Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Broadband Roll Out

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trevor1973

Thankfully I missed your email before I got broadband or you would have had me worrying :) Indeed a lot of Belcarra people couldnt get broadband - it must have been dissapointing as hell, as most would have thought once a place get enabled everyone there gets it, not knowing about the 5km rule and other issues

I got a 3mb connection and on speedtest its 2.8 so I am very pleased. Got my Xbox but those Solwise Plugs dont work (do you have to install them to PC) I just plugged in but on the testing connection it stops saying mclu is wrong and other times it doesnt - just isnt working - I need to ring tech support, I had to bridge connections between my wireless laptop and LAN

Had to set my firewall on the router to low as it wouldnt let me install the new Xbox 360 Dashboard, spent ages trying and apparently loads of other eircom customers as well before i found the solution on these boards. When a game you buy has an update it also wont download unless firewall is low

Getting good speeds on Xbox Live. Is it true that as Spongebob says (he WOULD KNOW) the 7mb speed is hopeless for games due to ping or other issues? Anyone have 7mbs and play xbox live

Trevor

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

PS2, PS3, Xbox etc work best with dedicated IP assigned as DMZ, i.e. not firewalled at all. They don't have the security issues of Windows/OSX/Linux anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dude , plug in 2 solwises side by side , does a link light appear on both ( in addition to power after 10 secs or so) ?

now take one to the other side of the house, does a link light appear again ?

if yes to lonk lights then plug one network cable into netopia switch and the other network into the device at the far end, eg a pc or an xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trevor1973

Yes

On the test xbox live connection I am getting

Network Connected
    Internet Connected
    Xbox Live Testing or sometimes Xbox Live Failed

sometimes it says Your Network Doesnt Have A Sufficient MTU
    nine times out ten that never appears

other times i get your console can connect to xbox live but your router or gateway isnt properly responding to ICMP response (a very rare message)

or Your Console Is Connected to the Internet but cant connect to Xbox live - turn your router or modem off and back on and wait 30 seconds

Or your console is connected to the internet but cant connect to Xbox Live
    Youir router or ISP is blocking access to Xbox Live
    Go to your router page and make sure port 3074 is openon your firewall. If it is open it may be bkocked outside your home network. Contact your ISP

all 3 green lights are on plug

while its doing this step XBOX LIVE STATUS says underneath
    Xbox Live is up and running

It connected once or twice but that was when i didnt realise i had to have the firewall to low and it stopped downloading update
    I have had to resort to bridging connection between laptop getting a wireless signal and an enthernet cable

Its annoying having to have your laptop on all the time while you want to play the xbox
    I may have to resort to wifi gizmo from microsoft but thats dear, hope Solwise Tech Support can help

IM BAFFLED

Trevor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Like Watty said, your isp could be blocking ports required by Xbox Live and you should try adding the Xbox's ip to your routers DMZ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not the ISP, the Firewall.

If an ISP blocks a port (usually only 139), which is rare you can't do anything about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

google

portforwarding netopia xbox live

which will tell you how to forward certain data straight in to your xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Guys, can we keep this on topic please. Trevor, you'll get better/quicker help in a forum like Nets & Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

trevor1973 wrote: »
    CHEERS for the Xbox live information - very nice of you to let me know about that

What speed broadband are you on? and what ISP

I hope Eircom does the job for gaming - I ordered the 3mb but people have said I may get 1mb only - and I was hoping to upgrade to 7 when I got it

What ISP would you recommend for gaming - I checked Smart but they dont offer it to Belcarra but Perlico do

I ordered the Solwise Plug

As an Xbox Live Gamer are there any extras you suggest getting - cam, wireless speaker etc - I bought the Pro from Smyths
    £300 extra wireless controller, Halo 3 Gears Of War Forza Motorsport Project Gotham 4 (Indiana Jones Lego and Kung Fu Panda :)

But I got Pro Evo, Fifa 09, Tiger Woods, Table Tennis, Fight Night 3 and Top Spin 3 as wel. Mostly prefer sports games

There seems to be some really good war games - like Gears Of War 2 etc - what games do you recommend

Trevor

re: isp prividers
    You could try Vodafone: they have a 7mg package which has just been upgraded to 800k upload if u have a vodafone mobile they will give 20% disc on monthly fee .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

No need to drag up a year-old thread!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement