Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's very early days for me.

Options
  • 30-09-2008 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Well I am now a non smoker, it might be short at 38 hours and 43 minutes but you know what I already feel great for making it that far. I've never really tried before and I am actually waiting to be hit with mad cravings etc because right now I'm hardly feeling anything only delight at giving up.
    I WAS a 40 a day smoker and I'm going cold turkey and right now I feel great that I'm off them. If I get a slight craving I breath in deeply through my nose and exhale through my mouth to relax and that seems to get rid of the craving very quick.
    I hope I stay off the smokes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

6 months off them tomorrow,

am so chuffed with myself.

Have had very good days felt great,happy,proud of myself

and of course the very bad days,when i felt,sad,weak,sorry for myself.

I never gave into the bad days,i accepted them as part of the process,
    often shed a tear of frustration at how hard it was and when it passed i
    would give myself a pat on the back for being so brave.

you can calculate your savings,money and years
    at http://stopsmoking.ie

I wish you well,

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

best of luck with it. Your right about the cravings, they only last a short time. Its also great i find to be able to come on here and discuss how you are doing with others who have given up

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

According to stopsmoking.ie I quit 2 days, 8 hours, 14 minutes & 50 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 93 cigs, saved EUR 35 and added 7.75 hours to your life. :D

The cravings are still fine. I was expecting it to be much harder than this.....am I missing something or am I going to be hit in a day or two with mad cravings etc.

no i think if your positive about quitting the cravings are not too bad. You will have some times when you really want one but should be fine.

I'm hardly craving them at all, when I do it's for two seconds and I remind myself that I dont smoke anymore and the craving goes away and I do something else....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Fair play, off them around 5 months myself, when I got off them at first I thought that id never stop thinking of them, like when I walked out of any building at the start the hand would automatically go into the pocket looking for the smokes I don't have.
    Your cravings won't get any worse, there going to improve, just make sure that you don't loose sight of why your doing it and you'll stay off them no bother.
    You at your weakest when you crave then ask yourself "why am I bothering to give up?", don't let your mind play games and you'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Madra Sneachta

Rochie, the single biggest cause of relapse isn't cravings , IMO, it's the sense of deprivation and panic at losing our "friend".

Your attitude is your best guarantee of beating this thing.

Another day without smoking thankfully.
    I can't say I feel panic at losing our dirty little friend, I do find myself thinking at times that I'd usually be smoking now like when driving to and from work but then I laugh and say no I'm so much better off without smoking. :P It actually feels good been able to take deep breaths without coughing while doing it.

Rochie IRL wrote: »
    Another day without smoking thankfully.
    I can't say I feel panic at losing our dirty little friend, I do find myself thinking at times that I'd usually be smoking now like when driving to and from work but then I laugh and say no I'm so much better off without smoking. :P It actually feels good been able to take deep breaths without coughing while doing it.

FAIR PLAY TO YA.

this new years day i will be smoke-free 3 years. best thing i ever did so stick with it.
    cold turkey is the only way.dont go down the road of nicotine replacement products such as gum/patches - remember, you are trying to get off nicotine not replace it.

GO ON MY SON!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

cold turkey is the only way.dont go down the road of nicotine replacement products such as gum/patches - remember, you are trying to get off nicotine not replace it.

Found the patches very effective myself, think it's down to the person, he's lasting without them so at this stage it would be best to avoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

and this is me takin me hat off to you
    Id hug you but my wife made me promise that I wouldn't

Cold turkey is for sure the way for me, patches and gum etc would prolong things and I doubt if I could have made thing drag out.
    This is my first weekend in 15 years that I will not smoke.....and I promise you guys I wont smoke....When I quit on Monday morning I gave my wife my last 10 cigs and my lighter and told her to hide them. I was home from work early today and guess what I found...I opened the box and had one in my hand and was close to lighting it up but decided against it....It was a close one mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

Well I am now a non smoker

well, you've certainly got the right attitude. Fair play!

i'll b two weeks tomorro...feeling groovy!

:D I made it through my first weekend without smoking. I even had a few beers at home on Saturday to see how I'd get on and I got over that hurdle. Things are look good. As of 8am this morning I made my first week off the smokes. My sleep is a bit all over the place. I guess been an early riser naturally is not going to help but I was in Tesco doing the weekly shop Sunday morning at 4am..... it was either that or sit at home and think of smoking..I can put up with that for a few weeks and see what happens. I'm just glad of the fact that I am off the smokes one week and I'm looking forward to saying two weeks.

:D I made it through my first weekend without smoking. I even had a few beers at home on Saturday to see how I'd get on and I got over that hurdle. Things are look good. As of 8am this morning I made my first week off the smokes. My sleep is a bit all over the place. I guess been an early riser naturally is not going to help but I was in Tesco doing the weekly shop Sunday morning at 4am..... it was either that or sit at home and think of smoking..I can put up with that for a few weeks and see what happens. I'm just glad of the fact that I am off the smokes one week and I'm looking forward to saying two weeks.

Well done Rochie, thats brilliant, first milestone out of way!! i think the sleep thing has happened to all of us! Keep going!

How long have you been off them dubgirl??? what was the easiest and hardest part for you about giving them up?

off them two weeks today! I honestly have not found it as hard as previous attempts. I read mark jordans book which i found good. Im eating alot and did not sleep for the first ten or eleven days. That has improved now. I started in the gym the day i gave up and i really think that has helped alot. I find evenings the hardest when im sitting watching tv, so i try to do that as little as possible. How are you finding it?

