Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much exercise do you get in the average week?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I have training with the team for 2 hours on a Monday and Thursday night.
    Then match on a Saturday. Sometimes a few of us will play two if the team below us are struggling for numbers.

Will usually head up to the pitch with a few of the lads on a Friday night to have a knock about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Swim 1km, i.e. 40 lengths every weekday (keep it under 20mins)
    Cycle 6km per day (short commute to and from work)
    Walk 5km x2 on weekends

Add in the shagging and it's no wonder I'm knackered...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I'm a rower. Mondays and Fridays are rest days but that doesnt mean you have it off, just means you take it easier than the other days! Yesterday I went for a 30km cycle for example, it was just taking it easy though, not a huge increase in heart rate. Fridays we generally have a technical session on the water. Tues through Thurs, train twice a day, am and pm, then 4 hour sessions Sat & Sun, compromising of weights, circuits and time on water. Mad I know but I absolutely love it. The feelgood factor is amazing at the end of each day:D

Ah, the only sport there is! Everyone else just plays games. :pac:

I do 8 sessions a week, usually. 3 of heavy weights, 3 on the water (usually one technical, one long distance, and one long distance with 2-3 15-20 minute pieces), 1 session of 30k on the bike and 1 session 2-3 20 minute pieces on the bike. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I aim for four sessions a week at the moment, three running [one long, two short] and one session on my punch-bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Bah, not enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

Currently play football four nights a week. I also cycle to/from football and to/from work (though that's not much of a distance). I hit some light weights whenever i can motivate myself too as well which is probably twice a week.

I also tend to be late for whatever Dart i want to get so end up running there too :p I guess it all adds up ;)

I'm not a big fan of treadmills either but running on pavement kills my anterior tibialis (astroturf picthes don't however, maybe my astro shoes are better for running) if i do it too often so i tend to only run the streets etc when i'm on holiday. That said i love running in a new city, especially if said city has a waterway/park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I used to cycle to and from work (10 mile round trip) 5 days per week but have completely got out of the habit of doing so recently (driving instead these days). Really need to get back into the habit of cycling because that was the only exercise I used to get. Will save me money on petrol aswell, and worth bearing in mind the levy for car parking at work places that will be coming in next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

I've been cycling to and from work mon-fri for the past 5 years now.. For the past 2 years or so it's been 30-35 minutes each way.

I've always been pretty active in general... I nearly always have 2 x 1hr long walks per week...

I go to the gym regularly for about 2 months, then stop for 2 months... When I do go regularly, it's 5 times a week.

The big thing I do is play DDR a lot, which is pretty energetic.... Sessions woud be 4-8 hours long easily.... Here's an example of me messing around :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

I aim to go for a run three times a week. Really finding it hard to motivate myself at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Cully wrote: »
    The big thing I do is play DDR a lot, which is pretty energetic.... Sessions woud be 4-8 hours long easily.... Here's an example of me messing around :P

Lol, impressive. I saw someone while I was on holidays doing that, jesus h christ, talk about lightning feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

martial arts on monday wed
    Rugby training on tue thu and match at weekend
    Cycle a bit now too.

This is after three years of being very lazy so have a lot of weight to work off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

feel very unfit reading this!

Time to get a new bike - and what's more actually use it, assuming I can gather the motivation together to do so - methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

aim for

3 nights kickboxing * 90 mins
    2 days in gym * 70 mins split 50% weight and 50% cardio

Usually
    2 nights kickboxing * 90 mins
    2 days in gym * 70 mins split 50% weight and 50% cardio

Totally addicted to a bit of training, if I don't train for 3+ days start to feel like crap.

Setting goals and looking at training as an investment for the future keeps me motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Right now, nothing, for only the second long stretch in my life really. I played soccer for 8 years from the age of 8 to 16, used to do cross country running from 12 to 16 (And I was pretty damn fit at about 14/15), then stopped doing any exercise for about a year apart from the odd run. Played Basketball in school in 6th year and in for half of first year in college (currently in second year), before losing interest. Got back into running a bit over the summer, but haven't kept it up. Now I know I really have to get into doing something. I do walk at least 15-30 mins a day, and after nights out I tend to walk large parts of my journey home before getting a taxi (I've walked the whole way several times, takes about 2 hours), but that's the only regular exercise I get these days.

I don't understand gyms. I agree with the earlier poster about treadmills, I'd much prefer to go for a proper outdoor run. And it just seems so soul destroyingly boring. I'm also not really into building up muscle as much as fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭andyred

Go 5 times a week, monday to friday at 7am before work for about an hour of cardio. I will also go again 3 - 4 evenings in the 7 day week for weights sessions. Sometimes I will go for a game of squash instead or in the warmer months a run on the streets or the park....all this and I still dont have a 6 pack. Such a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I train Taekwon-do twice a week, and try to do some training outside of class time.

I'm more of a non-follow the crowd...so college will do wonders for my sports :D Not stuck in the midlands ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I swim 1 km three days a week. Kinda slow though but I guess its still good exercise nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

1 and a half hour rugby trainig 3 times a week
    2 hour long gym sessions a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Cloudinsane

I always get motivated to exercise at the most awkward moments - before work etc., and then when I finish work, I'm exhausted. Go figure.

Advertisement