get home tonight and let you know. I just have to go and buy the right cable.

So aparently there is a mirror thing you can buy to project onto the ceiling for watching movies in bed! Anyone know where you can get this accessory, I can't find it...
    I was under the impression that the mirror function was included !

lensman wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the mirror function was included !

I don't think so..
    And Christ, I just had a google for the mirror.. and it's close to £300 stg on most sites.... it's obviously more than just a plain mirror.. :eek::eek:

Here
    Here
    and
    Here

I don't think any of us will be spending twice the cost of the projector on an accessory...

All set up and running. Works great. Just watched a movie on a 100"+ screen, quality was impressive.

Because of the small resolution its kinda fizzy with windows, but for movies its perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

I don't think so..
    And Christ, I just had a google for the mirror.. and it's close to £300 stg on most sites.... it's obviously more than just a plain mirror.. :eek::eek:

Here
    Here
    and
    Here

I don't think any of us will be spending twice the cost of the projector on an accessory...

Its probably a cunning plan to make back the money they loose on selling 100 quid projectors.. ya know like ink cartridges.

All set up and running. Works great. Just watched a movie on a 100"+ screen, quality was impressive.

Because of the small resolution its kinda fizzy with windows, but for movies its perfect.

Sounds good! Did you use s-video after?

Btw, what kind of screen is it? I mean, was it a huge long package with a screen on a roller or is it some sort of fold up screen?

No sign of mine!

So much for ?30/48 hour delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭shnaek

Sounds good! Did you use s-video after?

Btw, what kind of screen is it? I mean, was it a huge long package with a screen on a roller or is it some sort of fold up screen?

A huge, long package. The screen is quite large, and must be attached to a wall. I haven't used the projector yet. It just arrived this morning. I thought it'd have the mirror too, but it doesn't. Still, at 150 I'm not complaining. :pac:

• Advertisement

Yes I used S-Video. quality is not good enough to use for windows etc, very diifcult to read text etc but good enough to locate a file and play it, its great for movies. Even my mate who is very experienced with these things was impressed by the quality - especially for the price.

Screen is a manual pull down that must be screwed into the wall. Looks good though, not sure of size. Checking prices for them, they are not cheap, I'd say its worth somewhere near €100. Might put it on ebay!

Advertisement