Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car buying advice for long distance commute

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

150bhp is possible, I didn’t suggest the OP remap the engine I said it was possible.

So according to you, an Audi will wear out with that type of mileage before any other car..
    Sure chipping is possible in any car. But only VAG heads talk about it.
    I didn't say the Audi will wear out quicker than any other car with specific mileage, (apart from the known suspension issues), I meant that for 10k the OP would get a car that a badge snob wouldn't suggest with far less mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

150bhp is possible, I didn’t suggest the OP remap the engine I said it was possible.

So according to you, an Audi will wear out with that type of mileage before any other car..

As mentioned before the op should spend as little as possible on a car and factor in maintenance. Spending 6k on a trusted make should leave plenty in the kitty for maintenance, whatever comes up.

stretchaq thats a good price for your car any links ?

PM sent
    http://www.carlist.ie/vehicles/view/55632-audi-a4-wexford?r=/vehicles/108,109,966/*/*/*/flat/

link as requested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Biro wrote: »
    Sure chipping is possible in any car. But only VAG heads talk about it.
    I didn't say the Audi will wear out quicker than any other car with specific mileage, (apart from the known suspension issues), I meant that for 10k the OP would get a car that a badge snob wouldn't suggest with far less mileage.

Oh right im being called a "badge snob" by someone who suggested another "badge" LOL hypocrite.. want some salt for that chip..I've owned Honda's, Toyota's, Opels, VW, and currently own a SEAT. Be careful I might just take that as a compliment. Never owned a Audi in my life.

People seem to have a lot of faith in that model, and I know the 115 PD engine is very good, but slightly underpowered compared to modern ones hence the remap suggestion.

Whatever you decide on OP its certainly a great time to have 10k to spend on a car, plenty of choice out there.

I would love this, being a commuter myself its wishful thinking.

http://tinyurl.com/5series

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

My suggestion is the Renault Megane 1.5 diesel.

They are comfortable dirt cheap and really economical. Electrics can give issues however the last couple of years ones have that sorted.

Stay away from Audi overpriced and VW are also slightly overrated

If going VW buy a Passat better value than a Golf. Whatever it is about the Golf is holds its value far better than a Passat and is no great shakes of a car....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Oh right im being called a "badge snob" by someone who suggested another "badge" LOL hypocrite.. want some salt for that chip..I've owned Honda's, Toyota's, Opels, VW, and currently own a SEAT. Be careful I might just take that as a compliment. Never owned a Audi in my life.

People seem to have a lot of faith in that model, and I know the 115 PD engine is very good, but slightly underpowered compared to modern ones hence the remap suggestion.

Whatever you decide on OP its certainly a great time to have 10k to spend on a car, plenty of choice out there.

I would love this, being a commuter myself its wishful thinking.

http://tinyurl.com/5series

Sorry, but where did I call you a badge snob?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

My suggestion is the Renault Megane 1.5 diesel.
    This might be a bit underpowered... better to have 110/130bhp under the right foot when running these long journeys every day.
    I've tried my bro's 1.6 307 and to be honest compared to my 99' passat I felt I was having to "trash" it alot to keep with the traffic on the N3..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

At this stage I'm bored by the imaturity of some of the posts here- the original poster- Seclachi- asked a simple question in relation to what car for a long commute- a simple request you would think, and one that in the early posts, was pretty much constructive.

It has turned into a totally immature back-bitting competition (due to the intervention of a certain few) that has wavered so far off the subject that it's pointless- even my own simple contribution was attacked in terms of my short reference to injection engines ..for the record, Biro I think this link clarifies my point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection

If you have a different opinion, then go ahead and state it- but don't start attacking and putting down all others in the process- I have personally found Passats unconfortable, therefore would never consider buying one but that's me.
    For me,all of the other cars have merits but at the end of the day, it is the personal choice of Seclachi to decide. If I had posted the original thread, I would be totally bemused at the pathetic level this thread has dropped to.
    Seclachi...ever considered a motorbike...or moving abroad?? so much easier!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesO

Well gettin back to the point I do around 80k a year and always buy a 100,110 or a 115 bhp car and have it remapped, its much better value than shellin out extra for a red DI etc, with easy driving you'll get about 10% extra in fuel.jO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

My Brother chose to rent a car for a year before buying

Slightly different in that he was shopping for a new car

2006 Rent cost monthly rates costs 16 Eros a day before VAT or about 20 euros day ( except august and chritmas week which was three times higher)

He rented for the year except August when he went on holiday and rented in spain and other periods used wives car

Worked out at 5600 euros exclucing VAT a 11 month year

After he bought in jan 2007 a KIA 7 seater thingy 2 liter petrol for 27,000

If he get say 15000 for it trading in in 2009 the bigger car to replace at say 27000 would mean costs of 7500 a year not including insurance tax etc

But for my brother the nature of his reqirements with big teens means thats he hasnt a real choice on these costs

The reason I mention this is if the commute is vital as in work replacement car costs while second hand car is broken down has to factored in

My Brother other car (wifes car) 1999 Volvo V40 replacement clutch at 80k miles cost 1000 euros and car was down for several days so they had to for a few days hire a replacement car also

I do a lot of tempory contract work which has no security but so far haven't had to do any outside of main trainline routes so i use the train

If a contract came from outside train routes and was long commute i would most likely opt to do car rental annd mothball my 1998 suziki swift runabout is to clapped out for long commuting even though at 60MPH it get about ~55 MPG on the motor ways

Really 25000 miles per year is marginal the differences between diesel v petrol

If its vital to do large commutes and the job is secure like civil service then its often a no brainer to buy new even with loans and replce car every few years as there is less suprises in running costs and 50,000 mile two year old cars get OK prices for trade in for another new one

Or if work is not secure like agency work than rental often is the best solution so if work stps just stop renting

Derry

Advertisement