Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Match RD 2** Tuesday,OCT 14 @22:00 in St Judes - Glenwood Rovers v Boardeaux

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Ah didn't realise Derek plays in the middle as well. But we'll win or lose the league in there this season. We have the players elsewhere no doubt but it all depends on how capable our midfield is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yeh some good points there lads, and Dave is spot on that strikers also get sucked deep to try get on the ball when the rest are sitting deep. That means most of our strikers’ possession last night was 40+ yards from goal. When you look at it, more often than not they were actually able to beat their man or play in a teammate behind their defence – problem was it was so far from goal the opposition could recover. If we’re all pushed up that possession happens on the edge of their box, yep it’s tighter there but our attackers have shown that given quality ball in that area they can do damage – it’s our job to push up and ensure they get that service.

I’ve always said we shouldn’t get too worried about a lad hanging behind our defence – we rarely ever concede from it as it needs a top quality ball for them to capitalise on and I firmly believe the positive effect of having the courage to step up to squeeze the crucial centre of the park and leave him in behind has a definite net benefit even though it’ll result in us conceding the odd goal as a result every now and then, we’ll boss the middle and score far more. Anyways, this is just my personal opinion as a squad member and what really matters is what the manager says, as it happens listening to him last night this is pretty similar to what he was instructing, but if it wasn’t then obviously the manager’s instruction overrules personal opinion.

Fully agree that games are won or lost in the middle but there’s 2 parts to that it: personnel and the system as I’ve outlined and it would be wrong to focus solely on one or the other, in fact you could argue that the better the system the less dependent you are on individual performances, though naturally you want good personnel and a great system.

Even with our the large number of changes and slightly lax shape, I do agree that we had the players and chances to get a result last night, and as Dave pointed out, we were inches away from a tap-in on several occasions (they had one decent chance in the whole 2nd half).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

peter, the point im making is simple and is exactly what Jules said. we wanted to set out our stall early and get a settled team and formation,giving lads a chance to make a position their own and give some new members a chance to challenge them. we had to make 5 changes last night both in terms of positional and personell and this can unsettle any team. to do this in only our second game was disappointing, but totally unavoidable.

id agree with that, but my point was that we wont get anywhere rationalising things away by saying 'oh if only so and so was there'.... we are, if im not mistaken, a squad after all.

Advertisement