Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start-up gear: Advice please!

Options
  • 06-10-2008 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

Hoping to start cycling to work - have bike but need accesssories including: helmet, lock, lights and raingear.

Any pointers on what to spend and where? Any particular shops to avoid etc.? Obviously would rather not spend a fortune :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Hoping to start cycling to work - have bike but need accesssories including: helmet, lock, lights and raingear.

Any pointers on what to spend and where? Any particular shops to avoid etc.? Obviously would rather not spend a fortune :o

If I was you I'd log onto chain reaction cycles and shop for the above ( which are incidentally the bare essentials ) . They have free delivery in the Rep of Ireland, and are super fast . For an experiment on saturday , went to Halford's here in Waterford , priced 2 Continental gator skin tyres , an 8 speed sram cassette and an 8 sp sram chain......total 131 euros . With CRC the same items came to 85 euros , huge difference . Top quality lights can be pricey but you can buy "bog standard" one's on Ebay for half nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 31,052 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

After a "trial run" using accessories from Halfords and another LBS, I sold the lot with my old bike and started again.

As far as lights and locks are concerned, do your research and don't just buy what's on offer from the LBS - this could result in wasted money and/or a stolen bike.

The hardest choice is a front light - there seems to be no limit on how much you can spend, there is a trade-off between visibility (who can see you) and illumination (what you can see). In the city visibility is more important. It's possible to convince yourself you need ever more illumination. If you want to save but stay seen, use two cheapish front lights - one on bike and one on helmet for eyeballing side traffic. My bikehut (Halfords) front light was actually fine for visibility, but I plan to ride at night so wanted decent illumination. Arguably defensive riding is more important than being "lit up like a Christmas tree".

Rear lights are easier, since they are relatively cheap.

A mini u-lock is supposed to be harder to lever/jack open than a full size one, but may not lock more than the frame - I've got locking skewers to deter thieving of wheels. Chains are easy to boltcrop unless you spend a fortune on some 4kg monster.

I've mostly used bikeradar and wiggle to research accessories, and came up with:

Exposure Joystick MaXx 2 Front Light
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Exposure_Joystick_MaXx_2_Wiggle_Front_Light/5360037879/

Blackburn Mars 4.0 Safety Rear Light
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Blackburn_Mars_40_Safety_Rear_Light/5360037937/

Kryptonite - New York Fahgettaboudit Mini lock
    http://www.petracycles.co.uk/york-fahgettaboudit-mini-lock-p-10160.html

Still waiting on delivery of these...

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

I use chainreaction cycles a lot and they are brilliant.

The only problem is that you will need to know your size in anything you are getting. It's good to go into a shop and try things on that you can get at chainreaction. I have never had a problem with them even when returning stuff and their delivery times are really good and free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I suppose for the moment, I can't afford to spend too much and kind of want to get moving. No point in the bike sitting there. It's not a big cycle - c.2miles each way - morning and evening across Dublin city centre. So light wise, it's really just for safety and not for illumination.

Would something like this do to get me up and running? Link I have a hi-vis vest.

Can't argue with the price, but I have a (possibly ill-founded) fear of "death from behind". If I'm going to get squished I'd rather see it coming.

Maybe spend a bit more on a rear light:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9112

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

I suppose for the moment, I can't afford to spend too much and kind of want to get moving. No point in the bike sitting there. It's not a big cycle - c.2miles each way - morning and evening across Dublin city centre. So light wise, it's really just for safety and not for illumination.

Would something like this do to get me up and running? Link I have a hi-vis vest.

But some money into proper lights.

Although those would probably do for safety - if you do find out that they don't work great it'll be a little late! (Cool that rhymes! :rolleyes:)

I'd spend €50 on-line for some lights. That should get some decent quality that could cost €75 in LBS.

Also from your opening post it looks like you're getting into / back to cycling - all the more reason to as visible as possible.

72oo

Lumen wrote: »

Yes I agree!! Was looking at that alright but it's not in stock until the 10th October, plus delivery time then. Was hoping to get on the road sooner!

How about Link for rear light and
    Link for the front?

Oh and this Helmet? Or this one: Link

I have a small head :o!!

If your budget for lights is £32 (€40), how about:

Blackburn Mars 3.0 LED Safety Rear Light
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Blackburn_Mars_30_LED_Safety_Rear_Light/5360020250/
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/lights/back/product/mars-30-rear-light-29565
    €15.68

Cateye EL135 Front Light
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cateye_EL135_Front_Light/5360025763/
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/el-135-3-led-light-16634
    €20.92

Both good brands.

Wiggle delivered stuff to me in 48 hours last week, but that was "priority dispatch".

If your budget for lights is £32 (€40), how about:

Blackburn Mars 3.0 LED Safety Rear Light
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Blackburn_Mars_30_LED_Safety_Rear_Light/5360020250/
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/lights/back/product/mars-30-rear-light-29565
    €15.68

Cateye EL135 Front Light
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cateye_EL135_Front_Light/5360025763/
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/el-135-3-led-light-16634
    €20.92

Both good brands.

