Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Sniper Tactics

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I thought it wasn't good sniper practice to hide in trees (vague memory of some reading years ago); something to do with lack of visibility and an escape route or summat??

They don't sit up in trees because as soon as the shot is taken or their Recce is finished they've to start their exfil as well as the fact that they work in pairs, best of luck finding a tree that can hold 2 lads in full kit. Now imagine you've just taken a shot, obviously alerting the enemy and both you and your spotter have to start climbing down a tree then head back to your hide, grab your kit and leg it... There's no sense in it.

Instead they just set up OP's or do CTR's. No trees involved :p

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

Poccington wrote: »
    They don't sit up in trees because as soon as the shot is taken or their Recce is finished they've to start their exfil as well as the fact that they work in pairs,

In response i'll quote VTEC:
    "ive spent many a time sitting in a tree for up to an hour at times just waiting and picking off targets"

They can't really exfil after taking a shot cos they'll give away their position. At airsoft ranges they're probably better off sitting still and hoping they weren't spotted.

Plus the 2nd of the pair could be far from the sniper ... that's what radios are for. :pac:

In response i'll quote VTEC:
    "ive spent many a time sitting in a tree for up to an hour at times just waiting and picking off targets"

They can't really exfil after taking a shot cos they'll give away their position. At airsoft ranges they're probably better off sitting still and hoping they weren't spotted.

Plus the 2nd of the pair could be far from the sniper ... that's what radios are for. :pac:

Then what happens when they have to take the shot and all those calculations have to be done? They can't be done over a radio.

And they most certainly do begin to exfil once the shot has been taken.

Sitting in a tree is all well and good for a quick little game but no sniper in their right mind would ever take up a position in a tree, it's practically suicide.

Then what happens when they have to take the shot and all those calculations have to be done? They can't be done over a radio.

What calculations? This is airsoft!
    And they most certainly do begin to exfil once the shot has been taken.

Not necessarily, even in real life it just depends on the situation.
    Sitting in a tree is all well and good for a quick little game but no sniper in their right mind would ever take up a position in a tree, it's practically suicide.

Well I did question the sense of sniping from a tree as I don't agree with it but I have to bow down to the knowledge of actual snipers on this list.

What calculations? This is airsoft!

Not necessarily, even in real life it just depends on the situation.

Well I did question the sense of sniping from a tree as I don't agree with it but I have to bow down to the knowledge of actual snipers on this list.

You said a Sniper pair could be far away from each other... I gave a realistic reason why they wouldn't be. Another reason would be who's giving the shooter security if his spotter is in a different location?

In real life, a sniper tries to exfil as quickly as possible.

Are we talking actual snipers as in Airsoft snipers or actual sniper? Cause if we're talking actual snipers I can tell you for a fact they would't be going near trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

snipers dont use trees we blend in with the vegetation,being that hi gives you a silhouette in the sky so it dose not work.staying low to the ground with good concealment is key remember the 5 s's of stealth shape shine shadow silhouette and space first 4 are the main ones 5th is just for when your moving now that the only tip i giving for free haha

You said a Sniper pair could be far away from each other... I gave a realistic reason why they wouldn't be. Another reason would be who's giving the shooter security if his spotter is in a different location?

Are we talking actual snipers as in Airsoft snipers or actual sniper? Cause if we're talking actual snipers I can tell you for a fact they would't be going near trees.
    snipers dont use bloody trees now drop it haha.

The sniper pair could be far (relatively, i'm talking metres not miles) from each other ... there are no calculations to be done and the "spotter" could easily provide support/security from 20-30m away.

Well that would depend on the situation but anyway we're talking airsoft here.

1. I said we're talking airsoft!
    2. For real snipers I know, i've already said that.

one more thing even in real world sniping it is not protocol to run after you take a shot,in actual fact the training says 'after you take the shot wait,the enemy might not have seen where you have fired from if they fire on your position return fire to buy your spotter time to get the gear together.oh and stay out of trees hahaaha:D

amaughan wrote: »
    snipers dont use trees

In airsoft some would appear to do so.
    Next time i'm in SAC I'll know to keep my eyes only on the ground when you're about :D
    one more thing even in real world sniping it is not protocol to run after you take a shot,in actual fact the training says 'after you take the shot wait,the enemy might not have seen where you have fired from if they fire on your position return fire to buy your spotter time to get the gear together.oh and stay out of trees hahaaha

True, you probably shouldn't even move to reload your gun as the slightest movement could give you away.

