Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Irish Racism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hmm as somebody who has probably never even been to Glasgow, never mind to an Old Firm game, how would you know?
    Because it's well documented?
    Just because I say there is sectarianism from the other side also, does not mean I'm disagreeing with you about the sectarianism against Catholics.
    Typical D4 attitude.
    LOL - look at my location... although I did live in Dublin 4 for a while - Ringsend.
    How is it a "D4 attitude" anyway?

Ponster wrote: »
    I work with a LOT of Asians and have done do for about 8 years now.
    How many Europeans could tell the difference between someone from Vietnan & Laos?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I want to ask my Japanese room mate if he can differentiate between Japanese and Chinese people by appearance, but am afraid of causing offense. I can't really tell Irish and British people apart, other than the fact that British people tend to dress better in general..

Baza210 wrote: »
    I want to ask my Japanese room mate if he can differentiate between Japanese and Chinese people by appearance,

Yes they can.. They just look for different features, shape of the forehead for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I wonder how many Lithuanians in Ireland get pissed off at being called Polish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Dudess wrote: »
    Sectarianism from the Celtic supporters too though.

Anti-Irishness by fellow Celts/Anglo Saxons isn't racism by the way...

Please give examples of sectarianism from Celtic supporters. As I said I go to Glasgow nearly once every two months and have seen very little to back that comment up, apart from the odd lad in a pub who has had too much to drink.

Anti-Irishness racism is no different that Anti-Asian, Anti-Black racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

CSC wrote: »
    Please give examples of sectarianism from Celtic supporters. As I said I go to Glasgow nearly once every two months and have seen very little to back that comment up, apart from the odd lad in a pub who has had too much to drink.

Or anti - britishness as well ,there is no difference .It's not and never has being all one way traffic .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

Because it's well documented?

Yes maybe by newspapers with an agenda. I don't disagree that some Celtic supporters can be sectarian, but a small minority. 2003 FIFA supporters of the year, 80,000 went to Seville and no trouble. 50,000 Rangers supporters went to Manchester and there was mass carnage.
    Plenty of pro IRA songs which are argued to be "songs of independence" but in reality are equally as offensive to some people as the "Famine" crap that is being spewed by the twats in Ibrox...

If you are referring to the Fields of Athenry, then that is not a rebel song. The Famine Song is akin to people in Germany singing to Jews. ' The holocaust is over, why don't you go home' so I would argue there is a big difference. I agree that most Celtic and Rangers fans-from Glasgow anyway get on well- but on matchday you can cut the tension around the city with a knife.
    LOL - look at my location... although I did live in Dublin 4 for a while - Ringsend.
    How is it a "D4 attitude" anyway?

Hmm the same attitude I guess that sees Manchester Utd given precedence if there is a Celtic Champions League game on RTE on the same night, the effort by the media to portay all Celtic supporters as North Side skangers. I have noticed that on boards too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

the effort by the media to portay all Celtic supporters as North Side skangers

There was a bloody riot which closed down the city!!!

There is absolutely nothing in my post to suggest that I try to depict all Celtic supporters as skangers. I don't think presumptuousness makes for great debating.
    I merely said the sectarianism in Glasgow is not one-sided - sure, I would be of the view that the catholic side is guilty of it due to provocation moreso than the protestant side, and yes I'd agree there seems to be generally more aggression on the protestant side. But it's as if I've upset you by not simply nodding my head at the assertion that catholics experience abuse from protestants in Glasgow; as if suggesting there's another side to it somehow implies I'm disagreeing with your assertion.
    Of course it is. Is Irish a colour? Anti Irishness from fellow whites is NOT racism. It's prejudice, xenophobia, sectarianism if religion is brought into it, but racism... it is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

And I'm sure the Rangers fans say something similar about their share of the sectarian morons being 'just the odd lad who got carried away'.
    Hmm the same attitude I guess that sees Manchester Utd given precedence if there is a Celtic Champions League game on RTE on the same night, the effort by the media to portay all Celtic supporters as North Side skangers. I have noticed that on boards too.

Manchester United matches attract a higher audience than Celtic matches. That's why they get preference. Same with Liverpool matches. That's all it is.

Next you'll be talking about the Graeme Souness and Trevor Steven being panellists as part of some big pro-Rangers conspiracy. :D

I merely said the sectarianism in Glasgow is not one-sided - sure, I would be of the view that the catholic side is guilty of it due to provocation moreso than the protestant side, and yes I'd agree there seems to be generally more aggression on the protestant side. .

I seem to remember a TG4 programme recently about Donegal migrants to Glasgow in the 60's, they found the protestants more welcoming.

