Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

JohnCleary wrote: »
    In fairness how the hell does he expect ANYONE to believe that???

Won't be long until he gets the new nickname "Comical Cowen" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

Don't forget there's a LIDL in Newry too. Expect to save about €40 to €50 on a big basket full of groceries compared to LIDL in the republic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

bush Baby wrote: »
    Don't forget there's a LIDL in Newry too. Expect to save about €40 to €50 on a big basket full of groceries compared to LIDL in the republic

To be fair there is not much difference in the prices between Lidl in Ireland and in NI. The reason is that LIDL NI belongs to LIDL Ireland, and is NOT run by LIDL UK.

Lidl in NI is significantly more expensive then LIDL in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

DonJose wrote: »
    1210791.jpg

good job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Thinkin bout heading up on saturday. Going to leave at about 8am for newry. Surely it will be ok at this time wont it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

If I were you, I'd leave to be there for 8am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Slunk wrote: »
    Thinkin bout heading up on saturday. Going to leave at about 8am for newry. Surely it will be ok at this time wont it?

Could be touch and go, with the mass exodus from the south and confrontations that you will meet in the carparks.Could be wise to read up on Zombie survival guide for tips on how to get there and back in one piece......It's ever man for themselves when Smirnoff 1L are going so cheap!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a vodka drinker. A Bud man, although sometimes it's easier saying your teetotal on boards for the slack you get(p**s water and all that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I have to say ..

I'm astonished at what I interpret to be the the fixation by some posters at the price of vodka, and the quantities claimed to be bought.

That's all - I'm not looking to pass judgment on vodka buyers and drinkers. It's just an eye opener for me at how high some people place the cost of a 1 litre bottle on their list of priorities.

FWIW, it's beer & wine in our house - she takes the occasional G&T.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Does anybody know if there is a fitness/gym type shop in either Newry or Banbridge? Im looking to buy a home gym set up and some olympic bar bells etc. Most of the ones on the argos uk website are home delivery so I cant get one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

gazzer wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there is a fitness/gym type shop in either Newry or Banbridge? Im looking to buy a home gym set up and some olympic bar bells etc. Most of the ones on the argos uk website are home delivery so I cant get one there.

Theres a JJB in Merchants Quay, Newry. Not sure of any others in Newry or Banbridge other than independants that I wouldn't know of off hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Slunk wrote: »

We went up there 2 weekends ago on Saturday. Left the house (Dublin) just before 8am. Got to the roundabout just outside Newry at about 8:50am and then took 40 minutes to get to the Quays carpark. The carpark was not full, but getting there. I would leave about 7:30am at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Whats the best way of paying, Credit Card or take out Eur in Northern Ireland?

Thanks

Moanin wrote: »

Thanks

There's no hard and fast rule. In general, let it go onto your CC as sterling. In general, don't let them put it on your CC as EUR.

If they're offering you EUR 1 = GBP 1, bite their arm off and take that deal ;) !

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

Moanin wrote: »

Thanks

Bring euros with you,take advantage of the stores offering £1/€1 ,for the others id just use the cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I was up north shopping a couple of weeks back and got my CC statement yesterday, on each transaction there is a a line underneath that says- 'Includes a currency conversion fee of 2.75%' I have never seen this before and checked old statements from last summer when I was away and it didn't appear, I wonder are the CC companies are looking to get extra charges? I rang to query them and was told it was standard practice.

sideswipe wrote: »
    I was up north shopping a couple of weeks back and got my CC statement yesterday, on each transaction there is a a line underneath that says- 'Includes a currency conversion fee of 2.75%' I have never seen this before and checked old statements from last summer when I was away and it didn't appear, I wonder are the CC companies are looking to get extra charges? I rang to query them and was told it was standard practice.

AFAIK, that charge has been there since Euro changeover. It is only recently that they've shown it seperately on the statements. Also, IIRC, it is included in the terms and conditions.

http://www.itsyourmoney.ie/creditcardcomparison

"In addition to the non-euro purchases/withdrawals fee, some institutions may apply a further fee where an agency is used for currency conversion"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Rod & Reel

lads lassies, plan on leaving dublin on sat morning at 7am but not sure as to where to go to get what we need. sainsburys tesco asda. first off. then what we need is the usual months supply and extra festive goodies. we plan on buying some beer and spirts (hopefully they'll last till crimbo) also we need to buy some electrical stuff so some where with a currys or similar.
    i seen some posts say lisburn others saying newry so if anyone knows where i can find all in the one place could let me know please.

gazzer wrote: »

For something like that I'd buy off a UK wholesaler and you could save yourself a pile of cash. Look in www.yell.com for gym suppliers

Rod & Reel wrote: »
    lads lassies, plan on leaving dublin on sat morning at 7am but not sure as to where to go to get what we need. sainsburys tesco asda. first off. then what we need is the usual months supply and extra festive goodies. we plan on buying some beer and spirts (hopefully they'll last till crimbo) also we need to buy some electrical stuff so some where with a currys or similar.
    i seen some posts say lisburn others saying newry so if anyone knows where i can find all in the one place could let me know please.

