Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tie Your Runner Down - A Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Today called for a rest day but it was too nice, so I took the tri bike out for a spin up Howth Hill. Went up the village (hard) side, it was TOUGH! Plenty of wind allround but thoroughly enjoyable, the bike was spinning great too.
    13.5 miles or so.
    And then Torres et al did the business against Man Utd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Where's your race report, waiting :cool:

On a seperate note I hate the pool with a passion :p

No stats from the garmin, again a sign of bad prep (and tall buildings). Although looking back it's another reason to be happy with the time, did it on "feel"

Mini report here, not much else to add without the data to back it up. Great race though, Macmillan has me down for a 3:12 marathon at yesterday's pace (19:47), although given my lack of mileage it's extremely hypothetical.

I think yesterday is actually the first time I've felt like a "runner" as opposed to a "jogger", wearing Martin Lel's racing flats helped there too - no excuses if he can run London in 2:05 in them!

Next race up is the Great Ireland Run, wonder can I creep under 40 for that given only a few weeks extra training, and I'll be missing ca. 5-6 days on various trips....

5m @ 7:57 pace.

Amazing evening for a run, went out with one of the lads from the football team. Flew by, stomach felt a bit dodge at the start but settled down. Legs felt fine after the race, another reason to love those slightlly shorter distances.

7.25 miles @ 7:51 pace.
    After an enforced hungover/rest day yesterday I had to do something this evening.
    Mad night for a run, the Northside is covered with a thick fog, like something out of the twilight zone! Nice evening, ran with a buddy form the football team.
    I was tired when I got home after work but a power nap and I was ready to go again soon after.
    Some amount of runners out there recently, anyone else notice this? Along the coast there were lots and lots, it's really getting popular this year I find. Can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement

3.3m @ 7:43 run to training with the backpack.

Tough training session, couldn't give it 100% as my knee is a bit "twinge-y". It's like there a little needle prick when it bends at a certain point. Good session tonight though, 20 people down - most ever! We were given our new high tech adidas (Rovers branded) training tops in anticipation for the biggest game of the season - Cup Semi Final on Sunday.
    We beat our opponents 4-3 last time out, but we have 1 or 2 injuries. It'll be tough. Don't think I'll get any running in in the meantime, need to ice the knee some more over the weekend.

Fri 20th Mar AM: Weights session early doors. Feel refreshed.

Sat 21st Mar: Weights in the afternoon pre-a massive day in sport!

Sun 22nd Mar: Quick cycle loop of the Hill of howth with a buddy. Pedestrian pace due to match int he afternoon.
    Semi final of the Cup, we lost 1-0. All over the opposition, a quick ball over the top and that was us done. Its the bitterest feeling when that happens, we were by far the better side. We're in the Herald but I'm not sure I want to buy it! I got 20 mins at the end. Crazy thing with the football, even though I was only on for 20 mins I was still tired after. Whatever way the adrenaline or the huge increase in tempo hits you...

Mon 23rd Mar: few exercises in the morning. PM: 5.45 miles @ 8:22. With a buddy who hasn't run in a while, beautiful route along Dollymount and through St Anne's Park in the dark. Only the city to guide us along most of the way. Knee still quite sore, I'll get one ot eh lads to take alook at it tomorrow - he's a physio. Messy few days training, heading on a lads weekend to Madrid Fri morn so that's another few days gone. The Great Ireland run won't be near sub 40 by the looks of it....

Wow - a week since I done anything proper...:o

The knee wasn't feeling great last week, then we had a 4 day lads long weekend in Madrid....:D

Tues 31st Mar: 3m @ 7.59 pace to training and an indoor session. Just played a match. Only 10 there but it was prob the funnest session I've had all year. We were all up for it and we basically kicked legal lumps out of each other, nice and tense! Plenty of bruises this morning.
    Knee wrecked at the end - it's right on the inside behind the knee cap. Our default physio says it's really tough to get at without a good rubdown...