Of course it is. Is Irish a colour? Anti Irishness from fellow whites is NOT racism. It's prejudice, xenophobia, sectarianism if religion is brought into it, but racism... it is not.

rubbish. the nazis and jews were white, the nazis were anti-Semitic racists.

Many Jews may have white skin but they are Semites, a particular ethnic group. A lot of Jews don't look white at all but middle-Eastern/arabic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

The guys who vandalised the Ranger's keeper's car last week? Do they count?

Many Jews may have white skin but they are Semites, a particular ethnic group.

so are we. You ahve clearly gone from a primarily skin-colour definition of race, to primarily an ethnic one ( and all of the German Jews, and Eastern European Jews had white skin)

The history of British anti-Irish prejudice in ireland was racist. That term was commonly in use at the time - the feckless Irish race

I am one for getting over all this, but lets have some accuracy in terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You mean the "Holly Goaly" incident? :D

javaboy wrote: »
    You mean the "Holly Goaly" incident? :D

I do indeed.

Celtic fans - bringing shame upon the reputation of Scotland, Ireland and Catholicism since the 19th Century. :pac:

asdasd wrote: »
    so are we. You ahve clearly gone from a primarily skin-colour definition of race, to primarily an ethnic one ( and all of the German Jews, and Eastern European Jews had white skin)

The history of British anti-Irish prejudice in ireland was racist. That term was commonly in use at the time - the feckless Irish race

I am one for getting over all this, but lets have some accuracy in terminology.

Well at the end of the day it's all an exercise in semantics. Technically you can't say anything racist about Irish people, but everyone knows what you mean. Anyway, the past was awash with stupid ideas of race and nationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I wonder how many Lithuanians in Ireland get pissed off at being called Polish

I made the mistake of asking a Lithuanian girl in my college if she was from Poland.:pac:

She wasn't best pleased.:o

Similarly, I was in Spain during the summer doing a language course. I introduced myself as Irish. One day, the teacher asked what languages we spoke, and as there was a Chinese guy in the class, she asked if anybody could speak Chinese. When I said 'no' and she rolled her eyes and sighed ''Inglés!" (English). :confused: Well, for a start, I made it clear I wasn't English, and secondly why the attitude, even if I was?

In England, people have always been very friendly and nice to me, personally. You find ignorant people everywhere, I guess, it's not really racism though, unless there's malice behind it.

• Advertisement

I would hazard a guess and say that was probably more just mindless scumbagedness rather than sectarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

I would hazard a guess and say that was probably more just mindless scumbagedness rather than sectarian.

Possibly true... but would you say the same about Neil Lennon getting assaulted? Or would you assume that because he is Irish in Glasgow... that it was a sectarian attack instead of just a scumbag doing it?

Sadly you're wrong.

They (attempted) to scrape sectarian graffiti onto his car. Admittedly they spelled it wrong. :rolleyes:

Look, they're all ****ing mad in Glasgow, it comes from living on a diet of Iron Bru, chip suppers and Tennants extra. They just use their religion to have a pop at each other. :D

(That was a sacastic post and is to purely demonstrate that the English take the piss out of everyone, not just the Irish :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

It’s always so heart lifting to read such posts, on how we all get on so well!
    I can’t think why people who come to live on these Islands or under the impression we’re all a bunch of racists ucnts; when we show such respect for each others cultures and traditions. :D

2008? Me hole! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

acacia its nice to know that people in england are always nice to you,-i find the same when i am in ireland--but the one thing i will agree with is that a lot of people in the uk think all the irish are still british -the main reson is [i believe]is that the republican irish have been coming over and living in the uk right from the start ,and we all have irish work mates friends and family as well as the local pub has a irish manager--every time we turn on the tv-or the radio a dubliner is singing or talking -the best player or manager is irish in your football team -always a irishman getting a knighthood from the queen{how dose that work} -and lets face it those irish eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

Look, they're all ****ing mad in Glasgow, it comes from living on a diet of Iron Bru, chip suppers and Tennants extra. They just use their religion to have a pop at each other. :D

(That was a sacastic post and is to purely demonstrate that the English take the piss out of everyone, not just the Irish :D)

How I miss my Irn Bru :p

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

getz wrote: »
    -always a irishman getting a knighthood from the queen{how dose that work} -and lets face it those irish eyes

If an Irish citizen from the ROI becomes a knight of the British Empire — they won't be called "Sir," as it is only an honorary knighthood from the British, because they’re not a national of Britain or the Commonwealth of former British colonies.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

sir bob geldolf---sir terry wogan

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    sir bob geldolf---sir terry wogan

they are only titles the media have given. I'm not sure about Wogan, he has lived in England so long he may be a British Citizen, but Geldoff and Bono are not "Sirs".

Advertisement