Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Match Thread** - Tues,OCT 7 @ 22:00 JUDE - Boardeaux v I-China

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Think we're meeting at half 9? Village suits me best out of those two options. I can meet you past the bus stop in the village there, where the old ESB shop was? There's room to pull in there. I'll PM you my mobile number

Lateness absolutely will not be tolerated this season. Half hour before games, minimum, warming up is essential on these winter nights.

I don't care if someone is getting a lift and the driver is late, not acceptable.

The team is picked at 9.35, of those present. Unless I have been told about some circumstances prior to an hour before kick off. A text at quarter past, when meeting is at half, telling me you are running late, is not looked gladly on.

If the car/bus/bike you are travelling in is late, you are late. If someone else is late for the lift, and you suffer, don't cry to me, cry to the late idiot.

No exceptions.

This squad is strong enough, if you lose your place, you don't walk back in.

Show me the commitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

We won't be late. LOTP didn't realise we're meeting at 930.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Nunu wrote: »
    Ed I need a lift, so is the usual spot around 9.15 alright?
    I'll text you tomorrow if I don't hear from you

ya, usual time,usual spot, pick you up so around 9.50 :D:D.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Des wrote: »
    The team is picked at 9.35, of those present. Unless I have been told about some circumstances prior to an hour before kick off. A text at quarter past, when meeting is at half, telling me you are running late, is not looked gladly on.

I'm giving u notice!

This is the only time it will happen and as said i'll be fully warmed up and ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Best of luck tonight boys, hope you get off to a flyer. Without Shay to give away a peno, this opening game should be much easier to win than last year :D

• Advertisement

Haha, totally forgot about that. No way was that a peno......snigger :D

ya, usual time,usual spot, pick you up so around 9.50 :D:D.
    not funny :mad:
    I'm giving u notice!

This is the only time it will happen and as said i'll be fully warmed up and ready to go

you told me already....a week ago, so that's fine.

Larry is in, any word from Conor?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wont be there tonight. Only arrived back in from Barcelona this morning, and wont be in town till later tonight. Wouldnt be in any state to play a match anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yeh good luck tonight lads, the ability is there for sure so remember that if things don't start well - class comes through in the end!

I think Karl will be there - he texted me yesterday, better give him your number Des, doubt Ed has Karl's number either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

at least we wont need showers tonight :D

a 5-1 win, without playing well. difficult night with wind, but we can play alot better. 2-0 at half time. 5-0 up and the scored last few mins with what was their only shot in the whole game. We missed another 5 or 6 decent chances, but lets not get carried away, 5-1 is good enough any day.

However, a win is a win, job done, but next week will be alot tougher. 20 players togged out tonight also, our biggeset squad ever.

goals from -

Ciaran Pen (foul on eddie)
    Art (cross from Gav)
    Larry (cross from Mark)
    Ciaran (cross from Larry)
    O.G. (cross from dave)

Good win without getting into top gear. Fairly disappointed I didn't even get a couple of minutes but I suppose it's a kick up the arse after walking into the team for 2 and half seasons. Some great competition for places and bodes well for season ahead.

Good win without getting into top gear. Fairly disappointed I didn't even get a couple of minutes but I suppose it's a kick up the arse after walking into the team for 2 and half seasons. Some great competition for places and bodes well for season ahead.

ah ya, im sure its disappointing but it will take 3-4 games before we settle down,its the same every year. the squad is big, perhaps too big, but every year a few drop out for various reasons (Ian with work for example already). its just a matter of people taking their chances and being patient. the first few games is always hard to keep everybody happy.

I'm trying to prevent what has happened over the last few seasons from happening again.

I don't want a situation arising where we are getting mates down to play, again.

People will get their chance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I thought it was a dominant win and probably should've been more with chances missed and possession in their half for 80-90% of the match with some great moves. Still annoying that their only real build up and strike of the game gets in.

Better to watch than Rovers' game by all accounts though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Great win lads. Some serious momentum building. Keep it up

Great win lads. Some serious momentum building. Keep it up

you still in america? hows that going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

got back in late last night. NY was good. Didnt get to do as much as I'd have liked. Busman's holiday

Apologies for the goal lads, my fault in entirely wasn't strong enough in the tackle and the ball managed to get to their player to slot away.

• Advertisement

Apologies for the goal lads, my fault in entirely wasn't strong enough in the tackle and the ball managed to get to their player to slot away.

tbh, it wasnt your fault. f*ck it, no point in pointing the finger, especially at yourself.

it was their only chance in the whole game and came in the last 5 minutes. other than that, we were well on top in defence and Clayton had nothing to do what so ever.

tbh, it wasnt your fault. f*ck it, no point in pointing the finger, especially at yourself.

it was their only chance in the whole game and came in the last 5 minutes. other than that, we were well on top in defence and Clayton had nothing to do what so ever.
    Cheers Ed, it was a comfortable win and tbh could have been 15 if we had put our chances away.

