Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggies, prams etc.

Options
  • 11-10-2008 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Decisions decisions :)

Thought it might be useful if we started a thread on buggies, where to buy them, best prices, recommendations.

I was all set to buy the quinny buzz until I read the reviews on Which.co.uk I want an all terrain buggy travel system so have now decided on the Britax Vigour 3+ with carry cot, car seat and isofix car base ( maybe).

Anyone any experience of this package? Gets a best buy recommendation on which and is cheaper than quinny, bugaboo etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

No idea about that one, but I did buy a britax voyaga ultra (http://www.babyfy.com/index.php/product-review/2243/Britax-Voyaga-Ultra/) - very heavy, which was what I wanted, ironically enough, and the build quality seems to be something else compared to the graco mosaic I had when the boy was born. Easy to say that now with no baby in it, I suppose!

The vigour looks lovely, though :) It's just a personal thing, I hate pushing 3-wheelers, find them very awkward going up and down off footpaths, steps etc.

The travel system I bought has the same baby seat, looks very comfy.. If you spot a good deal on the isofix base, let me know, still looking for one!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

After my investigations I bought - http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_329_10751_-1__61474_10001_
    I am not a big fan of 3 wheelers but need an all terrain pram/buggy.

It is heavy folded,car seat is nice and light though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I have a three wheeler from my last baby, Definitely a great buggy brilliant for long walks etc, But for the convenience of going shopping and not breaking your back lifting the buggy in and out of the boot of your car, I would advise you also invest in a stroller..

Something light, compact and easy to fold up. and if you are going to be commuting something that you can manage to carry onto the bus with you and still be able to hold your baby .. because chivalry is officially dead!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

As a non-driver and enthuasiastic walker right by the luas line and phoenix park some of these are not issues for me. 3 wheeler seem to be the best for me then.

Maybe I'm crazy but I also figure I won't be bringing the baby with me when I go out shopping as that will be me time and if i'm with my husband he can lift the buggy about and in and out of the car.

Moonbeam, your buggie looks great and that site http://www.kiddicare.com/ has delivery to Ireland for only £18.99. Seems very reasonable.

Quackles - how much have you seen the isofix base for as I don't have a clue what it should cost?

A real hit with our lab experts, this all-terrain version of the Britax Vigour + is a great choice whether you want it for the country or the city.

It can be used as a travel system for younger babies by clicking in the optional carrycot, or Cosy Tot premium car seat – a Best Buy when used with the Isofix base.

Despite its size, we found it easy to use on public transport.

It is excellent on pavements, kerbs and bumpy and rough ground, although slightly less manoeuvrable around obstacles, particularly because the rear wheels are set quite far apart. The turning circle is bigger than average and, like other three-wheelers, it can tip slightly when turned sharply.

The brakes are effective and the handlebar can be adjusted from a height of 87cm to 107cm to cater for different carers.

The seat can face forwards or backwards so your child can see you when they are younger. The entire seat reclines using an excellent lever that can be operated with one hand to give a smooth and continuous recline. The leg rest adjusts to four supportive positions.

It is not a great choice for car users, it's fairly bulky when folded, measuring 31x85x63cm (166 litres) and weighs 12.1kg so moving it when it's folded is not simple, although it does have a self-catching clip to keep it closed.

The pushchair comes with a rain cover and a hood plus two storage pockets. Removable seat covers and quick-release rear wheels should make cleaning easy, although the paler fabrics can stain.

It passed all of our durability and construction tests.

Pros: Good storage, very easy to fold and unfold

Cons: Fairly bulky when folded

• Advertisement

Grawns wrote: »
    Quackles - how much have you seen the isofix base for as I don't have a clue what it should cost?

