Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men and weight

Options
  • 06-10-2008 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

Having read a lot of articles recently about the rising obesity in Ireland and also the increase of eating disorders and the health risks that come with both I was just curious to see what the average body composition of the average male boards user was in around.

I myself am overweight, 100KG to about 5 ' 11" / 6' and 24 years old

Do you think that obesity is becoming a problem among males in Ireland ?

Well there is certainly a big increase in my age group, whether its being caused by general inactivity or just over consumption of the old gargle at the weekends along with the traditional after pub feeds finally catching up on people.

Do you feel that being overweight (or underweight) is negatively impacting on your health ?

I don't have any health related issues from being over weight but I sure could benefit from loosing a few pounds.

Anyway, thoughts ? opinions ?

Your body composition 166 votes

Very Under Weight
    0% 0 votes
    Under Weight
    1% 2 votes
    Ideal Weight
    10% 17 votes
    Over Weight
    33% 56 votes
    Very Over Weight
    46% 78 votes
    Rather not say/Other/Atati Chub-uar
    7% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'm 90kg and 6ft, so also overweight. Definitely obesity is rising, but what is scary is the way people have so easily accepted it. From time to time I might complain that I'm fat but most people will tell me I'm not fat at all or don't look it (not just to be nice to me). I think people's expectations and opinions of what we should look like are changing to accept 5,10 or even more extra kilos.

• Moderators Posts: 51,745 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I'm 16st/101kg and about 6ft. According to bmi calculators I'm bordering on obese, yet the only real bit of excess fat is on my belly. It scared me into doing more excercise. But before that, I had gone to my GP for a eye test for drivers license and got my blood pressure, breathing and heart rate checked. The doctor all was very good, so it was really confusing considering those bmi gizmos said I could probably stroke from climbing too many stairs.:eek::mad:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

koth wrote: »
    I'm 16st/101kg and about 6ft. According to bmi calculators I'm bordering on obese, yet the only real bit of excess fat is on my belly. It scared me into doing more excercise. But before that, I had gone to my GP for a eye test for drivers license and got my blood pressure, breathing and heart rate checked. The doctor all was very good, so it was really confusing considering those bmi gizmos said I could probably stroke from climbing too many stairs.:eek::mad:

Those BMI things arent very accurate though, they wouldnt take into account muscle, take a bodybuilder with about 6% body fat and he might probably register as obese.

Bf % is the most accurate way to measure the amount of fat a person is carrying, that and a truthful look in the mirror :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

185cm, 23 years old and 74kg, so I ticked ideal weight.

Think my metabolism is about to kick my ass though as I don't do any exercise so will probably start piling on the pounds soon.

I don't think I'm healthy though, I am seriously unfit and need more (some) exercise.

None of my friends (male or female) are majorly overweight though so I don't think its as huge a problem as maybe its being made out to be (but that is from a small, lucky ;) set of the population)

c - 13 wrote: »
    Those BMI things arent very accurate though, they wouldnt take into account muscle, take a bodybuilder with about 6% body fat and he might probably register as obese.

Bf % is the most accurate way to measure the amount of fat a person is carrying, that and a truthful look in the mirror :D
    :D
    Yeah, know that now.;) Just weirded me out, I mean I'm not the size of a sofa.:pac:

How do you get body fat% info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

koth wrote: »
    :D
    Yeah, know that now.;) Just weirded me out, I mean I'm not the size of a sofa.:pac:

How do you get body fat% info?

Gym instructor with a body fat calipers would probably be the easiest (and very accurate if the instructor is good with the calipers), they then throw the measurements taken into a formula and come out with the percentage. I'm sure some doctors may be able to do it too.

I never got it done myself, any gym i was a member of never did it and my doctor couldnt find his arse with two hands. I bought a calipers myself but I was way too inconsistent with measurements (nice way of saying I hadn't a clue what i was doing with it :o)

c - 13 wrote: »
    Gym instructor with a body fat calipers would probably be the easiest (and very accurate if the instructor is good with the calipers), they then throw the measurements taken into a formula and come out with the percentage. I'm sure some doctors may be able to do it too.

