Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist arrogance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

CDfm wrote: »
    that hairy -huh - you could be German:p

The horror!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Mena wrote: »
    The horror!
    the Popes German -its ok really.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I know its a contentious issue -but on one abortion thread if I didnt understand something I could post that and invariably someone would offer a very helpful explanation to a concept or scientific issue beyond my grasp. Not so with atheists.
    If there's one thing I've found of atheists it's a complete willingness to explain their position, or a scientific point.

Dades wrote: »
    If there's one thing I've found of atheists it's a complete willingness to explain their position, or a scientific point.
    Dades are you being ironic?:pac:

On the abortion thread - I would have agreed with you.

But the general belief threads nah- I suppose its difficult to accept that atheists are not as open minded and fair as you would like to think.

But you know that already - it would take a resiliant poster to keep it up.

Its easier and more fun to let them get on in their own little world.

Ya should put a believers keep out on the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Take a look a the creationist thread (well once they haven't repeated themselves 20 times). The posters there are more than willingly to explain any science they can if ask or to refute a point. I honestly don't know how you could have got that opinion from reading boards, I have learnt countless new, interesting scientific facts just be casual reading on here.

• Advertisement

i am not really interested as i am not a creationist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Dades are you being ironic?:pac:

On the abortion thread - I would have agreed with you.

But the general belief threads nah- I suppose its difficult to accept that atheists are not as open minded and fair as you would like to think.

But you know that already - it would take a resiliant poster to keep it up.

Its easier and more fun to let them get on in their own little world.

Ya should put a believers keep out on the threads.

Whoa! What is wrong with you? Why would you say something so inflammatory? Especially when its both unsubstantiated and almost completely untrue. Why the need to atheist bash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Like all other groups, there are some arrogant athiests and some....unarrogant (?) athiests.

I have no problem with athiesm, and certainly have no problem with athiests explaining their beliefs. I do, however, find comments like this extremely arrogant:
    Mena wrote:
    Well, to quote someone else... When you're arguing with adults who believe in fairy tales, it's pretty difficult to not be smug and superior.

It bugs me when some athiests think that they are intellectually superior to theists and have the right to be condescending and patronising. That can come across as extremely arrogant.
    Luckily, most athiests I know are not like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

i am not really interested as i am not a creationist
    That has absolutely nothing to do with the point. It shows a willingness on the part of some the atheist posters to constantly show scientific reasoning, logic and facts to backup their points. Whether they are making claims or refuting others. A lot of these posters make up the majority of the posters here. I'm just wondering where on earth you got the impression atheists here don't give scientific reasoning. If anything the nerdy bastards go over board.

so thats what stops believers posting on threads

most wouldnt say it being too nice- but ive no problem with it - Im a realist

they are your nerds

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

so thats what stops believers posting on threads

most wouldnt say it being too nice- but ive no problem with it - Im a realist

they are your nerds

It doesn't seem to bother JimiTime or SoulWinner who are well able to fight the good fight here. Perhaps you are just out of you depth?

Looking at how you survive using a strategy of sarcasm, contradicting yourself and desperate topic changing, in order to avoid replying to posts questioning your feeble arguments, it certainly seems to be the case.

it doesnt interest me ging on a thread to argue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ironingbored

marco_polo wrote: »
    Looking at how you survive using a strategy of sarcasm, contradicting yourself and desperate topic changing, in order to avoid replying to posts questioning your feeble arguments, it certainly seems to be the case.

+1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

it doesnt interest me ging on a thread to argue

Sure it doesn't :rolleyes:

It really doesnt matter that JimiTime and SoulWinner are into this. Im not them.

On wider matters of the philosophy of religion and even philosophy in general, the original thinkers and source material the arguments are drawn on etc the discussions are a no brainer go nowhere.Thats where my interests lie.

As for Neo Darwin - that fceker- what has he published. I went to my local library and couldnt find anything by him.

It really doesnt matter that JimiTime and SoulWinner are into this. Im not them.

On wider matters of the philosophy of religion and even philosophy in general, the original thinkers and source material the arguments are drawn on etc the discussions are a no brainer go nowhere.Thats where my interests lie.

As for Neo Darwin - that fceker- what has he published. I went to my local library and couldnt find anything by him.

Evasion ......................tick
    Random topic change ....tick
    Sarcasm .....................tick

I'm bored of you now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There is a film coming out that looks funny called "Religulous"

I watched an interview with the director (an atheist) and both him and the interviewer (an atheist) took a very elitist view to their beliefs mocking anyone who had any faith whatsoever.

