Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car buying advice for long distance commute

Options
  • 11-10-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hey, Im looking around for a car for a long distance commute, it`ll probably average out about 50 miles each way, so I reckon maybe 25k over a year factoring in holidays and so on. So on with the questions.

-Petrol or diesel ? Which one would be more cost effective

-What would be best engine size bearing in mind I`ll be on national roads and therefore could require some welly to overtake artic lorries, but at the same time something that doesnt drink fuel like mad.

-Should I go for a large car like a VW Passat like a few people advised me, or something like a corolla or golf which would be more my inclination.

-Age vs miles on the clock, one person has suggested a 4-5 year old car with about 100k on the clock, should I aim for less milage on the clock considering I`ll be adding alot myself ?

-I`ll probably be spending around 10k ish, so any suggestions for cars around that price would be cool.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

you should 100% look for a diesel car, with a bigger engine, something like a 1.9 or 2.2. litre - this is cope with the long distances better, so the diesel will do more miles per gallon.

I suggest a Saab 9-3 TiD Diesel - you get book 58.9 miles per gallon, but comonly around 50 mpg. They are also good value for money"

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Kingser

Skoda Superb 1.9TDI.. Great cars one taxi driver i know has his in 200,000KM and running perfect. Gets serviced every 40,000KM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

I do about 30k (miles) per year and imo, for long drives everyday you need a big car (bigger the better) as i find bigger cars less tiring to drive. Ive got a c5, 2.0 HDI 110HP, its as comfortable as driving a bed, the hydraulic suspension really makes a difference. It has plenty of welly, and I do between 6-700 miles on a full tank (about 75 quid at the moment)thats normal driving not driving miss daisy. Admittedly the road tax on it is a bit steep, but the newer ones have the same power out of a 1.6. and it does have a few citroen personality quirks :rolleyes:

sorry for the long post, but to summarise, big car(passat, mondeo etc), diesel engine 110HP+ after that use your own taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I do about 45 miles (minimum) a day and would echo the above. You'll want a big diesel - 1.9 or above.

My 06 2L (140 BHP) TDI Auto Passat fits the bill perfectly. Big car, comfortable, economical and well able for the mileage - she's serviced every 10k miles/15k km, and right now there's a lot of 2nd hand ones out there

Tip: go for the Comfortline - SE if a UK import - spec or better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

How about something halfway between a corolla and passat sizewise.

I'd look at a Seat Toledo tdi (the older model, not the current abomination). The 110 bhp model comes in the signum spec, has all the toys, is very economical, very comfortable, and is often overlooked, hence often good value for money.

The 110hp model has impressive mid range acceleration too, handy for overtaking.

Something like this, for example:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/SEAT/Toledo/TDI-2YR/1146760/

or

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/SEAT/Toledo/1.9TDI-Signo/1100770/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you want a smaller car then I'd go for something like this in your shoes

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A3/2.0-TDI/1104011/

Dunno how far out of your budget that is, but I'd imagine there's at least €2k haggle in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

100 miles each day is a long commute so personally, I would choose the following factors, in the following order:

1. Comfort
    2. Power (especially for overtaking and keeping sane on the road)
    3 Reliability
    4. Economy (MPG/Tax/Servicing etc)

Money is a big consideration for such a long commute- many 2 litre petrol cars will only give you approx 35MPG on the open road (some even less)- so your weekly petrol bill could be 80-90 Euro at current rates.

Saying that, for me, comfort is v.important if you are going to be in the car for that long everyday, (I don't have quite that commute but do spend enough time and milage commuting and also drive abroad) so I wouldn't rate economy that highly - a 100 mile commute is a 100 mile commute- its going to cost you, so budgeting down on other 'luxuries' is one thing you can do, if money is an issue- call it a personal tax and move on:)

Overtaking (safely) requires power- for me, overtaking on country roads or dual carraigeways can only be done with a good responsive engine (turbo or injection preferable)- I certainly find it keeps the stress levels down a bit.

After that, make sure you test drive whatever car you're thinking of, for a good run- not just a few minutes- remember, you'll be in it for at least 2.5 hours everyday

Good hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say the old Volvo S40 1.9 TD should be considered. It ticks alot of the OPs boxes. You should be able to pick up a 03/04 model with leather on your budget. Volvos tend to be very comfortable cruisers and while that 1.9 TD with 115bhp is an old Renault unit it is tried, tested and generally reliable.

Here is an example:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volvo/S40/1.9D-115BHP/1198619/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesO

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet but don't forget cruise control and climate control their essential for high milage drivers yea as Kingser mentioned the Skoda Superb's are pritty good my mate's got 245k on his and still going strong.

jO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Oops just saw €10k budget there, my bad:rolleyes:

cl-p-dublin1231456version_51183423.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I've been doing a 110mile round trip to work for the last 13 years...
    You need a diesel, no point in considering a petrol. I've used OH's car on occasions and the fuel bill goes silly...

