Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much exercise do you get in the average week?

Options
  • 30-09-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭

By exercise, I'm talking about raising the heartrate for an extended period of time and getting breathless.

Quaffing your drink in one go might leave you breathless, but we all know that's not what I mean.

So, do you get your prescribed three 30 minute CV sessions per week?

If not, you do realise fitness and health are linked?

For my own part, I try to run twice a week and cycle once, though weather and traffic are very unhelpful at this time of year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I go to the gym 3 times a week and lift (badly), am trying to fit cardio in at the end of that too. I walk about forty minutes a day I think.

• Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I walk to and from work, a brisk 15 minute walk. Walk every where in the city. Also, going to the gym for the last year. Had to do it as I'd put on a bit of weight due to the job. Do about 1 hour when I go, just to do something. Use rowing machines, cycling machines, cross trainer and treadmill and vary it up for each 1 hour session. Try to keep it to 3-5 times a week.
    Have felt the difference since I started going. Am generally in a better mood and it has basically stopped my snacking, just have 3 squares a day.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I play rugby 3 times a week at the moment. If i wasnt playing rugby, i would go to the gym 3 times a week instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No, I don't get any exercise other than walking to and from college (which only takes about 15 minutes now that I'm living in Cork.) Last year when I walked to and from college it took me about 40 minutes, and tbh that's as much exercise as I'd ever done in one go.

I did TaeKwonDo for a few years and got to blue-tag grade. However, I did not notice any change in my weight, fitness or confidence so I gave it up.

I'm always saying I should go to the gym (free membership with student ID) so I might so that some time. Gym's look really intimidating though!

When I first started lifting/going to the gym I was also intimidated. This may sound mean but if you look around you will find, fairly easily, someone who is in worse shape than you. Obviously we shouldn't laugh at this but if it gives you the boost/confidence to say "I'm not actually that bad, and I can get better" then its ok. Also going early when its not busy is a good idea. Usually before 3 or 4 would be good. Atm between getting a new gym and back to college new years resolutions it might be a bit busier, but that dies down after six weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

During the season I train Tuesday and Thursday and play a game on a Sunday. Also play indoor on a Monday and do personal training on a Wednesday.

It's off season now though so it's indoor, personal training and 2 gym sessions to keep me ticking over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭DefenseSoapEire

I train in MMA and jiujitsu usually 3 times a week for 2 - 3 hours a session, I live less than 5 minutes away from a park so i usually walk a couple of laps every day just to clear my head after work and work up an appetite for dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I walk as much as possible during the week, avoid using lifts, escalators etc. and go hillwalking pretty much every weekend, 6-7 hours most times. No gyms for me, thank you, I prefer the great outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I try to get to the gym about 4 times per week

I do about 45 mins lifting each time and about 20 Mins cardio

Recently i've taken to (trying to) go for a short run, i'm trying to do this about 6 times a week (as replacement the 20 mins cardio after the gym on gym days).

Doesn't always happen though.

I dont really walk that much, desk job, difficult and semi-dangerous to get places here without a car, I do always take the stairs instead of the lifts whenever possible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I go to the gym 3 times a week ad lift weight and do a bit of cardio. On Sunday's then I'd go swimming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

Try to get at least one intense run in a week and I play soccer for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Please dont get on my case for this!

Running on a treadmill is fine of course, its exercise for sure, but it is not nearly as good for you as going for a real run on the road or around a park etc etc. For those of you who think that they need to do something about their overall health/wellbeing/fitness, consider a real run. I know that it is often hard to motivate yourself but its worth it. The feelgood factor of having gone is brilliant. Running doesnt require a gym membership, it doesnt require anyone but yourself, all it really does require is a decent pair of trainers! Sorry for the rant but as a runner myself it kills me to see people going to the gym for a 'run'!

Go for it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

All well and good, but with weather like this, my stationary bike and treadmill will be getting a pounding later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,044 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Would go to the gym 3 times a week lift some weights and use the bike to warm up then spend time on the tread climber and X trainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

cycling on my bike 2 times for 20 minutes followed by stretches is my limit.
    Unless you count gardening, housework and streaming energy process.