Head to North Newry, avoid the town and get up during the week. Go onto the Belfast road and there on the right hand side about 1KM up, there's a place called ANJO wines, they're a wholesaler but call first to make sure about payment. On the way you'll ppass a McDonalds at Damolly Retail Park. there's a Curry's in there

Rod & Reel wrote: »

There's no ASDA in Newry or Lisburn (Sprucefield). I doubt that any town in NI could sustain all 3 of those chains, outside of Belfast or Derry. Some may have two of the three.

Lisburn town centre may have TESCO & ASDA, with Sprucefield for Sainsburys, but you'd probably need SatNav to pilot between the 3 locations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 stacka

TarfHead wrote: »
    There's no ASDA in Newry or Lisburn (Sprucefield). I doubt that any town in NI could sustain all 3 of those chains, outside of Belfast or Derry. Some may have two of the three.

Lisburn town centre may have TESCO & ASDA, with Sprucefield for Sainsburys, but you'd probably need SatNav to pilot between the 3 locations.

coleraine has all 3 though would be too far north for most peoples purposes

derry and belfast are closer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

stacka wrote: »
    coleraine has all 3 though would be too far north for most peoples purposes

derry and belfast are closer
    No ASDA in Derry. Strabane ftw. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Rod & Reel - first of all I'd aim to be heading to the north and arriving at 8am, parked up and go looking a cafe. Newry is a great place but the problem is parking. You have the Quays and Buttercrane - you'll find yourself wandering from one to the other so check them out online first. Both places provide free parking and it gets jammed. the quays has a superb cinema, sainsburys and other such places - buttercrane has loads of small shops. Newry actually has great shops in the town - there is a place called Murphys Electronics or something like that - they can be talked to and will do a deal. Beside the canal court hotel there are other small shops and off-licenses. Out at the 5-way roundabout there is B&Q, Curry's and other places.

However be aware - the north shops know you are coming and may up their prices a bit - your here so you'll buy.

Sprucfield is ok - but limited.
    Portadown - rushmere is a huge complex but you'd better check it out online first for the type of shops. Be there early as the queues into are quite unreal.
    Belfast - Victoria centre, castlecourt but you'd have to do your grocery shopping on the way home somewhere else.
    Armagh - has some decent spots but is suffering from years of poor council leadership. However it is a nice place and you can visit the ecclesiastical capital of Ireland and there are some great food places. I'd recommend Sainsburys and Emersons for your booze & grocery - electrics not so sure on.

Personally Newry is a great place but when its hard to park its a nightmare - like every else.

They say Ballymena and such places are great but I'd be wary of travelling that far north.
    Some of the norths small towns along the border will barter and deal.

In any event anyone travelling from south to the north enjoy the day and the range of accents!!!!! Leave early, spend plenty and worry much, much later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Im heading up in the morning to Newry first then over to The Outlet..Planning on leaving early enough but unlike most here i wont be heading up on saturday or sunday.

Think about all of the publicity the north got this week vat etc...Will be thousands more heading up at the weekend.Leave early guys and gals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Question for anyone whos been up to Newry recently on a Sunday, what time should I aim to get there at. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Rod & Reel

bush Baby wrote: »
    Head to North Newry, avoid the town and get up during the week. Go onto the Belfast road and there on the right hand side about 1KM up, there's a place called ANJO wines, they're a wholesaler but call first to make sure about payment. On the way you'll ppass a McDonalds at Damolly Retail Park. there's a Curry's in there

thanks b baby

• Registered Users Posts: 45,953 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Redpunto wrote: »
    Question for anyone whos been up to Newry recently on a Sunday, what time should I aim to get there at. Cheers
    Someone else will confirm this but AFAIK the shops dont open until 12 (or maybe its 10?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just saw on Sky news that a lot of the major retailers are dropping prices already, for the upcoming reduction in VAT on the 1st Dec. :D

We've decided to head to Sprucefield and we'll see how it turns out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Redpunto wrote: »

Don't under any circumstances go on a Sunday as you will likely spend 3 or 4 hours Q'ing, the shops open their doors at 12 but are not allowed sell goods until 1pm, to say it will be insane up there on a sunday is putting it very very mildly. If you only want to go to Sainsburys I would recommend going on a weekday evening instead, they open until 10pm during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

does anyone know if there's an asda in armagh? google maps says 1 1/2 hrs from dublin. i heard there was one but asda.com doesn't list one in armagh.
    (i don't do sainsbury's :p)

Advertisement