Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start-up gear: Advice please!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I think I'm going to go for the Fenix TK11 as it looks like an excellent light that I could use on and off the bike. I'll get the bike kit to mount it to my bike and then try to find a way of mounting my existing LED (that's about the length and width of a penknife) to my helmet - any ideas? Any suggestions where I could pick up some velcro strips - am sure they'd do the job?

I'll want to get 2 Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries for the TK11 so I always have one ready to go. It seems the 18650 batteries are the way to go and I'll probably for for the pair of 2400mAh ones on this page.

Not sure if the dual bay charger on that page would do or if I should go for the Ultrafire charger which has independent channels? The dual bay package with 2 x 2200mAh batteries for £26.50 would seem to be a decent option if it would do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Just this morning I bought a MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 5-Mode Super LED Flashlight (18650) for $43.15

It's more like 600 lumens. Plan is to use it for nightime mtb in conjunction with a fenix l2d and some Ultrafire C5's I already have. At some point.

I got 4 x TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery for 20 dollars and a Digital Li-Ion 18650 Battery Charger for $8.44

Dealextreme is good, with free delivery but you do need to be cautious of stuff taking a while to get delivered or going out of stock all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Verb, do you think the brightness and flood characteristics on that MTE SSC P7 are too much for road use?

I almost burned my eyes out whilst aligning the Exposure light which arrived last night, and that has only 240 claimed lumens. (It is a thing of beauty though, cost-effectiveness aside).

Lumen wrote: »
    Verb, do you think the brightness and flood characteristics on that MTE SSC P7 are too much for road use?

I almost burned my eyes out whilst aligning the Exposure light which arrived last night, and that has only 240 claimed lumens. (It is a thing of beauty though, cost-effectiveness aside).

From what I've read, the MTE isn't particularly suitable for road use, no. It's just a massive flood of light. Handy for close range, relatively slow, technical singletrack. On road greater speeds need more focused lights with greater throw. The TK11 and your exposure light are more in that line I suspect. I'll have my fenix l2d on the helmet for the throw when going a bit faster to see ahead.

It would be interesting to compare shots of the exposure versus the TK11 alright. After a quick search, I can't find any comparison shots on the major sites. Maybe if Grimesy gets his tk11 we could do a comparison !

Verb wrote: »
    It would be interesting to compare shots of the exposure versus the TK11 alright. After a quick search, I can't find any comparison shots on the major sites. Maybe if Grimesy gets his tk11 we could do a comparison !

Indeed - a "boards lights shootout" would be interesting.

• Advertisement

Verb - have you actually gotten your hands on that dealextreme stuff and used the batteris and charger enough to know for sure that they're decent?

I've pretty much given up on dealextreme due to the sheer randomness of the quality, it's real hit and miss - some products are great bargains others are such poor quality they're not even worth $1. I bought a few cheap bike lights off them a while back but they were muck or didn't work at all. They make their customer support so much hassle I just gave up.

That said, I've rarely ordered anything over $15 from them as I thought it was too much of a risk, but if someone like yourself has a good experience with it I might give it a shot.

I've bought a few bits and pieces alright. I got an Ultrafire C3 which I was happy with, so bought a second.

I've bought one or two other small cheap torches off them too. One torch was meant to be AAA but turned out to be a CR123a. I was going to send it back, but it turned out it was more expensive, so just left it. I bought AA rechargeable batteries and charger and was happy with those.

I only ordered the 18650 stuff today though.

In general I think they are ok and you do get a refund if stuff causes trouble. The big common complaint is stuff going out of stock when ordered and long delivery times, but I haven't had that problem yet.

The price saving on the 18650 batteries and charger is so much compared to the UK places, I'm happy enough to live with the wait and take the risk. I'd probably buy the torch itself closer to home, just to save hassle.

Reckon I'll give it a shot and order a torch and some batteries off dealextreme so. Am thinking that if the torch isn't bright enough I can probably order a second one and that'll give me what I need for less than the cost of the TK11.

Will go with a 18650 torch, dx prices on those batteries and chargers seem good so will chance it (hope they have the right protections etc.).

The choice on dx is a bit overwhelming, will probably restrict it to ones that have a good few positive reviews. For cycling what should I be looking for? Was thinking 2 modes would be good and not too bulky either, but is it throw I'm looking for or a certain level of output to go for?

Verb, how did you mount your torch on your bike?

