Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No love for old school gameplay?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I've developed a deep hatred of unlockables and achievements. It's just trying to create a fake sense of accomplishment in games that don't have any challenge.

A game should be played for its own sake, not for some bull**** tokens.

One issue I have with the saving function is the difficulty is damn near impossible to balance properly. If you get to a new level and can play on from that point indefinately (essentially infinite lives) then they have to make it much harder to compensate.

In a coin-op you had a finite number of lives, you reach a hard boss and get dumped back to the start of the game again to practice and hone your skills. In a modern action game you get to the boss, it saves and you have to play the boss over and over until you kill him on the 30th go. It's a stressful experience and accounts for why so many games get left gathering on the shelf nowadays when people get stuck. If they got sent back to an easier level at the start, it's intially dissapointing but it serves as a good pressure release so people don't go mad with frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Hi all,sorry I havent read the previous posts but just in case nobody has mentioned it-
    Bionic Commando FTW baby!
    Was it on the NES or SNES I cant remember,what a class game:D

Pffft, NES :rolleyes: C64 was where that game was really at. Anything from NES onwards cannot be called Old School ! The various Atari consoles, Atari 600/800/ST, C64/Amiga, any of the Spectrums are all old school you young whipper snappers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Mneh, not everybody could afford a home computer. Or convince their parents it was educational.

I was lucky enough to start off with a C64, but when it broke my parents bought me an Atari 2600. This must have been in 1989 or so when it was getting seriously past its sell by date. Man, I really hated that piece of ****. Not an ounce of nostalgia for it. Thank god they got me a Mega Drive in 1991 or It might have put me off gaming for good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jip wrote: »
    Pffft, NES :rolleyes: C64 was where that game was really at. Anything from NES onwards cannot be called Old School ! The various Atari consoles, Atari 600/800/ST, C64/Amiga, any of the Spectrums are all old school you young whipper snappers.

the C64 version was an okay port of a poor arcade game. The nes game took a totally different approach to the arcade game and made a much better game.

I too don't have much love for the C64. I had mine well past it's sell by date and was annoyed how few good games there were on it. There were a few classics but most of the games were dreadful compared to the professionally produced japanese games on the consoles.

Advertisement