Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE - Man Utd as usual!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭avillan

sometimes the post match analysis better than the match .dunphy for match of the day !break the shearer lineker monotony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Mordeth wrote: »
    why?
    surely that's the best explanation for any television station.

Not when they are the State broadcaster. That comes with responsibilities.

They got a slap on the wrist for chasing ratings earlier in the year. Their mandate is to service the diverse needs of the country, not to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

kraggy wrote: »
    Their mandate is to service the diverse needs of the country, not to make money.

And the diversity in the country amounts to which British team you support? :rolleyes:

Dodge wrote: »
    And the diversity in the country amounts to which British team you support? :rolleyes:

What's with rolleyes?

Yes as a matter of fact. There is a demand for watching games that involve a variety of British teams on Irish television but RTE aren't splitting the air time fairly.

Believe me, I wish they were showing and thus financially supporting Galway Utd every week but they're not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

why?

you see if we didn't pay to run this tv station then you couldn't question the choice - but as we do pay for it they should offer more of a mix in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

why?

Any COMMERCIAL station. RTÉ's brief is to serve the public interest. If there are 3 United fans for every Arsenal fan, they should show 1 in 4 Arsenal games,

Yes as a matter of fact. There is a demand for watching games that involve a variety of British teams on Irish television but RTE aren't splitting the air time fairly
    So you're saying they should base it on demand, or based on fairness? Make up your mind

Honest to god, have people nothing more to worry about. Its been explained plenty of times to you all. RTE show whatever they think will get most revenue. Fairness and your own bias have nothing to do with it, and the fact some of you think the champions league rights are a public service shows how warped the view of football is with some

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The red button on Sky Sports is a godsend.
    Can watch the best footballing sides in Europe as opposed to being limited to the greatness that is the Premiership.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I wonder do RTE ever take neutral fans into account? No neutral football fan would rather watch Aalborg V United (a very poor team trying to keep scorelines respectable against a much stronger side) than Arsenal V Porto (two teams renowned for playing attractive style of football).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Galvasean wrote: »
    I wonder do RTE ever take neutral fans into account? No neutral football fan would rather watch Aalborg V United (a very poor team trying to keep scorelines respectable against a much stronger side) than Arsenal V Porto (two teams renowned for playing attractive style of football).

As it turns out, the Arsenal game was more one-sided. If I'd been there, I'd have prefered to see the Celtic games.

Of course, life gets a little easier in the next few weeks when Celtic play United back to back.

Thank **** for streamed online TV!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 limerick-kev24

This thread is just for people who are obviously jealous of Manchester uniteds success-nobody would complain if it was liverpool and marseille or celtic and alborg.

Why should rte think of the neutral fans? They are showed a game that would have generated a lot more interest than a celtic or arsenal match therefore generating more revenue, surely you dont think they sit in an office and worry what u guys are thinking!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So you're saying they should base it on demand, or based on fairness? Make up your mind

Honest to god, have people nothing more to worry about. Its been explained plenty of times to you all. RTE show whatever they think will get most revenue. Fairness and your own bias have nothing to do with it, and the fact some of you think the champions league rights are a public service shows how warped the view of football is with some
    Exactly. Showing English football on Irish TV is no more different than RTE showing an American drama series. You wouldn't have people complaining if RTE were showing Sopranos instead of Lost if it was proven that Sopranos got the bigger ratings, although mind you it's Ireland so you probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

This thread is just for people who are obviously jealous of Manchester uniteds success-nobody would complain if it was liverpool and marseille or celtic and alborg.

They would if it was 3 years of constantly showing Liverpool, or Celtic.
    Why should rte think of the neutral fans? They are showed a game that would have generated a lot more interest than a celtic or arsenal match therefore generating more revenue, surely you dont think they sit in an office and worry what u guys are thinking!!!1

There's a large number of people who support Man United. there's also a large number who support Liverpool, Arsenal, Celtic and other teams.
    Then there's quite a lot of people who just like watching good matches, without any allegiance to a particular time.

There's no way that United fans outnumber all the other groups combined.

Before the game, on paper, there's no way the Aalborg-United game was going to be better television than Arsenal-Porto. Even Villareal-Celtic looked like a better competitive match.

I watched the United and Arsenal games side-by-side on two big screens, and I know while both were fairly one sided, at least Porto made something of a game of it in the first half. And there was far better football from both sides than in the United game. If ITV was as readily available as RTE (without having to jump through hoops on the Sky platform), a large number of people would have been watching ITV.

RTE shouldn't be just about making money, they should be providing entertainment.

There's no way a decision to show Aalborg-United can be justified as an unbiased decision to show the most entertaining match with the widest interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

This thread is just for people who are obviously jealous of Manchester uniteds success

Well done. You win the prize.

You do realise Liverpool have been more suiuccessful in the CL that United over the last four or five years...?

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Well done. You win the prize.

what a twat......

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You do realise Liverpool have been more suiuccessful in the CL that United over the last four years...?

And your point?
    When i said uniteds success, i meant domestically as well as in the european league, and im sure any honest liverpool fan would give up there "succesful 4 years" for one premiership title :P

And your point?
    When i said uniteds success, i meant domestically as well as in the european league, and im sure any honest liverpool fan would give up there "succesful 4 years" for one premiership title :P

I assumed you were making the point that is was valid of RTE to show the competition's most successful competitors, which in this case is not Man United. My poit should be self-explanatory as it stands.

This thread is nothing to do with Liverpool fans/Man United fans or the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

And your point?

To the best of my knowledge no english club has ever won the League Of Ireland

For all the good coverage and as much as it is good to see the team you support playing in europe, there were better games they could have shown last night and any manU fan I know who knows anything about football would not have minded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what a twat......
    I could never say such a thing.

• Advertisement

Both actually. If you read my post properly you'd understand.

There is a demand to see many clubs from Britain play in the Champions League. Indeed, some more than others.

However, there should not be an emphasis on just 2 of these teams as there is a demand to watch others as well. I'm not saying that they should broadcast each team the same number of times, but at at least show each team at least once or twice in the course of the group stages and stages thereafter.

They have a duty to serve the requirements of the public and they are not doing this by only showing Manchester United and Liverpool. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less if they never showed any Champions League. I'm merely making a point about the responsibilities of RTE as State broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I would have the answer is pretty simple - there are more United fans than Arsenal or Celtic combined so tv ratings will be higher.

I'm merely making a point about the responsibilities of RTE as State broadcaster.

They do not have any responsibilty to show any Champions League.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

gscully wrote: »
    For the last three seasons (at least), our national station has chosen to show all of Man Utd's champions league matches live. Tonight, they show them playing away to Aalborg! At the same time, Celtic play Villareal and Arsenal entertain Porto - both games infinitely more appealing.

What is their obsession with Utd? Even their own panelists said last year how much they would love to be watching the Arsenal games instead.

As a TV licence payer, can I not be entitled to expect some diversity from RTE? By not showing Celtic tonight, they can't have us believe it's a question of demographics.

I'm seriously fed up of having to access the Arsenal games on ITV4!

United > Arsenal + Celtic

Advertisement