I never got it done myself, any gym i was a member of never did it and my doctor couldnt find his arse with two hands. I bought a calipers myself but I was way too inconsistent with measurements (nice way of saying I hadn't a clue what i was doing with it :o)
    That actually proves to me that bmi is monkey-science.:) Because my weight hasn't changed in the year going to the gym. But I have noticed the fat is dramatically reduced on the side of my torso.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

5'11 12 stone, cardio wise I'm very fit run/cycle/play football quite a bit,
    could probably do with hitting the weights a couple of times a week

Was extremely underweigth for a long time mainly due to all of the sports i did.

was 9 stone until i bought my car (4 years) and tbh looked like a concentration camp victim!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭coillcam

5'11 12 stone, cardio wise I'm very fit run/cycle/play football quite a bit,
    could probably do with hitting the weights a couple of times a week

Was extremely underweigth for a long time mainly due to all of the sports i did.

was 9 stone until i bought my car (4 years) and tbh looked like a concentration camp victim!

I hear you man. I'm 5'8" and was just a shade over 8 stone going to college. I was training or playing hurling though 4 times a week so that kept me around that weight for a good time. Pretty much not at anything now and gave up hurling this year but I'll go back next season. So I'm 22 and just under 10 stone at "normal" weight now. Although I was sick for a couple of weeks and lost nearly a stone recently. Thinking of taking up weights for the winter as I'm at nothing fitness-wise and I can literally feel my body changing into some sort of slob-like creature. Nip it in the bud methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

I'm 21, 6ft and 11.5 stone. According to bmi calculators Im in the ideal category but down at the almost too light end of things! I could do with putting on a stone or two. Did long distance running and cross country while growing up so never put on a pound and was always smaller than my friends :( its all good now though because I've started to bulk up a bit from playing Gaa still aim to hit about 12.5 stone by the end of the academic year:)

Its quite strange actually because I eat like a horse the whole time too, must have hollow legs (!) or a very quick metabolism or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I'm 6 foot 1 78kg. Not a pick on me then again I try exercise regularly, I don't drink, I watch what I eat and I have inherited the metabolism of a racehorse :D (the father is like a rake).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I'm 27, 5'10, 85kg.

By the BMI, I'm slightly overweight. But it's mostly muscle mass. My body fat is about 8 - 9%. I'm comfortable with my weight, so I ticked "ideal weight".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

5' 8" and around 9 1/2 stone, have been hovering there abouts for years now. I'd like to have the time to do more exercise so I have to do with the 20 minute walk to work. I am on my feet for most of the time in my job pushing a shelving cart about and running up and down stairs so I suppose that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm only 5'6", and I am not sure of my weight offhand, but I do have a set of those body fat calculating scales, that estimate it at around 30%, so technically I am obese, although I constantly get told that I'm not fat/don't look fat, tbh it is just people being nice IMHO.

Had to drop the gym I was in because I could no longer afford it, and find it hard to get motivated to get outside now that it's got colder, which really isn't helping :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I checked on http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmi-m.htm and got 26 so "just" overweight. I do have extra weight but nothing major - more like under-trained than over-weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

32, 170 pounds (78kg), 6 feet 1". BMI 22 apparantly, fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

For the last few months i have been hovering around the 15 and a half stone mark. I actually shudder when i say that i still, before i got ill i was up at about 19. The big difference is that i actually feel better and happier having dropped down in weight. Sure, i'm working to add back some more muscle but i can't really see myself getting that heavy again, even if it were very lean.

I'm a lot faster and lighter on my feet now and it suits my current goals a lot more. Bodyfat is currently around the 12% mark i would say, will get that down to about 8% i hope, add on another two stone of muscle and i should be happy out.

Right now, i'm at my natural weight pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm 31, 5'6" and about 185lb.

I'm not really arsed with me weight as long as I dont start putting it on - I have no desire to lose alot of weight. Not lazy, just happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

44, 5'8", 79 kilos (175lb).

Strangely enough I have been only =/- a stone in weight since the age of 22.

I dont know about BMI tbh. My build is typical rugby fellas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

6ft 2, 96kg, prob a little over weight but f*ck it i'm 43.

