Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE - Man Utd as usual!

Options
  • 30-09-2008 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

For the last three seasons (at least), our national station has chosen to show all of Man Utd's champions league matches live. Tonight, they show them playing away to Aalborg! At the same time, Celtic play Villareal and Arsenal entertain Porto - both games infinitely more appealing.

What is their obsession with Utd? Even their own panelists said last year how much they would love to be watching the Arsenal games instead.

As a TV licence payer, can I not be entitled to expect some diversity from RTE? By not showing Celtic tonight, they can't have us believe it's a question of demographics.

I'm seriously fed up of having to access the Arsenal games on ITV4!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I would have the answer is pretty simple - there a more United fans than Arsenal or Celtic so tv ratings will be higher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

YEW NIE TED
    YEW NIE TED

tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I would have the answer is pretty simple - there a more United fans than Arsenal or Celtic so tv ratings will be higher.

And this in turn means they can charge more for the advertising which results in them having more money to bid for the television rights to the games.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

gscully wrote: »
    As a TV licence payer, can I not be entitled to expect some diversity from RTE?

Yes, your Irish Tv license entitles you to watch one British team play a Danish team instead of another British team playing a Spanish side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

For the last three seasons (at least), our national station has chosen to show all of Man Utd's champions league matches live. Tonight, they show them playing away to Aalborg! At the same time, Celtic play Villareal and Arsenal entertain Porto - both games infinitely more appealing.

What is their obsession with Utd? Even their own panelists said last year how much they would love to be watching the Arsenal games instead.

As a TV licence payer, can I not be entitled to expect some diversity from RTE? By not showing Celtic tonight, they can't have us believe it's a question of demographics.

I'm seriously fed up of having to access the Arsenal games on ITV4!

Although I agree with you. At least you can watch the Arsenal match for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This all depends: are RTE sporting journalists (in which case, they're oblighed to remain neutral) or are they giving prefernetial treatment to one club (in which case, they need a better explanation for their bias than "it brings in more revenue").

I'll only accept the arguments in the posts above when only Man United fans have to pay the licence.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

(in which case, they need a better explanation than "it brings in more revenue").

why?
    surely that's the best explanation for any television station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Mordeth wrote: »
    why?
    surely that's the best explanation for any television station.

When it comes to the premier league, Sky and Setanta diversify their coverage, while in the FA cup, the BBC would often show non-league teams play.

The fact is that RTE are not playing fair. I don't believe there are more Utd fans than Celtic fans in Ireland. That may well have been the case back in the 80s when everyone was either Utd or Liverpool (as an Arsenal fan, I had to choose one or the other in street football matches), but nowadays, you can walk down the street and see guys wearing shirts from any number of teams.

exactly, you probably have a few thosuand more newcastle supporters and a few thousand more spurs supporters but a small number of new fans for other teams would only take a small amount away from the huge base UTD has here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Hoover

It's all about revenue and surely showing the the Champions league holders, MANCHESTER UTD will generate more income than other lesser appealing teams .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,230 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

When it comes to the premier league, Sky and Setanta diversify their coverage, while in the FA cup, the BBC would often show non-league teams play.

The fact is that RTE are not playing fair. I don't believe there are more Utd fans than Celtic fans in Ireland. That may well have been the case back in the 80s when everyone was either Utd or Liverpool (as an Arsenal fan, I had to choose one or the other in street football matches), but nowadays, you can walk down the street and see guys wearing shirts from any number of teams.

Sky and Setanta diversify because they HAVE to. Maybe it is not the only reason but the fact remains that it is in the contract agreements they sign that every premiership club has to be shown on TV a minimum number of times during the season. Also, if they didn't show the other teams, those fans would be less likely to buy a Sky Sports/Setanta Sub.

As for tonight, I'm delighted they are not showing the Arsenal game anyway - as that can be seen for free on ITV. Also, Sky Sports aren't showing the United game (they are showing the Celtic game) so for tonight they are the only station showing the United game.

In general though, I would like to see more variety from them, maybe base their calls on ITV, so that both stations don't show the same game. Always annoys me when they show the same match, as the vast majority of the viewing public will have access to both channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    This all depends: are RTE sporting journalists (in which case, they're oblighed to remain neutral) or are they giving prefernetial treatment to one club (in which case, they need a better explanation for their bias than "it brings in more revenue").
    Why do they need explain it? The reason is quite clear.
    Yes RTE is partly state funded but not to the extent the BBC is where they can show first round FA Cup matches featuring lower league teams during prime time.
    RTE have to play to viewing figures to increase revenue, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The BBC only show non-league teams when they rearrange the games to kick off at lunch time on a Saturday or Sunday. They would never show Kidderminster vs Derby at the same time United vs West Ham was on.

Why should RTE play fair?