I've been driving a Passat recently and have racked up about 140K on her. Very relyable, easy on fuel as it still does ~48mpg. Service cost is a little on the high side...

If I were going out with your budget I'd be looking at the Skoda Superb, like this.. http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Superb/1.9-TDI/1170570/
    Friend has changed from a passat to one and loves the increased comfort.. Lots of car for the money..

As others have said.. go for a bigger car, I've had a Renault 19 and VW Golf as well and the larger Passat makes life easier...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

bbam wrote: »
    I've been doing a 110mile round trip to work for the last 13 years...
    You need a diesel, no point in considering a petrol. I've used OH's car on occasions and the fuel bill goes silly...

I've been driving a Passat recently and have racked up about 140K on her. Very relyable, easy on fuel as it still does ~48mpg. Service cost is a little on the high side...

To be more specific, a petrol that does about 40mpg is the same cost to fuel as a 46mpg Diesel. A Toyota Camry 2.4 does that (maybe more) and ticks all the other boxes and costs around €8500ish for a 2002 model.

Passats= big car, o' rly? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Drive 700 miles a week!!!!! Audi A4 is the way to go for ya 130bhp, drive a 01 new sape one 130bhp, 123k on the clock never so much as a bulb blown great car!!!! you can pick em up fairly cheap now i know the price of my one is gone through the floor anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesO

That's looks a pritty clean one bbam.................

jO-))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'd go for the last prev A4 with the PD engine (115 Bhp) Keep the change for a remap, service, timing belt etc. These are mile munchiers, and I've seen them do 250k and are still going stong.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/TDI-red/1207722/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Cicero wrote: »
    ... a good responsive engine (turbo or injection preferable)-

I don't remember the last car to come without injection... it's a long time ago anyway!! Pre 1992 maybe?
    Anyhoo... OP - 25k a year is probably around the point where a diesel starts to outweigh a petrol in overall economy. The fuel is more expensive, the car is more expensive, but the mpg is higher, so at around that figure that's probably beyond the break even point.
    If you want a petrol, then I'd suggest a 2 litre Honda Accord, 2003 new shape should be attainable within your budget. However, if diesel, then the Accord will be just outside that, so I'd be looking at the Mondeo, Mazda 6 (despite the scare-mongering stories you'll find on here), and Superb (if you don't care about handling). I'd avoid old Audi's like were recommended above, you can do much better for your money. Avensis is another one, but they're typically expensive. Octavia is more of Golf in size, but isn't a bad buy, but if you're dropping to that class then also consider a Focus.

Dont agree with you at all, the honda however good, the 2.0 VTEC is a drunk,I know having owed one in the past. Simply a town car for someone who would do little milage maybe 10k a year.

IMO for 6k the OP will have a very good car with great spec, (climate control, Pioneer cd and speaker upgrade) and an indestructible engine with decent performance, (an option for the OP would be a remap 150bhp). With a daily long run and possible need to over take a diesel is much more safer than a Petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Dont agree with you at all, the honda however good, the 2.0 VTEC is a drunk,I know having owed one in the past. Simply a town car for someone who would do little milage maybe 10k a year.

IMO for 6k the OP will have a very good car with great spec, (climate control, Pioneer cd and speaker upgrade) and an indestructible engine with decent performance, (an option for the OP would be a remap 150bhp). With a daily long run and possible need to over take a diesel is much more safer than a Petrol.

With that level of kit chances are almost 100% it's in from the UK. In which case you may as well assume it has over a quarter of a million miles on it. And you're suggesting that the OP stresses the engine more by chipping it? It's the old engine, 150bhp is optimistic from that unit. And not to mention the cost of parts that'll inevitably wear out on the high mileage and old Audi (suspension problems anyone?).
    OP, don't be daft and opt for a newer, lower mileage car like a Mondeo. Forget the over rated old A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Having spent the last 6 years commuting a similar distance to the OP I'd advise you to spend as little as possible because it will be worthless in 1-2 years at that mileage.

Best car I've had for commuting was a Mondeo 2.0Tddi 115ps Zetec. Put 40,000 miles on in just under 18 months. Running costs were 2 services and 6 tyres (front wear was a bit heavy, but that was probably just me). Increadibly comfortable as it could take 3 hours to get home some days so you need something which won't kill you. This was my car and it looks like the owner who bought it after I traded the car has really looked after it. http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Mondeo/2.0-TD/1220728/. 550 - 600 miles from a tank on long commutes.