Wed 1st Apr: Weights AM

3.2m @ 7.48 pace to training

Savage training session after the run, lots and lots of sprints in all different forms. Big gmae of Sunday, feel a bit bad leaving the lads in teh lurch to run the GIR. I'll go down in the morning, if they really REALLY need me (i.e. short on numbers), I'll be playing.
    Otherwise looking forward to Sunday, hope to get a decent run in this evening and take it relatively easy tomorrow

100 posts :D

Just back from the Science Gallery @ TCD, they're running a 2-day fitness themed programme where you can get your figures in different areas:

So here's me in numbers!
    Height: 191cm
    Weight: 85kg
    BMI: 23 (in the middle of the healthy zone)
    Fat %: 12.7 (quite good)
    Reach: 24cm (OK)
    Vertical Jump: 42cm (hmmm not great)
    VO2 max: 54 (again OK, could be better)

There was also a spinning class there, 45 mins on the bike was tough going! HR average was 148 though which was pretty low.

Overall great fun, they had the winner of the Connemarathon getting his lactate and VO2 measures. He got up to 21km/h for 3 minutes at his peak - some performance!!!

• Advertisement

7.8m @ 8.16 pace
    Nice run out to Howth village from Raheny (via the South hill - the long one). Didn't push tooo hard before tomorrow's race, although I still think I'll feel it in the legs. Enjoyable.

Brian Christensen 5441 2097 1332 1806 1129 00:50:45

Hmm, not much to report. Subtracting the 1min / km for being horrifically hungover it's a new PB!!!! Great race, crowds, day etc but I was home at 4am the night before so I decided just to plod around with a couple of mates.
    Enjoyable day nonetheless, got a rubdown after which was great too :D

Wed 8th Apr
    Hasn't been the greatest week in terms of motivation, but got out for a nice 5miler @x.xx pace last nt. The Garmin was dead, I actually paused a split second to think could I run without it!!!!

Thurs 9th Apr
    Weight AM

3m @ 7:50 followed by a good training session. Although my touch was mimssing to say the least. At 26 1/2 yrs I feel like my footballing career has finally peaked!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Time to give up that football lark, it doesn't seem to be very conductive to running with injuries and what not and when you do retire from football you can tell stories of your brilliance and how you never reached your potential (because of early retirement) just ask babybing I gave him some ear full a couple of weeks back :D

I think you're right Wod, although maybe if I knew I had genuine natural running talent I'd give it a lot more serious thought. In saying that I would like to be the one passing you on the home straight some day :pac:

Fri 10th Apr
    5 early miles @ 8:21 pace. St. Anne's Park really is a beautiful place at that time in the morning. There was a heron (I think) sitting on a rock in the middle of the pond, just chillin' like! Nice fresh morning, legs felt pretty good.

And now the Easter madness begins....have a cousin arriving over from Denmark to visit so won't be doping much for the next few days...

10m @ 7.55 pace
    Refreshing morning around Clontarf, along Dollymount and home. Garmin here

didn't kill myself but felt pretty strong throughout, its nice to run off some of the Easter indulgence. And with all this talk of chocolate milk as a recovery drink, surey a pint of milk and some Easter egg will do the same job!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

A nice run for a Bank Holiday monday. And that garmin player is the business.

^ Yeah I certainly enjoyed yesterday

Mon 13th Apr PM
    Weights in the garage. Have recently moved my vinyl player in here too, doin' a few weights while listening to Frampton Comes Alive on vinyl is a good way to finish off a BH wknd!

Tues 14th Apr AM
    5.1m @ 7.52 pace
    My buddy has just started his 6 wk study leave, so he's determined to get into shape. With most ppl you'd just say, "I'll believe you when I see it", but this guy is very determined so we've set out a bit of a schedule. We'll each head out to the other persons hse every 2nd day to go for an early morning run. He's an ex-4.40 miler from college although wouldn't be in the best of shape now. He'll soon get himself back though. So 5 early miles around Raheny, tomorrow a trip out to Portmarnock Beach awaits...
    Football training tonight so will miss the start of the 'pool match, and by match I mean miraculous comeback :eek:

Tues 14th Apr PM
    Rovers training session. Tough, back on the grass for the first time since Oct I think. Sprints, push-ups, sit-ups, match. Enjoyable, felt pretty strong at the end.
    Unfortunately the 'pool match didn't go as planned, I might throw a sneaky few €€ on Utd tonight, they should cruise to a victory...

Wed 15th Apr
    4.4m @ 8.34 pace
    Early AM recovery run with my buddy along Portmarnock strand. Windy, damp yet enjoyable. Legs felt pretty heavy throughout on the sand though - they'll enjoy the rest tonight!