I have noticed since I turned 40 it's harder to keep my weight stable.

I think it's down to watching what you eat, a decent diet with stews, pasta,chicken,steaks, spuds will not put on a huge amount of weight if you get even a little exercise.

The nasty stuff starts when you add in sauces,takeaways,pints,cakes etc but in moderation these should not be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I'm 43, 182cm (6' approx), 104kg (16st 5lb)

Using BMI calculation, this makes me Obese, however the caliper method said I was overweight and radically reduced my life insurance quote!

BMI is far to generalised and should never be used to seriously assess your health, or your life insurance costs!

I swim 50 lengths (1.25km) 5 times per week, cycle a minimum of 50km per week, and go to the gym for weight training once a week. I carry weight on my stomach (unfortunately :mad:) but that's the only place where there's fat on my body...

There an enormous difference between weight and fat percentage, and there's an enormous difference between fitness and fatness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I'd be at an ideal weight

Slim, but not ripped

I hate the views Irish people have on healthy eating. If you want to eat yourself to death, work away, but dont look down on people who choose to eat healthy food

"You should eat & drink to live,
    Not live to eat & drink"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm 18, 5'9" and around 80kg. So I'm slightly overweight.
    I've lost a good bit of weight in the last year or so, but sometimes I still feel fat, because I have no muscle. Nearly all my weight is body fat :(

I've never had any weight-related problems (apart from an inability to get laid!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

not yet wrote: »
    6ft 2, 96kg, prob a little over weight but f*ck it i'm 43.

I have noticed since I turned 40 it's harder to keep my weight stable.

I think it's down to watching what you eat, a decent diet with stews, pasta,chicken,steaks, spuds will not put on a huge amount of weight if you get even a little exercise.

The nasty stuff starts when you add in sauces,takeaways,pints,cakes etc but in moderation these should not be a problem.

Thing is over the last decade or so, if you weren't maintaining muscle mass through lifting/exercise/heavy work, you've probably lost quite a bit of muscle, leading to a slowed metabolism and a higher precentage of bodyfat. this in turn makes it easier to gain fat and harder to lose weight.

Sorry if I've just bummed you out a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

22, 6ft, 91kg, has been my weight give or take a kilo for the last year. It's my ideal weight in the sense I'm not overweight or underweight i.e relatively lean.

However in terms of gym/strength training I wouldn't mind being heavier (more muscle in this case).

On the flipside I also play football and run a bit where being 91kg regardless of bodyfat makes things harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

5'11 and about 12 stone now. Was always very skinny up to and including most of college. After college I put on about a stone in a year but haven't gained any weight in about six months now so I'm levelled out for now. I do think I could do with toning up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

25, 5'9, ~12stone. [whats this craic with kilos?!!]

overweight? perhaps but it doesn't show much I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kaimera wrote: »
    25, 5'9, ~12stone. [whats this craic with kilos?!!]
    51, 1.78m, 82kg [what's this craic with all these outdated, obscure imperial measurements? :D]

This apparently makes me officially "overweight" :pac::pac: I've a light paunch, from too much beer probably, but the rest of me hasn't got an ounce of fat to be seen. I blame "heavy bones" to be honest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

Alun wrote: »
    I blame "heavy bones" to be honest :D

me too ... particularly the ar$e and the belly bones.

6 ft, 19 st ... down from a peak of 20 st.

Weight has piled on over the last four years.

When I was playing competitive rugby I was closer to 16 st ... age, injury and a change in work/life balance have combined such that I get almost no exercise now.

I am painfully aware this is very wrong, and very unhealthy.

I need to get way more exercise and a consistently enjoy a healthier diet.

I realise I am not disciplined enough for exercise on my own, walking & jogging bore me, and cycling is somewhat uncomfortable at present ... so it's back to team / social sports for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

trout wrote: »
    I realise I am not disciplined enough for exercise on my own, walking & jogging bore me, and cycling is somewhat uncomfortable at present ... so it's back to team / social sports for me.

That's me all over. I can't abide these solo sports. I don't know how people go to the gym on their own four and five times a week. I guess I'd a social animal or something.

Advertisement