Tis a bugbear with me that being out of the house at 6.45 every morning and only back at 6pm leaves me very little time to do anything, or inclination tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

cycling to and from work for a total of 30 minutes every day.

beating up the boxing bag and doing weights 2 or 3 times a week.

extensive thumb excercise on xbox360, and immense index finger work at home and at work.

and I fit the girlfriend into my schedual aswell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Standard week; Tuesdays & thursdays about 2 hours Kenpo & saturdays 3 to 4 hours kenpo in kenpo class, Mondays, Wednesday & Fidays get home eat some eggs then some warm up, stretching, bit of kenpo then various types of sit ups, push ups, a small bit of cardio and a bunch of weight lifting.Losing weight sure is an uphill battle. :)and when I'm really REALLY good (note not in at least 2/3 weeks) I get up super early and go for a swim 3 days a week before work. (really need to keep doing that, bad lazy me!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Exercise about 5 times per week.

Usually 3 x MMA classes and 2 x weights.
    or.
    2 x MMA and 2 x gym, 1 x cardio (weights included in the cardio).

But haven't been doing weights recently as I'm working through a few injuries. Hopefully back on the weights next week... Doing as much cardio as possible this week (6 days last week) to shed the excess pounds from holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I play football twice a week, gym twice a week and run sometimes once a week.

Football adds up to 3 hours or so, the run another 30 minutes and the gym another 3 hours or so though I couldn't count that as CV training really.

Do you really only lift twice a week trib? :eek:

• Advertisement

Do you really only lift twice a week trib? :eek:

Since February yes due to my training taking on a different direction for a job. As that job is unlikely to happen (two weeks left before I know for definite) then I'll get back training three, maybe four times a week and maybe compete again in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

It seems that the recent health buzz that's gone on shines through here. But I know a lot of people in their twenties that do no exercise at all.

Myself, I found my exercise level dropped a lot when I left college. In college I used to walk fifteen minutes to classes at least once a day. I never thought anything of it, but as I walk quite fast it was beneficial, as was all the walking up and down stairs that was part of everyday life. On top of that, I played at least one hour of soccer a week - either indoor or astroturf. Then I left and was left with very little.

I had been with my previous employer during college and we used to have a weekly soccer game but this had fallen away in the intervening years. So I got that back up and running and for about an hour and a quarter every week I play that - astroturf, with lots of short sprints.

Other than that, I go for a walk on the beach or up by the Mahon Falls in the Comeragh mountains at least once a week with the dogs.

I have never liked gyms, much preferring outdoor exercise. I'd like to get more into playing soccer but I always found local clubs to be a sort of a closed shop when I was younger. But I might look into joining a low division team or something.

tribulus wrote: »
    Since February yes due to my training taking on a different direction for a job. As that job is unlikely to happen (two weeks left before I know for definite) then I'll get back training three, maybe four times a week and maybe compete again in April.

Good luck with that. Why did you have to change training cause of a job, was there training or a course needed? I had thought about competing but then I hurt my back so now I'm just looking to lift without making it worse. The chiropractor seems to think I will be able to compete at some stage though.

Sending PM Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭RPGGAMER

i break my bollix twice a week with the max effort stuff in the gym and do 2 speed sessions and two hypertrophy sessions in the 7 day week. and stretch every day. i do saunas and cold water and if you count sex then i do a lot of that too. and lots of walking too. about 2-3 hrs daily in total exercise. weights, walking, sex, dragging or flipping stuff too but only in summer or if it takes my fancy oh ya and of course my favourite, swimming and in the sea or river. maybe 1-2 in the months in the winter and 1-2 week in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭MrDaithi

I go the the gym 3 times a week minimum... sometimes 5 times a week (every other day) if I'm not too tired, or when really motivated before for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

I'm a rower. Mondays and Fridays are rest days but that doesnt mean you have it off, just means you take it easier than the other days! Yesterday I went for a 30km cycle for example, it was just taking it easy though, not a huge increase in heart rate. Fridays we generally have a technical session on the water. Tues through Thurs, train twice a day, am and pm, then 4 hour sessions Sat & Sun, compromising of weights, circuits and time on water. Mad I know but I absolutely love it. The feelgood factor is amazing at the end of each day:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm going to try to hit the gym 3-4 times a week over the winter for maybe an hour per session. Will focus on cardio stuff (treadmill and rowing machine) and maybe I'll try the weights too. Plus I hope to get 2-3 hours of surfing or windsurfing per week, not easy over the winter though. Now if I can get around to quitting the smokes I'll be sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

walk at least 40 minutes every day, and go to gym 2-3 times per week, where i mostly do cardio (treadmill, etc) and some weight machines. Also part of a volleyball club. Thinking of joining a couple of more clubs to replace gym though, as it gets very boring running on a treadmill staring at a wall 3 times a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

hey i play squash 3 times a week and soccer once a week but i get wicked fatigued afterwards i thinks its called an exercise hangover but it kinda maked you not want to bother ha

Advertisement