Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Irish Racism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    I was actually quite shocked at the amount of British I've encountered who did not understand the difference between Ireland and Northern Ireland and who consider the UK to be 'the main land' to Ireland....

I knew one guy who had even been to dublin and yet still thought he was still in the UK..

Its amazing alright. I worked in a bar in England in the mid-nineties when the "troubles" were still in full swing. There was one guy, and he was by no means a dope, a successful business man, but he was sure the solution to the troubles in Ireland was to build a Dublin Wall, not unlike the one in Berlin.

Needless to say, i didnt even try to point out what was wrong with his proposed solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Unfortunately the education system in the UK has gone down the crapper in the last thirty years. Before then, even the thickest of the thick knew that Ireland was a separate country. Nowadays, they don't even know where England is. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

I moved to England 3 weeks ago, and all I get is - wow the Irish accent is so sexy! - or - Awww I love the Irish!

Though there was one fella who was implying I must be a whore because I'm from Ireland.... It's funny because he's from Essex...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

We have to remember that your average brit is was brought up to think that all countries are different weird, and over there somewere . The attitude was summed up best by their countrys football teams mentality were they only had to show up to beat the ' always inferior ' opposition . This is a country that gave us Gazza and thousends more like him .I have gone out of my way to sucessfully educate a few if only from living here over the years .;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Thornton: What was it like working with Colin (Farrell), cos he is just so hot in the U.K. right now?

Jackson: He’s pretty hot in the U.S. too.

Thornton: Yeah, but he is one of our own.

Jackson: Isn’t he from Ireland?

Thornton: Yeah, but we can claim him cos Ireland is beside us.

Jackson: You see that’s your problem right there. You British keep claiming people that don’t belong to you. We had that problem here in America too, it was called slavery.

They stole our potatos, now they are stealing our Colin Farrells. Bastards will stoop to any low!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

dlofnep wrote: »
    They stole our potatos, now they are stealing our Colin Farrells. Bastards will stoop to any low!

But England is where all the big knobs hang out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I remember once watching a golf tournement on bbc i and Christy o Conner snr ,when he was winning was refered to as 'the british golfer ' .

When he was loosing it was ' the irish golfer '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

American in Dublin: Excuse me sir do you speak American?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Anti Irish racism is rife in certain areas of the UK and in particular Glasgow. I am a regular visitor to the city to see friends and the sectarianism/racism among the supporters of Rangers is disgraceful. There has been numerous murders and attempted murders in the last 15 years of Celtic supporters/Catholics/Scots born Irish after big matches and recently there has been lots of media coverage over "The Famine Song" that is sung by vast sections at their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

ray houghton, steven reid, lee carsley, tony cascarino and countless others?????

im just back from a week in england and have to say they were all extremely welcoming, really friendly to us irish and great craic....so there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Too many mutha 'uckas 'uckin' with ma shi'.

My weekly balance shi'.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

latchyco wrote: »
    I remember once watching a golf tournement on bbc i and Christy o Conner snr ,when he was winning was refered to as 'the british golfer ' .

When he was loosing it was ' the irish golfer '

I remember something similar when Eddie Irvine was racing for Ferrari,when he made the podium,ITV would say "Britian's Eddie Irvine",when he'd crash out it was "Ireland's Eddie Irvine".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Who's this Jackson fella? Not Sam L is it? Anywhere I can see the interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Should this thread be renamed "Anti English racism" ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Should this thread be renamed "Anti English racism" ;)

shoudn't the us election forum be named 'obama/biden fanforum'?

you just gotta take these kind of things as a given :)

800 years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

CSC wrote: »
    Anti Irish racism is rife in certain areas of the UK and in particular Glasgow. I am a regular visitor to the city to see friends and the sectarianism/racism among the supporters of Rangers is disgraceful. There has been numerous murders and attempted murders in the last 15 years of Celtic supporters/Catholics/Scots born Irish after big matches and recently there has been lots of media coverage over "The Famine Song" that is sung by vast sections at their games.
    Sectarianism from the Celtic supporters too though.

Anti-Irishness by fellow Celts/Anglo Saxons isn't racism by the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Disclaimer: I am not a politically savvy person... nor do I bear any grudge against the English.

Just wondering here, but as an Irishman living in the UK, I have experienced quite a few anti-Irish sentiments from English people. To be more precise... I'm in Cardiff, and I find Welsh people very amicable - however, many English people are not.

Example:

I have never held any opinion on the north/Irish politics/etc., as I felt it never affected me... and I wasn't educated enough on the issue so I couldn't comment. However this display of sheer ignorance stunned me.

So I'm wondering, has anyone else experienced the same thing? What do you do in a situation like that again? I have received a few snide remarks about this...I never thought I would encounter it. For the most part, I really like the English... this just suprised me I guess?

I'm not usually very patriotic or anything but I did feel like my identity was in question. I don't like that and also, I feel "Irish jokes" reinforce the negative stereotypes that belittle us.

Opinions/Advice?