Apart from that, the Volvo S40 1.9d looks good as the seats are really good in those and I've had good feedback from drivers regarding the overtaking ability. S40 would probably cost more to run than a Mondeo.

A/C is essential for the 3 sunny days a year when you aren't moving in traffic, don't even consider something without.

EDIT: I'd also make sure whatever you buy has Lumbar Support, because your back is going ache after that length of time in the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

if its comfort you are after with great mpg the French diesel cars are hard to beat.
    You could pick up a Peugeot 406 rapier with low miles for cheap.
    I used to drive a Peugeot 406 HDI and I now drive a VW Passat. There is simply no comparison between the 2. The Peugeot was a counrty mile ahead of the vw for comfort and handling. I cannot emphasise this enough!!
    Happy hunting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Biro wrote: »
    With that level of kit chances are almost 100% it's in from the UK. In which case you may as well assume it has over a quarter of a million miles on it.

Dont get that at all. Why would you assume a car from the UK has lotsa mileage anymore than our own cars, which are so poorly tracked (by legislation and garage service) by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

I'd go for the last prev A4 with the PD engine (115 Bhp) Keep the change for a remap, service, timing belt etc. These are mile munchiers, and I've seen them do 250k and are still going stong.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/TDI-red/1207722/

how could anybody reccomend that old Audi A4 for €6700 (115bhp) thats just crazy money, would sell my one for €8750

2001 new model 130bhp know wat i would be doin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Agree with cashmni1, also consider previous model Citroen C5 or Renault Laguna. Like this one owner facelift 05 Laguna 1.9 Dci (think it's 130 bhp) Asking price 7k, ad says it has FSH.
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Laguna/1.9-DCI/1222762/

Haggle and check warranty etc. Value for money, comfort, engine refinement, noise insulation (all important for a long commute) of both of these cars is noticably better than many of the suggestions in the thread.

Cars such as 2nd hand Audi A4 TDis are frankly an absurd price. Check out carzone asking prices for 7 or 8 year old examples with 150+ k miles on them. Most will have had multiple uncaring owners at this stage and and have been "horsed". Any with low mileage are suspicious from a clocking point of view. Similar comments would apply to previous model Passats which BTW are old hat, a mid nineties design just like the previous model Volvo S40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Diesel is about 5% dearer than petrol so I think you are a bit out with your 40 and 46mpg being equivalent.

I'd go with a Passat or a Superb. You should get one for that money no problem, the Superb being the more comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Thanks for all the pointers everybody, I think a big car is the way to go alright, my brother is pretty much in the same boat as me at the moment and he drives a large diesel car.
    R.O.R wrote: »
    Having spent the last 6 years commuting a similar distance to the OP I'd advise you to spend as little as possible because it will be worthless in 1-2 years at that mileage.

I agree here, looking on carzone the price of these types of cars really plumments after a short while. Ill probably drive one for a few years and then see how much I can squeeze out of a dealer when its fla`d.

Are the skoda supurbs based on an volkswagen engine by anychance ? I remember something about a buyout a few years back..

The Superb is just a slightly bigger Passat.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Superb/tdi-130bhp/1223541/

Do not buy an Audi A4. Smaller and overpriced.

Biro wrote: »
    With that level of kit chances are almost 100% it's in from the UK. In which case you may as well assume it has over a quarter of a million miles on it. And you're suggesting that the OP stresses the engine more by chipping it? It's the old engine, 150bhp is optimistic from that unit. And not to mention the cost of parts that'll inevitably wear out on the high mileage and old Audi (suspension problems anyone?).
    OP, don't be daft and opt for a newer, lower mileage car like a Mondeo. Forget the over rated old A4.
    150bhp is possible, I didn’t suggest the OP remap the engine I said it was possible.

So according to you, an Audi will wear out with that type of mileage before any other car..

As mentioned before the op should spend as little as possible on a car and factor in maintenance. Spending 6k on a trusted make should leave plenty in the kitty for maintenance, whatever comes up.

stretchaq thats a good price for your car any links ?

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Cars such as 2nd hand Audi A4 TDis are frankly an absurd price. Check out carzone asking prices for 7 or 8 year old examples with 150+ k miles on them. Most will have had multiple uncaring owners at this stage and and have been "horsed". Any with low mileage are suspicious from a clocking point of view. Similar comments would apply to previous model Passats which BTW are old hat, a mid nineties design just like the previous model Volvo S40.

I agree the op should really be looking at the likes of this.

http://tinyurl.com/437698

Diesel Low mileage etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Diesel Low mileage etc

Lol, thats a bit too farmer chic for me.

• Advertisement

Diesel Low mileage etc

What a horrible place to spend a huge amount of your working week in. Typical motors suggestion.

Advertisement