Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New M20 - Flooding Concern

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

mysterious wrote: »

Bluntguy, Why would you not suggest either, when The M8 corridor has pretty much covered 50% of the distance between Cork and Limerick already, plus it would be half the cost. only 40km spur would be needed, whereas the M20 by the N20 is longer. I fail to see why you dont see the logic for one over the other

Tie in will not be difficult just build a flyover:P

I can see the logic in both solutions...

The M20 from Cork to Limerick is much more direct and provides better access from Cork to Mallow. It also means that there is a safe alternative to the many dangerous parts of the N20 route (which I have sited will need some upgrades anyway, regardless of whether the M20 is built alongside it). It also more likely to get funding from a PPP contractor, as it will most likely have a higher AADT than the alternative. It is however, the more expensive option, and perhaps not viable in these difficult economic times.

The M20 from Mitchelstown is much more cost effective, and provides better access from Mitchelstown, Cahir, Clonmel and many other towns to Limerick. This means that the N24 will have less pressure on it and not need an upgrade. However, it means that Limerick bound traffic from Cork will have to make a deferral of about 30-40 km before reaching the M20. I estimate this would add, perhaps 20 minutes onto journey times. It also means that the N20 is still left, for the most part, without a safe alternate route. This option is far less likely to secure PPP funding than the first option due to lower traffic volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

However, it means that Limerick bound traffic from Cork will have to make a deferral of about 30-40 km before reaching the M20. I estimate this would add, perhaps 20 minutes onto journey times.

Cork to Limerick direct is 100 km according to Google Maps.

Cork to Limerick via Mitchelstown is 110 km according to Google Maps. And that's including a load of wiggly R-roads, a motorway would be straighter and hence a bit less than the 110 km.

(Another upshot would have been that the Limerick traffic would go straight to Dunkettle and no longer enter Cork city through the north side. Now I know people are going to say the Jack Lynch tunnel is crowded enough as it is, but if proper planning had been adhered to over the last 10 years, which is what is being advocated by many people here, it would still be more than up to the job for years and years to come.)

Advertisement