Cheers.

ive personally never been racially attacked... apart from a bunch of blacks in burger king but thats a given i guess....

but id be quick to verbally destroy anyone who dismisses ireland, sure we are a bunch of mubbling tax evading muppets but hey, if jealousy is a sin i guess they will all rot in hell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

slipss wrote: »
    Who's this Jackson fella? Not Sam L is it?
    Yep.

S.I.R wrote: »
    ive personally never been racially attacked... apart from a bunch of blacks in burger king but thats a given i guess....

but id be quick to verbally destroy anyone who dismisses ireland, sure we are a bunch of mubbling tax evading Leprechauns but hey, if jealousy is a sin i guess they will all rot in hell :D

Fixed that for ya :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

When it comes to ireland anyway, theres a shocking amount of ignorance in the UK.

i'm fairly certain the inverse also applies.

• Advertisement

Mordeth wrote: »
    shoudn't the us election forum be named 'obama/biden fanforum'?

you just gotta take these kind of things as a given :)

800 years!!

You mean the coloured fella versus McCain?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

i'm fairly certain the inverse also applies.

Not really true though is it?

There is the issue of partition over here (which is difficult for some Irish people I have come across to understand, never mind people in a different country) where as in England no such issue exists. Irish people are also much more aware of English culture through news, television and film whereas the inverse is clearly not the case.

Not a go at anybody there and I dont think it should be interpreted as such...its just the way it is. For example I would also say Irish people are much more clued up on American culture, politics and history than vice versa.

I was actually quite shocked at the amount of British I've encountered who did not understand the difference between Ireland and Northern Ireland and who consider the UK to be 'the main land' to Ireland....

there are loads of Irish people in England, some are from the north and are British, some are form the north and aren't. Then you have some from the south, who hate people form the north yet support an English football team and their national team consists mainly of people born in London.

All the above seem to view England as theirs, because they live and work freely in the country as and when they feel like it, even to the extent of having "Irish" clubs in most large towns and cities.

It can get confusing at times.

Back to the OPs point, there are thick people everywhere. You met one dumb English bird, who was probaly trying to wind you up anyway. get over it.

Babybing wrote: »
    Not really true though is it?

There is the issue of partition over here (which is difficult for some Irish people I have come across to understand, never mind people in a different country) where as in England no such issue exists. Irish people are also much more aware of English culture through news, television and film whereas the inverse is clearly not the case.

Not a go at anybody there and I dont think it should be interpreted as such...its just the way it is. For example I would also say Irish people are much more clued up on American culture, politics and history than vice versa.

How many Irish people get confused over the difference between Britain and England? You may be somewhat surprised/alarmed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Couldn't give a **** about irish jokes tbh... If I did I'd be a hypocrit, be as 'racist' as ya want towards the irish... no skin off my back.

One thing that does get me though is the lack of education english students have about everything that happened between us in the past. It has happened to myself and a few mates on several occasions where we were talking to a group of english lads, all of which believed that Ireland was part of the UK just as much as Scotland or Wales. I was even more shocked to find out this is what they have been told in schools. And I'm not just talking NI, I'm talking the whole fookin republic.

Needless to say I made sure they understood the situation by the time they left.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I moved to London about two months ago and haven't experienced anything negative yet.
    If anything I've been made feel really welcome.
    The Irish accent is really well recieved over here!

Zangetsu wrote: »
    Couldn't give a **** about irish jokes tbh... If I did I'd be a hypocrit, be as 'racist' as ya want towards the irish... no skin off my back.

One thing that does get me though is the lack of education english students have about everything that happened between us in the past. It has happened to myself and a few mates on several occasions where we were talking to a group of english lads, all of which believed that Ireland was part of the UK just as much as Scotland or Wales. I was even more shocked to find out this is what they have been told in schools. And I'm not just talking NI, I'm talking the whole fookin republic.

Needless to say I made sure they understood the situation by the time they left.

Then they have changed what is taught in English schools, a lot.

Irish history is (Quite rightly) important to the Irish, but it is just part of a much much broader history to the English.

Pretty much everything in Irish History involves the English whereas the Irish make up about 3% of English history.

bronte wrote: »
    I moved to London about two months ago and haven't experienced anything negative yet.
    If anything I've been made feel really welcome.
    The Irish accent is really well recieved over here!

That's good. you will probably have some idiot take the piss out of your accent, or make some wise crack about being a think paddy, but if they do that is usually down to their own insecurity. As i am sure you have realised, being a "Foreigner" in London makes you a majority, although the fact you come from the northern hemisphere does make you a bit of an abnormality:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I remember I went out one night for a pint and got talking to some English fella , I wasn't in a great humour just one of them nights and he was ranting on about england this and that for about ten mins when he's drinking a gin and tonic and says.

"You know fella, this is our queens favourite drink, so if it's good enough for her!"

(Raises his glass to me)

Him: God save the queen...

Me: Ah **** your queen!!

He nearly dropped his glass from horror, oh no not the queen I shall lash out my sword and defent her honour...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Thats true but most of what they are teaching them is a load of bollox eg. Ireland is a part of the UK.

Bit strange they can't get something so basic right?

Advertisement