Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Broadband Roll Out

Options
  • 14-10-2008 4:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

In April 2007 my exchange was one of those 319 eventually listed to be rolled out. I currently use an 02 USB modem (VARIABLE SPPEDS), but want true broadband as at Xmas I want to get an Xbox 360 and use Xbox Live (as well as paying cheaper) - and investing in an Internet Radio. I spoke with a top person in Eircom and they said my exchange will be enabled end of December

Do you think they will finally fulfill on this promise? There were people in Mayo promised broadband by a certain timescale before but Eircom failed to deliver

T

Comments

trevor1973 wrote: »
    In April 2007 my exchange was one of those 319 eventually listed to be rolled out. I currently use an 02 USB modem (VARIABLE SPPEDS), but want true broadband as at Xmas I want to get an Xbox 360 and use Xbox Live (as well as paying cheaper) - and investing in an Internet Radio. I spoke with a top person in Eircom and they said my exchange will be enabled end of December

Do you think they will finally fulfill on this promise? There were people in Mayo promised broadband by a certain timescale before but Eircom failed to deliver

T

surely digiweb is available in your area? i have been on their 6meg service (36.99 a month) since june and i cant fault it. never had a problem with xbox live even over a wirelass bridge. you will freakin love xbox live, i recommend GTA4 for team deathmatch and weapons races- pure MAYHEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trevor1973

6megs , a dream, lived in London and had superfast broadband
    You must have an eircom exchange to be enabled

When I got to Ireland I had a nightmare

1 tried every satellite company going, charging thousand or more for a dish - thought Digiweb would be the answer, NO, just rang after you recommended them, guy said its only Sat they offer and its expensive and only offers 512 http://www.digiweb.ie/home/satellite/

2 then tried westnet.ie, wireless for Mayo, trees blocked line of sight, i think a new transmitter covers us - dear tho, 512mb, £200 to install and £35 a month

3 i ordered the £300 pound plus to install, limits on usage - Eircom Satelite Broadband, they took my order, waited weeks and then they said 'oh, we dont do it any more

4 finally got 02 usb 3G modem - get decent speeds at night but still average only around 300+ and have only one bar on HSDPA whereas 6 miles up the road when i was in hospital I got 5 bars - cant get meteor or vodafone 3g

If Eircom renege on their promise I will go westnet.ie. Sadly for the same price £35 they used to offer 512 to 1mg, now its only 512 but that should be enough for Xbox 360 according to what i read below

If you're on a dial-up, ISDN or satellite internet connection, then forget it - Xbox Live is for high speed broadband connections through cable or DSL only. The minimum broadband speed Microsoft recommends is 256K for download and 64K for uploads - check with your service provider to confirm what your speeds are. These minimum speeds will get you a fairly lag free gaming experience, although faster connections will obviously mean a smoother experience at most times. A fast download speed is the most important spec, although if you plan on hosting your own online games sessions then having decent upload speed becomes vital as well.

Eircom BETTER deliver this December, less than 3 miles up the road have their exchange enabled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If Eircom renege on their promise I will go westnet.ie. Sadly for the same price £35 they used to offer 512 to 1mg, now its only 512 but that should be enough for Xbox 360 according to what i read below

Westnet offer 1Mbit burst, meaning You get 1Mbit for 30 seconds when You click a link, it pulls itself back towards 512k then. 512k upload is 4x what Eircom offer on their 1Mbit package & its faster and less contended (20:1) than Eircoms 1Mbit package (48:1) and as its wireless it has less latency, sub 20ms pings to www.boards.ie make ideal for gaming and VOIP.

Why do people expect that broadband can only come thru a fone line? Eircoms lines are absolute crap, best avoid them. My own ping has gone from 15ms to 70ms after Eircoms brilliant upgrades and I'm 200m from the exchange in a new estate, check the Broadband forum, there are a few threads a day of complaints about Eircom & the resellers after the upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Westnets 1Mbit burst connection is excellent for gaming. I use it with PS3 and PC all the time. I have an average ping of 20ms to speedtest.net's Galway server. Upload stays very near a constant 512k which is a lot more important for gaming than download speed.
    A higher download speed for the price would be welcomed however. I would even be happy paying slightly more for lets say a constant
    2Mbit/512k connection.

