Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Kay's new show next month on Channel 4

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I'm not sure what's gone wrong for PK. I love his standup. I can repeatedly watch Phoenix Nights. I thought 'That Peter Kay Things' was wonderfully observed as well.

I suspect that without Spikey and Fitzmaurice he doesn't have the quality control he had before; it's not that he's less funny as such, but rather that more of the 'less funny' jokes make it into the final product, and he doesn't have to work as hard.

the trouble is that he's not reaching the dizzy heights of Phoenix Nights; i don't, for a minute, discount the opinions of people who enjoyed last nights show(s) but I would ask them all "Have you seen Phoenix Nights?".

THAT'S your high watermark of Kays comedic ability and since then he's been treading water. He's not without talent, but he is without the comedic foils he had previously which made him constantly raise his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Vixen Sexlectra

You Not think he just so attractive as that Gerdaline singer one??

:rolleyes: Tee Hee :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Though that was absolute cack. I kept waiting for it to kick in, but it didn't. The whole thing could have been condensed into about 20 mins.

I think it is becoming very clear that Spikey and Fitzmaurice had alot to do with the quality of Kay's earlier material. That Peter Kay thing and PN are head above shoulders anything he has done since PN wrapped up.

There are alot of stories surfacing about Kay being an absolute cock, and that his ego has gotten the better of him. As early as 2003, Spikey had this to say:
    Interviewer: Is there any jealousy from yourself or Neil Fitzmaurice about the credit Peter seemed to take on his own for Phoenix Nights?

Spikey: No jealousy on my part. If it wasn’t for my involvement I’d still be working at the hospital, looking down a microscope - some days I’d even switch it on! Having said that, we were pissed off that he accepted the British Comedy Award for Best Writer for Phoenix Nights when it is, as you say, scripted by the three of us. We queried why we had been excluded and were never given a satisfactory answer.

My other main gripe with him is that his standup material hasn't changed since he realised his first DVD. Each DVD is a nigh on replica of the last, rehashing old jokes of garlic bread and uncle knobhead.

I would love to see Kay return to the form of old, as some of his early stuff was genius. However, I feel that this has probably been made impossible by his own ego and greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

I thought that this was a massive disappointment. Like others here I'm a big fan of Peter Kay's ( and Dave Spikey's and Neil Fitzmaurice's :)) earlier work and stand-up, so I was waiting all week for this.

I just felt that the whole thing fell flat. One of it's major problems was that it was over-long. People are so familiar with this type of reality format that there was no need for a full length results show or even final.

Why have them both sing the final song? It happens on the shows granted but there was no joke there, it's not funny.

It could have been an amusing 30 to 45 mins but it was borderline torturous.

Most people have echoed my feelings about the show so I won't repeat them but I do think the three judges should've been played by actors.

Waterman, Chapman and Fox did the best they could but by having actors Kay could've gone to town with the idea, ramping up the pomposity and gushing praise that the judges dole out. Perhaps he felt he needed some normality to contrast the other "characters but you just felt you'd seen it all before.

You know the bit at the end of Phoenix Nights where they audition the acts for the club? If he had managed to capture that spirit with the glossy big budget layered on top he would've been on to a winner.

After this Kay will need his own Phoenix moment. I'm not knocking him for the sake of it, I just want Kay to regain what he had in his earlier work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

cosgrove80 wrote: »
    I thought that this was a massive disappointment .. You know the bit at the end of Phoenix Nights where they audition the acts for the club? If he had managed to capture that spirit with the glossy big budget layered on top he would've been on to a winner.

Eh ..
    - midgets on donkeys
    - 3 oul slappers doing Sugar Babes
    - saddo with dog & hoop
    - 'her mother died in that dress'

Plus, as earlier posted, segueing from Born to Run to Born Free to Free Nelson Mandela to Umbrella.

All nuggets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There were some really funny bits, but most of it was cringeworthy.
    I agree with what others have said that it should have been much, much shorter.
    Loved the Rick Astley bit though, when the woman fell out of the wheelchair.
    Also loved Cat telling the audience to f'ing shut up.
    I think the trouble is that Peter Kay is starting to believe the hype a bit with his singing.
    Although saying that all three acts were a lot better then most of those on the X factor on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

TarfHead wrote: »
    Eh ..
    - midgets on donkeys
    - 3 oul slappers doing Sugar Babes
    - saddo with dog & hoop
    - 'her mother died in that dress'

Fair enough. I guess the point I was trying to make (badly) was that it was as much the judges/panel's reaction to the acts, as the acts themselves that made it funny.

Dr. Fox and co. just trotted out the clichés, which was part of the joke I know but if you had judges that were as ridiculous as the contestants they could have created a surreal grotesque extravaganza rather than a flaccid parody

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I enjoyed it. I was delighted to see someone put the boot in to X Factor's manufactured, sob story bullsh*t.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I thought it was very funny. But think it could have been better at an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Sky + it so haven't seen it yet but single released today from the show apparently,collaboration with Gary Barlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

watched it last night on Sky+. It had its moments, but really not worth 90 minutes of my time. The missus asked what the difference was between this and actually watching the X-Factor, and she had a point.

Bring back Phoenix Nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I thought it was a poor show overall. I would have imagined that Kay has thrown out better material than what he used in this show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Was disappointed myself, as has been said it was too long and I almost found myself doing what I do when myself and the wife do when watching the X-Factor, forward past all the crap to just the singing. There was enough funny moments to make a decent 1 hour show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

anybody know if this is on again or if i can download it somewhere????????

Advertisement