Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's very early days for me.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Susipoo

Hi! Well done everyone - I'm off them 10 days and it really helped me reading everyone else's experiences (I know how rude of me to hide over here in the corner). You're all brilliant - it's so tough. I don't know if anyone else was affected by mood swings...I've had a fierce temper some days, which I expected but other days I was crying my eyes out (little embarrassing in work) .

I tried herbal calming tablets and found them great, they're making me really sleepy though. Has anyone tried anything else along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

Well done Susipoo keep up the good work. I've not really had mood swings but my seeep went a bit mental. I think that has more or less settled down now. I think you should aybe try some relaxation when you can and calm yourself down. Take the deep breaths and let the cravings pass and the mood swig with it.

Keep it up. I'm on 3 weeks come Monday morning, giving up has been the best thing I could have done for myself.

Yee Haaa

"You quit 4 weeks, 3 hours, 23 minutes & 14 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 1,125 cigs, saved EUR 425 and added 3.91 days to your life"

Need I say anymore. :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

well done rochie! How are you finding it? Im five weeks off them today and have found this weekend the hardest so far. Dont know why but just had bad cravings all weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Well done to you all, its not easy but quitting is the best thing I ever did.

dubgirl15 - I quit after reading Mark Jordan too, and I found it helpful to read the book over at regular intervals (and still do), it reminded me that bad days will still happen and that they are a small price to pay for freedom. I still can't believe that after 14 years of smoking 20 a day, I haven't smoked a single cigarette in 14 months ;-)

Good luck to all with your quits!

• Advertisement

dubgirl15 wrote: »
    well done rochie! How are you finding it? Im five weeks off them today and have found this weekend the hardest so far. Dont know why but just had bad cravings all weekend.

Funny you should say that but this weekend was tough, the cravings seem to have been a lot worse.....actually they seem to be more sneaky than worse if that makes any sense. I'd find myself coming up with reasons to have a cigarette or to have a cigar which I always hated. I even found myself today thinking of having a smoke to celebrate been off them four weeks.....Then the craving passes but this weekend they were stronger.

How have you been Dubgirl?? I was wondering how you were getting on

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

yeah getting on grand, except for last weekend!!! but i didnt smoke so thats the main thing really! Still getting cravings from time to time but they are normally not too bad. how are you? still happy to be off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Hi I am off them five weeks this week! Really chuffed with myself. Managing to go boozing and do ok.. at the oddest times I get the odd craving! Treated myself at weekend with money saved!

Silver33 wrote: »
    Hi I am off them five weeks this week! Really chuffed with myself. Managing to go boozing and do ok.. at the oddest times I get the odd craving! Treated myself at weekend with money saved!

Well done Silver, I hit the 5 week mark today myself. I survived tempation while boozing to..... I treated myself to paying a chunk of money off my credit card....lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Keep going all of you - you're doing great :)

I'm off them 8 months tomorrow. It still feels amazing to have quit considering my previous best quit lasted a mere 6 days!

Even though you're probably all still thinking of ciggies and smoking now and again I've found it DOES lessen over time. I didn't believe it at the time but it does. Maybe once every three or four weeks I might think "I wouldn't mind a cig" but the thought passes in seconds. There's not been any mad cravings or stress or anything like that.

Another thing which may help - my dad smoked for nearly 50 years and has been quit for 3 and a half years now. Even he says he can't believe he's done it.

Just hang on in there and you'll do it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

I gave up this morning at 00.21am and I have to say I struggled all day long at work today. Couldn't concentrate on anything other than thinking about when I would be due to go out for my next smoke. I had picked the date a while ago and had planned on reading the Allen Carr book but I'm only a fraction of the way through it. I'm wondering if I'm ready to stop yet or if that's simply me making excuses. Wouldn't it be great of there was a magic button!

I gave up this morning at 00.21am and I have to say I struggled all day long at work today. Couldn't concentrate on anything other than thinking about when I would be due to go out for my next smoke. I had picked the date a while ago and had planned on reading the Allen Carr book but I'm only a fraction of the way through it. I'm wondering if I'm ready to stop yet or if that's simply me making excuses. Wouldn't it be great of there was a magic button!

That's the same magic button that lets me win the lotto....lol. I hope you stuck with it today, I hope you finished worked and went for a walk or done something totally different from the norm. It's all in the mind don't let a nasty little weed filled stick run your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

so proud of us all!!!

really stickin it to the man...