Wiggle delivered stuff to me in 48 hours last week, but that was "priority dispatch".

Ok thanks! Will get both of those from Wiggle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

For a helmet, go into a bike shop. It's important that the helmet fits properly. You could check size and model in the shop and then buy online if you are particularly stuck for cash.

The best rear light for the money is either the blackburn mars 3.0 or the Smart 1/2 watt.

Front light, the exposure maxx is ludicrous money for what you are getting. The cateye front lights are decent.

Don't get too excited about having everything perfect. You'll know yourself if the lights are bright enough. Search through the forum for the recommended bits and pieces when you decide to spend more money. Also have a look at the wiki, http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Category:Cycling

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I ordered stuff from them on Monday evening last week and had all my order on Friday morning. I used their standard free delivery service.

Verb wrote: »
    Front light, the exposure maxx is ludicrous money for what you are getting.

Possibly. I was attracted by the compactness of the design, which allows helmet-mounting if I go completely mental and upgrade the main lights further.

Verb wrote: »
    For a helmet, go into a bike shop. It's important that the helmet fits properly. You could check size and model in the shop and then buy online if you are particularly stuck for cash.

Front light, the exposure maxx is ludicrous money for what you are getting. The cateye front lights are decent.

Don't get too excited about having everything perfect. You'll know yourself if the lights are bright enough. Search through the forum for the recommended bits and pieces when you decide to spend more money. Also have a look at the wiki, http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Category:Cycling

Thanks, I really just want to get enough to get me going. Want to be safe - but also there's no point pumping money into it only to find I don't end up using it. Makes sense about the helmet - will pop into town tomorrow, there's a bike shop on Parnell St. I could see what they have.

With regards to a lock - any tips? It will usually be locked in a courtyard or my backyard - rarely on the street unless popping into shop for a bit. To/from work is the main thing really.

With regards to a lock - any tips? It will usually be locked in a courtyard or my backyard - rarely on the street unless popping into shop for a bit. To/from work is the main thing really.

Off-street is a mixed blessing. It makes the bike less likely to be discovered, but gives the thief more privacy to break the lock.

Spending money on locks is depressing. A bike is nickable no matter what you buy, it's just a deterrent. Even if you get a expensive, heavy lock the thief may just remove whatever it's attached to.

I covered my last bike with ugly reflective tape from Halfords in an attempt to make it less appealing.

Good locks cost a bit unfortunately. If it's going to be in a fixed location a lot of the time, best bet is a heavy chain left at the location. Carry a u-lock around with you.

Kryptonite, Abus are good brands.

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Locks_%26_Security

Great advice - thanks lads. It's a gated courtyard, with security code, overlooked by offices. So it's public enough and I haven't heard of any bikes stolen since I've started working here, so fingers crossed!

The bike isn't worth that much either, though I know I'd be raging if it wasn't there any evening going home! Think I'll order this one from Wiggle now, with the lights. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

I have a spare Treloc U-Lock in work that's only a couple of months old. Retails for c. €44. You can it for €25 if you like? I work in the city centre if you wanna have a look at it

Ste

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

That savagely expensive front light has me intrigued - just what extra do you get for the money? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Exposure_Joystick_MaXx_2_Wiggle_Front_Light/5360037879/

Since getting back commuting, I've felt my journey is darker than I recall so I'd be happy to spend money on anything that makes me safer, but I'm wondering if I can justify such a spend for commuting (I'd rarely do any other cycling after dark).

I think that having your head lit up in some way can only be a good thing as people coming out from your left (peds and cars) would be more likely to see you if there's a parked car between you and them if they can see a light on your head. I strapped a hi-viz strip that has flashing LEDs sown into it to my helmet, not great but I feel it helps. I do like that the expensive light above has a helmet mounting kit, anyone used it?

This one has a helmet mount too and sounds like a good powered light but is pricey at €98 and this Cateye one also looks good for €62 with the option to get this one with rechargeable batteries for an extra €26 (€88).

Seems like all the above would be decent lights, just wondering if anyone has experience with any of these?

That savagely expensive front light has me intrigued - just what extra do you get for the money?

It's very difficult to tell from the specs. Cheap lights quote candlepower. Expensive lights quote lumens. These are impossible to compare. Either may mention watts.

Expensive lights include rechargable batteries (lithium ion and occasionally lithium polymer).

The Hope is half the price of the Exposure, but does not include batteries. However, li-ion rechargable batteries are not expensive, although you probably won't get quite the same burn time (Exposure 3hr vs Hope 2:45, both at max= 240 lumen).

If you want to go really mental, look at the Lupine Betty range - 23W, 1500 Lumens. The same light output from different models, just different capacity batteries.