Appreciate your very informative responses. I was talking to Westnet today and they explained the 1mg burst - I didnt realise their contention and latency were so superior to Eircom either. I am content enough with the 02 USB modem but I am buying an XBOX 360 for Christmas and the machine would not be half as much fun without Xbox Live. Glad that you can get a good ping etc. Hopefully I should be able to get a signal this time as there is a new transmitter. How easy is it t set up Xbox Live on Westnet? Will a normal router suffice - does the xbox come with the equipment for Xbox Live to useit wirelessly or do you need a specific piece of kit

I spoke to the head of communications today and he didnt even know about our exchange being enabled - as before I had dealt with their head of PR and she has left the company. He said if she said it was end of Dec it probably would be enabled but then listed a litany of things that could stop it (typical eircom get out clause). I shall talk to the new PR lady tomorrow and find out. The exchange I am looking to get enabled is Belcarra in Mayo. Not so worried now thanks to the good responses about Westnet and may go with them now

Cheers

Trevor

• Advertisement

no you have to buy your own wireless bridge. i have been using two of these: http://www.solwise.com/net-powerline-pl-85pe.htm

they have worked brilliantly so far. they turn any electrical socket in your house into an internet point, perfect for xbox.

Thanks Buckfast for taking the time to post that information, its appreciated. I am so looking forward to Xbox Live. I have the original Xbox but never had the facility of Xbox Live and in the end my devotion to the console waned as I was missing out on all the fun

First games I plan on buying are Tiger Woods, PES, FIFA and a few others - i want a decent Tennis Game too, loved TopSpin on the original Xbox

Considered selling my xbox along with 14 games on ebay the other day but when i saw the prices people were getting and often zero bids I thought there was no point. I guess people want all the latest games consoles now, I managed to sell the original PS back in the day for a decent price on ebay - with only 2 games

Thanks again Buckfast

Why not put that Xbox to use, see here, Very easy to do

To those who may be on this exchange (Belcarra) I was told today it is on track to be enabled end of December. I am going to wait to see if it is indeed enabled - if not I'll be joining Westnet.

Trevor

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Trevor, Personally I would get WestNet over Eircom, I have used both and I found Westnet way superior.

I am not affiliated with WestNet but just very happy with their service (I would be happier with a 10MB line though ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

To those who may be on this exchange (Belcarra) I was told today it is on track to be enabled end of December. I am going to wait to see if it is indeed enabled - if not I'll be joining Westnet.

Trevor

According to the list that I have of exchanges to be done from Nov 08 to Sept 09, Belcarra isn't on it. It is on Spongebob's list (which is fairly comprehensive) as already been done though.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57807748&postcount=1

Someone in Eircom may be telling porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

According to the list I have Belcarra has been done.

However Ballyhean isn't done yet and so since it's pretty close to Belcarra perhaps you are on that exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

fergalfrog wrote: »
    According to the list I have Belcarra has been done.

However Ballyhean isn't done yet and so since it's pretty close to Belcarra perhaps you are on that exchange?

Ballyhean is due to be done by the end of December alright.

AMAZINGLY Belcarra is enabled. I couldnt believe it myself. I ordered the 3mb package but then thought Id get the 7mb exhange but have to wait to change from 3-7 when the orders fulfilled - but I suppose just because I can get broadband doesnt mean I can get the 7mb speed?

I just hope theres no hitch now with splitters or something or I think I would cry. I have waited SO LONG. Just bought an Xbox 360 today so hopefully will be able to use Xbox LIve

I am considering buying this - from solwise.ie

Its a Twin Pack 85Mb Homeplug Ethernet Adapter (http://www.solwise.ie/net-powerline.htm

Anyone have experience of it

Trevor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

works great !