Next week should prove a more accurate measure of how good we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

A good win without getting out of second gear. Plenty of room for inprovement but we're all well aware of that. This is a good start that we can build on from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭murtagh

Cant really beat ourselves up too much for their goal. it was a ball over the top from midfield and their striker was pacey and had a lot of space to work with. In the past we've defended too deep allowing opposition to play around infront of our defense which has lead to many of the goals we've conceded. The defense has always been a bit concerned about defending high up the pitch (with no offside rule etc) but the point was often made about how seldom teams actually manage to successfully get a ball over the top to a striker... It worked for them last night but as we've seen from previous seasons we bring a lot more trouble on ourselves when the defense sits deep, allowing teams to play between our back 4 & midfield.

Yeh good performance lads, wouldn’t say it got to 5th gear but it did get above 2nd gear at times with some nice football being played. We didn’t lose the midfield in the 2nd half, but we didn’t dominate as in the first so the game was a bit looser, which actually led to more chances for us. The fitness and use of the bench on the flanks made a visible difference as the game went on – against better and fitter teams there won’t be so much space but you can only beat what is put in front of you and this was done very efficiently with some lovely goals.

I did think there was a tendency to try play the killer pass/flick first time too often when taking a touch would have meant a higher percentage of the key passes would have stuck instead of missing the man or coming in at waist height. Great invention though and if those passes start sticking the finishing would improve and then you’re into really punishing teams so overall we have to acknowledge it was a good performance with only minor changes away from being an excellent performance.

I agree with Murtagh’s point – that’s one of the very few times we’ve actually lost a goal to a simple over the top ball – pushing up has certainly earned us more goals than it has cost us – just look at the amount of possession the fullbacks got last night in the opposition half and the amount of chances the moves they started led to. The point has been made that it’s only now that we really have the personnel to really support this approach and that we weren’t equipped to do it before. That’s an opinion each of us may or may not agree with but it’s irrelevant really as if the manager tells you to play that way that’s the end of the discussion. I’m sure he’ll listen to peoples’ opinions in private but ultimately his decision is final.

Yeh good performance lads, wouldn’t say it got to 5th gear but it did get above 2nd gear at times with some nice football being played. We didn’t lose the midfield in the 2nd half, but we didn’t dominate as in the first so the game was a bit looser, which actually led to more chances for us. The fitness and use of the bench on the flanks made a visible difference as the game went on – against better and fitter teams there won’t be so much space but you can only beat what is put in front of you and this was done very efficiently with some lovely goals.

I did think there was a tendency to try play the killer pass/flick first time too often when taking a touch would have meant a higher percentage of the key passes would have stuck instead of missing the man or coming in at waist height. Great invention though and if those passes start sticking the finishing would improve and then you’re into really punishing teams so overall we have to acknowledge it was a good performance with only minor changes away from being an excellent performance.

I agree with Murtagh’s point – that’s one of the very few times we’ve actually lost a goal to a simple over the top ball – pushing up has certainly earned us more goals than it has cost us – just look at the amount of possession the fullbacks got last night in the opposition half and the amount of chances the moves they started led to. The point has been made that it’s only now that we really have the personnel to really support this approach and that we weren’t equipped to do it before. That’s an opinion each of us may or may not agree with but it’s irrelevant really as if the manager tells you to play that way that’s the end of the discussion. I’m sure he’ll listen to peoples’ opinions in private but ultimately his decision is final.

I think our fitness as a team has vastly improved since the start of pre-season. I think it gave us an extra edge last night, Mark in particular did quite a bit of running. This wasn't a tough test but when we play against better opposition we'll need to be constantly moving to create space and it will really help us then.

Again with the team we were playing against we were able to try the fancy stuff and it was not going to cost us any points.

Yeh, I think we're saying the same think there helimachoptor (Mick, Keith ?) - though the shape went a little in the 2nd half the fitness and freshness (of the subs) was clearly there and made a big difference. They started sitting deeper as tired teams do and it gave loads of space to try the fancy stuff, some of which was lovely stuff to watch.

Yeh, I think we're saying the same think there helimachoptor (Mick, Keith ?) - though the shape went a little in the 2nd half the fitness and freshness (of the subs) was clearly there and made a big difference. They started sitting deeper as tired teams do and it gave loads of space to try the fancy stuff, some of which was lovely stuff to watch.
    Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

ditto

• Advertisement
Advertisement