"Hi P! You quit 1 month, 2 weeks, 2 days, 3 minutes & 16 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 940 cigs, saved EUR 381 and added 3.26 days to your life."

3 more days, and i will NOT have smoked 1000 cigs...might throw a little party for that!

froosh69 wrote: »
    "Hi P! You quit 1 month, 2 weeks, 2 days, 3 minutes & 16 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 940 cigs, saved EUR 381 and added 3.26 days to your life."

3 more days, and i will NOT have smoked 1000 cigs...might throw a little party for that!

Oh this makes me look so bad, I passed the 1000 cig mark ahead of you :( guess that makes it all the more important for me to stay off them, that's what having gone to smoking 40 a day over the last couple of months will do. Best thing I ever did was to give up :D

Hi Rochie! You quit 1 month, 5 days, 15 hours, 5 minutes & 21 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 1,465 cigs, saved EUR 553 and added 5.09 days to your life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Rochie IRL wrote: »
    That's the same magic button that lets me win the lotto....lol. I hope you stuck with it today, I hope you finished worked and went for a walk or done something totally different from the norm. It's all in the mind don't let a nasty little weed filled stick run your life.

Hi Dreamer! You quit 1 day, 18 hours, 28 minutes & 32 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 40 cigs, saved EUR 15 and added 3.33 hours to your life

I did it.... I lasted Day 1, and today it seems fine. I've had no cravings, or desire to have a smoke. Am so happy and it's funny cos in only 24 hours since the last post I'm already feeling like a non-smoker!!

Keep breaking the routine Dreame and keep yourself active......give it all you have got to beat the little fecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 tatt chic

Well i was off them for 2 weeks and for some reason i bought 20 today and its the worst thing i did, i can't seem to bring myself to throw them away.
    i had a hard time of it the first week, not so much the cravings but finding something to do with my hands, i love taking a long drag and inhaling even though they are disgusting!

will try again tomorrow morning when the box is empty.
    very disappointed with myself. :(

tatt chic wrote: »
    will try again tomorrow morning when the box is empty.
    very disappointed with myself. :(

Why wait until the box is empty? If you really really want to quit destroy the rest and just do without them. Tomorrow morning when you wake and the box is empty you'll look for a reason to get more and so the addiction continues. You have to break the cycle.
    That's tough to break out after two weeks. Another week and you'd have been over the worse of it. I'm now at 7 weeks and hardly think of smoking it get a little bit easier each day.
    You should have come on here before buying the cigs but do try to quit again tomorrow. ;)

:D Still going strong as you can see from stopsmoking.ie
    Hi Rochie! You quit 1 month, 3 weeks, 1 day, 4 hours, 35 minutes & 41 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 2,127 cigs, saved EUR 803 and added 1.05 weeks to your life.

I'm still getting the odd craving, usually when bored or stressed but it's not to bad. My next goal is to make it until xmas without smoking and then to test myself during the silly season....

:D Wooohooo "Hi Rochie! You quit 2 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 13 hours, 19 minutes & 21 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 2,536 cigs, saved EUR 958 and added 1.25 weeks to your life."

Nearly 3 months off smokes and I'm thrilled with myself. I'm looking forward to not smoking over christmas and not worrying about shops been closed and not been able to buy smokes and then stocking up on them just in case.....it's madness when you think of it.

Happy Christmas to all the quitters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

hey rochie, how did xmas go for you.. are you still a non smoker..

dollyk wrote: »
    hey rochie, how did xmas go for you.. are you still a non smoker..

Yeah still a non smoker, I was very drunk one night and had a drag from a cig and I nearly got sick, That confirms it, smoking and me are no longer friends and I am glad that one drag nearly made me sick because now I know they are not for me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Hey well done to all. i quit Oct 1 and am still off them. I am in shock I managed it this length with no help... anyways ended up in smoking area Christmas Eve with family.. had no alternative.. but although a little uncomfortable... I survived.. this very place where I had smoked copious amounts of fags.. So I think I am over the worst... as this was the first time in 3 months I had been in a smoking area for several hours..
    so to all those considering giving up in jan.. go do it.. Its worth it in the end.! My skin is in such better condition. no grey palour, NOW I notice the whiff of fags when someone comes in from outside.. I never realised how strong itwas and how I must have smelled for all those years! I think too that 8 euro can make a big difference in your budget.. Anyways Good Luck y'all!

Advertisement