Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Distribution costs and distributors making more money. Its more strong beer than all beer that's lower here.

Some products are also stronger here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Is banbridge outlet store worth a visit?
    How does it compare to Kildare village? Heading up Monday and will be stopping off in both and buttercrane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Is banbridge outlet store worth a visit?
    How does it compare to Kildare village? Heading up Monday and will be stopping off in both and buttercrane

It wouldn't be as good as Kildare Village. I find the Gap Outlet there to be pretty good and last time I was up they had 50% off everything. They also have an M&S, a Clarks and a large Nike store which can be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

nc6000 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be as good as Kildare Village. I find the Gap Outlet there to be pretty good and last time I was up they had 50% off everything. They also have an M&S, a Clarks and a large Nike store which can be good.

Also go to the visitors centre they have a discount booklet with a variety of offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

consumer exchange rate now gone past 1.22 if using regular visa/mastercard cards.

Cash exchange rate is almost 1.25

Considering that at 1.30 the northern cars were coming south, I would suspect its now close to equilibrium overall. (yes there will always be specific products that will have differences)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Walter2016 wrote: »
    consumer exchange rate now gone past 1.22 if using regular visa/mastercard cards.

Cash exchange rate is almost 1.25

Considering that at 1.30 the northern cars were coming south, I would suspect its now close to equilibrium overall. (yes there will always be specific products that will have differences)

The euro has been weakening ahead of the expected result of this weekend's Italian referendum and expected resulting resignation of the Italian PM. If this doesn't come to pass, the euro should rebound on Monday.

In any case, folk should stick to Revolut to get the best exchange rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Sainsburys in Armagh Euro exchange rate 0.83 Friday night at 8.30pm, Sainburys in Newry 30 minutes later was 0.825 :eek:.
    Girl on till was astonished the same supermarket chain had different exchange rates.
    Guessing they don't have many ROI punters in Armagh hence the higher rate.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Sainsburys in Armagh Euro exchange rate 0.83 Friday night at 8.30pm, Sainburys in Newry 30 minutes later was 0.825 :eek:.
    Girl on till was astonished the same supermarket chain had different exchange rates.
    Guessing they don't have many ROI punters in Armagh hence the higher rate.

The official mid market rate moved from .8432 to .8380 from 5.30pm to 8.30pm on Friday. (US market doesn't close til 9pm)
    So if rates were updated every 3 hours (plausible) a change from .83 before 9pm to .825 after 9pm would have been correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Maybe but not in this case as cashier said it had been that rate all day.
    There's no way a supermarket would change a rate during the day (apart from something as extreme as a devaluation) as they would have signs up and tills configured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

So savings can still be made on alcohol it seems.
    Where would people recommend for a booze run, newry/Enniskillen/Belfast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭elainerut

Any shops offering £ 4 €..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

elainerut wrote:

90p is the best I've seen lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

elainerut wrote: »

Jack & jones in quays and buttercrane offering it, that's only place I seen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rate is far too bad for it to be widespread

Needs to be at least 90p before it becomes common; closer to 95p before supermarkets do it (lower margins)

Considering the consumer rate is almost €1.25 to £1, there's not a chance of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,093 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

GBP has weakened since Dec 2016.

Mid-Dec = 83-84p.

3-Jan 2017 = 84.5p

Last Fri 13-Jan = 87.5 pence

So GBP lost 3p in about ten days.

Today = 88p approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Laura Ashley, massive savings in north compared to south. The rate is still about 1.5x here, so get up there while the sale is still on until 22nd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

Does anybody know any shops in Newry that sell the Apple watch without having to go to the Apple store in Belfast? I'll be up this weekend so hoping to treat myself to one!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Does anybody know any shops in Newry that sell the Apple watch without having to go to the Apple store in Belfast? I'll be up this weekend so hoping to treat myself to one!
    Currys?

smashey wrote: »
    Currys?

I did check there online but the one I want (rose gold) is showing as out of stock.
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a smaller store I could ring to hold one?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Argos: Is this the one?

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6015721

In the box to the right type in "Newry" and you will get locations, it will be top of a list. I just checked and it says " order now, collect immdeiately."

Argos: Is this the one?

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6015721

In the box to the right type in "Newry" and you will get locations, it will be top of a list. I just checked and it says " order now, collect immdeiately."

Thanks for that - I should have said I want the series 2! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

What's the point of getting one of these up North when Apple have increased UK prices? Try EGlobal central where you will possibly get it cheaper

Geuze wrote: »

Today, Tuesday = 86.8 pence.

The euro fell 1p in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Boatlake

I saw adverts in some shops in The Quays Newry doing £1 for €1 last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I was there last Wednesday and as an aside, they had another chunk of car park closed off while building.

DSC_0241.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Boatlake

Good special on Marlborough NZ sauvignon blanc in Sainsburys Sprucefield at £5 a bottle.

That's my favourite and I normally pay €9 to €12 down here.

Advertisement