Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one from Mallow?

Options
  • 08-10-2008 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Interested to know if anyone is from Mallow?

I've recently moved to Mallow myself so just getting to know my way around. Also done some local publicity, be useful to know if you have seen it about the place.

Any recommendations, places to go, pubs/restaurants?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Hiya, I'm from the country about 11 km from Mallow.

I'll be honest, I don't go to pubs or restaurants much. There are 4 Chinese restaurants, I've been to three of them. Food wise, the nicest imo is Jumbo's on Shortcastle. Though The Welcome (which is up a lane off the main street) has a nicer atmosphere.
    There's also an Indian (which I've been to once and was fairly nice) and a Thai restaurant which is fairly recent.
    If you're looking for non-ethnic restaurants, there's O'Callaghan's at the end of the main street. Been there once, it was alright but nothing special. My sister goes there regularly though and loves it.
    There's also places called Essink and Bayleaf, which are also fairly recent. Never been to either though.
    If it's fast food you're after, there are three great takeaways - The Kentucky, The European and Downtown. The three are very close together - Downtown and The European are right across the road from each other! I'd recommend trying them all, though my personal favourite is The European.

Pubs - the largest is Marakibo. It's always packed at the weekends but there's a nice atmosphere around the place and they have live music.
    Clubs - the only real 'club' is Light on Chapel Lane. I'm not a big fan because I'm not into dance music (and it costs 7 or 8 Euro to get in) but for what it is, it's grand.
    There's also Chasers, which is more of a late bar than a club. It tends to have an older crowd than Marakibo but it's pretty nice inside.

If you're stuck for ideas for nights out in Mallow, there's always the Gate cinema in Market Square.

Um....not sure what else to say. Tbh I don't know the town as well as I should. Mallow has a bit of a bad reputation, but it's a nice enough town in general. Just watch out for Drunk Jimmy! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Cork Local

Thanks square_igloo -lots of info in your post.

I'll keep my eye out for Jimmy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Cheers for the info - I'm thinking of moving to Mallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

kinda off topic but how long would it take to drive from mallow to cork city at about 10pm??

It usually takes my Dad between 35-40 minutes to go from Mallow to Cork, although you might get there quicker because he's a fairly slow driver. Also, at 10pm there wouldn't be much traffic, so it shouldn't take you much more than a half an hour.
    I'll keep my eye out for Jimmy!!
    Lol you can't miss him! He's rather loud, and yells incomprehensible babble at people who pass. He's harmless, though - if you just walk past, he won't go after you or anything. In fact, I've seen some people stand and chat with him for a few minutes!

Also, I want to fix a mistake I made in my original post:
    There's also Chasers, which is more of a late bar than a club. It tends to have an older crowd than Marakibo Light but it's pretty nice inside.
    I should have said "Light" instead of "Marakibo". :o

• Advertisement

That time of night you would get into Cork in about 25-30 mins. I travel early in the morning (about 6am) I would guess it would be similar in terms of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Hiya, I'm from the country about 11 km from Mallow.

I'll be honest, I don't go to pubs or restaurants much. There are 4 Chinese restaurants, I've been to three of them. Food wise, the nicest imo is Jumbo's on Shortcastle. Though The Welcome (which is up a lane off the main street) has a nicer atmosphere.
    There's also an Indian (which I've been to once and was fairly nice) and a Thai restaurant which is fairly recent.
    If you're looking for non-ethnic restaurants, there's O'Callaghan's at the end of the main street. Been there once, it was alright but nothing special. My sister goes there regularly though and loves it.
    There's also places called Essink and Bayleaf, which are also fairly recent. Never been to either though.
    If it's fast food you're after, there are three great takeaways - The Kentucky, The European and Downtown. The three are very close together - Downtown and The European are right across the road from each other! I'd recommend trying them all, though my personal favourite is The European.

Pubs - the largest is Marakibo. It's always packed at the weekends but there's a nice atmosphere around the place and they have live music.
    Clubs - the only real 'club' is Light on Chapel Lane. I'm not a big fan because I'm not into dance music (and it costs 7 or 8 Euro to get in) but for what it is, it's grand.
    There's also Chasers, which is more of a late bar than a club. It tends to have an older crowd than Marakibo but it's pretty nice inside.

If you're stuck for ideas for nights out in Mallow, there's always the Gate cinema in Market Square.

Um....not sure what else to say. Tbh I don't know the town as well as I should. Mallow has a bit of a bad reputation, but it's a nice enough town in general. Just watch out for Drunk Jimmy! ;)

Don't forget the Hibernian if you want horrible food or try the Roundabout Inn for decent pub grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i'm a good bit outside it also but there are plenty of scumbags around. a lot of bad **** goes down in mallow. maybe i'm just a sour old bastard but i wouldn't hang around there late at night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Lived there for 2.5 years and can't say I miss it now that we've moved. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I'm just in the process of moving outside mallow and was lokoing online about cafes etc and theres an amazing looking place called Urru, it's a cafe, deli, wine merchant, farm shop, kitchen store and centre for cookery classes and workshops in slow food and other green isuues. Seems to be reccommended by loads of food critics and has the georgina campell logo. Supposidly great coffee and gourmet sandwhiches!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

must go in there someday. Depending on your postcount . Im using my mobile right now so i cant see

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

20 minutes to blackpool at your ease

Never been to Urru myself, but yeah it's meant to be really nice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

nice yes,but a little expensive,in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 goldenb

I heard there was a new thai resaturant in mallow and i cant find the phone number anywhere. Was wondering if you knew the name or preferable the number.