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Ballyhean is due to be done by the end of December alright.

End of next week.

AMAZINGLY Belcarra is enabled. I couldnt believe it myself. I ordered the 3mb package but then thought Id get the 7mb exhange but have to wait to change from 3-7 when the orders fulfilled - but I suppose just because I can get broadband doesnt mean I can get the 7mb speed?

I doubt very much you will get anything better than 1MB at the moment and even if you can how close to the exchange are?
    Who did you order your BB off as you normally have to wait 15 working days to be set up with BB.

I ordered from Eircom
    It wont be done till the 22nd of Dec
    They said it was the last day to get orders fulfilled before Xmas
    2.5 miles from exchange
    Why are they advertising 3 and 7mb services if people cannot get them?

If Eircom cant give you a higher speed I guess no other ISP can
    What would prevent you getting only 1mb and not 3mb and if 3mb is not available is 1mb all you are going to get for good

Trevor

I just hope theres no hitch now with splitters or something or I think I would cry. I have waited SO LONG. Just bought an Xbox 360 today so hopefully will be able to use Xbox LIve

I am considering buying this - from solwise.ie

Its a Twin Pack 85Mb Homeplug Ethernet Adapter (http://www.solwise.ie/net-powerline.htm

Anyone have experience of it

Trevor

i have been using the solwise plugs for 6 months now and they haven't let me down once. also regarding xbox live gold membership heres a tip-dont pay the rip-off ireland price of 60 yoyos plus for a 12 month subcription. i paid 33 euros for a THIRTEEN month subscription on ebay. for example :

http://cgi.ebay.ie/XBOX-360-LIVE-12-1-MONTH-13-GOLD-SUBSCRIPTION-PAL-UK_W0QQitemZ250338171641QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN?hash=item250338171641&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308

HORSE it inta ya cynthia.:D

CHEERS for the Xbox live information - very nice of you to let me know about that

What speed broadband are you on? and what ISP

I hope Eircom does the job for gaming - I ordered the 3mb but people have said I may get 1mb only - and I was hoping to upgrade to 7 when I got it

What ISP would you recommend for gaming - I checked Smart but they dont offer it to Belcarra but Perlico do

I ordered the Solwise Plug

As an Xbox Live Gamer are there any extras you suggest getting - cam, wireless speaker etc - I bought the Pro from Smyths
    £300 extra wireless controller, Halo 3 Gears Of War Forza Motorsport Project Gotham 4 (Indiana Jones Lego and Kung Fu Panda :)

But I got Pro Evo, Fifa 09, Tiger Woods, Table Tennis, Fight Night 3 and Top Spin 3 as wel. Mostly prefer sports games

There seems to be some really good war games - like Gears Of War 2 etc - what games do you recommend

Trevor

• Advertisement

Why are they advertising 3 and 7mb services if people cannot get them?

They don't, they offer "upto 3 and 7mbit", if You order 7mbit and your line is only capable of 4, well then Your just wasting money.
    What would prevent you getting only 1mb and not 3mb and if 3mb is not available is 1mb all you are going to get for good

All depends on the quality of the copper in your line (which in Eircom's network can be terrible). Also copper isn't a very efficient method of delivering broadband, the longer the line the more it will loose, the 3mbit package will never get over 2.6mbit and will be less the longer it travels. There are also the overheads of the protocol used to deliver the broadband.
    2.5 miles from exchange

Phone lines don't travel in straight lines, the cable could be twice as long as it travels to Your house. You'll not get broadband at all if its 4-5miles.

the 7.6 will be crap and with guaranteed ****e pings at that distance. Take 3 and hope the pings are OK

Thanks Spongebob

Actually I am 2.5 miles from Belcarra, dnt know where the exhange is

The 3 would do - if I got 2.6 I'd be singing - do people on Eircom broadband generally do ok with gaming

I am on 02 Mobile now and get 400k average - good for surfing but wont suffice for gaming and can be a pain on You Tube when it slows down

Trevor

Frankly at that distance you may struggle with 3 but the pings will be much lower than with 7.6 ( the 7.6 is essentially crippled) and therefore you have some chance of FPS gaming .

