Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recent Viewings

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Doomsday

Poor Mad Max homage/rip-off.Some decent gore.

I am Legend

Piss poor Omega Man remake.It just rubber stamped why I hate Will Smith movies.

God Doomsday is annoying, sounded like a great premise in the hands of a great director but next thing it turns out to be exactly what it sounded like on paper, "homage" after "homage"

I Am Legend did one bit of good, drove me to track down a copy of The Omega Man

Can't remember if I posted it here already but watched a cracking little film the other day, Splinter. Basic enough premise of a few heads trapped in a gas station as an other worldly parasitic creature attempts to break in at them. Truly disturbing amputation scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

niallon wrote: »
    Good chakra... :D

LOL yes that hippy chick was the funniest thing in the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I went to see Drag Me to Hell there last week, very enjoyable Sam Rami fare indeed. Still a little flawed in placed but OK over all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Drag Me To Hell is astounding. A modern day Evil Dead.

Finally got around to watching Splinter, thought it was pretty decent. Last night I watched Norweigen slasher Cold Prey which I thought was impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Watched Martyrs on Friday evening - what a film.. very interesting but very hard to watch in some places, the special effects were just too good! Would recommend it as an excellent horror thats also very thought provoking..

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jabbathehurt

Like horror, love Japanese film.
    So Meatball Machine gets my vote: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0820111/
    full of japanese strangeness in the vein of Tetsuo the Iron Man. Influenced by the likes of Bad Taste and Evil Dead, while the story is uniquely japanese. Cheesy costumes and special effects and low budget only add to the appeal. One of the highlights of the current wave of japanese gore films.
    Some other japanese hightlights are Wildzero http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267116/ punk band save the world from zombies) and Battle Royale http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/(an extreme lord of the flies) Appologies if they are obvious choice but I havent seen them mentioned on this thread.
    Midnight Meat Train has been talked about on the thread for those of you that don't know it was directed by one of my favorite directors Ryuhei Kitamura

On a sidenote I picked it up in Hmv but only had a bbfc certificate, no Irish Film Board certificate. Some pretty graphic scenes in it but seems completely uncut, unsual for a japanese film released over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Watched Das Komabrutale Duell last night.Its an absolutely insane German splatter film from Heiko Fipper.Low budget,cheesey effects but highly enjoyable.Kinda reminiscent of Brain Dead or Bad Taste.
    Here's some scenes from it.Obviously NSFW.

Also watched Men Behind the Sun 3 : A Narrow Escape.
    Very unimpressed with this one.It basically stole a crap load of footage from part 2(Labaratory of the Devil) and spliced it in flashback style with new footage about Japanese soldiers at the end of the war.Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

2 I watched there a few nights ago. These are both part of a triple boxset

Warlock Moon

This is a film I would never have seen if it weren't in this boxset. It's a strange and slow little film. There's not much to recommend in it. Scares are low and there is very little gore or killings in it at all really. Stil I kinda liked it. It hard a strange charm to it and a few twists while hardly mind blowing kept things moving.

Man From Deep River

I find it strange that films like this and Slave of the Cannibal God and Cannibal Holocaust have such production values. Once again these are films that should be crap but they invariably manage to suck me in. There's nothing particularly special about this one. The start of the film is actually all over the place and leaves you wondering whats going on before he sets out on his Photo Expedition. There's very little cannibalism in this but alot of animal cruelty. If you don't like that stuff steer clear as there are scenes of monkeys, snakes, cockrels and alligators, to name a few, being killed for little reason. The film ends up being more of a love story so it'll probably turn off the more hardcore of you. For the most part it's a good and well made film that if your curious is worth a look. Not groundbreaking or controversial for much else.

Advertisement