And I believe there are more proper United fans than proper Celtic fans. Just cause Anto and Jonner walk down O'Connell Street in Celtic shirts doesn't mean they actually sit down and watch the games. It's part of the 'uniform' at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Plus the lads in the studio (Beeeeeeeel, Dunphy and the rest) don't really know much about any other team in the world apart from Man United so it wouldn't make for a lively discussion if someone else was playing. Sure, they practically know nothing about Ireland other champions league qualified team Liverpool - and they play just 130 miles away!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

Tauren wrote: »
    As for tonight, I'm delighted they are not showing the Arsenal game anyway - as that can be seen for free on ITV. Also, Sky Sports aren't showing the United game (they are showing the Celtic game) so for tonight they are the only station showing the United game.

I think the United game is on ITV4 too

• Registered Users Posts: 45,230 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

dubmick wrote: »
    I think the United game is on ITV4 too
    oh yeah, forgot about that. Is ITV4 freely available? I have it tuned in on my sky box, but could people on cable packages get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Why do they need explain it? The reason is quite clear.
    Yes RTE is partly state funded but not to the extent the BBC is where they can show first round FA Cup matches featuring lower league teams during prime time.
    RTE have to play to viewing figures to increase revenue, simple as.

i Don't agree - ITV (who just rely totally on commercial revenue) are showing the Arsenal game tonight. Probably down to the point that it will be a much more competitive match that the United match.

I'd like to know who's going to stay with RTE if United are hammering them 4-0 at half time. That match really looks like a one-sided game. And don't forget some people don't have access to ITV still so they'll not have the option.

So what's the betting that Celtic and Arsenal will be ignored for the next four matchdays due to Manchester United being played. It's ridiculous!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

iseegirls wrote: »
    i Don't agree - ITV (who just rely totally on commercial revenue) are showing the Arsenal game tonight. Probably down to the point that it will be a much more competitive match that the United match.

I'd like to know who's going to stay with RTE if United are hammering them 4-0 at half time. That match really looks like a one-sided game. And don't forget some people don't have access to ITV still so they'll not have the option.

So what's the betting that Celtic and Arsenal will be ignored for the next four matchdays due to Manchester United being played. It's ridiculous!!!:mad:

Your forgetting that itv are english based...therefore would have alot more arsenal fans than rte would in Ireland.

Its simple. In Ireland Man United have prefrence closely followed by Liverpool. Alot of the celtic support in Ireland arent real fans and therefore would never bother to watch Celtic unless it was an AC Milan or a Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

This really bugs me too. They always show Liverpool \ United matches ahead of Arsenal and to a lesser extent Chelsea. This is despite the opposition.

As a fan of none of the champions league teams I'd much perfer to watch Arsenal vs Proto instead of United vs Aalborg. As the match will be of better quality.

As for the excuse of there being more United than Arsenal fans, surely there are more fans of all the other teams who just want to watch the best match that is on that night, than there are united fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

there are far more people in the Republic supporting football teams other than the Salford Red Sox but this is RTE were talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

matrim wrote: »
    This really bugs me too. They always show Liverpool \ United matches ahead of Arsenal and to a lesser extent Chelsea.

Agreed. Our state sponsor should consider dividing up the midweek screenings of British teams a bit more evenly in the interest of fairness.

In fact I feel that British team Keltic are sometimes forgotten in the mix by RTE because there's people at montrose who incorrectly presume them to be an Irish club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

By not showing Celtic tonight, they can't have us believe it's a question of demographics.

I doubt that RTE earn much from advertising Dutch Gold & ARGOS sovereign rings during games involving Celtic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

matrim wrote: »
    As a fan of none of the champions league teams I'd much perfer to watch Arsenal vs Proto instead of United vs Aalborg. As the match will be of better quality.

I'd prefer to watch Bayern v Lyon. Easily the biggest game of the night. But I'll miss most of it as I'll be on my way home from the UEFA Cup game in Dublin tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

the thanks function really isn't working is it? Someone says something funny / smart / self righteous and people say thanks?

So the question remains unanaswered:

Are sporting journalists required to be neutral? Need a poll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So the question remains unanaswered:

Are sporting journalists required to be neutral? Need a poll!

No!

Dodge wrote: »
    I'd prefer to watch Bayern v Lyon. Easily the biggest game of the night. But I'll miss most of it as I'll be on my way home from the UEFA Cup game in Dublin tonight.

Good game too!

Top game tonight must be Bate v Juventus. Juve coming from 2-0 down to draw level in a very attacking game. RTE must alienate more viewers by showing Man U than they attract - I wouldn't sully my eyes with them :p - so the old revenue argument doesn't hold up, unless the ads at half time are for panty pads and Ritz :D

nipplenuts wrote: »
    No!

.....because.....?? This isn't the Junior Cert, you do actually have to provide backup here!

.....because.....?? This isn't the Junior Cert, you do actually have to provide backup here!

Hhehehe. They are only required to report. There is no neutrality required, that's why you have some who are less reliable than others for match reports.

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Hhehehe. They are only required to report. There is no neutrality required, that's why you have some who are less reliable than others for match reports.

Eh? "Report"? I;ve have thought reporting would require more neutrality than sports journalism!

Advertisement