I live in west cork but meeting a friend in Mallow at weekend.
    would be greatful for your help

goldenb wrote: »
    I heard there was a new thai resaturant in mallow and i cant find the phone number anywhere. Was wondering if you knew the name or preferable the number.

I live in west cork but meeting a friend in Mallow at weekend.
    would be greatful for your help

The White Deer - formerly did pub grub and was a normal restaurant afaik. I'll PM you the number.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

where is this urru cafe? I'm living outside Mallow all my life, never heard of it.

there is also the wild goose for food, on the way out of town heading to dromahane, and cork. don't forget all the fast food places, like Apache Pizza, Supermacs, McDonalds, Downtown chipper, etc

where is this urru cafe? I'm living outside Mallow all my life, never heard of it.

there is also the wild goose for food, on the way out of town heading to dromahane, and cork. don't forget all the fast food places, like Apache Pizza, Supermacs, McDonalds, Downtown chipper, etc

It's kind of hidden away behind another building. It's near Bank Of Ireland - if you go there, you'll prob. see a sign for it.

btw rebel girl 15, I think I know you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

It's tucked into the small courtyard just before the B of I on the right.
    It's a sort of a organic/culinary shop and cafe.
    The wife was in the other day and has a sandwich which she said was good but expensive!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

yeah, square igloo - you do!

I know the place now that you say, never been there though

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    Don't forget the Hibernian if you want horrible food or try the Roundabout Inn for decent pub grub.

Ah, the Hi-B isn't that bad. If you just order a plate of chips, you'll be grand.
    Only had a proper dinner there once, and it was grand. Nothing spectacular, but certainly edible.

Never been to the Roundabout Inn - my family never go to pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

towel401 wrote: »
    i'm a good bit outside it also but there are plenty of scumbags around. a lot of bad **** goes down in mallow. maybe i'm just a sour old bastard but i wouldn't hang around there late at night

I moved to Mallow two years ago and could'nt be happier there. I have being out a few times in Mallow and have to say i have never seen any hassle.

OP, there are plenty of shops, pubs etc. Checkout the lodge in Ballyellis..5 min drive from Mallow. Lovely pub especially around Xmas..open fire, bige xmas tree and good live music from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

They appear to be closing down on the 24th. Was there this weekend and they were selling of stuff at 30-50% off.

Yeah, I heard from someone that Urru is going. It is a shame, because Mallow could do with a place like that. And I always said I'd call there, but never actually went. :(

There were always two major obstacles to Urru being successful - price (apparently it is very expensive) and location (hidden away behind Bank Of Ireland and some other shop)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Miss Nell

I luv the food in the Gallery. Not too fond of the carvery at lunchtime but the evening menu is really nice and the prices are quite reasonable too. Make sure you leave room for dessert though...it's worth going there just for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I also heard O'Callaghans is closing on Christmas Eve too! Must say if you travel out the road to Ballyhea to Corbett Court, nice 25 euro 4 course dinner on offer there sometimes, have the cheesecake as its gorgeous!
    Urru is also in Bandon, surpruised they are closing as they are very well known country wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

Shame that Callaghan's is closing as it was a great place. Urru closing too is a shame but it was on the cards by all accounts.

Essink is a great place for food and the Gallery has the prize for best pub grub with a lovely atmosphere - great music sometimes and the staff is fantastic.

The Old Fiddle has reopened! I did my happy dance when I heard and went in over the weekend and it was great. Tiny tiny pub but great for music and a real country pub feel. Everyone knows each other and sing songs start randomly.

Murphys or "The Hawks" as it's known locally is also a great pub. It's beside Callaghan's. Can be a little strange going in there for the first time but it's had great theme nights. Elvis Lives was one of them.. Place was bouncing.

Mona's/Sheehans/Black Lamb is another great pub for music. Bayleaf Restaurant is upstairs but i've never been myself.

I was living away from Mallow for a while but i'm delighted to be back.

excellent, good to hear The Old Fiddle has reopened. Wasn't sure what the story was there, it has been closed for a least 6 months (?) had assumed it had gone for good - is it new management?

I'll try and get in there for a pint or two at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭arac

Im glad to hear that mallow has gotten such positive reviews, I grew up there and have very found memories of the place, all the names of pubs such as the fiddle etc, bring back fond memories of sing songs surrounded by a nice gang of people.. I chuckled when I read about the 'Elvis Lives' night in the Hawks! The Kentucky hands down best chips you will find anywhere!! Whenever I do go home, Im often dissapointed driving down through the town, particularly as you go down through bridge street, and the state of the buildings and general dilipidation..I always thought the clock house was a beautiful builidng worthy of full restorartion, yet its just left to sit there and decay..if restored it could really provide a focal point for the town and be a landmark to be proud of..It could house an art gallery or an artisan coffess shop or surely be put to some better use!! otherwise mallow is a great spot and there are days when I miss it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

Yeah, the Olde Fiddle is back for a year - under new management who are lovely. Bouncer at the door now which is a little strange but I think it'll just be while they establish themselves. Christmas Eve was hectic but great craic - going out the back for the loo and then coming back in an hour later after talking to every single person in the pub before getting to your seat again - some things never change!

As far as I know, most of the buildings around the Clock House are up for demolition and the Clock House itself is getting a total refurb - compliments of the Council. But at least finally something will be done. It's an absolute disgrace as it is.

If only they would take those apartments on Bridge Street now the end of town would look a whole lot better - when they finally finish the flood relief works finish!!

It's good to be home - but now I may be moving back to Dublin.. oh the joys.. lol

Advertisement