• Advertisement

in airsoft there is a lot of stupid mistakes and inexperienced misinformed players haha.yeah but lucky for the maquis sniper team we have picked up a few things hahaha like staying out of trees hahaha:D;):rolleyes:

one more thing even in real world sniping it is not protocol to run after you take a shot,in actual fact the training says 'after you take the shot wait,the enemy might not have seen where you have fired from if they fire on your position return fire to buy your spotter time to get the gear together.oh and stay out of trees hahaaha:D

There's no running involved on an exfil.... Just lots and lots of very, very slow crawling :p

There's no running involved on an exfil.... Just lots and lots of very, very slow crawling :p
    you know what i mean hahaha anal ha;)

in airsoft there is a lot of stupid mistakes and inexperienced misinformed players haha.yeah but lucky for the maquis sniper team we have picked up a few things hahaha like staying out of trees hahaha:D;):rolleyes:

To be fair airsoft IS different than real life so real rules/practices don't really apply most of the time.

To be fair airsoft IS different than real life so real rules/practices don't really apply most of the time.
    real rules/practices actually do apply alot more than people would think just not with the gun handeling but when it comes to concealment there is nothing better than learning from the lads that do it for real

real rules/practices actually do apply alot more than people would think just not with the gun handeling but when it comes to concealment there is nothing better than learning from the lads that do it for real

I agree (on concealment etc) and disagree. In real life you'd need to keep your head down at any range. In airsoft just stand slightly out of range and give your enemy the fingers safe in the knowledge that they can't hit you. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Allow me to put my 2 cents in here.
    My team were hunting a sniper once who took out the entire squad on his own twice. This man was liamo and he swears by trees. vtec did the same to me and 1 other who had infinite regen and we never found him.

So hiding in trees works extremely well when you are concealed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

To be honest you come across as having watched too many episodes of BBC's "SAS secrets".
    A lot of real world tactics dont apply to airsoft, one key factor is the fact that airsoft snipers make very little noise when they fire. real snipers make a rediculously loud noise.
    Its also worth pointing out that i dont think any of us are professionally trained snipers, were just guys with toys that copy the" big boys". pointing out how one person is doing something in a wrong way is pointless unless you have the qualification to do better. afterall for the most part the only professional training we can get would be reading about tips and seeing techniques on TV.,

if you havent used the trees then you are at a serious disadvantage IMO, There have been times when ive taken out whole teams from my tree locations, including my first visit to fingal where i got a great location and even though i didnt know the land very well i had a big advantage over the other team simply because i could see a lot more than they could. from that position i was pretty easy to hold off the enemy attack by just waiting for them to fire so they could cover the noise i was making.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭NakedHedgehog

The other thing is that real world snipers engage at a hell of a bigger distance than airsoft snipers would - being as it is that everyone's got the same range in airsoft (theoretically anyway).

Certain real-world tactics work well (room clearing for one thing - though I've seen some people doing "real-world-style" clearing with far too many people pouring into a room), others need to be adapted for airsoft and yet others would get you killed in the real world and visa versa.

vtec wrote: »
    To be honest you come across as having watched too many episodes of BBC's "SAS secrets".
    A lot of real world tactics dont apply to airsoft, one key factor is the fact that airsoft snipers make very little noise when they fire. real snipers make a rediculously loud noise.
    Its also worth pointing out that i dont think any of us are professionally trained snipers, were just guys with toys that copy the" big boys". pointing out how one person is doing something in a wrong way is pointless unless you have the qualification to do better. afterall for the most part the only professional training we can get would be reading about tips and seeing techniques on TV.,

if you havent used the trees then you are at a serious disadvantage IMO, There have been times when ive taken out whole teams from my tree locations, including my first visit to fingal where i got a great location and even though i didnt know the land very well i had a big advantage over the other team simply because i could see a lot more than they could. from that position i was pretty easy to hold off the enemy attack by just waiting for them to fire so they could cover the noise i was making.,

ha ha ha yeah i do love my sas hahaha.yes airsoft snipers make very little noise but thats an advantage it does not have any negitive effect on the practice of the airsoft sniper.

pointing out how someone is doing something wrong is worth doing imo as we can all learn from each other and being honest i love when people point out my faults as i can then fix that mistake and addapt.

as for the tree thing i suppose what ever works for you because the role of the sniper in airsoft is best learned through trial and error.

i just dont like trees its too robin hood haha but what ever works for you man

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

it was actually as widely used tactic by the Vietcong in the war and it was very sucessful.,:)

Advertisement