Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to put your handbag when driving?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

It depends on which bag I have, it it's a small one I keep it between the driver and passenger seats, but if it's a big one and gets on the way of the handbreak I keep it on the paasenger seat. Bad habit I know, but I have to have it close to hand and I don't live in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

WindSock wrote: »
    Yeah thats an old one, but still, whos to say they wouldnt try it?

Yes, I can see various knackers setting humane traps around the place, checking them periodically, waiting for a rat to take the bait, then hanging around traffic lights with a large, angry rodent under their coat while they wait for a suitable target to come along...

Handbag snatchers are opportunistic by nature, they are going to make the easiest grab they possibly can, not go to all the trouble of procuring a rat and loitering around busy junctions where they're more than likely going to be picked up by a suspicious Garda within 15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 CatLady1

Wow, I'm amazed. Some of these replies seem crazy to me. I think it's so dangerous to be putting handbags in places like under your feet and around your gearstick!! :eek:

I don't see what the problem is with just putting your handbag in the boot. Surely its the safest place to put it and you're hardly going to need it when you're driving :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Thoie wrote: »
    Well, maybe if we all stop posting the idea on the internet, they won't think of it themselves? :)

I doubt very many scummers would bother reading a forum on the internet, least of all a lady forum.
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    Yes, I can see various knackers setting humane traps around the place, checking them periodically, waiting for a rat to take the bait, then hanging around traffic lights with a large, angry rodent under their coat while they wait for a suitable target to come along...

Or they could just buy/steal one from their local Whackers pet store...

But anyway, highly unlikely but still possible. It never hurts to be aware. Know that a rat is probably not going to hurt you if its put in your car, so spare yourself from lepping out of it like a mad eejit with the keys in the ignition :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If I'm alone, passenger seat. If accompanied, on the floor below the passenger seat... what's the big deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Dudess wrote: »
    If I'm alone, passenger seat. If accompanied, on the floor below the passenger seat...

Same!

I should really make more effort to hide it though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

Out of habit and laziness, i always have my bag on the floor on the passenger side with my jacket/cardigan on top of it. (probly makes it more obvious) lol :D

You have to remember, some scummers are bold as brass and desperate, so even to tie the bag around the gear stick or under your legs wouldnt matter. they could still smash the driver window, and grab the bag, or even pull you out of the car and drive off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

*Dallas wrote: »
    or even pull you out of the car and drive off.

In my case they'd need to be very large scumbags. Very large scumbags with a forklift. Very large scumbags, with a forklift and asbestos skin. Cos I normally have a lit cigarette somewhere close to hand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Guys, I'm still learning to drive, you're scaring me:D I have too many things to be remembering as it is without extra rules for handbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Behind my seat. I have short legs so I wouldn't be able to fit it in front as I'm very near the pedals. The car is a 3 door so no one could get at my handbag without opening the door and pushing the seat back first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Usually up on the passenger seat. If I have a passenger then I plonk it on their lap and they can do what they wish with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SMG123

I keep mine on the passenger seat, bad idea, I know but its just a bad habit - years ago, i was driving through Dublin, it was a dark evening, I was stopped at traffic lights and the doors werent locked, a guy (being polite!!) opened the door and tried to grab my bag, another guy opened the back door of the car, they probably werent sure if the bag would be in the back or the front, they didnt get it though, I grabbed it and held on for dear life!! A few cars beeped their horns and when the lights changed they just ran off leaving the doors open, so there was I, shaking like a leaf and had to get out of the car and walk around and close the doors after them! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

generally i drive with mine on my lap! not that im extra vigilent (i live down the country) its just a habit i got in to. now if i leave it on the floor my legs get cold! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Here's an aside - where do you keep your licence? Most men I know seem to keep it in the driver side visor. As you're supposed to have your licence with you at all times when driving these days, do you bring it in and out to the car with you for each trip, or leave it in the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

nouggatti wrote: »
    Agreed I am tall and have a 34 inch inside leg, but I'm not going to impede my driving ability with my bag on the floor of my seat!

Yes but what you have to brake hard and your bag slides up towards the brakes and you've not realised....until....before you know its up around your feet! VERY dangerous! I wouldn't have thought it that dangerous until one time a bottle that my brother had left on the floor in the back had wandered around, and I got the fright of my life when I was braking and felt it around my feet! I'm very wary of things floating around the floor under my seat or in the back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Thoie wrote: »
    Here's an aside - where do you keep your licence? Most men I know seem to keep it in the driver side visor. As you're supposed to have your licence with you at all times when driving these days, do you bring it in and out to the car with you for each trip, or leave it in the car?

I just keep my license in my purse. I always have the purse with me when I go out so it makes sense. I use it for ID for alcohol as well so it's handy to have it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

KateF wrote: »
    Yes but what you have to brake hard and your bag slides up towards the brakes and you've not realised....until....before you know its up around your feet! VERY dangerous! I wouldn't have thought it that dangerous until one time a bottle that my brother had left on the floor in the back had wandered around, and I got the fright of my life when I was braking and felt it around my feet! I'm very wary of things floating around the floor under my seat or in the back now.

exactly, and the make up brush will fall too make up everywhere, and the GHD will slip and burn her thighs too and to top it all off she'll get disconnected from the gossip phone call all whilst driving a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Pythia wrote: »
    I just keep my license in my purse. I always have the purse with me when I go out so it makes sense. I use it for ID for alcohol as well so it's handy to have it there.

Me too, never take it out. I never go anwhere without my purse, I'd only lose my licence if I left it in the car. Plus it's my mam's car so god knows what she'd do with it.
    Cremo wrote: »
    exactly, and the make up brush will fall too make up everywhere, and the GHD will slip and burn her thighs too and to top it all off she'll get disconnected from the gossip phone call all whilst driving a car.

:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

KateF wrote: »
    Cremo wrote: »

Err you both seem to have not noticed that I was agreeing with someone who said that they wouldn't drive with their handbag under their feet?

I said "I'm not going to impede my driving ability with my bag on the floor at my feet????

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

oops sorry, i am only after seeing that now.

although i stand by my comments :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I just keep my licence in my wallet, I always have it on me.

And I can't believe how many people drive around with their doors unlocked. My work colleague does it, her "logic" is that if she was in a crash, how would the fire brigade get her out if she had the doors locked?

Love, if you're in a crash that's serious enough to warrant the fire brigade's attendance, I really don't think having the doors locked is going to keep them out.

"Oh look, she's locked the doors. Just leave her there, there's nothing we can do".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Crap I really have to start locking my doors!! This is scaring me slightly

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Usually on floor under a passanger legs or behind the passanger seat with the seat pulled right back on top of the bag.
    I know one girl who had her window open and her bag on the passanger seat and a scumbag snatched it when she was sitting at the lights, so i rarely open my passenger window now unless I actually have a passanger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

I rarely have a handbag when in the car because I normally only use a bag on nights out, and rarely drive on nights out. But on occasions when I have a bag it goes on the floor on the passenger side.

When I was in college I'd throw my college bag on the back seat/in the boot.

However I'm most unsafe as if I'm in the car alone I will put my purse, phone, contents of the pockets on the passenger seat - must start chucking them in the glove department.

Advertisement