Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men and weight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

I'm 29, 6ft and 84kgs.
    I play football 2 to 3 times a week and lift some weights but nothing mad.
    I'm happy enough with my size though I think according to those charts I might be slightly overweight(?)pfffffff:p

I see alot of younger people who are really out of shape and although I'm not a doctor........of medicine but I'd say it's not doing them any favours healthwise.
    I find it scary the amount of schoolkids you hear panting after climbing the stairs at the DART station.Whatever about lads in their twenties carrying a bit extra from all the boozing&chippers that's easily turned around but when you see these kids who are fairly overweight from their early teens and before it seems kind of wrong somehow.
    *shrug*

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

20 years old, roughly 6' (haven't measured my height in over a year, at least), 88.6 kgs/ 13 stone 13 lbs.

I could healthily lose half a stone of fat, but my muscle mass has increased dramatically in the last year so I'm pretty confused as to how healthy my current condition is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

26, 5' 11" and 13st 7lbs. (189lbs ~86kg) Lost 8lbs in the last 2 months, haven't been this light since I was about 15 (which annoys me a little). My peak was 4 years ago, I was 244lbs. Then I kind of realised I needed to do something about it :)
    Aim is to lose another 0.5st by mid-December. This will leave me within spitting distance of a "healthy" BMI, and I can decide then whether futher weight loss is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

I'm 16,5"6, around 8 stone.
    Play hurling to a high enough standard. I'm in pretty good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

23, 6ft, 85kgs. Pretty much bang on for my frame, give or take a kilo or two.

During the season I play football 4 times a week but as it's off season I'm down to 1 game and 3 gym sessions. Working on building arm strength and toning at the mo. Relatively happy but would like to improve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

So 50% of us are a reet bunch of fatsos.

Bring on the nachos (^^,)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I seem to have lost 4 or 5 kilos in the last couple of weeks, mainly due to bad eating habits rather than any active dieting. It does seem to have mainly come off my belleh though, so silver lining and all that...
    85kg now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Manties wrote: »
    So 50% of us are a reet bunch of fatsos.

Bring on the nachos (^^,)

I heard a statistic that 1 in every 2 people in Ireland is overweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I heard a statistic that 1 in every 2 people in Ireland is overweight.

Well it depends i suppose on who's version of overweight you go for. My idea weight is 10st 2 or something daft like that. With my broad build and height that would never happen if i had no weight on me at all. Christ at 13 i weighed more then that and had a bmi of 12% and played rugby at a competitive level all the way to 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Manties wrote: »
    Well it depends i suppose on who's version of overweight you go for. My idea weight is 10st 2 or something daft like that. With my broad build and height that would never happen if i had no weight on me at all. Christ at 13 i weighed more then that and had a bmi of 12% and played rugby at a competitive level all the way to 16.

Don't know what you mean sorry? My version of overweight is exactly that, over they're weight threshold for the they're body type( ballet dancer shape to rugby player).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

41 5ft 10 vary between 10 - 11 stones. For me I'd reckon I'm happier at 10 end rather than 11. I wouldn't eat much. Never have, unless I was doing big exercise. Never ate pasta or chinese or any of that. Had my first hamburger at 40(I kid you not:o:D). Very little sugar and bread I almost never eat. Meat and two veg type with a boiled egg or porridge in the morning Very dull.:D Exercise? very very little I'm afraid. Doing more now since knocking the ciggies on the head. Well I've always walked a lot. I suppose when I say exercise I mean gyms and such.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm 41, 6' 6" tall and weigh in at 21 stone. This is 20lbs less than a year ago (you reading this g'em? :D) but still nowhere near what I was when playing rugby. I was a lean mean 17.5 - 18 stone then. I'm working on getting down to 19 and then I will crank it up another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Good Topic. I'm 26, 5' 11" and weigh just on the ten stone mark. To be honest I hate the fact that I'm skinny. I should be a lot heavier because I eat well and I haven't been doing any sports for well over a year now. It seems I have an incredibly quick metabolism which I though would have slowed by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Seeing a lot of 6 foot dudes on this thread at around 85kg - I am 27, just under 5'9 and at an all time high now of 192lbs/13.7 stone/87kg! Bodyfat is in normal zone at approx 18%. I do weights regularly and don't mind being heavy for my weight as long as a nice amount of it is muscle! My goals in run-up to Christmas period are to pack on more muscle while reducing bodyfat a few more percentage points - goal is 13%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I'm 22, 6' 4" and 205lbs/14.6 stone/93kg. This is probably the heaviest I've been so far, but it makes a change from losing weight dramatically like I did a couple of years ago (was sick and lost a noticeable amount in about 2 weeks). Thankfully, my weight has been steady for the past year or so.