Yeah the 18650 ones seem better than AA. I did read that the Cree R2 lights don't get enough power from the 18650 batteries, so actually a Cree Q5 light works out better.

UltraFire C2 Cree Q5 5-Mode
    TrustFire TR-801 Cree Q5-WC

Those both seem decent. Romisen produce good quality stuff, so the Romisen RC-K4 3~8V Versatile Cree Flashlight (1x18650/3xAAA/2xCR123) might be a decent alternative.

Depends what sort of cycling you are doing, if you are speeding along in the pitch black at 40-50kph, then really, a TK11 is probably the best bet for a long throw and reliability. If you are going around 20-30, the others are good. Best to go for a three/5 mode one alright, so you have the option for long battery life. Pitch black at slow speeds really doesn't need very much light. Any bit of light noticeably brightens up the road.

For mounting it on the bike, I've used a Twofish Lockblock. I find it grand for on the road, haven't tried it off road. I also velcro'd the fenix to the helmet which works very well.

180px-L2dOnHelmet.jpg
    Stuck some more info on the wiki about it. Also have a look at candlepowerforums.com and mtbr.com. They both have bicycle light specific sections and there's a fair bit of discussion about dealextreme lights. http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews_18650.html is also good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

The Fenix l2d takes AA batteries if you prefer, although once you settle on a particular set of rechargable batteries and charger, it doesn't really make a difference what type they are.
    I have the L2D. Replacement AAs are cheap, so I carry 2 spare sometimes. The torch is amazing, everybody who sees it in action is shocked. I have since gotten them for 2 other people.

http://www.fenix-store.com

I got a 8% discount on all of them with this code
    CPF8
    dunno if it is still active.

They sell bike mounts now, which get dodgy reviews. I put some silicone tube over mine to cushion it against the handlebars, then I have a 6" diameter rubber ring that I use to attach it to the handlebar. I put the ring on the torch at the front of the bike, then let it hang down, now I pull it under the handle bar, and back up and loop it over the torch again.

• Advertisement

I spent some more time setting up my 240 lumen Exposure light tonight.

The biggest problem is going to be dazzling oncoming traffic. On Max mode I had to point it down significantly to avoid this (testing was limited to standing 20m in front of bike with head at normal car driver level). This slightly defeats the object of decent illumination.

The problem is that with a torch-like form factor, light spills out in all directions equally. You really want a mask (like car headlights have) to block off the top right and produce a more "considerate" beam pattern. You can tape off part of the lens cover, but unless you take the trouble orient the "torch" the same way in the clamp each time, that's not going to work very well.

Of course, you can just switch it to low every time you encounter cars, but that's a PITA (at least without using a remote switch).

Christ knows what a 1500 lumen Lupine Betty is like on the road.

Obviously this is not a consideration for trail riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I recommend a second (lighter, less expensive) lock in town as it sends the opportunistic city-centre thief on to the next, less time-consumingly secure bike.

I also recommend a buying a couple of spare tubes straight away. Always keep one in your backpack so that you can simply swap out the tubes if you get a puncture. You can repair when you get home.

If you get a puncture in town and you don't have a spare tube and (tyre levers - approx €1.50 ea), you may have to lock the bike and go back for it after work. And if you didn't have two locks, the bike might be gone. For the sake of 20 quid.

+1
    Good advice here - I would also say get a minipump for about 20€.

With raingear, you tend to get what you pay for. In dear old Erin's isle, you cannot really spend enough!

Yeah the 18650 ones seem better than AA. I did read that the Cree R2 lights don't get enough power from the 18650 batteries, so actually a Cree Q5 light works out better.

UltraFire C2 Cree Q5 5-Mode
    TrustFire TR-801 Cree Q5-WC

Those both seem decent. Romisen produce good quality stuff, so the Romisen RC-K4 3~8V Versatile Cree Flashlight (1x18650/3xAAA/2xCR123) might be a decent alternative.

Depends what sort of cycling you are doing, if you are speeding along in the pitch black at 40-50kph, then really, a TK11 is probably the best bet for a long throw and reliability. If you are going around 20-30, the others are good. Best to go for a three/5 mode one alright, so you have the option for long battery life. Pitch black at slow speeds really doesn't need very much light. Any bit of light noticeably brightens up the road.

For mounting it on the bike, I've used a Twofish Lockblock. I find it grand for on the road, haven't tried it off road. I also velcro'd the fenix to the helmet which works very well.