This has been my first real attempt at giving up so I wasn't fully sure what to expect. My only time before now to give up was 4 years ago and I lasted 5 hours. I was expecting absolute hell but so far it's been pretty ok. Like you said changing around certain routines is a good idea but I also think meeting a few routines head on is also good. Like The cig after dinner, sit there and take deep breaths and when the craving passes you can feel yourself smile. This weekend was tough but I know next weekend will be better. Finding my last pack in the house on Friday that asked my wife to hide was a real test...I had a cig in my hand and I was close to lighting it, so I dropped it and got the hell out of the house.
    Damn you dubgirl you are a week ahead of me....Well done to you, I'd love to be at two weeks.

Damn you dubgirl you are a week ahead of me....Well done to you, I'd love to be at two weeks.[/QUOTE]
    Ha! Thats exactly what i said last week when i was reading other peoples posts. The time really flys by. And i think my sleep has now gone back to normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

dubgirl15 wrote: »
    off them two weeks today! I honestly have not found it as hard as previous attempts. I read mark jordans book which i found good. Im eating alot and did not sleep for the first ten or eleven days. That has improved now. I started in the gym the day i gave up and i really think that has helped alot. I find evenings the hardest when im sitting watching tv, so i try to do that as little as possible. How are you finding it?

Funny you should say that...looks like I'm just one day ahead of you! and this is about my 10th attempt at stopping, this one has been by far the easiest...must be the weather.

anyhow, the only time i think about smoking now is when people ask me "hows the giving up going?"

a handy thing to do is tell everyone you know that you are giving up, and you get so much encouragement! best of luck anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 buer25

Hey,
    I am off the cigs for 27hours and 50 mins (swear im not counting) :D
    Goin cold turkey cause i dont' think usin patches and such do you any good.
    Was so close to buyin cigs today actually went upto the counter and everything - looked strange when i walked away lol but i was proud of myself that i didn't get them.

IF i can do this so help me im never goin back smoking again for fear that i will have to do this again if i decided to give up.

Any body else recently give them up?

Well done Buer25, you are almost over the hardest bit. Try and be as positive about it from the start, dont think, ireally wish i could smoke think, its great that im off cigs two days or whatever and i will never have to do these first few days again!! Keep going with it, it will be worth it!

dubgirl15 wrote: »
    Ha! Thats exactly what i said last week when i was reading other peoples posts. The time really flys by. And i think my sleep has now gone back to normal!

My sleep is getting worse, It's now the hardest part of this thing. Last night I had 1.5 hours sleep and the night before was the same and it's been like that a few days. Yet I had loads of energy during the day. dubgirl I wish I was like you a week further ahead of me and sleep been ok.

buer25 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I am off the cigs for 27hours and 50 mins (swear im not counting) :D
    Goin cold turkey cause i dont' think usin patches and such do you any good.
    Was so close to buyin cigs today actually went upto the counter and everything - looked strange when i walked away lol but i was proud of myself that i didn't get them.

IF i can do this so help me im never goin back smoking again for fear that i will have to do this again if i decided to give up.

Any body else recently give them up?

I'm off them one week and one day. Get yourself through the first few days one hour at a time, avoid shops and if you have to go only bring enough money for what you need to buy minus the fag money of course. It does get easier and the achievement of every passging hour as a non smoker makes it a battle worth winning.

Thanks guys, had to admit it was a really bad day yest but feelin good today bout it all. My bf has gone off the cigs with me so hopefully we will still be together by the end of the week hahaha.

Thanks again, feel better knowing ye all did it.

buer25 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, had to admit it was a really bad day yest but feelin good today bout it all. My bf has gone off the cigs with me so hopefully we will still be together by the end of the week hahaha.

Thanks again, feel better knowing ye all did it.

I hope you are still doing ok Buer25, I'm heading for two weeks off them on Monday, ;):D This will be my second weekend and last weekend was a little bit tough. I hope this one goes ok.

:PYeah im still off those disgusting things lol - driving everyone mad sayin im now a non smoker.
    Feel great but the wkend will be the tester for me cause if i end up goin out i hope the drink doesn't influence me - but dn't think im goin out so i should be okay.

Rochie - hope you get through ur second wkend okay and well done for gettin to the 2 wks.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Good luck this weekend guys! Id recommend sticking pretty close to an anti smoker friend! Thats what i did for the first few months on nights out! She would have kicked my ass if i smoked! She used to check my breath and smell my hands fo smoke when I came back from the toilets, so i knew i couldnt get away with sneaking out to the beer garden!
    It is tough, but hangovers are soooo much easier, your throat wont be killing and your pockets will be heavier in the morning...promise! :D

Got through the weekend fine and dandy. Hardly a craving and I was more than happy to burn off the extra energy I have in the garden and playing with my daughter.
    I know it is still early days but in all honesty I don't see myself ever smoking again. I don't care what life throws at me, I'm not going to use them as an excuse to go back smoking. I've gone through a lot as it is while giving up.

Hi Rochie I! You quit 2 weeks, 7 hours, 7 minutes & 15 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 571 cigs, saved EUR 216 and added 1.98 days to your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Got through the weekend fine and dandy. Hardly a craving and I was more than happy to burn off the extra energy I have in the garden and playing with my daughter.
    I know it is still early days but in all honesty I don't see myself ever smoking again. I don't care what life throws at me, I'm not going to use them as an excuse to go back smoking. I've gone through a lot as it is while giving up.

Hi Rochie I! You quit 2 weeks, 7 hours, 7 minutes & 15 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 571 cigs, saved EUR 216 and added 1.98 days to your life.

216 euro in just 2 weeks? wow! make sure you treat yourself (or your daughter) to something nice with the savings!

Advertisement