I'd like to get it back down again a bit and I'm working on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

29, 5' 11" 66kg. Ideal weight for my frame and size. Hit the gym 3-4 times a week, football once a week. Lots of running & swimming with fixed weights thrown in also.

Watch what I eat, could even be described as boring food. No fizzy drinks, junkfood, white bread or rice, lean cuts of meat only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I'm 6'1"
    I used to be 12 stone and am now 18.5 stone.

I used to train at least once a day to maintain 12 stone.
    kung fu, gym, rugby (with 2 teams)
    My BMI still had me borderline overweight, I was showing ribs through the skin!!

18 stone as I became a complete lazy bastard in the past few years. Back training 4 nights a week, matches at the weekends and cycling again. Plan on losing 5 stone. I gotta get me one of those weight-loss trackers!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

24 years old, 5'7" and just under 11 and a half stone. Diet is ok as in I eat quality food at the right times but with beer and the odd kebab thrown on top. Train 5 days a week at bjj/thai boxing and still have a gut.

I used to do rowing 8 times a week when I was in school and ate like a machine. The only time i was nt eating was when I was training or sleeping. Since Ive stopped rowing I still have the same hunger and its a daily effort to cage it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

ryoishin wrote: »
    24 years old, 5'7" and just under 11 and a half stone. Diet is ok as in I eat quality food at the right times but with beer and the odd kebab thrown on top. Train 5 days a week at bjj/thai boxing and still have a gut.

I used to do rowing 8 times a week when I was in school and ate like a machine. The only time i was nt eating was when I was training or sleeping. Since Ive stopped rowing I still have the same hunger and its a daily effort to cage it.
    Ha, this is the midget who said he would knock me out if he saw me in the cinema!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Quit it Climate Expert, you're boring at this stage.

Infracted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Thats me! and infact I said if someone stood infront of me insulting me in the cinema I would knock them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'm 5'7".

From a peak of 13 stone, I lost about a stone of that in short order at the start of this year (kudos again to G'em and the fitness people for the excellent advice~sadly I left my fitness log lapse, but kept beavering away.)

I hit a wall at that stage though, and rose a pound or two before cracking on again.

My target now is 11 stone dead, at which point I hope any increases will be in muscle mass alone.

I'm about six pounds off it, which is considerably better than 24 ;)

I'm in a much better place-I indulge in some form of exercise every day now, be it running cycling, weight training (including body weight exercises-which rock), I haven't smoked for six months, and firmly believe I never will again, I no longer drink pints, limiting myself to bottles, or a couple of glasses of wine, always red.

To those who find fault with themselves and shrug, fair enough. I was one of you throughout my teens and twenties. It takes a complete change in mindset to gain an appreciation for your body, which I firmly believe is the biggest obstacle. If you have drive, even just to make a little change, things will fall into place.

I'm not where I need to be yet, but for the first year ever, I won't need to make a New Year's resolution to "improve my health" that I won't stick to, because I've already done so. One step at a time.

It's only as hard as you make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

I'm in a much better place-I indulge in some form of exercise every day now, be it running cycling, weight training (including body weight exercises-which rock), I haven't smoked for six months, and firmly believe I never will again, I no longer drink pints, limiting myself to bottles, or a couple of glasses of wine, always red.