It was quite partronising to anyone religious. It feels sometimes very hypocritical when atheist celebrate their atheism. Particular those that are anti religion. Celebrating atheism is no different than celebrating religious beliefs when carried out in the same fashion! In my view of course.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Evasion ......................tick
    Random topic change ....tick
    Sarcasm .....................tick

I'm bored of you now
    Is it true that Neo has recorded (the kneebones connected to the thigbone) And thats a Natural Law.

Is it?

Is it true that Neo has recorded (the kneebones connected to the thigbone) And thats a Natural Law.

Is it?

kitten-and-gun.jpg

Just give up

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

faceman wrote: »
    It was quite partronising to anyone religious. It feels sometimes very hypocritical when atheist celebrate their atheism. Particular those that are anti religion. Celebrating atheism is no different than celebrating religious beliefs when carried out in the same fashion! In my view of course.

I can see how mocking the religious to show how stupid we perceive their beliefs to be can be patronising. But how is it hypocritical?

Most Atheists would follow the scientific model in which they present their evidence and are open to change in the face of new evidence. Just because the god hypothesis doesn't require evidence (and outright rejects it) doesn't mean its somehow special and deserving of quiet respect. If anything such an idea needs serious criticism.

Its not closed minded to reject such an idea. Nor is it hypocritical to celebrate the fact that you try to approach the world in an objective and logical manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Celebrating atheism is no different than celebrating religious beliefs when carried out in the same fashion!

Its very different. The difference is what is being celebrated.
    In my view of course.

Why did you say this? Did you think we'd suspect you were voicing someone else's view?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Zillah wrote: »
    Why did you say this? Did you think we'd suspect you were voicing someone else's view?

Yes.
    5uspect wrote: »
    I can see how mocking the religious to show how stupid we perceive their beliefs to be can be patronising. But how is it hypocritical?

im assuming there are a number of reasons why Atheists have no belief, one of which is the dislike for organised religions. When atheism becomes a movement or a social gathering, then it becomes organised atheism in a sense.

im assuming there are a number of reasons why Atheists have no belief, one of which is the dislike for organised religions.

Rational people don't generally base their beliefs on what they like or dislike.
    When atheism becomes a movement or a social gathering, then it becomes organised atheism in a sense.

So?

Zillah wrote: »
    Rational people don't generally base their beliefs on what they like or dislike.

yeah but many do
    wrote:
    So?

Thus coming full circle hypocritically speaking.

yeah but many do

No, not rational people.
    Thus coming full circle hypocritically speaking.

You're assuming that atheists criticise religion because of the organisational aspect of organised dellusion, as opposed to the dellusion part. Atheists such as Maher level criticism at the absurdity of religious belief, not at the fact that they're organised about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

CDfm, I had a bunch of quotes and all lined up but I've decided not to bother. Contribute something useful or you will be banned for trolling.

And for the record, a sarky response will not be considered useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I watched an interview with the director (an atheist) and both him and the interviewer (an atheist) took a very elitist view to their beliefs mocking anyone who had any faith whatsoever.

For the record, the interviewer, Bill Maher, actually does believe in God. He opposes organised religion but he is certainly not an atheist. His criticism of religion is coming from inside the God-believing camp, not the atheist side.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

im assuming there are a number of reasons why Atheists have no belief, one of which is the dislike for organised religions. When atheism becomes a movement or a social gathering, then it becomes organised atheism in a sense.

I have no belief because I don't see the point. I can't force myself to believe something even if it's the most comforting idea ever. I no longer believe in Santa, but I would love to if believing helped to provide material gain.

I guess thats why so many believe. Its easier to hope, and then delude yourself into believing than actually think critically about the world.

My dislike for Christianity et al. is a consequence of this lack of belief, not the reason for it. I also doubt Atheism will ever become a movement or gathering. I have a few friends in work for example (we're all Academic Ivory Tower types) who would identify themselves as atheists but we don't gather once a week to pay our respects to Dawkins, Dennett and Harris. (Tho we do discuss the weeks Zero Punctuation review :pac:)

Charco wrote: »
    For the record, the interviewer, Bill Maher, actually does believe in God. He opposes organised religion but he is certainly not an atheist. His criticism of religion is coming from inside the God-believing camp, not the atheist side.

Well, he's a Deist, which is distinctly different from the usual belief in God.

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    I also doubt Atheism will ever become a movement or gathering.

Atheism itself...no.

Secularism/humanism...hell yes. It already is.

Advertisement