• Advertisement

Thurs 16th Apr
    3m run toi training. Of course when we got there the place was empty (astrp pitches) as the schools were off. I think I needed the rest anyway.
    Was also down with the Shamrocks, there was supposed to be a 1 mile race but it was changed to the day before. Nice lads, told them I'll have to head out on a training run with them next week. This could be the start of a beautiful romance!

Fri 17th Apr
    5m @ 8.12 pace
    5 early morning miles with my buddy around Raheny. Legs pretty heavy but you can't beat a 6.20AM run to start the day. At least now I can head into the early part of the weekend with a half decent weeks training in the body.

10m @ 8.18 pace

10 miles around Portmarnock with my buddy. Being pretty hungover I was just happy to get something done, even if I feel like I'm in distinctly "junkish" territory. Nice evening, if a bit chilly on the extremities.

A good week - 38m + 1 football training sesh + 1 weights sesh. Let's hope this week is as good.
    Plan tonight is to head out with the Raheny Shamrocks for a 10 miler after work, then 5m every morn and training Tues / Thurs. I don't like making too many plans for the weekend!!!

Mon 20th Apr
    5m @ 7:18 pace
    Went out with the Shamrocks this evening. They essentially planned a couple of laps around St . Anne's Park. Tough pace from the outset, on soft grass. The middle 3 miles were around 7:05 avg which really took it outta the legs, so I only completed the one lap. Still, nice to get out with some proper runners an gave me a taste of what's required. I'll be back!
    Recovered quickly, so did a few weights later in the evening.

Tues 21st Apr AM
    5 early miles @ 8.04 pace with my buddy around the Park and along Dollymount Beach. Legs felt good after yesterday and the morning was glorious. Football training later.

Tues 21st Apr PM
    Football training session inc: sprints, sit-ups and match. Enjoyable, felt strong throughout in the great weather.

Wed 22nd Apr
    An early 4.6m @ 8.20 pace around Portmarnock village and Beach. With my buddy who is getting stronger every day, nice to have the motivation to wake up knowing you won't be on your own. Might head out for something later as he wants to take tomorrow morn off, I'll see how the legs feel. This weather is mighty tempting!

Thurs 23rd Apr
    Football training, plenty of sprints and circuits with a little match at the end. Felt fresh although the rain made grip on the astro non-existent.

Fri 24th Apr
    An early 5m @ 7:57 pace around the Raheny 5 route with my running buddy. He's getting stronger all the time which is good. We'll prob do a 12-14m LSR tomorrow if I can stay sober tonight...

10.7 miles @ 8.15 pace with my buddy. Desperately hungover, which is a great leveller for my buddy and I as he's not quite up to my speed yet. Smashing evening for a run, we went out to Sutton X and parked at the Marine Hotel. From here went up the easy side and around Howth loop. Then out past Sutton into Baldoyle, looped back again through Sutton X and a little loop through Offington. No internet at home right now so can't get the stats up, but a tough run overall.

5m @ 7:49 pace.
    Early spin around Malahide / Portmarnock with my buddy. Chilly but legs felt fresh and we pushed it a bit in the second half, there was even a sneaky 7:08 half mile in there somewhere. Enjoyable, leg felt good after being totally out of action yesterday, I think the steep downhill through Howth village on Saturday's LSR really hit my thighs hard.

5.45m @ 7:56 pace.
    Nice run this morning with Greg, around Dollymount before the heavy rain came out. Mini taper for the race on Saturday, it would be nice to go near 32 - McMillan has me @ 32:47 from my last 5k time (19:47). So I'll prob just do a few weights tomorrow morning, football training session tomorrow PM and then take a rest day Friday.

33:40 finish.
    Nice day / race / organisation. Should have ran faster, ended up at an ex-xolleagues leaving bash until the wee hours of Thurs morn, combined with a long day in the golf course Fri meant the legs never felt 100% fresh. Still it's a PB, felt with optimal prep could have comfortably gone sub 33. Nice to meet a few more of the Boardies, great performances lads! Also, have to say I found the 4 laps mentally tough. The fact that I was knacked after the 2nd probably didn't help!
    Garmin

• Advertisement

6.85m @ 7:55pace, inc 2x1m tempo (7:05 headwind, 6:33 tailwind). Decent sesh after being out til 4AM the night before
    Garmin
    HR got all the way up to 174, probably still feeling the effects of the RTE race the day before...

Advertisement