To those who find fault with themselves and shrug, fair enough. I was one of you throughout my teens and twenties. It takes a complete change in mindset to gain an appreciation for your body, which I firmly believe is the biggest obstacle. If you have drive, even just to make a little change, things will fall into place.

I'm not where I need to be yet, but for the first year ever, I won't need to make a New Year's resolution to "improve my health" that I won't stick to, because I've already done so. One step at a time.

It's only as hard as you make it.

This is a really excellent post. Something that would sit well in the Fitness forum for someone looking for advice/inspiration. It really is all about getting that bit of drive to make a change - the results lead you on from there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Its quite strange actually because I eat like a horse the whole time too, must have hollow legs (!) or a very quick metabolism or something

I'm the same,

A standard day at work food wise would be,

Breakfast at home: 3 Weetabix
    Breakfast at work: 2 white toast + hard boiled egg

Lunch- can be anything for lasagne and chips to a roll with me and salad to 10 potatoes with gravy.

3pm Snack: Usually a choc bar

Dinner: Usually a warm up packet of crisps, then meat, veg and lots of potatoes

After dinner: Snacks!

Generally I eat a lot but would snack rather than have massive meals, I eat a lot but i eat often so maybt that has something to do with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I find it scary the amount of schoolkids you hear panting after climbing the stairs at the DART station.Whatever about lads in their twenties carrying a bit extra from all the boozing&chippers that's easily turned around but when you see these kids who are fairly overweight from their early teens and before it seems kind of wrong somehow.
    *shrug*

Op was just about to post something similar, was visiting a school earlier in the week and went into a class room and out of the 20 or so kids there who would be around 16-18 a good half were pretty f**king hefty looking.

Now I would be pretty fit and at their ages I was playing football 5 times a week, in the gym 3/4 times a week along with swimming and running with the dog. In fairness my diet was pretty s**t but I was so active it didnt make much difference, One kid walked up about 15 steps and I thought he was going to pass out.. I was thinking maybe its glandular:rolleyes: but then I see him at lunch time tucking into chipper, the kids in school now are a death time bomb waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm overweight at 14st 8lb/93kg, 6'1" but nothing problematic. Blood pressure, cholesterol etc are all fine. I'm happy so long as it stays roughly where it is at the moment, if my weight starts trending up over 15 stone I start dieting/exercising to bring it back down again. At 14 1/2 I don't look very overweight, feel very heavy and can walk the 2km to college at a fast pace without feeling breathless or tired. That's enough for me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

Don't trust BMI...

I'm far from ideal, but if you looked at me, the last thing you would say is that I was overweight, yet my BMI is 28, which is closer to obese in the overweight section.

Here's an example... Here's a picture from a few years ago, but I have virtually the same build/weight/look now as I did then.....

<<Piccie>>

My BMI is so high because I have very big legs... which you can't really see from the pic. Anyway.. I have a huge gripe about BMI, which no amount of whinging can fix, so I'll leave it at that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

im well over weight but dont have the motivation to do anything about it. i know i should and always have good intentions ! for example the 700 euro/year jackie skelly key ring pendant that i have been carrying around.
    I used to be quite active with a number of things but a back injury got me out of that a number of years ago and i havnt moved onto something else.

I know i should - health wise. the doctor told me that my blood pressure was like 180/100 i think he said... if i had that high i would be dead !
    got my own on and its more 140/90... which i know still is bad.
    but i havnt died yet ! ... which bring me back to the motivation to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I'm 6ft tall and weigh 13stone, 20 years old. I think I just about fall in to the normal weight category but a pound or two more would see me in the overweight category. Totally unfit though!

Just over a year ago I was only 10 and a half stone. Was really underweight back then and I felt like complete **** all the time because of my poor diet and lack of eating. Feel much more energetic and in better moods these days since I started eating better food, more food and put on this weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm 5'10 or 5'11, 17, and 64kg(10 stone) for the last..3 years or so. No matter what I eat I've never gained a pound!

I'd probably be considered underweight - but imho I'm just the perfect weight.

Advertisement