180px-L2dOnHelmet.jpg
    Stuck some more info on the wiki about it. Also have a look at candlepowerforums.com and mtbr.com. They both have bicycle light specific sections and there's a fair bit of discussion about dealextreme lights. http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews_18650.html is also good.

Cheers for that info Verb, I took a chance and ordered the first two you linked to from dealextreme - at that price it's no biggy if they're not the best, though I'll find use for them somewhere, my Mam is a hill walker and can always do with a spare torch.

Ordered the batteries off them aswell and a charger toom, though it seems the protection doesn't work that well and you have to take off the protection bits to get it to work. Wonder what that means in practice, does it mean the batteries can overcharge or is it to do with discharge rate?

Thanks for updating the wiki - great info there now.

I ordered one of these bike mounts from DX which will hopefully do the job. I'll try mount my other torch to my helmet, am thinking just 2 velcro straps and a lump of foam for it to get a bite on would do the job. Any ideas where to get just simple velcro straps?

Ordered the batteries off them aswell and a charger toom, though it seems the protection doesn't work that well and you have to take off the protection bits to get it to work. Wonder what that means in practice, does it mean the batteries can overcharge or is it to do with discharge rate?

Hadn't seen the stuff about the protection, I'll find out when they arrive I guess !
    Thanks for updating the wiki - great info there now.

I ordered one of these bike mounts from DX which will hopefully do the job. I'll try mount my other torch to my helmet, am thinking just 2 velcro straps and a lump of foam for it to get a bite on would do the job. Any ideas where to get just simple velcro straps?

I have two of those fenix mounts alright. They are grand, they vibrate slightly when moving and the screw parts can be fiddley when your hands are numb ! Otherwise they hold the light very securely.

Not sure about the velcro actually ! I was home one weekend and my mother had two packets of em, so I stole one. I think she got them in Lidl/Aldi during one of the specials. It's the sort of thing easons or a stationary/art store might have. You can probably get them as cable ties too. Zip ties will also do the job well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Does the TK11 definitely fit the same bike mounts as the L2D?

What is the main benefit over the L2D?

From my one night ride with Verb's L2D on the road I reckon I don't need the spot so much, it's the wide dispersed bit that was most useful.

I am tempted by the cheaper stuff on DX as well, there is just too much choice here!

Yeah, there really is a massive range, it's a bit overwhelming.

Basic stuff is stick with a Cree XR-E Q5 torch for a bit of range and battery life or a P7 LED for huge amount of floody light with poor battery life.

18650 batteries gives much more power. The only inconvenience is you can't go into a shop in an emergency to replace. I don't think this would be a problem as I tend to have spare recharged batteries with me all the time on the bike anyway. And in the middle of nowhere at nighttime, you probably won't find a shop..

The TK11 will fit the same twofish lockblock you were using the L2D with. It will probably fit better actually as it's a bit fatter. Benefit of the TK11 over L2D is brightness and throw. I mentioned it for you as you might be going at speeds that need that throw. Otherwise the L2D will do the job.

You could just get the L2D and then one or two of the DX ones to see what they are like. A helmet light is very handy in the pitch black, particularly when going around bends. L2d on the bars and a TK11 on the helmet would work well, but mixing batteries might be hassle. And you'd need to be careful with the TK11 and oncoming cars, it would be a bit blinding.

edit - actually I don't know how you'd mount a torch on the head without a helmet.

actually I don't know how you'd mount a torch on the head without a helmet.

This?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

topper75 wrote: »
    With raingear, you tend to get what you pay for. In dear old Erin's isle, you cannot really spend enough!

I dunno if I agree with this. I've never found any raingear that didn't result in getting horrendously sweaty with energetic cycling. My commute is reasonably short, so I generally just get wet from rain (as opposed to from sweat), and shower/change at the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I will often not bother putting on a rain jacket but am very happy so far with this
    Montane FeatherLite H2O Jacket
    . It's very light, pretty breathable and pretty waterproof (at the moment.) Comes with a stuff sack with a Velcro strap so you can hang it off your bike, I have it on the stem.

th_montane.jpg

Coming back to this..

Bikeradar seem to be getting in on the torch scene and have gotten a TK11 for review
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/just-in-fenix-tk11-led-torch-18952?CPN=RSS&SOURCE=BRMTBNEWS

• Advertisement

My Exposure Joystick has started playing up already, after about 3 rides. It won't turn off properly, so I have to leave it plugged in when not in use.

Note to self...always read the FAQ.

Advertisement