If you are a serious gamer then Westnet could be a better bet .

Really want it for Tiger Woods, Pro evo, FIFA, Table Tennis etc - Top Spin

Not really into FPS

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Get a wireless network and TVersity too :D

Stream your media from your PC to your TV through the 360. Really easy to use and a free program too :D

You can even subscribe to RSS feeds of Videos and TVersity will pull them down and you can watch them on your 360 then so you can watch things like Youtube on it even though it doesn't have a web browser.

You can also hook an external hard drive up to 360 and play content from that but it has to be in the right format for 360. TVersity will change it to a format the 360 supports no the fly so you don't have to do any work :D

Also buy Orange Box for your 360 :D Its really cheap now and its the best game on it :D rent Mirrors Edge for a week and see if you like it.

Orange Box is worth it for Portal alone. I have it for Pc and 360. Its better on Pc but its still great on console :D

Also check out Forza 2 for a Gran Turismo style racing game with damage and everything else you might want from a racing game.

Friend has eircom without much problem with online. I had it in one house I was in for a few months and it was crap, cutting out once a week. The fixed wireless providers had significantly better ping times. Web pages take ages to load on 3Mbps eircom line that we had for whatever reason. I think it was DNS related more than anything else.

CHEERS for the Xbox live information - very nice of you to let me know about that

What speed broadband are you on? and what ISP

I hope Eircom does the job for gaming - I ordered the 3mb but people have said I may get 1mb only - and I was hoping to upgrade to 7 when I got it

What ISP would you recommend for gaming - I checked Smart but they dont offer it to Belcarra but Perlico do

I ordered the Solwise Plug

As an Xbox Live Gamer are there any extras you suggest getting - cam, wireless speaker etc - I bought the Pro from Smyths
    £300 extra wireless controller, Halo 3 Gears Of War Forza Motorsport Project Gotham 4 (Indiana Jones Lego and Kung Fu Panda :)

But I got Pro Evo, Fifa 09, Tiger Woods, Table Tennis, Fight Night 3 and Top Spin 3 as wel. Mostly prefer sports games

There seems to be some really good war games - like Gears Of War 2 etc - what games do you recommend

Trevor

im on digiweb 8meg however it rarely gets above 5 and a half. you can check your speed here:
    http://www.irishisptest.com/
    even at times when my speed has fallen below 3meg it has never affected online xbox gaming so you should be okay.

you do know that you need at least two solwise plugs to set up a network right?

personally i think most xbox accessories are a bit gimmicky. i gave up using the headset long ago, i'd had enough of listening to dumb american teens racially abusing eachother - BORING. the only accessories you need are two strong thumbs and a comfy chair.

I got the two Solwise Plugs

Thanks for the heads up on TVersity, downloading it now

Cheers

Trevor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm on Digiweb too. Never have any problems except with the cap. Anyway you should be find on the eircom connection for gaming, even the 1Mbps but you probably shouldn't host games on it if given the option.

I don't bother with any accessories, they are crap. The wireless adapter is good if you need it and can't use a wired connection.

• Advertisement

Thanks Spongebob

Actually I am 2.5 miles from Belcarra, dnt know where the exhange is

The 3 would do - if I got 2.6 I'd be singing - do people on Eircom broadband generally do ok with gaming

I am on 02 Mobile now and get 400k average - good for surfing but wont suffice for gaming and can be a pain on You Tube when it slows down

Trevor

Your exchange is almost opposite the road to Welshpool not too far past the church but on the opposite side of the road.
    The reality is you will get no better than IMB now or in the future from that exchange and the distance you live from.
    I presume you have checked your line for suitability for BB as not all lines in Belcarra are able to receive BB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement