Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Sniper Tactics

Options
  • 29-09-2008 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Appreciate any tactical tips or links for subject problem. What's the received wisdom to trap and eliminate an airsoft sniper? (Rubs welt on forehead from one of today's kills).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

woot we can be welt brothers i have one too from a sniper at HRTA today :)
    Tbh when you travel in a squad a sniper is easy to take out once he isnt smart and behind you...

Fire and maneuver. He's only got a bolt action and is likely to be dug in.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

So going lone man or 2 is a bad idea. A squad of 3 or 4 well spread is the optimum - as in the real world?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Overcome by superior firepower.

Kick his ass from several positions at once, once you've got his location and his attention, drop everything on him.:D

Ahem...teamwork, thats the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

tonky wrote: »
    Appreciate any tactical tips or links for subject problem. What's the received wisdom to trap and eliminate an airsoft sniper? (Rubs welt on forehead from one of today's kills).

here you go http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53505107&postcount=1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

splitting up is a very bad idea, i always say, space out but stay within 15-20ft in travelling formation. so when the sniper fires on someone the rest are close enough to react but far enough to make re-targeting them difficult for the sniper.,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

Close on the sniper in a pincer move with a second man firing short bursts from the hip to discomfort him :D Make sure you zig-zag when you move (It works!) Once you get into effective range one attacker should drop to a stable firing position for accurate fire while the second attacker keeps pressing forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Fiach Dubh wrote: »
    Close on the sniper in a pincer move with a second man firing short bursts from the hip to discomfort him :D Make sure you zig-zag when you move (It works!) Once you get into effective range one attacker should drop to a stable firing position for accurate fire while the second attacker keeps pressing forward.

You obviously never watched Generation Kill!

Actually I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

tonky wrote: »
    So going lone man or 2 is a bad idea. A squad of 3 or 4 well spread is the optimum - as in the real world?

In the real world you'd call on your mortars or artillery to hose the area if you thought there was a sniper.

I saw a sniper in the Glen of Imaal go up against a section of 9. Wasn't long before 8 of the 9 were "dead".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Site-Ops

Hunting snipers is difficult but a couple of things that may help are -

Move in pairs with 10 meters between groups.... move zig zag... dont just look down and horizontal dont forget to look up. We had an instance not too long ago where one of the snipers was in a tree it was dusk and hard to see but.... what gave the sniper away was his lense on the scope... he moved his head and one of our lads spotted the shine coming through the back of the scope from the tree.... Lets just say the tree got hurt. Move slow also and listen good if possible come from different angles when hunting and not all back to back in the same direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

As Iceage says "Teamwork".

Flush out the sniper using 2-3 team members firing in & around the sniper's position. The other 1-2 team members navigates their way around behind the sniper's position & eliminates same.

Usually the sniper is not the real problem, it's the spotter or support unit.
    A half decent sniper won't be easily found & should be able to move positions with ease.

Stealth, luck & teamwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

One question I have.

If all the airsoft guns have a limited power, would all the guns not have the same range regardless of type?

How would you have an airsoft sniper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Site-Ops

Jumpy wrote: »
    One question I have.

If all the airsoft guns have a limited power, would all the guns not have the same range regardless of type?

How would you have an airsoft sniper?

The Sniper will be hiding and normal rule is ONE hit and your out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

One word: listen. Unless the person is using a rifle with an upgraded bolt, you'll likely hear a recocking, particularly if the sniper isn't practiced or is being harassed since that's usually when careful recocking goes out the window.
    It's not going to work all the time, but it's the simplest tactic of all and it does work. I've gotten rough location fixes on sniper based on where I heard the faint click of the bolt shunting back and been able to give direction/warning to others. Bolt action rifles are quieter than aeg's, but they're not silent.

Actually I have.

Then you should know that:
    Running in a serpentine fashion = bad
    Running in a straight line = good

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sean.carolan100

Nooooo people don't help him kill us snipers ! whhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahah :(:(:(:(:( :'( : ' ( :'(

mcgovern wrote: »
    Then you should know that:
    Running in a serpentine fashion = bad
    Running in a straight line = good

The OP asked how to take out an Airsoft sniper, not a real world sniper. The balistics of a BB and a bullet are nothing alike so zig-zagging is better then moving in a straight line. My team have used this tactic a number of times and it works, end of story.

The OP asked how to take out an Airsoft sniper, not a real world sniper. The balistics of a BB and a bullet are nothing alike so zig-zagging is better then moving in a straight line. My team have used this tactic a number of times and it works, end of story.

+1 to that.,
    as a sniper i can tell you is a bastid trying to hit a sidewards moving target, simply because the BB is never bang on the crosshair anyway and even for a stationary target, requires a slight bit of windage compensation. that combined with a moving target is a nightmare.,
    In that situation i wouldnt shoot at all. they stand a much bigger chance of hitting me than i do of getting them. sit. lie low, dont move. wait for them to pass and take out the rear gaurd. then relocate to somewhere they would have concidered a safe fallback point. they wont expect to be attacked from there.,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Two words...

Air.

Strike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Jimbobak47

I say mow them down, I mean make them wish they had never been born! Show no mercy have your FSG cut them down (inc surrounding area) to pieces ;) It works well when if everyone works together. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Two words...

Air.

Strike.

Might be an idea to fire it through the chronometer first.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuniKsBxZ10
    ...though looking at my wee blue one, I'm not sure it'd do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Air Strike.

yes :D

Who pee'd in your cornflakes? :D
    You are forgetting though that zig zaging between cover exposes you for longer.
    If you are charging the sniper head on then zig zaging will work, but if you are moving from cover to cover to get to him, the less time you are exposed the better imo.

What if hes elevated?

which is often the case. i would always go for a position that gave me overhead visibility. trees are perfect since you can bend in a load of branches to disguise yourself up there and can fire on people even when their down behind cover.,

vtec wrote: »
    What if hes elevated?

which is often the case. i would always go for a position that gave me overhead visibility. trees are perfect since you can bend in a load of branches to disguise yourself up there and can fire on people even when their down behind cover.,

I thought it wasn't good sniper practice to hide in trees (vague memory of some reading years ago); something to do with lack of visibility and an escape route or summat??

mcgovern wrote: »
    Who pee'd in your cornflakes? :D
    You are forgetting though that zig zaging between cover exposes you for longer.
    If you are charging the sniper head on then zig zaging will work, but if you are moving from cover to cover to get to him, the less time you are exposed the better imo.

I never said anything about zig-zagging between cover. I was talking about assaulting a sniper over open ground. A good sniper will usually try to set up in a position were the enemy will have to cover open ground if they want to get close to him, not hard to do at HRTA because of the layout, there's some good killzones for snipers.

well, if you dont miss then youve nothing to worry about.,lol

In reality a snipers hide should always be easy enough to escape from but this doesnt necessarily have to apply to airsoft. as for visibility, you wont get any better than the view from a tree. ive spent many a time sitting in a tree for up to an hour at times just waiting and picking off targets any the majority of the time they havent a clue where the hell i am.

vtec wrote: »
    well, if you dont miss then youve nothing to worry about.,lol

In reality a snipers hide should always be easy enough to escape from but this doesnt necessarily have to apply to airsoft. as for visibility, you wont get any better than the view from a tree. ive spent many a time sitting in a tree for up to an hour at times just waiting and picking off targets any the majority of the time they havent a clue where the hell i am.

I would have thought branches & leaves would cut your visibility not to mention deflect your shots. Though, I admit I haven't spent much time up trees to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Site-Ops wrote: »
    Hunting snipers is difficult but a couple of things that may help are -

Move in pairs with 10 meters between groups.... move zig zag... dont just look down and horizontal dont forget to look up. We had an instance not too long ago where one of the snipers was in a tree it was dusk and hard to see but.... what gave the sniper away was his lense on the scope... he moved his head and one of our lads spotted the shine coming through the back of the scope from the tree.... Lets just say the tree got hurt. Move slow also and listen good if possible come from different angles when hunting and not all back to back in the same direction.

haha i remember that game that was me that saw the light of what was left of the sun coming thru the optics it was still a good game though not for the sniper though :P

Advertisement