Smyths quoted something like €130 for the base, I think it was a little less in halfords - I'm sure I saw it somewhere for 100, I wish I could remember where.. stupid pregnancy brain :) Might try down the north, Enniskillen is only 40 minutes away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

i know someone with the old quinny buzz and it was as all terrain a buggy as you could get, the seat was very secure and cosy for baby,the new one definitely looks a bit more flimsy.why dont you look around for a second hand old version of the buzz if you like it and you could probably try it outside given its already been used and see what you think?the one i knew off was well able for the park without a pathway,we even used it on the bmx track in marlay park-no bother at all! it has proper mini tyres so i suppose decent suspension for baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

sorry mean to say that another friend had the phil and ted 3 wheeler and that was ok but not as good as the buzz, its also a bit big for one child, but great for two

ChickCool wrote: »
    sorry mean to say that another friend had the phil and ted 3 wheeler and that was ok but not as good as the buzz, its also a bit big for one child, but great for two

Those two child phil and ted yolks scare me - the rear wheels are in direct reach of the child in the bottom, I've often seen children going for them, seems very dangerous to me. Not to mention the fact that they get a fantastic view of the back of their sibling's seat..

ChickCool wrote: »
    i know someone with the old quinny buzz and it was as all terrain a buggy as you could get, the seat was very secure and cosy for baby,the new one definitely looks a bit more flimsy.why dont you look around for a second hand old version of the buzz if you like it and you could probably try it outside given its already been used and see what you think?the one i knew off was well able for the park without a pathway,we even used it on the bmx track in marlay park-no bother at all! it has proper mini tyres so i suppose decent suspension for baby

Am going to keep my eyes out as have now decided not to bother with a new buggy, buy one 2nd hand and save all my funds for the tough times. Tnx

• Advertisement

Well that didn't last
    Kiddicare are having a sale and the britax visio is reduced to £99. Bought it and the cosytot premium car seat. Both for €244 including delivery!

:eek: Total impulse.

Well that didn't last
    Kiddicare are having a sale and the britax visio is reduced to £99. Bought it and the cosytot premium car seat. Both for €244 including delivery!

:eek: Total impulse.

Looks very similar to the one I got for 200 in smyths without the base.. very well built yolk it is too.. I totally get the impulse buy, I got mine at 10 or 11 weeks pregnant because it was on sale :eek:

Whats p&p like from there? Good price for the base...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My travel system was on sale in Eurocycles Eurobaby for 400€ down from €800... I'm delighted with it... It's the Neonato travel system and it is gorgeous... I was just in the babies room admiring it today actually :p

My travel system was on sale in Eurocycles Eurobaby for 400€ down from €800... I'm delighted with it... It's the Neonato travel system and it is gorgeous... I was just in the babies room admiring it today actually :p

Imagine how gorgeous it'll be when it's populated ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I know Quackles... not long left now, I am getting quite nervous!!

Quackles wrote: »
    Looks very similar to the one I got for 200 in smyths without the base.. very well built yolk it is too.. I totally get the impulse buy, I got mine at 10 or 11 weeks pregnant because it was on sale :eek:

Whats p&p like from there? Good price for the base...

Delivery is a flat rate of £19.99 so only good if you're spending a bit.

Delivery is a flat rate of £19.99 so only goos iof you're spending a bit.

Ah well, the search continues, so!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

anyone have any experience of the ladybird Travel system. they have shops nationwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

I've bought the Silver Cross Sleepover Delux.

Grawns - Can I be cheeky and ask you to see what Which? say about it, I'm not a member.

Hi Lillyella

No prob, I'm only a member until 30th Nov so might as well get my £1 worth

They don't have your pram reviewed yet. They have

Silver Cross 3D Pram System
    Silver Cross POP
    Silver Cross Dazzle
    Silver Cross Fizz
    Silver Cross Freeway Linear

Are any of those relevent?

• Advertisement

Oooh, Grawns, can I use and abuse you too and ask you to check the britax voyaga ultra? I often wondered and didn't realise you could get a short membership!!

My pleasure :)

Britax Voyaga Ultra 73% - Not a best buy but not far off ( has to be 75% I think)

This 4-wheeled travel system is a great choice if you're looking for a substantial pushchair with lots of useful features, but it's not good in a tight corner.