Anyway, here's a question: does anyone bother with "always on" settings in town, or is flashing mode preferable/acceptable?

Search through the forum for lights and have a look at the wiki.

In short, led torches are a good alternative to bicycle specific lighting. Anything with a Cree Q5, R2 , MCE leds or a Seoul P7 will be bright. The bicycle light systems are slower to develop and cost more money, a lot of them use outdated luxeon leds as that was top of the line when they were designed. Torches have a much higher turn around time and so are continuously updated with the latest and greatest leds. Cheap decent brands are ultrafire, romisen, mte. A higher quality brand is Fenix.

You get far more lumens per dollar with these options. There is also no external cable battery pack. Runtime is reasonable. Fenix l2d , Q5, is around 2.5 hours at 180 lumens. Ultrafire R2 lights with 18650 batteries give around 200 lumens for 2 hours. P7 torch gives around 600 lumens for around 1 hour with an 18650. Lumens and Luxeons are useful measurements of light.

Re lights blinking or not. You are required by law to have steady lights on the bike, front and rear. Irrespective of that, a constant light makes it easier to determine the distance and speed of the bicycle. I have constant front and rear lights and an additional flashing rear light.

I should really start adding all this to the wiki at some point.

• Advertisement

Doh! Should have read the wiki.

This crowd do EU shipping for £4:

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix-tk11.html

Looks quite similar to the Exposure, only a third of the price, almost the same lumens but 50g heavier (not sure if that includes battery weight).

Any opinions on usefulness of helmet mounting?

I have used velcro straps to attach it to my helmet. Luckily the vents are forward facing, so the torch sits nicely on the helmet with the straps. Very light, not uncomfortable and completely solid. I'll get a photo next time.

The other option people use is a twofish bikeblock on the helmet, but this raises the torch quite high.

That TK11 is a quality torch actually. With fenix you can actually trust that you are getting the lumens advertised.

also have a look at fenix-store.com
    free shipping and dollars so a bit better than sterling. maybe.

Hmm, always nervous about shipping from US, due to import duty.

Decent range here too:

http://www.thephotonshop.co.uk/page39.htm

That one features a "devastating 650 lumen 12Hz Tactical strobe" if you feel the need to create a major pileup on the way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Mmmm, that TK11 does look like a good one alright, not that I'd know much about the specs.

It doesn't appear to come with batteries and doesn't appear to accept AA or AAA batteries though, so would I have to buy specific Li-ion batteries and a recharger for them (I have a Ni-Mh charger but doubt it works with Li-ion)?

The bike mount for £7 on the Fenix site might be worth it, though I'd be interested in picking up a longer velcro strap to use it on my helmet - that way I could bike mount or helmet mount.

I have another LED torch which is decent enough and would leave one on the bike one on the helmet, one flashing, one constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

and this Cateye one also looks good for €62

That's the light I use, it's a very good unit. I started off with a more basic Cateye, but this was useless for cycling through the Phoenix Park on dark evenings, so I upgraded to above. Low beam is perfect for in and around town and you just need to be seen, high beam when you need to light up the road/path.

But it may be overkill if you only cycling around city streets.

SetOverSet wrote: »
    I have a spare Treloc U-Lock in work that's only a couple of months old. Retails for c. €44. You can it for €25 if you like? I work in the city centre if you wanna have a look at it

Ste

Thanks for the offer but I picked up a lock earlier :) Thanks for all the advice - appreciate it :)

It doesn't appear to come with batteries and doesn't appear to accept AA or AAA batteries though, so would I have to buy specific Li-ion batteries and a recharger for them (I have a Ni-Mh charger but doubt it works with Li-ion)?

The Fenix l2d takes AA batteries if you prefer, although once you settle on a particular set of rechargable batteries and charger, it doesn't really make a difference what type they are.

Hmm, always nervous about shipping from US, due to import duty.

Decent range here too:

http://www.thephotonshop.co.uk/page39.htm

That one features a "devastating 650 lumen 12Hz Tactical strobe" if you feel the need to create a major pileup on the way to work.

dealextreme.com and kaidomain.com have a massive range of lights. Be warned though, it's like going into a pound shop, but with free delivery and a credit card. One can buy an awful lot of stuff and get slightly carried away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 67AQUALUNG

Be careful when buying raingear. some waterproof jackets can make you overheat very fast and are unbreathable. You can end up wetter because of condensation on inside of rainjacket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 drcopernicus

I recommend a second (lighter, less expensive) lock in town as it sends the opportunistic city-centre thief on to the next, less time-consumingly secure bike.

I also recommend a buying a couple of spare tubes straight away. Always keep one in your backpack so that you can simply swap out the tubes if you get a puncture. You can repair when you get home.

If you get a puncture in town and you don't have a spare tube and (tyre levers - approx €1.50 ea), you may have to lock the bike and go back for it after work. And if you didn't have two locks, the bike might be gone. For the sake of 20 quid.

Advertisement