The adjustable handlebars (77-113 cm) are comfortable and overall it's easy to manoeuvre, although its weight makes it tricky on stairs, and the large turning circle makes it hard to push around obstacles.

This pushchair is suitable from birth; the backrest reclines smoothly to 4 positions and the lever is very easy to use. A soft carry-cot and Cosy Tot Premium child car seat are also supplied - they are very easy to attach and remove, and an isofix base is sold separately.

It folds easily with a scissor action and has a securing clip and stands upright on its own when folded. At 13.2 kg it is extremely heavy and very bulky when folded which makes it difficult to lift and move. Its bulk also makes it difficult to manoeuvre on buses.

It measures 92x43x61 cm (240 litres) when folded, leaving no space in the boot of a medium hatchback for anything else. It complies with the relevant British Standards for safety, strength, durability and stability.

The fabric is very easy to clean and the seat covers are removable. A wealth of accessories include a brilliant 5 kg shopping basket which is easy to access at all times, 3 storage pockets, a child and adult's cup-holder, detachable accessories bag, rain cover and hood with a viewing window.

Pros: solid pushchair, lots of accessories

Cons: very bulky, very heavy, not good for bus users

FYI: Am happy to help everyone but if interested you can get a trial membership for about 45 days for £1. Should be that all the time really.

BT Baby Monitor 100 or 150
    88% and 87% on which

http://www.mothercare.com/BT-Baby-monitor-150/dp/B0014DEADU#productInfo

Thank you :)

Gotta say, I never used our monitor with the last fellow. I live in a 3 bedroom semi detached house, you can hear if you leave doors open :) I was considering one of the mats that detect motion this time, but then I think that maybe I'm being neurotic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I got the monitor with a little tv screen which was fantastic. I think its summers or something. If baby started crying in the night i could see if she was settling or of something was wrong, also when the climbing out of cot started happening i think seeing it prevented a lot of accidents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Hi Lillyella

No prob, I'm only a member until 30th Nov so might as well get my £1 worth

They don't have your pram reviewed yet. They have

Silver Cross 3D Pram System
    Silver Cross POP
    Silver Cross Dazzle
    Silver Cross Fizz
    Silver Cross Freeway Linear

Are any of those relevent?

Don't think any of those are relevent, but thanks a million for trying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Warrior23

Has anyone used the iCandy Apple (or Pear)? We're expecting in the next couple of months and were thinking about getting one. I'd love to hear some real reviews on them.
    We find it very hard to select a suitable buggy, there are so many of them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The advantage of the Pear is if you have a 2nd kid it is easy to add on another seat.
    I considered the i-candy apple and cherry but the pram is tiny and very low down,it is also nice and light and feels pretty solid.It is pretty expensive too.

If you are buying with a 2nd in mind then a lot of people love the Phil and Teds too,personally I think it would be a bit weird having a baby so low at the back and they get a terrible view!

The quinnys are pretty impressive too and definitely worth a look at.
    I bought a maxi cosi mura 4 in the end and it is heavy folded but solid and I like it though don't have the baby to put in it yet!!

I got mine from kiddicare.com they are brilliant:)

I think you need to think about the terrain the buggy will be used on,I live near the beach and roads and paths are pretty crap so I wanted inflatable wheels,I did not want a 3 wheeler,I also wanted the maxi cosi car seat to fit my buggy (safest car seat on the market apparently)
    I also went to the shops and leaned on all the buggies I liked to make sure they wouldn't topple back when I did do it in reality!some do I avoided them;)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

Moonbeam I'm thinking of ordering from kiddicare. Did they take long to deliver to you? Not due until March so was thinking of ordering in Feb. They seem to be good value :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I'm interested in selling on my quinny buzz, if anyone is interested give me a shout. I love it but it tkes up a lot of room and sadly i don't see another baby too soon!

Advertisement